Drone drifting away and not responding to rc commands.
1441 27 2022-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AdriMA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20377 ft
Spain

A month ago I travelled to Dublin. I went to Howth cliff and took my DJI Mini 2 out. The thing is, after flying it for two minutes or so without any kind of problem, the drone started to drift away from me. I tried to make it come back but it was not responding to fordward stick input (there was a bit of wind in the direction it drifted, but the aircraft was not fighting against it nor responding to my inputs). Since it was responding to up/down commands, I was able to land it (luckily, this happened over land). Then I took off again and everything seemed normal, but I was too scared to fly the drone over water. What could have caused it?

I attach the fligh log here.

DJIFlightRecord_2022-04-14_[13-29-51].zip

426.93 KB, Down times: 13

2022-5-14
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Upload your flight log to airdata, the experts on here will be able to analyse and report back on the issue if possible.
2022-5-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

He would do better to upload it to Phantomhelps logviewer, which generates a MORE useful csv than that created by Airdata.  Given that the attached log in post #1 is zipped he may have done that already but posting the Phantomehelp url is useful.

For convenience's sake I have done it.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/38V480946IV87PUUSFIM
2022-5-14
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-14 05:51
He would do better to upload it to Phantomhelps logviewer, which generates a MORE useful csv than that created by Airdata.  Given that the attached log in post #1 is zipped he may have done that already but posting the Phantomehelp url is useful.

Thank you very much.
2022-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I see three times (2:18, 2:21 & 2:27) where you pushed the right stick full forward but the drone was very sluggish and the speed never exceeded 0.6 m/s.
This was not caused by wind.
The issue is that when you push the right stick forward, the drone should tilt forward up to 30° which gives forward thrust - more tilt = more speed.
But these three times, the drone never tilted more than 10.8°.
This was a problem with the original Mini on early firmware but I don't remember seeing it happening with the Mini 2.

What it happened is a mystery.
Perhaps jjb might have an idea ??
2022-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-14 05:51

FYI .. the people that can read flight data don't need it uploaded to Airdata or Phantomhelp.
Just the .txt file is fine.
2022-5-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too have seen this behaviour, there is a way around it, change to cine mode and then back to normal or sports and it should be ok again, i don't know why but it seems like it goes into cine mode for whatever reason, like i said, i have encountered this on a few occasions, if i was to guess, maybe between 5 and 10 times.

Edit, it also feels a little like its in atti mode but that's all i can say on that, its just the way it feels at the time..
2022-5-14
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Labroides Posted at 5-14 06:12
I see three times (2:18, 2:21 & 2:27) where you pushed the right stick full forward but the drone was very sluggish and the speed never exceeded 0.6 m/s.
The issue is that when you push the right stick forward, the drone should tilt forward up to 30° which gives forward thrust - more tilt = more speed.

Hmm... That´s what I thought. Glad to hear I´m the only one whose Mini 2 is naughty haha. Thanks
2022-5-14
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 5-14 06:34
I too have seen this behaviour, there is a way around it, change to cine mode and then back to normal or sports and it should be ok again, i don't know why but it seems like it goes into cine mode for whatever reason, like i said, i have encountered this on a few occasions, if i was to guess, maybe between 5 and 10 times.

Edit, it also feels a little like its in atti mode but that's all i can say on that, its just the way it feels at the time..

So I´m not the only one... what a weird behaviour. Thank you for the fix tip, I won´t freak out the next time it happens.
2022-5-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AdriMA Posted at 5-14 06:43
So I´m not the only one... what a weird behaviour. Thank you for the fix tip, I won´t freak out the next time it happens.

If it is the same and it deffo sounds the same, then just change the modes, should be ok then Do us a favour though, if it does happen again and the fix works, could you let us know please, the more info we have about it the more we can fire at DJI, thanks
2022-5-14
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 5-14 06:49
If it is the same and it deffo sounds the same, then just change the modes, should be ok then  Do us a favour though, if it does happen again and the fix works, could you let us know please, the more info we have about it the more we can fire at DJI, thanks

Don´t worry, you can be sure that I will.
Cheers
2022-5-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Luxembourg

AdriMA Posted at 5-14 06:59
Don´t worry, you can be sure that I will.
Cheers

Much obliged and good luck
2022-5-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-14 06:13
FYI .. the people that can read flight data don't need it uploaded to Airdata or Phantomhelp.
Just the .txt file is fine.

Really? How so?

It is my understanding that the txt flight log from the Mini 2 is encrypted and can not be processed by any of the 'normal software' e.g CsvView, unless perhaps you have Mike Singer's''Flight reader''.
Certainly my CsvView-s, including the current 4.2.5 version will not process the txt flightlogs from my Mini 2-s or my FPV and 4.2.5 will not process the unzipped flightlog of post#1.

Without the latter it is my understanding that the only way to obtain decrypted flight logs for the Mini 2 etc. (Drones that use the FLY APP that create an encrypted txt flight log) is to upload the txt flight logs to either Phantomhelp's Logviewer or Airdata and then download the resulting csvs and then, either look at them directly, or process them with CsvView.

Am I mistaken?

From memory JJB has said that his FRAP uses Phantomehelp's csv and I believe the log gurus over on MavicPilots also use the Phantomhelp csv for encrypted FLY App flight logs. Certainly the Phantomhelp csv contains more information than the Airdata csv but there are a few things that can be found on Airdata that can not be found via the Phantomhelp.

So please, tell me, how are you able to read the Mini 2 txt flightlog without uploading it to either Phantomhelp or Airdata, I would love to know, it would be MUCH more convenient that having to upload them etc. etc..

2022-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-14 08:35
Really? How so?

It is my understanding that the txt flight log from the Mini 2 is encrypted and can not be processed by any of the 'normal software' e.g CsvView, unless perhaps you have Mike Singer's''Flight reader''.

Am I mistaken?
You're not very imaginative

So please, tell me, how are you able to read the Mini 2 txt flightlog without uploading it to either Phantomhelp or Airdata, I would love to know, it would be MUCH more convenient that having to upload them etc. etc..
Flight data people are clever enough to upload the txt file for themselves.
We don't need someone else to do it for us.
While you and the other guy were telling the OP to upload to those sites, I was already well into my analysis.

2022-5-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 5-14 16:01
You're not very imaginative..Flight data people are clever enough to upload the txt file for themselves.
We don't need someone else to do it for us.
While you and the other guy were telling the OP to upload to those sites, I was already well into my analysis...........

I have plenty of imagination but as you seem so keen to nit pick what people type and keen to give condesending replies, I thought I would give you a taste of your own medicine.
You said "the people that can read flight data don't need it uploaded to Airdata or Phantomhelp.".
"....don't need it uploaded to......" implies that those people have some other method of decrypting it, so I questioned it.
2022-5-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-14 16:49
I have plenty of imagination but as you seem so keen to nit pick what people type and keen to give condesending replies, I thought I would give you a taste of your own medicine.
You said "the people that can read flight data don't need it uploaded to Airdata or Phantomhelp.".
"....don't need it uploaded to......" implies that those people have some other method of decrypting it, so I questioned it.

Like I said ... you are lacking imagination

fyi ... what you think is "nitpicking" is just keeping things consise and accurate

2022-5-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I too would be interested to know how to use FRAP without the hassle of having to upload to phantomhelp and then download again just to get the CSV file, i find that i cant use FRAP without the CSV as it will not load the txt without it, unless of course, you're using a different program, if so be interested to know which, please?
2022-5-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 5-14 19:09
I too would be interested to know how to use FRAP without the hassle of having to upload to phantomhelp and then download again just to get the CSV file, i find that i cant use FRAP without the CSV as it will not load the txt without it, unless of course, you're using a different program, if so be interested to know which, please?

I too would be interested to know how to use FRAP without the hassle of having to uploadGood question, my not yet published FRAP converts off line txt to cvs.
But this extra option in FRAP isn't for free....
Busy with testing this extra feature out for few weeks or so.

cheers
JJB

2022-5-15
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 5-14 06:12

Hi,

In the log no reason to find for not acting on fwd stick input.

My MINI2 does the same sometimes, have to think and check all my screen recordings if there is common pre situation to get this behaviour.

What i do is 100% aft stick for short moment, zero stick ; than MINI2 does react on fwd stick.
In my experience this non reacting always at low altitude and close to HomePoint.
cheers
JJB
2022-5-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 5-15 03:25
Hi,

In the log no reason to find for not acting on fwd stick input.

When it 1st happened to me, I was testing the waypoints in Litchi, so it was on an automatic mission, cloudy day and about 1000m out, I think I cancelled the mission and tried to bring it back, I had no forward motion, up/down, roll and backwards was all fine. Now I think about it, I think I did a RTH and it was then that it was hardly doing anything, I ended killing RTH and up putting it into sports and it came home just fine. Since then it happened mostly when close to the home point, I just change modes now and it's fine after that.

I have to wonder if there is a common denominator, all i can think of so far is that it never happened before i used DH, possible coincidence?
2022-5-15
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

JJB* Posted at 5-15 03:25
Hi,

In the log no reason to find for not acting on fwd stick input.

Thanks for the analysis and the advice, now I know two ways around for the issue. Shouldn´t DJI step in and say something about it?
2022-5-15
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 5-15 04:01
When it 1st happened to me, I was testing the waypoints in Litchi, so it was on an automatic mission, cloudy day and about 1000m out, I think I cancelled the mission and tried to bring it back, I had no forward motion, up/down, roll and backwards was all fine. Now I think about it, I think I did a RTH and it was then that it was hardly doing anything, I ended killing RTH and up putting it into sports and it came home just fine. Since then it happened mostly when close to the home point, I just change modes now and it's fine after that.

I have to wonder if there is a common denominator, all i can think of so far is that it never happened before i used DH, possible coincidence?

Well, all I know is I have never used DH
2022-5-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AdriMA Posted at 5-15 04:28
Well, all I know is I have never used DH

OKi doki, thanks, that rules that out, i had a feeling  JJB* might though, that's what made me think of it.

The other thing i can think of is that we might have a dlckie firmware but then again, you're probably on the latest? i am not, i am on the prior... prob rule that idea out too lol
2022-5-15
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 5-15 04:40
OKi doki, thanks, that rules that out, i had a feeling  JJB* might though, that's what made me think of it.

The other thing i can think of is that we might have a dlckie firmware but then again, you're probably on the latest? i am not, i am on the prior... prob rule that idea out too lol

Yep, latest firmware. I should have cheked the forum before updating, my bad
2022-5-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AdriMA Posted at 5-15 04:46
Yep, latest firmware. I should have cheked the forum before updating, my bad

It cant be that cause im not on the latest, it just may well be a glitch in the matrix. Its something that needs resolving though but i cannot go through support as I'm not on the latest fw, has to be someone on the latest fw, app, flysafe.
2022-5-15
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 5-15 04:52
It cant be that cause im not on the latest, it just may well be a glitch in the matrix. Its something that needs resolving though but i cannot go through support as I'm not on the latest fw, has to be someone on the latest fw, app, flysafe.

That´s a good idea. I will contact them and tell you their answer here
2022-5-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

YOu can show them this thread, as 3 of us have it so far...
2022-5-15
Use props
AdriMA
lvl.1
Spain

Bashy Posted at 5-15 06:42
YOu can show them this thread, as 3 of us have it so far...

"After checking on the flight record, the situation you described was because the IMU and the compass were affected, it is recommended to calibrate them. If you are unable to calibrate them and decide to send them back for calibration, you could also feel free to let us know".

This is DJI´s response on the issue.
2022-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules