Trying to Register M3 with IAA (Irish Aviation Authority)
483 10 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177408 ft
Ireland

Hi,

Considering all the other stuff going on on the forum at present apologies for this rather low level boring question But?

I am trying to register the Mavic 3 on the IAA ( already completed on the CAA site in the Uk and no issues, but now we are out of the EU i need to register with the IAA as we regularly travel here)

The issue comes when they start asking for the Dimensions and Max speed of the M3.

I suspect they have a web site issue with the response to the Max Speed question as they want it in Free Form response but say it needs to be in m/s then in knot. So i suspect that will be a call to their support desk on that one.

However the issue beings to get more complicated when i need to answer the question on the dimensions, when i input the the dimensions as stated in the Appendix of the User Manual the response was rejected and i asked them for guidance and i got the following response:-

2.10 State the maximum dimensions of the UA in metres (e.g. for aeroplanes: the length of the wingspan; for helicopters: the diameter of the propellers; for multirotors: the maximum distance between the tips of 2 opposite propellers).

And they attached a 300 page EASA doc.

However trying to find the 2.10 reference has proven impossible.

Does anyone have any expierence of working with the IAA on this subject and could you possibly point me in the correct direction, I cannot find any reference to DJI specifying this dimension format so not sure what the correct measurement procedure is.

Thanks for your help

JohnW

2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have registered with IAA but for pro license and they should already have dimensions of M3.
Best bet is to email them, they can be slow to respond IE 48 hours, but they are usually very helpful. You can also call and talk to them.

Your drone top speed is 35.5 knots 64 kph (sport). 29.1 knots 54 kph (normal)
2022-5-17
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 11:32
I have registered with IAA but for pro license and they should already have dimensions of M3.
Best bet is to email them, they can be slow to respond IE 48 hours, but they are usually very helpful. You can also call and talk to them.

Hallmark,

Thank You.

I have tried to call them but you cannot speak directly to the Drone team now they intercept the call and pass on your message, and they respond by email.

Have you seen this method of reporting the dimensions of a Drone before? i was a little surprised, but i am still new to this so reverted to the DJI M3 user manual.

2022-5-17
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Hans Gruber_ Posted at 5-17 13:36
How silly and needlessly stupid!

It's a little different i agree, but as a visitor to Ireland i need to respect what they are trying to do, so will try and figure out how to get past this temporary hurdle, with a direct approach to them.

Thanks

John W
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ejwjohn Posted at 5-17 14:02
Hallmark,

Thank You.

I originally signed up with P4 drone and now just renew every 2 years , so then it was our instructor who filled all the paperwork in we just needed to supply confirmation of insurance. So the dimensions is obviously a new thing. I would imagine that they will need diagonal measurement from tip of say back left blade to tip of right front blade and you should be able to do this in MM. so maybe try measure this spread yourself and add in MM.
2022-5-17
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 14:23
I originally signed up with P4 drone and now just renew every 2 years , so then it was our instructor who filled all the paperwork in we just needed to supply confirmation of insurance. So the dimensions is obviously a new thing. I would imagine that they will need diagonal measurement from tip of say back left blade to tip of right front blade and you should be able to do this in MM. so maybe try measure this spread yourself and add in MM.

Good Idea will do
2022-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there JohnW. Good day and thank you for giving out these information. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have registered there DJI drone with the IAA ( Irish Aviation Authority ) can give out the best information and recommendation with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2022-5-17
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Hello,

Ok, I managed to get the required specs for the Maic 3 input in a way that IAA accepted them.

There were 2 issues with the system.

1. Although they ask for Max speed to be input in m/s and then knots in reality they only require the m/s figure which I put in as 21 (Sport Mode)
2. The dimensions field required the measurement as they responded in their email to me (see initial thread post) so taking hallmarks suggestion I measured the prop distance as suggested and the IAA system accepted that, the figure I used was 0.605mm.

The other info they were looking for was the MTOM and that was straightforward at 0.895

In regards to point 2 above I suggest the IAA use the helpful Tips section on their website to include the information about how to input the expected measurements they are looking for....just a thought.

So let's hope that they accept this information and I can progress with my application.

Thanks for the Help.

JohnW
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ejwjohn Posted at 5-17 22:40
Hello,

Ok, I managed to get the required specs for the Maic 3 input in a way that IAA accepted them.

Good job, enjoy your flying.
2022-5-17
Use props
ejwjohn
lvl.3
Ireland

Thanks,

Not going to much flying at present as DJI feel my M3 has an issue and I need to return it for them to review, and I cannot do that until I return to the UK.

But anyway I am nearly 100% there now with all IAA requirements.

So ready to go next time

Thank You

JohnW
2022-5-18
Use props
fans766a742d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 283901 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve just registered with the IAA and have the registration no. to be placed on the aircraft. Cost me €30, or £25
2022-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules