Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RC range - poor?
12345678Next >
29499 300 2022-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyBoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2953153 ft
Ireland

Picked up my Mini 3 Pro this morning with the RC screen and took it out for it's first flight this evening.

I'll get straight to it. The range disappointed me greatly. I only have one previous drone - the original Mini with it's WiFi transmission. I live in an area that has a lot of signal intereference for some reason (mobile connection is absent most of the time, TV signal comes and goes) With the Mini I would get to about 500 meters max in any direction at say 50 meters in altitude before signal loss.

With Occusync 3.0 on the Pro I assumed I would at least get a good bit better than that. Based on the first flight it's pretty much the same, maybe an extra 10% in certain directions. I was looking forward to casually flying it from my house but unless there is a problem with it that can be fixed by firmware it looks like it's not much more adventurous than my first Mini which is bizarre.

I even put my phone in my pocket on airplane mode to see if it would help but no deal.

Earlier today I had seen youtube videos commenting on losing connection around 500 - 1000 meters and assumed it was unfinished firmware or some other problem but I'm seeing the same.

I'm not looking to bash something I just spent €1000 on, just looking to see if anyone is experiencing similar?
2022-5-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13395489 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I don't have mine yet but I would assume it has something to do with the built in Antennas.
2022-5-17
Use props
FlyBoo
Second Officer
Ireland

Suren Posted at 5-17 11:09
I don't have mine yet but I would assume it has something to do with the built in Antennas.

Possibly. Don't want to sound overly negative, it's an amazingly smooth drone that flys like butter. I may just be unlucky to be in a particularly bad area for ANY kind of radio transmission. There is a radio tower booster a few miles away and a wind farm just across the road. Maybe if I take it out into a "regular" area I will get much better performance. I just thought with such an upgrade in transmission over the Mini 1 I would get corresponding performance.
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I will have next week and I can test rurally with both RC and RC-N1. Surprised at it being this bad. There is another test going around with 5000 m and he also matched it with RC-N1. Although why anyone would fly this drone 5000m away is a bit beyond me .
2022-5-17
Use props
FlyBoo
Second Officer
Ireland

Like I said it may just be my house. I'll give you an example of the insane interference here. If I have my phone paired wirelessly with my car, listening to podcasts that I've downloaded or whatever I have no issues until I park outside my house and suddenly I get stuttering / interference in the playback. I experience this no where else (and my job is on the road most of the day) When I'm at home I miss most phonecalls because I have no mobile reception 90% of the time at all.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 93626696 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I sent you a private message.    Not good discussing ranges over 500m in public.  
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 11:16
I will have next week and I can test rurally with both RC and RC-N1. Surprised at it being this bad. There is another test going around with 5000 m and he also matched it with RC-N1. Although why anyone would fly this drone 5000m away is a bit beyond me .

I’m finding mine temperamental.  Good range on one flight then on another 200m and the video is glitching.    Time will tell more but with only one battery it’s slow going.  
2022-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I order on launch day direct from DJI but not due to receive it until June 6 or 7.  I was definitely hoping for much better range than that.

I've seen two videos and read several comments now about the lack of range which is a bit perturbing.  Hopefully, it is a bug, that it can be fixed with a firmware update.

Also not sure if the FCC vs CE version RC will have the same problem.  
2022-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 11:24
I’m finding mine temperamental.  Good range on one flight then on another 200m and the video is glitching.    Time will tell more but with only one battery it’s slow going.

That's really a bit concerning DA.  Do you think the apparent lack of range will be the same on the FCC version of the RC?  

I really can't wait for DJI to issue a firmware to make the DJI RC Pro controller compatible with the Mini 3.  I think it will function a bit better....but I could be wrong.
2022-5-17
Use props
FlyBoo
Second Officer
Ireland

I suppose I should state my drone is a CE model.
2022-5-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would be really disappointing if the range performance doesn't live up to the pre-launch hype, at least to some extent.
2022-5-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 11:24
I’m finding mine temperamental.  Good range on one flight then on another 200m and the video is glitching.    Time will tell more but with only one battery it’s slow going.

I sense that you're a bit underwhelmed so far - having followed the several threads on the issues.
Hope things pan out eventually.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-17 11:37
That's really a bit concerning DA.  Do you think the apparent lack of range will be the same on the FCC version of the RC?  

I really can't wait for DJI to issue a firmware to make the DJI RC Pro controller compatible with the Mini 3.  I think it will function a bit better....but I could be wrong.

I’ll pm you DT.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-17 11:54
I sense that you're a bit underwhelmed so far - having followed the several threads on the issues.
Hope things pan out eventually.

It’s hard to say after just two flights.  I’ve had mixed results.  
2022-5-17
Use props
Yaros1
Captain
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I heard from many people that the range on Mini 3 is poor, it might be something that DJI will fix in later firmware verions.
2022-5-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 11:57
It’s hard to say after just two flights.  I’ve had mixed results.

Let's hope for a better result tomorrow.
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-17 11:37
That's really a bit concerning DA.  Do you think the apparent lack of range will be the same on the FCC version of the RC?  

It may not be a problem with the RC it could also be the aircraft. Remember the antennas in the aircraft are also in a different place than on the mini 2. It should be easily tested using RC-N1 to see if this gets further than RC . My guess is this might have something to do with the craft . “If there is a problem” 2/3000 metres is more than enough for me so long as signal and downlink remain strong within that distance.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 5-17 12:03
Let's hope for a better result tomorrow.

I’ll pm you.  
2022-5-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good man
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Done.   It doesn’t pay to discuss range in public.
2022-5-17
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 12:11

Understood
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2022-5-17
Use props
Wiz33
Captain
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm someone will try their RC-N1 from the mini 2 with it when they get theirs and we'll see if it does any better, If not then it might be the area you're flying in.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wiz33 Posted at 5-17 12:55
I'm someone will try their RC-N1 from the mini 2 with it when they get theirs and we'll see if it does any better, If not then it might be the area you're flying in.

It’s not that simple.  The n1 with mini 2 vs mini3 and new rc range for me in one specific location is about the same.  But sometimes the n1 glitches video more than the DJI rc and a few hours later the reverse is true.   Sadly either way it’s less than half what’s advertised.  
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 13:06
It’s not that simple.  The n1 with mini 2 vs mini3 and new rc range for me in one specific location is about the same.  But sometimes the n1 glitches video more than the DJI rc and a few hours later the reverse is true.   Sadly either way it’s less than half what’s advertised.

if you cannot get further range from it, will you return it?
2022-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-17 11:56
I’ll pm you DT.

Thanks.  PM received and read.  
2022-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 12:04
It may not be a problem with the RC it could also be the aircraft. Remember the antennas in the aircraft are also in a different place than on the mini 2. It should be easily tested using RC-N1 to see if this gets further than RC . My guess is this might have something to do with the craft . “If there is a problem” 2/3000 metres is more than enough for me so long as signal and downlink remain strong within that distance.

You make a great point hallmark.  Could well be the drone and not the controller.  Also, I always stay within VLOS so it shouldn't be an issue for me.  Time for me to quit whimpering about it.  
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-17 14:47
You make a great point hallmark.  Could well be the drone and not the controller.  Also, I always stay within VLOS so it shouldn't be an issue for me.  Time for me to quit whimpering about it.

Well I fly like that 95% of the time, but I want a really good connection thats all . I was hoping to have mine tomorrow as Im off to Sweden on Thursday but doesn’t look like it will arrive until Friday now. No harm Ill take the Air2s and RC pro “how bad” .
2022-5-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-17 14:53
Well I fly like that 95% of the time, but I want a really good connection thats all . I was hoping to have mine tomorrow as Im off to Sweden on Thursday but doesn’t look like it will arrive until Friday now. No harm Ill take the Air2s and RC pro “how bad” .

I ordered directly from DJI on release day.  I did split the order as I wanted the FMC with extended batteries but did not want that to delay getting the Drone and the RC screened.  I chatted with DJI support and they said it would ship 5/31 and I "should" have it by 6/6 or 6/7.  Unfortunately, I taking my live aboard boat on an excursion from Florida into the Caribbean and I leave on 5/31.  So my grandson has graciously agreed to sign for it when it comes in, update the firmware and change the batteries for me.  Only catch is he wants to give it a quick check flight for me.  I told him no problem.

He doesn't know I bought a 2nd one for him for his birthday in July.  I'm thinking he will be really surprised  as before he has always got my hand downs.  
2022-5-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-17 14:59
I ordered directly from DJI on release day.  I did split the order as I wanted the FMC with extended batteries but did not want that to delay getting the Drone and the RC screened.  I chatted with DJI support and they said it would ship 5/31 and I "should" have it by 6/6 or 6/7.  Unfortunately, I taking my live aboard boat on an excursion from Florida into the Caribbean and I leave on 5/31.  So my grandson has graciously agreed to sign for it when it comes in, update the firmware and change the batteries for me.  Only catch is he wants to give it a quick check flight for me.  I told him no problem.

He doesn't know I bought a 2nd one for him for his birthday in July.  I'm thinking he will be really surprised  as before he has always got my hand downs.

Good Job “spoil them while you can ;+)” sounds like a great trip. Still plenty of summer when you get back to use it . I also split my order FMC to arrive 05/06 all good .
2022-5-17
Use props
dshinsel
lvl.1
United States

It will be interesting to see if the range improves with the new firmware update released today (or a future update).  What version do you have installed?  Also, I wonder if it will be the same with the RC-N1 Controller?
2022-5-17
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

ok im not going to spoil the conversation as we don't know if there is even an issue yet.

but something tells me that isn't the way radio waves work.  if you can't get good range, something is wrong.  how can the range be "all good" as long as you can still see the drone but never mind if the drone goes out of sight?  even the short range will be less than optimal or what more it could be.  if dji advertises a long range and you get a much shorter range, something is wrong.  and when you go to sell your drone and the recipient cares, you'll start to care too.  you think i'm going to buy a motorcycle that will only go 120mph because the speed limit is 80/85mph and i don't plan to go faster than 100?  so it's ok if i can only get it goes 120mph when the spec says 190?  no, something is wrong with that bike.

this needs to be resolved one way or another before it blows up.  otherwise range-gate sounds like the early gps-gate conversations and why it maybe took so longer to recognize the issue....people said a couple minutes is ok for my needs (it's only once a day), until it wasn't ok.

if faa lifts vlos, you have a dud.  im telling you, nobody will be happy with a 1.5 mile range $1000 drone; that's going to be a disaster.  look at the videos on yt, you think those are all within a mile or two?  if the autel nano was launched with a 2 mile nano range, you guys would be lmfao.  but apologize for dji?  dji don't blow this launch, fix this.
2022-5-17
Use props
djiuser_co43r6PJI8ux
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1851703 ft
Australia

I live in out back Australia so range is important my air 2s gets  5to7klm there's no regulation on distance out in middle of Australia. So range is compromised by the rc pro built in antenna's .maybe dji will sort it out with firmware upgrades
2022-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there FlyBoo. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please fly your new DJI Mini 3 Pro to a different location for us to be able to isolate the issue. In addition, the signal between the DJI Mini 3 Pro and the remote controller is most reliable when the remote controller is positioned towards the DJI drone as depicted below. Thank you.

2022-5-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its not about the distance for me, its about the signal strength, my friend did a distance test with his Mini 2 and got 5.6km in FCC which tells me its a good strength, even in CE it was still impressive. I know my mini 2 can get around a church with out any connection lost, i cant see that happening with the Mini 3, certainly not yet anyway, DJI's max transmission distances are not holding up at present, i am disappointed, i was on the fence re screened remote, I'm not on it regarding the whole shabang
2022-5-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Discussing it in public is no real problem everyone does it
2022-5-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Captain
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes all sounds disappointing to me. None of the so called influencers have said this yet. Sad as that is misleading the public and if they knew they should be ashamed of themselves
2022-5-17
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 5-17 20:43
Yes all sounds disappointing to me. None of the so called influencers have said this yet. Sad as that is misleading the public and if they knew they should be ashamed of themselves

I agree there, one video i came across suggested that they were not allowed to, I'm not sure i believe that myself but, ya never know, I cant see it being this bad for long though, something is amiss and will be rectified in either using the controllers properly, cause lets face it, not everyone holds them right or a FW fix
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 5-17 13:50
if you cannot get further range from it, will you return it?

As long as it does what the Mini2 can do then I will keep it,    my main reason for the upgrade was the gimbal,   on the Mini2 it cannot hold -90 degrees and move even slightly,  whereas this is rock solid.
2022-5-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 5-17 22:25
I agree there, one video i came across suggested that they were not allowed to, I'm not sure i believe that myself but, ya never know, I cant see it being this bad for long though, something is amiss and will be rectified in either using the controllers properly, cause lets face it, not everyone holds them right or a FW fix

DC Rainmaker answered that,  he said the NDA doesnt not explicitly say no range tests but it does say you have to obey local laws.
2022-5-17
Use props
12345678Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules