1328 24 2022-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cossty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141506 ft
Romania

Hello my friends!

In Sardegna, Italy, our rented car was broken into and all our belongings were stolen, including the drone (DJI mini 2, the whole fly more combo kit).

We filed a complaint with the carabinieri and they recommended that we try to locate her, if we can.

The drone is associated with my DJI account.  

Is there any way we can find it if someone tries to use it?

Or somehow report it stolen and can't be used!  

Thank you for the help!
2022-5-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Cossty. I am sorry to read and to know that your DJI Mini 2 was stolen. Since this unfortunate event happened, it would be best to report this issue to your local authorities what had happened, In addition, tracking the DJI Mini 2 would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Fly Application. Again I am sorry for the trouble and please stay safe always.
2022-5-18
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-18 19:18
Hello there Cossty. I am sorry to read and to know that your DJI Mini 2 was stolen. Since this unfortunate event happened, it would be best to report this issue to your local authorities what had happened, In addition, tracking the DJI Mini 2 would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI Fly Application. Again I am sorry for the trouble and please stay safe always.

I have already reported to the authorities.
So now thieves can enjoy my drone ..... and nothing can be done?
2022-5-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cossty Posted at 5-19 10:08
I have already reported to the authorities.
So now thieves can enjoy my drone  ..... and nothing can be done?

sorry for your loss.  but yes, that is usually what happens when thieves steal your stuff; they unfortunately get to enjoy it.  which is one reason why it's a crime.  if they had stolen the car, there would be no way to disable that either.  the reason why mobiles and computers are different is because they have highly sensitive personal information on board so we demand the higher level of security.  personally i would not buy a drone that i didn't have full and complete control over myself and me only but perhaps one day the manufacturers will decide to add it and then take on the enormous challenges that it brings.
2022-5-19
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

The Saint Posted at 5-19 15:27
sorry for your loss.  but yes, that is usually what happens when thieves steal your stuff; they unfortunately get to enjoy it.  which is one reason why it's a crime.  if they had stolen the car, there would be no way to disable that either.  the reason why mobiles and computers are different is because they have highly sensitive personal information on board so we demand the higher level of security.  personally i would not buy a drone that i didn't have full and complete control over myself and me only but perhaps one day the manufacturers will decide to add it and then take on the enormous challenges that it brings.

I do not agree with you. The comparison between cars and mobiles or computers is something else.

In the case of mobile phones, you can easily make them unusable for thieves, both android and apple, as well as laptops and computers (at least make it harder to disable this type of protection).

The idea is that all electronic goods that have the possibility to be online, and are stolen, you should be able to make them unusable to thieves.

In the case of a drone, it would be very easy to display a warning message before take-off (This drone has been reported stolen. Take-off is forbidden.), Same as the warnings messages of enhanced or restricted areas.

Then the GPS coordinates and / or phone details to be recorded and sent to the authorities or owner. These are already details!

Any buyer with good faith would refuse to buy or use this type of drone or electronic equipment and, I believe, would go to the police and report the seller, at least this I will do!

Remember, we must fight against crimes like this, not searching reasons or excuses for the thieves.
2022-5-19
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

Well said Cossty.
2022-5-19
Use props
neoborg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

What's the point of us binding our drones if it doesn't actually do anything?

Ideally I'd like to be able to block my drone to stop it being flown by anybody other than myself.  If the drone is turned on and connected to the app, I would expect the app to verify the serial number of the drone before allowing it to fly.  If the drone is blacklisted, then the GPS coordinates, the names of surrounding wifi  access points and other identifying information should be shared with the owner in the interests of preventing crime (theft).

When flying my drone, I sometimes have random strangers talking to me about the drone.  But I always mention to them that it can report it's location to DJI at any time and this mostly wows people.  I also hope that it has put people off trying to run off with my drone, although nobody has tried.  But I always worry about having my drone, controller and phone stolen from me while I'm flying or off-guard when changing batteries.
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cossty Posted at 5-19 22:28
I do not agree with you. The comparison between cars and mobiles or computers is something else.

In the case of mobile phones, you can easily make them unusable for thieves, both android and apple, as well as laptops and computers (at least make it harder to disable this type of protection).

like everyone else, you probably did not feel as passionate about this idea until you became a victim of theft.  did you refuse to buy the drone or demand to the manufacturer they make it more secure before you were robbed?  the sad truth is most consumer don't care or don't want this.  and the manufacturers don't want it either because it not a easy as you mentioned.  question for you:  if it's this easy, why do you think it hasn't been done already?
2022-5-20
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-20 05:44
like everyone else, you probably did not feel as passionate about this idea until you became a victim of theft.  did you refuse to buy the drone or demand to the manufacturer they make it more secure before you were robbed?  the sad truth is most consumer don't care or don't want this.  and the manufacturers don't want it either because it not a easy as you mentioned.  question for you:  if it's this easy, why do you think it hasn't been done already?

It's actually quite easy to do.

Both Google and Apple do this with their devices. It takes very little bandwidth and space to send/store a set of GPS coordinates to a database. The DJI Fly app already does way more heavy lifting every time you end a flight and it uploads the flight data to DJI's servers.
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 5-20 07:00

Both Google and Apple do this with their devices. It takes very little bandwidth and space to send/store a set of GPS coordinates to a database. The DJI Fly app already does way more heavy lifting every time you end a flight and it uploads the flight data to DJI's servers.

question for you:  if it's this easy, why do you think it hasn't been done already?
your answer:  ??????
my answer:  because it's not that easy.  if you look at the big picture, it's way more involved than you think.  it took 15+ years or more before mobile phones could do it.  anybody can lock up a piece of electronic equipment and disable it but there's more to it than just hitting a button.

bottom line:  it ain't going to happen.
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

blue_canyon21 Posted at 5-20 07:00

The DJI Fly app already does way more heavy lifting every time you end a flight and it uploads the flight data to DJI's servers.
Except that it doesn't.
Your app can't upload data to DJI's servers unless you have set it to do that and have an internet connection to enable it to happen..
It cannot happen automatically.
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cossty Posted at 5-19 22:28

The idea is that all electronic goods that have the possibility to be online, and are stolen, you should be able to make them unusable to thieves.

Your drone and controller also have the ability to work normally without any connection to DJI.
It's not like a phone that only works when connected to a network.

2022-5-20
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Simple solution, have a PIN code that must be entered each time it is flown, same as when you turn on a phone you have to enter the 4 digit code to use it.  the drone is in contact with the app no matter which app is used so why not?
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rockbyter Posted at 5-20 09:02
Simple solution, have a PIN code that must be entered each time it is flown, same as when you turn on a phone you have to enter the 4 digit code to use it.  the drone is in contact with the app no matter which app is used so why not?

useless 4-digit pin code im a thief and i can crack it in under 2 hours.  the only thing a pin code is good for is to keep someone from picking up your device and browsing into it while you are not looking.  or in this case, keep your kid from launching the drone after you set it down.  not going to slow down or stop a thief.
2022-5-20
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-20 07:18
The DJI Fly app already does way more heavy lifting every time you end a flight and it uploads the flight data to DJI's servers.
Except that it doesn't.
Your app can't upload data to DJI's servers unless you have set it to do that and have an internet connection to enable it to happen..

The question wasn't whether it would do it automatically. It was whether it could do it or not. It can and does do it if you set it to and are connected to the internet. If you have it set but aren't connected, it will store it and upload it later.

My point is that it's not a difficult process. DJI either hasn't thought about it or just doesn't want to do it.
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 5-20 10:11
The question wasn't whether it would do it automatically. It was whether it could do it or not. It can and does do it if you set it to and are connected to the internet. If you have it set but aren't connected, it will store it and upload it later.

My point is that it's not a difficult process. DJI either hasn't thought about it or just doesn't want to do it.

nice.  dji should think about collecting full gps data from all dji drones, storing it, and then uploading it to chinese servers anything time it gets an opportunity to do so.  yeah, dji hasn't thought about it.  and yeah, dji doesn't want to do it.  ok, this is all new to us.  /s
2022-5-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Actually, they may not be allowed to do it as per privacy concerns.
2022-5-20
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 5-20 10:47
nice.  dji should think about collecting full gps data from all dji drones, storing it, and then uploading it to chinese servers anything time it gets an opportunity to do so.  yeah, dji hasn't thought about it.  and yeah, dji doesn't want to do it.  ok, this is all new to us.  /s

Oh, from the moment you install the DJI app, it is collecting data and uploading what it can when it can. There is no doubt about that.

What I'm saying is that they either haven't thought of or don't want to do anything useful to the end user with the data.
2022-5-20
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

The Saint Posted at 5-20 10:47

Hmmm, you only see one point and nothing else. Do you have any solution to this or just say it is not possible in any of the proposals of other users!

You ask me:  if it's this easy, why do you think it hasn't been done already?
My answer: Because maybe there are not so many drone stolen, because you can make an insurance on the drone, because is more profitable to have user to buy new drones and to buy DJI care refresh.

You said "it took 15+ years or more before mobile phones could do it.  anybody can lock up a piece of electronic equipment and disable it but there's more to it than just hitting a button."

So there is possible, and technically it's very easy. Legally that's is were is a small problem, but as there is a precedent (Apple and Google) and this aspect should not be so complicated!

Next you said "did you refuse to buy the drone or demand to the manufacturer they make it more secure". I ask you: Do you have an alternative? Any producer have this implemented? So ... if I want to play with a drone I buy the drone ho fulfill my needs! perfect does not exist!

I accepted the fact, BUT any manufacturer wants to know the opinions of the users in order to improve the products in the future (mini 2 vs mini 3, already almost everything that the users of mini 2 complained has improved to mini 3). So, if many of us will like to have this feature, maybe they will think to added in the future!

Also you said "bottom line:  it ain't going to happen." Ar you so sure about this? Are you from Matrix? Just kidding, but this attitude is ..... You are not holding the absolute truth! I really hope in near future to have this feature!

"dji should think about collecting full gps data from all dji drones, storing it, and then uploading it to chinese servers anything time it gets an opportunity to do so"

Again this is just a minor aspect, and you know, DJI IS from China.

2022-5-20
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

Labroides Posted at 5-20 07:21
The idea is that all electronic goods that have the possibility to be online, and are stolen, you should be able to make them unusable to thieves.

Your drone and controller also have the ability to work normally without any connection to DJI.

Yes they are work normally without any connection to DJI, But not forever!
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cossty Posted at 5-20 12:26
Hmmm, you only see one point and nothing else. Do you have any solution to this or just say it is not possible in any of the proposals of other users!

You said "it took 15+ years or more before mobile phones could do it.  anybody can lock up a piece of electronic equipment and disable it but there's more to it than just hitting a button."

comrade cossty, you haven't thought this through and you're getting hung up on one tiny piece "how to make it work."  of course there is a way to make it work, the technology is available today.  but it's much bigger than that and unfortunately this thread is probably not the place to get into all the details.  the bottom line is customers don't want this and/or they are not willing to pay for it....which is why we don't have it.

if you disagree and you feel it is helpful to explore those details, please start with telling me (again, sorry if i missed it) exactly what you are asking for.  and, i will respond with my thoughts.   this isn't the first time this topic has come up and it been explored for literally years....and here we are.  let me see if i understand the basic ask:  "You would like to be able to remotely disable the drone (prevent it from flying) should it end up lost or stolen, correct?"

Just so you know where i'm coming from, i don't want this feature in my drone; i am against it.  but...my opinion doesn't count.
2022-5-20
Use props
Cossty
lvl.2
Romania

The Saint Posted at 5-20 12:39
comrade cossty, you haven't thought this through and you're getting hung up on one tiny piece "how to make it work."  of course there is a way to make it work, the technology is available today.  but it's much bigger than that and unfortunately this thread is probably not the place to get into all the details.  the bottom line is customers don't want this and/or they are not willing to pay for it....which is why we don't have it.

if you disagree and you feel it is helpful to explore those details, please start with telling me (again, sorry if i missed it) exactly what you are asking for.  and, i will respond with my thoughts.   this isn't the first time this topic has come up and it been explored for literally years....and here we are.  let me see if i understand the basic ask:  "You would like to be able to remotely disable the drone (prevent it from flying) should it end up lost or stolen, correct?"

Ok comrade.
You made your point.
Thank you!
2022-5-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cossty Posted at 5-20 12:44
Ok comrade.
You made your point.
Thank you!

ok sure but that's wasn't my point.  there's just way too much downside to implementing this just to theoretically stop a thief which won't stop him from stealing your drone.  criminal don't stop stealing stuff just because of this:  only the resale value goes down a little and the thief goes hard at work to defeat the lock going forward.  in the meantime, the person who is really hurt is the unsuspecting victim (receipt of stolen goods).

few get gratification from thinking you have terminated the continued use of your equipment should it get stolen unlike a computer or phone where you are eager to stop even more serious damage to yourself after the theft happens.
2022-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cossty Posted at 5-20 12:30
Yes they are work normally without any connection to DJI, But not forever!

I wouldn't bet on that ... mine has not been in contact with DJI for many years.
2022-5-20
Use props
Nerdyspain
lvl.1
Flight distance : 994104 ft
Spain

wow man so sorry to read that ! hope karma gives to the thieves what they deserve...

2022-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules