FAA integration and Geofencing is WAY wrong
852 13 2022-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KryosChaos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1572595 ft
United States

I know I am probably dreaming to get this to work, however I would like to propose this.

DJI give 107 certified pilots the ability to disable your geofencing and turn off the various items we have that are unnecessarily restrictive.  

I will state, I understand why you have taken the steps of pushing things like geofencing to prevent issues by people who are new and less knowledgeable about the law and where it is safe to fly.

I will use the example of airport runways,  DJI extends the airports a fair distance out from the physical runways.  MANY times this are not even close to being correct and are significantly more restricting and actually wrong about the existing airspace.  The FAA shows completely different versions of what is legally allowed to fly.  
A second example is I was speaking with a new and inexperienced pilot and asked how he was able to get the shot he was demoing from his DJI drone.  He said I was up at 400' like the fly app said I could do.  The issue is that it is Controlled air space is well beyond the area of where the flight took place.  Another glowing instance of how DJI has it wrong.,

My thought is give those of us that have chosen to get our 107 certificate the ability to enter that in the APP - verify it is legit and registered to me as the owner and then give us the ability to turn off and keep off the various flying zones (keep restricted areas).  

This is probably one of our biggest reasons for wanting to choose other drone manufacturers.  I have even myself considered switching to a company without these zones that are on the DJI side.

So i ask DJI to look into the idea of giving a certified person this ability to shut off the zones and geo-fencing.

2022-5-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sounds like mistakes in the DJI geo map should be reported to DJI by emailing flysafe@dji.com
2022-5-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

This has been asked many times before. The answer is simple, DJI do not even want to manage the NFZ map, much less get involved in determining who is qualified to fly in them.
2022-5-19
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Yes, we've discussed this a bunch.  The DJI Flysafe database is NOT meant to be a replica of FAA classified airspace.    They don't claim it is, and it is not.  It is meant to keep pilots out of "trouble".  Remember, they deal with tons of countries with different airspace regulations, and different pilot certifications.

DJI's airport zones are patterned after an international standard.  If you wants some "fun" reading, start at page 34 of this document, https://www.icao.int/APAC/Meetings/2015%20WAWG1/an14_1ed_1951.pdf

Yes, it is a total pain for those of us in the US to get FAA approval and then get DJI approval, and in some cases you only need one or the other.  But if you plan your flights, neither one of those should come as a surprise as they are both well documented.  

In summary, I'm not saying anyone should "like it".  I'm saying calling it "incorrect" is not the right thing.  It's not a replica of FAA controlled airspace.  
2022-5-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Brings up a question.  Is there any US law which specfically states a drone has to have GeoFencing (or similar)?  
2022-5-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-19 17:55
Brings up a question.  Is there any US law which specfically states a drone has to have GeoFencing (or similar)?

There is no US law that requires DJI to implement GeoFencing.  
2022-5-20
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-19 12:23
Sounds like mistakes in the DJI geo map should be reported to DJI by emailing

yeah... that is a waste of time to my knowledge... i would venture to say it is more wrong than anywhere close to right
2022-5-20
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-19 15:20
This has been asked many times before. The answer is simple, DJI do not even want to manage the NFZ map, much less get involved in determining who is qualified to fly in them.

I agree... and they do it very badly... the theory is if they verify we have passed the test turn off the crap that they keep saddling us with.  in this day and age that should be something fairly easy to do and have the engineers just create a way to ok... here is the pro features have a blast.
2022-5-20
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

JEZ2 Posted at 5-19 17:27
Yes, we've discussed this a bunch.  The DJI Flysafe database is NOT meant to be a replica of FAA classified airspace.    They don't claim it is, and it is not.  It is meant to keep pilots out of "trouble".  Remember, they deal with tons of countries with different airspace regulations, and different pilot certifications.

DJI's airport zones are patterned after an international standard.  If you wants some "fun" reading, start at page 34 of this document, https://www.icao.int/APAC/Meetings/2015%20WAWG1/an14_1ed_1951.pdf

I get that but my concept is we verify that we have knowledge by getting the 107 cert... that basically says ok... the ball is in your court and they can wash their hands of it... and we don't find the big brother bs from DJI who is second-guessing this... the key is we could fly without the bs and it is nothing more than a verification unlock where it says you are the pilot go do your thing
2022-5-20
Use props
KryosChaos
lvl.3
United States

to my knowledge there is no such law... but I am not in the field to tell you that as I am not a lawyer.
2022-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No, it was an agreement between the FAA and a number of drone manufacturers some years ago. Except for DJI, most of those manufacturers have long since gone bust.
2022-5-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-20 14:51
No, it was an agreement between the FAA and a number of drone manufacturers some years ago. Except for DJI, most of those manufacturers have long since gone bust.

Unless there is an unknown law, then there isn't any legal-reason not to disable Geofencing.  Whether it be via DJI adding the ability too or owner saying to heck with any warranty left and disabling Geofencing via a hack.
2022-5-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 5-20 17:26
Unless there is an unknown law, then there isn't any legal-reason not to disable Geofencing.  Whether it be via DJI adding the ability too or owner saying to heck with any warranty left and disabling Geofencing via a hack.

Having put it in place, DJI are unlikely to disable it. And the reasons for it being there have not changed.
2022-5-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 5-20 18:31
Having put it in place, DJI are unlikely to disable it. And the reasons for it being there have not changed.

I agree it is unlikely DJI will disable GeoFencing or allow owners to choose to disable it.

But I do see the "reason for it being there have" changed.  From multiple OP stories like this one, it is clear DJI system has "over-kill" problems.  And at least in U.S. there is FAA's App to guide pilots as to where not to be flying, unlike before.

Admittedly, the FAA App wouldn't do any good in case of errant drone "A Fly Away".  But we have been repeatedly told "Fly Away" never happens.  Out goes that argument ...  

Solution is for DJI to improve GeoFencing to where boundaries are accurate and for owners drone to allow authorized over-rides when boundaries are "over-kill".

2022-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules