1102 8 2022-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quasiones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2575 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

When my iPhone is connected to my home Wifi rather than cellular, some parts of Fly App appear not to work, both the location map (if I click top left on the home screen) and 'Fly Spots' give me a blank white screen.  I have many other apps on my iDevices and have not seen the same before.   

Anyone seen and resolved the same?

Thanks!
2022-5-22
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Malaysia

No problem with Fly 1.6.1 on Android. But I don't think IOS or Android has anything to do with it.

It sounds more that the app doesn't have access to the Internet or very slow.
Is your connection fast enough and your ISP isn't blocking sites?
Also could be DNS set on your router. I have set DNS to 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) on my router. I saw some other problems like updating of DJI product due to use of the standard DNS settings of their Internet provider.
2022-5-22
Use props
Magnum P.I.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140085 ft
United States

Try clearing your cache data on Iphone.  Also try deleting and reinstalling app.
2022-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Quasiones. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try to uninstall an reinstall the DJI Fly application ( https://www.dji.com/dji-fly ) to see if the issue will still persist? In addition, please sync all of your flight records before uninstalling the DJI Fly application on your mobile device for you not to loose your previous flight information. If the issue persist kindly please try using a different recommended mobile device for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.
2022-5-22
Use props
Quasiones
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for all the replies...

I now have the issue resolved using the clues above, my steps/thinking was as follows just in case anyone else encounters the same.

It happened on a newly installed app on a fresh iPhone and iPad so reinstalling the app was ruled out as a solution
It is not bandwidth, I have plenty so I ruled that out
I tried with my iphone to my corporate VPN when connected my home wifi the issue went away - so, something on my home network that is different to when it is bypassed.  Interesting!!!
I use a PiHole to block adverts and malware on my network so checked this next but the problem occurred even when I disabled or bypassed it.  So I ruled out the filters I have installed. (Also, the PiHole was not showing any blocked requests from my iPhone)
I checked and I have no geo restrictions on my network (Unifi) that might be causing the problem (I should also get an alert if this were the issue) - Ruled that out.
I disabled traffic inspection on my router to rule that out.
I then tried manually setting cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1) on my iPhone as suggested by @JohnDG and the problem resolved instantly.  My network used google DNS (8.8.8.8) and has never (as far as I know) stopped any other app working.  Very odd!
So, what is it about google DNS that stops the app working I wonder?  Maybe it is a combination of google DNS with something else on my network? (I will test with google DNS when I am on another wifi network...)
Anyhow, I have now changed my network to use cloudflare DNS rather than google so do not need to manually set it on my iPhone and everything is working perfectly.

PS Maybe an error message with a clue rather than a blank white screen would be helpful DJI?

All is good!
2022-5-23
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

Quasiones Posted at 5-23 01:38
Thanks for all the replies...

I now have the issue resolved using the clues above, my steps/thinking was as follows just in case anyone else encounters the same.

DNS is a translation from url's to an IP number. Every DNS provider can add or disable certain addresses. Althou it is strange 8.8.8.8 (google) would do so.
Anyway, good you got it resolved.

For the app itself it's an unreachable node. Well, maybe it could give a 505-error like you would see on a website that can't be reached instead of just a white screen.
2022-5-23
Use props
Quasiones
lvl.3
United Kingdom

JohnDG Posted at 5-23 02:16
DNS is a translation from url's to an IP number. Every DNS provider can add or disable certain addresses. Althou it is strange 8.8.8.8 (google) would do so.
Anyway, good you got it resolved.

Done some more testing, 8.8.8.8 works if I am on an external network so it's definitely something going on in my Switch/Router but a very odd one!   I've posted in their support forum.
2022-5-23
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Malaysia

Quasiones Posted at 5-23 10:28
Done some more testing, 8.8.8.8 works if I am on an external network so it's definitely something going on in my Switch/Router but a very odd one!   I've posted in their support forum.

Can be a problem in the firmware of your router indeed.
I had once a problem with one of my routers when using VPN's. Had to restore an older firmware. In the next version of the router's firmware the problem was solved.
2022-5-24
Use props
AlisaJ21
lvl.2

India

JohnDG Posted at 2022-5-24 06:46
Can be a problem in the firmware of your router indeed.
I had once a problem with one of my routers when using VPN's. Had to restore an older firmware. In the next version of the router's firmware the problem was solved.

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this switched never to a completely blank Home Screen on iPhone because Apple doesn't allow users to remove all screens. However, you can achieve a similar look with two methods:-
Move all apps to another screen:-
1. Enter wiggle mode by long-pressing on any app icon on your Home Screen.
2. Drag all app icons one by one to the next Home Screen until your first Home Screen is empty.
Use a single invisible app and hide other screens:-
1. Enter wiggle mode and swipe right to find an empty Home Screen, or create one by dragging an app to the right edge of the screen.
2. Take a screenshot of this empty screen.
3. Add any app (you can remove it later) to this empty screen.
4. Tap the dots (...) at the bottom to enter the Home Screen overview.
5. Uncheck all screens except the one with the single app.
6. Remove the app you added in step 3.
This will leave you with a single screen that appears blank.
More effective assistance below.
4-15 22:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules