Drifting while hover indoor
2200 7 2022-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kmvNZroSTsCy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 288438 ft

Sweden

Hi, I know this is kind of a dumb question but is it normal for my drone to be drift a bit from it take off positon ? Like the drone will sometime drift to the right or left for 3-5cm and then either standing there or coming back to it's old position and also decend / ascend for 2-3 cm up or down. The light was good so my drone down sensor works fine. There is no GPS indoor of course, and I fly with a Mini 2. So my question is : Is it normal for a drone to be drift out of it position a bit when flying indoor with no GPS ?

Note : I calibrated IMU, compass and gimbal

Thanks you guys so much for answer / Tri
2022-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Without GPS, position holding is provided by the VPS sensors.
VPS needs a good lighting and a recognisable pattern or texture to work properly.
If the lighting isn't good enough or the floor surface doesn't have a good pattern, you will see some drifting.

Here's what the specs suggest:
Vertical: ±0.1 m (with VPS), ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal: ±0.3 m (with VPS), ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
3-5 cm is well within specs, so is normal.
2022-5-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Tri. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend flying your DJI Mini 2 indoors as the environment indoors may have interference and caused an incident and also during low light condition as the vision sensors may not work properly. In addition, if you really need to fly indoors kindly please use a DJI Mini 2 Propeller Guard and activate the Payload mode on the DJI Fly application. The DJI Mini 2 Propeller Guard protects the propellers and other objects from damage. Thank you.
2022-5-27
Use props
djiuser_kmvNZroSTsCy
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-27 02:08
Hello there Tri. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend flying your DJI Mini 2 indoors as the environment indoors may have interference and caused an incident and also during low light condition as the vision sensors may not work properly. In addition, if you really need to fly indoors kindly please use a DJI Mini 2 Propeller Guard and activate the Payload mode on the DJI Fly application. The DJI Mini 2 Propeller Guard protects the propellers and other objects from damage. Thank you.

Ok I will remind myself next time when I fly indoor. But what does the Payload mode actually do ?
2022-5-27
Use props
djiuser_kmvNZroSTsCy
lvl.2

Sweden

Labroides Posted at 5-27 01:11
Without GPS, position holding is provided by the VPS sensors.
VPS needs a good lighting and a recognisable pattern or texture to work properly.
If the lighting isn't good enough or the floor surface doesn't have a good pattern, you will see some drifting.

This is where I let my drone hover on. The light seems ok and the floor texture is not too complicate so the VPS still works well I guess. But thanks to you now I know my drone is still fine

2022-5-27
Use props
Corsairoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779049 ft
United Kingdom

How about this then: Shot with Mini 2.  Inside, of course, prop guards and in payload mode.

2022-5-30
Use props
dnddad324
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

RE: Drifting while hover indoor

djiuser_kmvNZroSTsCy Posted at 5-27 02:36
Ok I will remind myself next time when I fly indoor. But what does the Payload mode actually do ?

Payload mode compensates the extra weight of the propeller guards.
2022-5-30
Use props
Viper2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23944 ft
United States

Tried flying inside when I first received mine and instantly encountered the drifting.  Lack of experience on controls led me to zig when I should zag and hit the wall or other objects.... gave up on that!
2022-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules