4764 34 2022-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
enricorc_cz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609390 ft
Czechia

Hi everyone,
today i tried to take video in 10bit D-Cinelike mode and created comparison between 8bit and 10bit... 10bit version seems to be less colorful - is it okay?   For me it seems to be 8bit better - I love colorful pictures.... And you?

2022-5-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, that is quite the difference.  
2022-5-31
Use props
WernerD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

In 8bit the drone itself does colograding, thus making it more appealing.
In 10bit cinelike (flat color profile) the color grading must be done in the video editor. Because of the 10bit you have four times more colors to grade without any loss.

So that's no useful comparison and the result is no surprise.
2022-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, that is exactly what you need!
Less color = good.
And also very important : 'less contrast'.

So you have more room for matching the color to your desired taste and (or) footage from other camera's.
But it comes at a cost : large files. (more editing times etc. etc).
So most of the time people who use it, know why they need it and are willing to pay that price.

2022-5-31
Use props
enricorc_cz
Second Officer
Czechia

WernerD Posted at 5-31 05:51
In 8bit the drone itself does colograding, thus making it more appealing.
In 10bit cinelike (flat color profile) the color grading must be done in the video editor. Because of the 10bit you have four times more colors to grade without any loss.

Ah, Thanks for explanation.  
2022-5-31
Use props
enricorc_cz
Second Officer
Czechia

Montfrooij Posted at 5-31 05:59
Yes, that is exactly what you need!
Less color = good.
And also very important : 'less contrast'.

Thanks for explanation. I'll learn more about it and try to play with in video editor..
2022-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

enricorc_cz Posted at 5-31 06:14
Thanks for explanation.

No problem.
2022-5-31
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Not sure how D-Cinelike looks, but in D-log another similar 10 bit color profile from DJI before grading it looks horrible, it looks like someone made a mistake a forgot to add color as it looks like a barely visible black and white video with no contrast or color saturation. All the color details are hidden inside the video and not visible by just playing a flat color profile in video player. After grading, i.e. Davinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X (Mac OS), Adboe Premier and many others, the video comes to live and shows "true" colors with deep shadows, bright highlights, and smooth color gradients in blue,i.e. sky and other colors. Also 10 bit HDR videos look more contrasty, the brightest areas have brightness of 700 nits via DJI default camera max luminance, while non HDR 8 bit color is normally up to 250 nits , maybe 300 nits maximum.  The only thing is to take advantage and to fully enjoy 10 bit color, I think you need an HDR monitor or HDR TV, but even if you don't have one, you can still see benefits of 10 bit color on a non HDR monitor in smooth color gradients and more contrasty / more vivid video quality.
2022-5-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is right.  The D-cine option gives you millions more colours but you have to colour grade.   Here’s an example -
2022-5-31
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I think the only ones you may get away without necessity of color grading is HLG 10 bit HDR.
2022-5-31
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I never understood hal exactly a flat profile is better but with grading it's Ok and You always can brag You footage is 10 bit
2022-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there enricorc_cz. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. Kindly please refer to the post give above by WernerD on post #4 on the difference between 8bit vs. 10bit D-Cinelike. Thank you.
2022-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mzp Posted at 5-31 06:24
Not sure how D-Cinelike looks, but in D-log another similar 10 bit color profile from DJI before grading it looks horrible, it looks like someone made a mistake a forgot to add color as it looks like a barely visible black and white video with no contrast or color saturation. All the color details are hidden inside the video and not visible by just playing a flat color profile in video player. After grading, i.e. Davinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X (Mac OS), Adboe Premier and many others, the video comes to live and shows "true" colors with deep shadows, bright highlights, and smooth color gradients in blue,i.e. sky and other colors. Also 10 bit HDR videos look more contrasty, the brightest areas have brightness of 700 nits via DJI default camera max luminance, while non HDR 8 bit color is normally up to 250 nits , maybe 300 nits maximum.  The only thing is to take advantage and to fully enjoy 10 bit color, I think you need an HDR monitor or HDR TV, but even if you don't have one, you can still see benefits of 10 bit color on a non HDR monitor in smooth color gradients and more contrasty / more vivid video quality.

That is exactly what it is for!
2022-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

alex_markov Posted at 5-31 19:58
I never understood hal exactly a flat profile is better but with grading it's Ok and You always can brag You footage is 10 bit  
https://youtu.be/DMOW8ZpPi8E

Only those who need it understand why they do
(I never used DLog btw, D Cinelike was fine for me)
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

alex_markov Posted at 5-31 19:58
https://youtu.be/DMOW8ZpPi8E

That's a nice video Alex! Btw you uploaded to youtube as regular rec.709 SDR color space or maybe you exported it as SDR in a first place. If you want, you could try exporting in 10 bit rec.2020 HLG in Davinci Resolve and then uploading that HLG rendered video to youtube as HDR video. Just fyi, not sure if you care about exporting / uploading as HLG HDR ...
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-3 10:52
Only those who need it understand why they do  
(I never used DLog btw, D Cinelike was fine for me)

I really need 10 bit for exporting / rendering in HLG 10 bit HDR.
2022-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mzp Posted at 6-3 11:13
I really need 10 bit for exporting / rendering in HLG 10 bit HDR.

So you know what it does
(some don't get this)
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 5-31 09:41
This is right.  The D-cine option gives you millions more colours but you have to colour grade.   Here’s an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Dd8jGP6cA

Hey DAFlys. That's a nice video!. Btw you uploaded it to youtube as rec.709 SDR or maybe you meant it this way. I have been exporting in HLG 10 bit HDR and I think there is a way to upload HDR HLG to youtube as well. Just fyi, not sure if you care or need HDR on the output or to upload to youtube...
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-3 11:14
So you know what it does
(some don't get this)

Yes HDR has been a game changer for me in rendering video, watching HDR movies and playing HDR computer games. I think it's a next step toward making video colors and contrast look closer to reality than SDR. Maybe in 10 years there will be no more SDR content or no more SDR monitors as it will have become a minimal standard for all media - video, photo, tvs, monitors.
2022-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mzp Posted at 6-3 11:23
Yes HDR has been a game changer for me in rendering video, watching HDR movies and playing HDR computer games. I think it's a next step toward making video colors and contrast look closer to reality than SDR. Maybe in 10 years there will be no more SDR content or no more SDR monitors as it will have become a minimal standard for all media - video, photo, tvs, monitors.

I think it will take a bit longer, but eventually that will 'win'.
2022-6-3
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-3 11:35
I think it will take a bit longer, but eventually that will 'win'.

I think you are right. It will be the next move in this progression:

Rolling multiple pictures producing video-> Black and White standard video -> video broadcasting ->Color video-> Full HD video -> QHD video / 4k video -> high refresh rates 360hz full HD / 144hz 4k -> HDR video + high resolution + high refresh rate-> something next stage.
2022-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Mzp Posted at 6-3 11:56
I think you are right. It will be the next move in this progression:

Rolling multiple pictures producing video-> Black and White standard video -> video broadcasting ->Color video-> Full HD video -> QHD video / 4k video -> high refresh rates 360hz full HD / 144hz 4k -> HDR video + high resolution + high refresh rate-> something next stage.

Interesting times.
2022-6-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mzp Posted at 6-3 11:18
Hey DAFlys. That's a nice video!. Btw you uploaded it to youtube as rec.709 SDR or maybe you meant it this way. I have been exporting in HLG 10 bit HDR and I think there is a way to upload HDR HLG to youtube as well. Just fyi, not sure if you care or need HDR on the output or to upload to youtube...

Not really worrying about HDR for the moment as so few have HDR displays,   at least with 10bit you can choose which colours you want to include.
2022-6-4
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Yes for sure.
2022-6-4
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-4 00:35
Not really worrying about HDR for the moment as so few have HDR displays,   at least with 10bit you can choose which colours you want to include.

I hear you, most people don't have them yet.
2022-6-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mzp Posted at 6-4 07:16
I hear you, most people don't have them yet.

I literally dont know anyone with HDR capability beyond the iPhone in their pocket.  
2022-6-5
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-5 00:21
I literally dont know anyone with HDR capability beyond the iPhone in their pocket.

I think it's changing with HDR TVs people getting, seems like monitors are lagging behind being too expensive.
2022-6-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mzp Posted at 6-5 06:35
I think it's changing with HDR TVs people getting, seems like monitors are lagging behind being too expensive.

Here it seems most new tvs including the one I bought recently are all about Dolby Vision rather than Hdr10 or 10+.  How that would cope with YouTube hdr content I have no idea.   Works great with Apple TV though.
2022-6-5
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-5 09:54
Here it seems most new tvs including the one I bought recently are all about Dolby Vision rather than Hdr10 or 10+.  How that would cope with YouTube hdr content I have no idea.   Works great with Apple TV though.

Imho it would cope fine with HLG HDR 10 bit.
2022-6-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

They really are.
2022-6-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mzp Posted at 6-6 03:50
Imho it would cope fine with HLG HDR 10 bit.

When I get some time I will have to give it a try.
2022-6-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 6-7 22:15
When I get some time I will have to give it a try.

Sure, it's fun
2022-6-8
Use props
Fishman9898
lvl.1

United States

I know that Mastershots can be taken out of the default 1080P into 4K. Has anyone been able to get the Mastershots into the 10 bit D-cinelike?  
2023-3-23
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Fishman9898 Posted at 3-23 10:48
I know that Mastershots can be taken out of the default 1080P into 4K. Has anyone been able to get the Mastershots into the 10 bit D-cinelike?

Unfortunately there is no way, Dji has limited it to 8bit Normal Color only .
2023-3-23
Use props
Fishman9898
lvl.1

United States

Ranjan Posted at 3-23 19:08
Unfortunately there is no way, Dji has limited it to 8bit Normal Color only .

That's heartbreaking. Does anyone think that one of the updates can unlock 10 bit for Mastershots?
2023-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules