859 23 2022-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Next month one of my stepsons who got my first Mini is coming to visit. I have not heard from him or witnessed anything on my account that indicates he has used it. I am a bit disapointed with that because I could have given it to someone who would have used it. Any advice? I am leaning toward not mentioning it in case it crashed or was lost.

2022-6-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A dilemma. Maybe open the subject by mentioning some of your recent work - maybe show him some of the results. The onus is on him then to comment
2022-6-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, I had a similiar situation.  I had to accept that my hobby is not always the next generation's hobby.  : (

Maybe just let it roll.  In the end, once a gift is given, that is it.  
2022-6-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah that is quite the conundrum, especially if he crashed it and doesn't feel good about bringing it up.  I'd probably just not mention it and see if he happens to bring it up.  

For me I lucked out as my grandson shares my passion for flying drones.  He has been getting all my hand-me-downs and flying the props off of them.  Almost every time he comes over to visit he brings the Mini2 with him so we can go out and fly together.  He is really excited about the new Mini3P and I think he is ready to upgrade to a new drone for a change.  He has a birthday coming up so I have ordered him a new Mini3P.  Should be a big surprise...or at least I hope it will.

Good luck with addressing your situation and hope it works out for the best.
2022-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-7 03:48
Yeah that is quite the conundrum, especially if he crashed it and doesn't feel good about bringing it up.  I'd probably just not mention it and see if he happens to bring it up.  

For me I lucked out as my grandson shares my passion for flying drones.  He has been getting all my hand-me-downs and flying the props off of them.  Almost every time he comes over to visit he brings the Mini2 with him so we can go out and fly together.  He is really excited about the new Mini3P and I think he is ready to upgrade to a new drone for a change.  He has a birthday coming up so I have ordered him a new Mini3P.  Should be a big surprise...or at least I hope it will.

After some initial interest, my grandson is not inclined to want my used drones. So its off to Ebay with the Mini One when a Mini3 arrives.
2022-6-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 05:17
After some initial interest, my grandson is not inclined to want my used drones. So its off to Ebay with the Mini One when a Mini3 arrives.

Well, I'm sure somebody will get a good buy and appreciate the Mini 1 like you have.  

I guess I'm just super lucky that my grandson shares my passion for drones.  Don't get me wrong he has other things competing for his time such as go kart racing and motorcycle racing.  On top of that he still maintains a 4.0 grade point average.  Much smarter kid than I ever was.  
2022-6-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-7 09:57
Well, I'm sure somebody will get a good buy and appreciate the Mini 1 like you have.  

I guess I'm just super lucky that my grandson shares my passion for drones.  Don't get me wrong he has other things competing for his time such as go kart racing and motorcycle racing.  On top of that he still maintains a 4.0 grade point average.  Much smarter kid than I ever was.

Good to see the future generations flourishing, isn't it.
2022-6-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Ask him to bring it so you can fly together. If he is not interested, maybe suggest he give it to one of your other grandchildren. Or keep it around for when they visit.
2022-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GaryDoug. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have the same scenario can give out the best recommendation with regard to this matter. Thank you.
2022-6-7
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-7 10:36
Good to see the future generations flourishing, isn't it.

Indeed it is.  
2022-6-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just returned from a walk dodging the rain showers. No flights today
2022-6-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-8 03:38
Just returned from a walk dodging the rain showers. No flights today

Glad you were at least able to get in your daily walk.  Forecast calls for heavy rain here this afternoon.  I did find out this morning that I should get delivery of the Mini3P Fly More Kit Plus today.  The Mini3P/RC don't arrive until tomorrow but that gives me time to charge up those + batteries as they take an hour and 21 minutes each to charge per the User Manual.
2022-6-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-8 05:25
Glad you were at least able to get in your daily walk.  Forecast calls for heavy rain here this afternoon.  I did find out this morning that I should get delivery of the Mini3P Fly More Kit Plus today.  The Mini3P/RC don't arrive until tomorrow but that gives me time to charge up those + batteries as they take an hour and 21 minutes each to charge per the User Manual.

People who have received the Flymore package are saying the bag is a cheap and nasty thing of poor quality.
2022-6-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Well one hope I have is that I know kids are fickle and their interests change all the time.  Hoping that sometime beween now and next eight years my son comes around and says, he would love to fly drones.  : ).  There is always hope.
2022-6-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 6-8 07:01
Well one hope I have is that I know kids are fickle and their interests change all the time.  Hoping that sometime beween now and next eight years my son comes around and says, he would love to fly drones.  : ).  There is always hope.

First of all for all the readers, he is not my kid. He is my step son and over 60 ;-)

Second, my father made the same mistake with me, assuming I would follow in his footsteps. I never did and he hated me for that. He apologized for that about 2 years before he died...too late. I patted him on the back on his deathbed but would not hug him. Many, many years before I had discovered he was and had cheated on my mother multiple times and I never told her...and never will. Sometimes the kids know what is the best way.
2022-6-8
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-7 09:57

I guess I'm just super lucky that my grandson shares my passion for drones.  Don't get me wrong he has other things competing for his time such as go kart racing and motorcycle racing.  On top of that he still maintains a 4.0 grade point average.  Much smarter kid than I ever was.

I just saw your post..sorry to be late. I read an article in my local newspaper last week about the recent high school graduates. I was stunned to learn that the highest rated ones had a grade average of 8 or higher. What a bunch of BS! How is it possible to be two times better than perfect? Is this the type of math that we are teaching kids? Sorry, 2nd rant over.
2022-6-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-8 05:57
People who have received the Flymore package are saying the bag is a cheap and nasty thing of poor quality.

To me it seems the same quality as the Air 2S bag.  I've never worried about the bags as I always pre-order or buy a hard case for all my drones.  Just gives the drone so much more protection.  I prefer the Nanuk cases but they usually lag in getting out cases for new drones.  So in the meantime I picked up this case.

MINI3P Case.jpg
2022-6-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-9 05:06
To me it seems the same quality as the Air 2S bag.  I've never worried about the bags as I always pre-order or buy a hard case for all my drones.  Just gives the drone so much more protection.  I prefer the Nanuk cases but they usually lag in getting out cases for new drones.  So in the meantime I picked up this case.

Looks the business
2022-6-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 6-8 20:53
I just saw your post..sorry to be late. I read an article in my local newspaper last week about the recent high school graduates. I was stunned to learn that the highest rated ones had a grade average of 8 or higher. What a bunch of BS! How is it possible to be two times better than perfect? Is this the type of math that we are teaching kids? Sorry, 2nd rant over.

I hear you.  I was asking my grandson where he stood academic wise in his class and even with a 4.0 GPA he is 7th in his class.  He said that students get exit GPA points for taking college level classes while in high school.  He is taking all but one Advanced Class but no college level classes so he said he can never get over 4.0  Well so much for 4.0 being perfect.  
2022-6-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

It will for sure work.  It can hold up to 6 batteries but since I ordered the extended batteries I'm sure I'll never need to fill more than 3 battery slots.  I don't tend to leave a battery in the drone when I'm not flying.  It has a storage place under the RC where you can store the charging block, cables and spare props.  Under the RC there is a cut out to store ND filters in a small case.  Pretty well designed bag.
2022-6-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-9 06:10
It will for sure work.  It can hold up to 6 batteries but since I ordered the extended batteries I'm sure I'll never need to fill more than 3 battery slots.  I don't tend to leave a battery in the drone when I'm not flying.  It has a storage place under the RC where you can store the charging block, cables and spare props.  Under the RC there is a cut out to store ND filters in a small case.  Pretty well designed bag.

Despite anticipatin more stock for the 6th June, my favourite local authorized agent is now out of stock on all Mini3 versions and accessories.
I've resigned myself to seeing out the Summer with my existing 2 drones, until all the shenanigans of supply have settled down.
2022-6-9
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Sorry, Gary. You WROTE stepson, I READ grandson. I would still ask him to bring it next time. If he isn't interested in flying, sell/give it to someone else.
2022-6-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 6-9 06:39
Despite anticipatin more stock for the 6th June, my favourite local authorized agent is now out of stock on all Mini3 versions and accessories.
I've resigned myself to seeing out the Summer with my existing 2 drones, until all the shenanigans of supply have settled down.

Sounds like you're off the fence now.  

Didn't know shenanigans was a term used a lot in the UK.  I hear it in the US a lot paired with the word political.
2022-6-9
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I misread too Gary.  I think you are a good son to handle things the way you did.  
2022-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules