Auto Exposure in D-Cinelike not smooth in daylight
1985 13 2022-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2205121 ft
Spain

Hello all, I observed that in D-Cinelike mode with automatic exposure in a sunny day I haven't smooth light compensation between darker zones and brighter ones, the adjustment is performed with a small jumps. I did a video where you can see it (second 57-59):

I know that the best is do this in manual mode, but sometimes I prefer automatic exposure because of the light differences, and the camera should do an smooth transition.
when I record indoor or with less amount of light there is not such problem, the light adjustment is smooth, but with sunny day, as you can see, I haven't smooth exposure compensation.

I contacted with DJI support, but I would like to know if my unit is the only one with this issue or is a firmware or hardware issue affecting all units.

I have last firmware:
Drone: 01.00.0100
Remote: 01.00.0200
Application RC: 1.6.1
2022-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there RepublicOfAir. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. This information will be noted and will be forwarded to the designated DJI department for attention. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-6-7
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Have you set White Balance fixed?
2022-6-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is not very smooth indeed.
2022-6-10
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

do you actually understand how an auto exposure works?
and from your pictures i see no fault of the mini
2022-6-10
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

Geo_Drone Posted at 6-7 19:41
Have you set White Balance fixed?
Yes, the color balance was fixed.

A few days ago I meet two friends with mini 3 pro and the same with these two. In mid to low light the exposure adjustment is smooth but in sunny bright day, transitions are not smooth, as anyone can see in my video. I think is clearly visible and clearly it shouldn't be like this. I this is a programming bug.
2022-6-11
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

Indio Posted at 6-10 23:32
do you actually understand how an auto exposure works?
and from your pictures i see no fault of the mini

Yes, I know how the electronics manage changes of gain for ISO and the algorithm to calculate the curve for the exposure time.
As you can see this only occur with bright day, it seems like an overflow in calculation. Old cameras had poor power to calculate or the flexibility to create virtually infinite (big amount) steps in exposure time or Iso instead a full stop or even a quarter to get really smooth transitions, but even older drones can do these smooth transitions of iso or exposure time, as I said previously, nini3 do it when light is not so bright. I think in my video you can see clearly these light steps like an issue, not a normal way of working.
2022-6-11
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

RepublicOfAir Posted at 6-11 11:09
Yes, I know how the electronics manage changes of gain for ISO and the algorithm to calculate the curve for the exposure time.
As you can see this only occur with bright day, it seems like an overflow in calculation. Old cameras had poor power to calculate or the flexibility to create virtually infinite (big amount) steps in exposure time or Iso instead a full stop or even a quarter to get really smooth transitions, but even older drones can do these smooth transitions of iso or exposure time, as I said previously, nini3 do it when light is not so bright. I think in my video you can see clearly these light steps like an issue, not a normal way of working.

Yes, usually the transition is made in smoother algorithm, but probably is analyzed the full area...In your transition the medium gama was pretty different, with high differences, so the transition was seen very ruff as is not curve but harsh steps.
I agree that this can be made in curve type, this was made like in steps and not gradual curve.
Is all about the algorithm used....
2022-6-13
Use props
Kpax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18344951 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I agree and it seems to me that it also happens in "normal" (not cinelike). The worst of it is during an orbit. Everyone says "use the manual" but I want to see them do an orbit with the correct exposure for all 360 °.
I suspect that the automatic white balance is also problematic.
I don't have these problems with the Air2s, the exposure change is much smoother.
I'm not an expert in photography but maybe the sensor is too bright
2022-6-14
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

Kpax Posted at 6-14 06:43
I agree and it seems to me that it also happens in "normal" (not cinelike). The worst of it is during an orbit. Everyone says "use the manual" but I want to see them do an orbit with the correct exposure for all 360 °.
I suspect that the automatic white balance is also problematic.
I don't have these problems with the Air2s, the exposure change is much smoother.

I didn't observed in normal mode, but I fixed white balance but it produces the same issue. Please, could you share with us a video with the issue in normal mode? Thanks!
2022-6-14
Use props
Kpax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18344951 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

The scene at 1:25
Unfortunately I trashed the orbit, that was a good example
Probably in cinelike it is much more evident.
2022-6-14
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

Kpax Posted at 6-14 07:25
https://youtu.be/dcXH8F1qx3w?t=85

The scene at 1:25

Yes, it also does not have a smooth transition in exposure.
In my videos I haven't noticed, but as it isn't so evident as d-cinelike and most of my videos are recorded on d-cinelike.
I am sure that if I try it, the transition will not be smooth either.
2022-6-15
Use props
Canadian Pirate
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65075 ft
Canada

I guess we just use manual everything and adjust as needed in post.
2022-6-15
Use props
RepublicOfAir
lvl.2
Spain

Canadian Pirate Posted at 6-15 07:58
I guess we just use manual everything and adjust as needed in post.

Yes, I think most of us do, but when you have a big difference in light between areas of the same scene, auto exposure is better (when it works well) but you will have a part of the recording with noise after lifting it in post.
2022-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules