Used Mavic Pro vs New Mini SE...?
3124 14 2022-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
milnei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi folks.

Just after some advice and opinions on a choice I have.

I've currently got a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro Hero 3+ Black and I'm looking to move on to something a bit cleverer, quieter, has more flight time, better range and more portable.

I have a choice of either a new Mini SE, plus 1 extra battery or a 4 year old lightly used Mavic Pro and one or two extra batteries for the same price....

I'm leaning towards the Mavic Pro, since I'm used to drone flying, already have an Operator ID for the Phantom 2 and want something with better image quality, longer range and flight time.  The obstacle avoidance is also a big plus for me, but does it actually work, or is it a bit of a gimmick?

Both are much more compact than the Phantom 2, but how loud is the Mavic Pro compared to the Mini SE?  I'm always a bit self-conscious when flying the P2 that it's disturbing the peace.  Is the Mavic Pro still quite loud or is there not much between the Mini SE and the Mavic Pro?  I appreciate it's very subjective, but I'd like to understand what they're like from anyone who's flown both.

And what about upgrades to the Mavic Pro?  The SE is pretty new tech, so shouldn't need any upgrades, but with the Mavic Pro, it was obviously state of the art back when it was released but how does it perform compared to the latest Mavics?  Are there any simple upgrades (like props) that can be done to the Pro to improve flight time, performance or make it quieter?

Finally, how about FCC vs CE.  From what I've read the FCC hacking for the SE is a bit complicated, is it easier with the Mavic Pro, or is the CE range good enough to not need the FCC hack?

Thanks all.
2022-6-9
Use props
milnei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Used Mavic Pro vs New Mini SE...?

Hi folks.

Posted this on the Mavic Pro forum but also looking for some advice and opinions here on a choice I have.

I've currently got a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro Hero 3+ Black and I'm looking to move on to something a bit cleverer, quieter, has more flight time, better range and more portable.

I have a choice of either a new Mini SE plus 1 extra battery or a 4 year old lightly used Mavic Pro and one or two extra batteries for the same price....

I'm leaning towards the Mavic Pro, since I'm used to drone flying, already have an Operator ID for the Phantom 2 and want something with better image quality, longer range and flight time.  The obstacle avoidance is also a big plus for me, but does it actually work, or is it a bit of a gimmick?

Both are much more compact than the Phantom 2, but how loud is the Mavic Pro compared to the Mini SE?  I'm always a bit self-conscious when flying the P2 that it's disturbing the peace.  Is the Mavic Pro still quite loud or is there not much between the Mini SE and the Mavic Pro?  I appreciate it's very subjective, but I'd like to understand what they're like from anyone who's flown both.

And what about upgrades to the Mavic Pro?  The SE is pretty new tech, so shouldn't need any upgrades, but with the Mavic Pro, it was obviously state of the art back when it was released but how does it perform compared to the latest Mavics?  Are there any simple upgrades (like props) that can be done to the Pro to improve flight time, performance or make it quieter?

Finally, how about FCC vs CE.  From what I've read the FCC hacking for the SE is a bit complicated, is it easier with the Mavic Pro, or is the CE range good enough to not need the FCC hack?

Thanks all

2022-6-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would check availability of item parts like props and batteries for the Mavic pro.  Genuine parts seems to be few around these parts.  
2022-6-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Are there existing or pending weight limits/restrictions in Israel? That should be one other consideration.
2022-6-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there milnei. Good day and thank you for reaching out. It would be better to choose the DJI Mini SE for you to be able to use the latest functions and features of the DJI Drone. For reference I will post a DJI Link where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI Mini SE ( https://www.dji.com/mini-se?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Thank you.
2022-6-9
Use props
Muttley7
lvl.4
United States

The battery life of the Mavic  Pro is officially 27 minutes, and up to 24 minutes in practice.  The camera of the Mavic Pro is phenomenal for its time, and the Mavic Pro1 or Pro1 Platinum is eminently configurable with after-market "modifications" that can be identified with a little online research. After-market batteries for the Mavic Pro1 are readily available on eBay, and from my personal experience, the non-DJI batteries I have used are functionally identical to the originals and offer comparable longevity at a significantly lower purchase price.

If you like the concept of flying FULLY autonomous Litchi waypoint missions that range out for country miles over the hinterland while you relax indoors, then the Mavic Pro simply cannot be beaten by any drone make or model within $2K USD of the Mavic Pro1's very affordable price used.

As an owner of both the Mavic Pro1 and the Mavic Pro Platinum I recommend either model enthusiastically over any model whose name includes the word "mini".  Finally, if you seek out the Mavic Pro Platinum, you will be amazed at how whisper quiet the drone is even at full throttle.  Send it up over 150 feet AGL, and nobody will notice its presence due to the incredibly quiet props that are stock fixtures of this thoroughly capable example of DJI ingenuity that was crafted during what will come to be regarded as that company's golden age.  

2022-6-9
Use props
milnei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

Not sure why my location defaulted to Israel, I'm in the UK and I cannot find where I can change my location.  Any help there would be great.

The UK has (I believe) similar regulations as the US, and I already have the operator ID that's needed for any RC aircraft over 250g (As well as the P2, I fly a Bixler 3 plane and a E325 Mini Titan helicopter).

Looking at the comparison between the Pro and Platinum models, using the magic of excel, the only differences I can see (apart from the colour) are Max flight time of 27 vs 30 minutes, Max hover time of 24 vs 27 minutes and max distance of 8 vs 9.3 miles.  All those, to me, are to do with the newer more efficient props on the Platinum and no internal hardware changes.  Are the Platinum props compatible with the Pro?

Thanks Muttley7 for the aftermarket battery tip, have you got any recommendations, as there are so many out there.  Not sure yet how many cycles the used Pro batteries have, but what is the typical life of the OEM ones?

I've also been looking at some retrospective reviews of the Pro, and comparing it to the latest drones to see if the Pro is still a great used drone.  Although the ones I saw were from a year or so ago, the overwhelming opinion is that the Pro is still very good, and a used bargain compared to a new cheaper drone for the same money.

Looking like the Pro is the way to go......
2022-6-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MP is a great drone, but it has some things to consider.
The gimbal is quite a weak point.
Also getting 'good' batteries can be tricky.
2022-6-10
Use props
milnei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just an update.  I did buy the Mavic Pro and I'm really pleased with it, and have already been 3D printing my own upgrades such as extended undercarrige, replacement rear feet (one was broken) and phone/ipad adapter for the remote (since I cannot fit my iPhone 13 Pro into the display side grips, and when I used a spare iPhone 12 the face recognition camera and bottom slide bar are hidden).

Montfrooij, you're right, getting a spare battery is very tricky.  The drone only came with one battery, but it's quite fresh with just 21 charge cycles, but I do want an extra one.  Here in the UK used genuine batteries are well over £100.  Fortunately I'm travelling to New York next week and I see that the DJI Premier shop Camrise is on Broadway and they seem to have a lot of battery options in store from open box with low charge cycles to officially reconditioned and brand new batteries, so I'll be popping in to get some bits and bobs as well as a battery!

Shall not be taking my Mavic though as I hear that flying a drone is illegal anywhere other than in designated parks.......
2022-6-21
Use props
Mgozer
Second Officer
Switzerland

Even if the choice has been already taken, I'd like to add something since I own both drones.
Mavic pro is a great drone, very responsive and solid. It uses a great app to fly, you can set a lot of things, but it takes to carefully check several things in order to achieve good results.

Mavic Mini is a nice little toy, faster to setup and even at auto it delivers nice footage. Unfortunately it lacks several intelligent modes and uses a simplified app.

My choice? Mavic Pro. Unless I have to fly in urban areas.
2022-7-4
Use props
milnei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for your comment Mgozer.  I have enjoyed my first few weeks with the Pro, and agree that it does take some time to understand how to generate good looking results, but hey, that's what forums like this are for, to learn and maybe pass on new tips etc.

Did learn something last night though.  Don't try playing with some of the intelligent flight modes in your back garden, especially motion tracking your dog.  Fortunately no damage was caused during the inevitable sideways crash into a fence, but it was a valuable lesson...

2022-7-5
Use props
milnei
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-3 16:55
I would go with the Mavic Pro.  Still a great drone.  4K camera vs. 2.7K.  Much better RC range than the Mini SE.  Rollback to any firmware version.  Fully unlockable (NFZ & altitude) should you wish.  Fully autonomous Waypoint support via Litchi app.  A good all around bird.

https://youtu.be/lWvD3CFXxRM

Thanks DB, I'm very happy with the Mavic Pro.  Still trying to work out the best settings for video and photos, such an array of options, and then with ND filters it's quite a learning curve.

I haven't dabbled with Litchi yet, but have paid for the app, and I like the idea of the waypoint function so you can plan the flying and gimbal orientations beforehand without having to try to multi-task with manually flying and filming (us men aren't great at multi-tasking so Mrs M says)!

I'm interested in unlocking the altitude limit.  I did read through some of the comments on your excellent video you shared and it looks like nolimitdrones are no more....  How is this done these days?
2022-8-4
Use props
sh0wtime_FPV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209547 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-3 16:55
I would go with the Mavic Pro.  Still a great drone.  4K camera vs. 2.7K.  Much better RC range than the Mini SE.  Rollback to any firmware version.  Fully unlockable (NFZ & altitude) should you wish.  Fully autonomous Waypoint support via Litchi app.  A good all around bird.

https://youtu.be/lWvD3CFXxRM

Great video that works as a good showcase on just how capable the original Pro still is.
I'm another one of the people that purchased Litchi when I first got my Pro & still haven't tried it yet..

Thankyou
2022-8-15
Use props
Droningalex Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

milnei Posted at 6-9 05:14
Hi folks.     Posted this on the Mavic Pro forum but also looking for some advice and opinions here on a choice I have.     I've currently got a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro Hero 3+ Black and I'm looking to move on to something a bit cleverer, quieter, has more flight time, better range and more portable.     I have a choice of either a new Mini SE plus 1 extra battery or a 4 year old lightly used Mavic Pro and one or two extra batteries for the same price....     I'm leaning towards the Mavic Pro, since I'm used to drone flying, already have an Operator ID for the Phantom 2 and want something with better image quality, longer range and flight time.  The obstacle avoidance is also a big plus for me, but does it actually work, or is it a bit of a gimmick?     Both are much more compact than the Phantom 2, but how loud is the Mavic Pro compared to the Mini SE?  I'm always a bit self-conscious when flying the P2 that it's disturbing the peace.  Is the Mavic Pro still quite loud or is there not much between the Mini SE and the Mavic Pro?  I appreciate it's very subjective, but I'd like to understand what they're like from anyone who's flown both.     And what about upgrades to the Mavic Pro?  The SE is pretty new tech, so shouldn't need any upgrades, but with the Mavic Pro, it was obviously state of the art back when it was released but how does it perform compared to the latest Mavics?  Are there any simple upgrades (like props) that can be done to the Pro to improve flight time, performance or make it quieter?     Finally, how about FCC vs CE.  From what I've read the FCC hacking for the SE is a bit complicated, is it easier with the Mavic Pro, or is the CE range good enough to not need the FCC hack?     Thanks all

Get the mavic pro hands down.
No questions about it at all.
It's just better in everything.
You won't regret it.
2022-8-24
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi milnei,
I have 2 original Mavic Pros, and both bought used, and I've had 1 of them 3.5 years and the second 18 months (there is a story why I have 2). I have found both to be extremely reliable and with non of the problems I read about with the newer dji products, regarding replacement batteries, dji are apparently selling them again, but I have 3 3rd party batteries which have been completely reliable and exactly the same spec as the originals I have, does this help you? I don't know, but I do know, the original Mavic Pro is still a top drone, I get the impression with what I read is that with every new product dji release their quality  reliability appears to head south.
I just charge and fly, happy days.

2022-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules