Fly Safe Guide 1: How to Unlock a Restricted Zone
32311 32 2022-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Have you ever been in a situation: you may find some red or blue zones in the DJI app (e.g. DJI GO 4/DJI Fly) during a flight? If you would like to fly your drone in these areas, you need to unlock them first. This guide provides not only the introduction to DJI’s GEO System and Restricted Zones, but also the method for unlocking a Restricted Zone. So, let’s get started!

First question, what is DJI’s GEO System?

DJI’s Geospatial Environment Online (GEO) System is a geospatial information system providing DJI users with up-to-date guidance on areas where flight is limited due to safety concerns or regulations. It combines the latest airspace information, a warning and flight-restriction system, a self-authorizing unlocking mechanism for specific locations, and a minimally-invasive accountability system for those decisions. This system is often referred to as “geofencing”.

The most restricted one is of course Restricted Zones, which appear red in the app. A warning will prompt and flight is prevented. (We have another article introducing the Authorization Zones, or let’s say, the blue zones, tap here to read the details.)

But, what if a rescue mission should be executed in a red zone? Please follow the three steps below to unlock it:

Step 1: Prepare basic information.

• Personal information: Your name, email address, and phone number
  • Flight Controller serial number (Launch the DJI app, and go to About to find “Flight Controller SN”.)
  • Latitude and longitude of the area of interest
  • Radius and height of the area of interest, subject to the authorization document approved by the local government (Note: Some drones are not allowed to unlock flight above 500 m.)
  • Duration of the unlocking licenses: 1 year for personal users and non-authenticated organization users (incl. government units); 3 years for authenticated organization users
  • Authorization document that allows flight in the red Restricted Zones (Please kindly contact the local government to get it approved.)

After preparing these materials, tap this link and input the information to finish the first step. The process is as here: Authentication Application.

Step 2: Go to DJI’s Official Website to apply for an unlocking license.

After filling out the Authentication Application information, you can move to the next step of unlocking license application: Go to fly-safe.dji.com to submit an Unlock Request, check here: Unlocking License Application for the detailed process. Then, you will receive an email reply for the unlocking request result in an hour.

Step 3: Import the unlocking license onto your drone.

Once you obtain a positive result, welcome to the final step: Import the license onto your drone via DJI app, and please see below for instructions for different DJI apps: (Please make sure that your device has network connectivity before following this step.)

For DJI Fly, please click here.
Note: For FPV drones, please connect the Goggles to your mobile device through a data cable first, and then click here.

For DJI GO 4, please click here.
For DJI GO, please click here for iOS; and here for Android.

For DJI Pilot, please click here.For DJI Pilot 2, please click here.
For GS RTK, please click here.

For DJI Agras, please click here.
For DJI MG, please click here.

Should you need any further assistance, email flysafe@dji.com at any time. Please rest assured that our unlocking team provides 24/7 customer service.

Hope this article is helpful. If you have any questions or would like to share any ideas on future articles, please feel free to leave a comment below!

2022-6-20
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you Dji, very helpful!
2022-6-20
Use props
fansfdce2166
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78396 ft
China

This is exactly what I need right now.
2022-6-20
Use props
despacitoporelmundo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81706 ft
Spain

Very very much. This guide is very useful. More like this, please. ANd thank you.
2022-6-21
Use props
djiuser_CFwloWZfh2Ce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137493 ft
United States

Thanks DJI very informative
2022-6-21
Use props
azswift
First Officer
Flight distance : 13819 ft
United States

Love these guides.  Thank you.
2022-6-22
Use props
djiuser_9fp0C80BSVt6
New
Poland

These restrictions are so unbelievably dumb sometimes.. I live over a 1000 meters away from the custody, and I'm not allowed to use my device indoors, in my own flat, just to start it up and check if everything is OK! It's so ridiculous, I gave up trying to apply for this unlock.
Will be grateful for any help concerning the problem.
2022-6-22
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very good post and will help a LOT of pilots.
2022-6-23
Use props
Harry Jack
lvl.1

Pakistan

I have read this blog and I found it interesting. Thank you for communicating your article with us; I value your knowledge, which I seriously value
2022-6-29
Use props
StephanShere
lvl.1
Flight distance : 360705 ft
United States

djiuser_9fp0C80BSVt6 Posted at 6-22 06:49
These restrictions are so unbelievably dumb sometimes.. I live over a 1000 meters away from the custody, and I'm not allowed to use my device indoors, in my own flat, just to start it up and check if everything is OK! It's so ridiculous, I gave up trying to apply for this unlock.

Are you sure this is a geo-restriction and not a GPS issue?

Are you seeing unlocking messages and restricted zone warnings?
Are your GPS signals over 12?
2022-7-2
Use props
In Color
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42831 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why isn't the authorization web-app mobile-friendly? I don't fly with my laptop, I use my mobile phone or RC Pro controller, so why can't I submit a request from either of those? Oh, but the DJI store works perfectly from a mobile device!
2022-7-2
Use props
Svend Sandbaeligk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4807526 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Why should I ask DJI for permission to fly in my own country?? DJI no-fly zones are uot of line - has nothing to do with the Danish no-fly zones!!! DJI actually prevent me in flying, where I actually can fly, according to DANISH authorities! DON'T PLAY POLICE HERE!!
2022-7-17
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks
2022-7-21
Use props
FLY QUADS TV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621617 ft
South Korea

thanks
2022-7-24
Use props
FLY QUADS TV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 621617 ft
South Korea

Should I get another license first? and dji license?
2022-7-26
Use props
Mike_flight1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13 ft
United States

Welt at our flying field we have been there for over 25 years. We have a 476 foot asphalt runway 35 acres of flying area at Newport News Park. We are about 5 miles from Patrick Henry AP. A very few have drones. Three of us DJI Mavic Pro drones and have always had to fight DJI to get released to fly there. As far as I am concerned DJI has taken all the fun about flying their product. Today I got stuck for over two hours trying to get their faulting program to release our field. I gave up.Two of our pilots sold there products because of all the BS you have to go through at our field. Today I kept getting stuck at the activation area. DJI, do you think what you are doing is fair to the ones who abide to the rules and purchase your product. What really presses my button is the amount of time you have to spend every month trying to get a bad program to work each month. Why is the hell would ANY company want to put a customer through this kind of BS. Once at the field is enough, but to keep having to do this each month is BS! You can check my name, I am VP at this field and when someone confronts me about your product not working I suggest to them to sell it or keep plugging away. Your activation program needs some serious work and it needs to be way more user friendly.
2022-7-31
Use props
osaliki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 294072 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks...!
2022-8-9
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

Use to fly hely and planes, lately wanted to get a drone  and got a DJI  M3P, at same time wanted to compliance with UAS rules and got open A1-A3 certification (now not even required for drones < 250 gram).
I always thought pilot is responsible for the flight, to obey to the rules indicated by EASA ( and ENAC as I am in Italy), needs to have an insurance.
My questions:
1. What is the manufacturer role (DJI) in checking flight ?
2. Does DJI check if i a have a UAS license when i purchase or fly a drone over 250gr ?
3. Is DJI’s Geospatial Environment Online (GEO) System (https://www.dji.com/it/flysafe/geo-map) a duplicate of government agencies EASA/ENAC  maps ? (in Italy published on https://www.d-flight.it/web-app/)
4. Are also video recording subject to restrictions/checks ?
Grateful if someone can clarify.
2022-8-9
Use props
LFLots
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10434964 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Mat8861 Posted at 8-9 08:00
Use to fly hely and planes, lately wanted to get a drone  and got a DJI  M3P, at same time wanted to compliance with UAS rules and got open A1-A3 certification (now not even required for drones < 250 gram).
I always thought pilot is responsible for the flight, to obey to the rules indicated by EASA ( and ENAC as I am in Italy), needs to have an insurance.
My questions:

Hi Mat8861

1. What is the manufacturer role (DJI) in checking flight ?
Legally, none. The NFZ implemented by DJI is called "industry self regulation" to prevent accidents that could lead to much more restrictive laws. The PIC (pilot in command) is the sole responsible for complying with local regulations.  

2. Does DJI check if i a have a UAS license when i purchase or fly a drone over 250gr ?
No.

3. Is DJI’s Geospatial Environment Online (GEO) System (https://www.dji.com/it/flysafe/geo-map) a duplicate of government agencies EASA/ENAC  maps ? (in Italy published on https://www.d-flight.it/web-app/)
Not exactely. Some airports and most helipads are not in DJI database, and the NFZ implemented by DJI uses different radius versus local regulations. You have to check both.

4. Are also video recording subject to restrictions/checks ?
No.

2022-8-17
Use props
LFLots
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10434964 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

ALERT FOR CUSTOM UNLOCK USERS
And if someone from DJI could explain the logic behind this behavior I would greatly appreciate:

When we enable a Custom Unlock on the DJI Go 4, we can only fly within that area. The REST OF THE WORLD becomes a No Fly Zone. Why is that? Makes no sense... And the app just says "cannot take off", with no further info, so it takes much longer to figure out what is blocking the Drone and makes you loose critical moments of filming. Why not just show "Cannot take off outside Custom Unlock"?

Switching to the DJI FLY app, the instructions are very similar, but there is a twist: you CAN take off outside an enabled custon unlock, but if you fly into it, the drone gets trapped! It cannot come back to you, even if you are miles away, and it will not show any alert prior or during the blocking! That makes even less sense! I missed that small change on the manual, so ask me how I learned that... DJI must remove this trap. Or at least inform the reason when the drone is blocked midflight! So we can quickly figure out what is going on and disable it. Why not just show "Cannot fly outside custom unlock"?

You can find this behavior described on the manuals of the apps linked by DJI on the 1st post of this thread.

2022-8-17
Use props
Finn Terkelsen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 147674 ft
Denmark

Thank you DJi !
2022-9-14
Use props
EliteAZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9560 ft
United States

Glad unlocks have been fairly quick, but I still strongly believe those of us who went through the training and certification testing to get FAA licensed shouldnt have to jump through these additional hoops to fly. We should be able to submit our FAA107 and be given a green light since we know the rules.
2022-9-17
Use props
AndyAusmAquarium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165915 ft
Germany

thanks for information
2022-11-30
Use props
djiuser_pCCo5nk5cO5p
New
Poland

2022-12-31
Use props
djiuser_pS1JtxT5bCjN
New
United States

djiuser_9fp0C80BSVt6 Posted at 2022-6-22 06:49

Thank you. You have represented me on this issue. I just bought DJI mini 3 pro. It is my first drone in my life. I wanted to try my first flight indoor but I wasn't able to takeoff
2023-1-25
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Thanks for the Info
2023-2-10
Use props
PixelPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

Thanks for the info
2023-2-10
Use props
awsca041
New

India

Assignment Writing Service is deeply committed to make sure that we make a difference in the world. We guarantee that your assignments will not be stressful and that you will get excellent grades as a result. All of our products and services are of the utmost quality and efficiency for your reference.
do my assignment for me
2023-3-1
Use props
fans9e5eee86
New

British Virgin Islands

Hello all, I can’t take off cause it’s write
Can’t take off in a GEO zone
But ‘m not so I can’t ask to unlock this zone cause there is no zone
All my uptade are ok
Please need some help
2023-3-20
Use props
fans10899ad6
lvl.2

Australia

Thank you very helpful
2023-3-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans9e5eee86 Posted at 3-20 05:16
Hello all, I can’t take off cause it’s write
Can’t take off in a GEO zone
But ‘m not so I can’t ask to unlock this zone cause there is no zone

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. If you're encountering issues with the unlocking license/process, we highly recommend you contact our FlySafe team at (flysafe@dji.com). We appreciate your understanding.
2023-5-2
Use props
Zubayer.Khan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 770272 ft
Bangladesh

Thanks you Dji, very helpful!
2023-5-3
Use props
andrewgrue
lvl.1

United Kingdom