New Mavic Air2 won't fly at all
5079 28 2022-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TMac67
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46 ft
United States

HI DJI community! I just bought my first drone, Mavic Air 2. I got the Fly More package because why wouldn't I?? I also purchased the Smart Controller, and will keep the controller that came with the drone as a backup. I'm planning an epic trip to Scotland next year, and decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the drone and give myself plenty of time to learn to use it to capture what I want in Scotland.

So I've watched a ton of tutorials, gone through all the steps you're supposed to, activated the drone, registered the drone with the FAA, all batteries and devices are fully charged, I've connected the smart controller to the drone, and then took it out in my backyard for the first flight. I did the preflight check, all firmware is up to date, drone is in normal mode, and the controller said 'takeoff permitted'. So I very carefully used the joytick to raise it off the table i set it on, and ........nothing. Tried with the joystick again, still nothing. I tried using the takeoff button on the controller, still nothing.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point   and am reallllllly hoping someone here can help me get this very expensive toy up in the air! I truly appreciate any guidance or insight you guys might have.

Thank you!

2022-6-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You are most likely in a restricted zone, that is why it will not fly. Are you seeing any warnings on the screen?
2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-23 15:12
You are most likely in a restricted zone, that is why it will not fly. Are you seeing any warnings on the screen?

Thank you for your reply. I’m not seeing any kind of warnings on the controller screen. I checked the air map app, and also didn’t see anything that would indicate I’m in a restricted zone. How can I confirm if I’m in a restricted zone?
2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

To add to that, I do see a message in the controller that says Takeoff permitted
2022-6-23
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

Will the motors start if you use the stick commands? See video below. I know different drone but same stick commands appy to yours to start the motors.

2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

Falcoc Posted at 6-23 15:40
Will the motors start if you use the stick commands? See video below. I know different drone but same stick commands appy to yours to start the motors.

When I try moving the sticks, nothing happens. No movement on the drone and no message on the controller screen
2022-6-23
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

TMac67 Posted at 6-23 15:45
When I try moving the sticks, nothing happens. No movement on the drone and no message on the controller screen

I see. That's a strange one.
2022-6-23
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

The controller and drone may not be paired.  Have you tried both the controller and smart controller?  Also, the motors may not start if in a restricted zone.  Try the DJI Geo Zone map for restrictions.
2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

I’ve tried with both controllers, same result. Each time, I do make sure the controller is paired with the drone. Just now I tried again with the original controller, and at the top of the screen it showed my address them next to it “Recommended location”

2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

My house is the blue dot close to the top of the lake in the middle of the screen. Unless I’m missing something, I don’t believe I’m trying to fly in a restricted airspace.
0E03C98D-99C9-49D5-9FA8-1EBF31C7C871.png
2022-6-23
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

So auto takeoff button does not start the drone? What does it do exactly? Maybe screen record what you are doing so we can help.

You don't just push up on the sticks you have to initialise the motors if doing it manual that way, both sticks pulled inwards towards the back centre. But I don't recommend manual takeoffs if starting out...
2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

itsdavesdrone Posted at 6-23 17:32
So auto takeoff button does not start the drone? What does it do exactly? Maybe screen record what you are doing so we can help.

You don't just push up on the sticks you have to initialise the motors if doing it manual that way, both sticks pulled inwards towards the back centre. But I don't recommend manual takeoffs if starting out...
I tried auto takeoff, same result. I’ll try again tomorrow and record this time, then share here. As far as the sticks go, I pulled both of them towards me, hoping for at least a propeller spin, but…..again, nothing.
2022-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TMac67. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue that we are having with your DJI Mavic Air 2 and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try posting a short sample vice showing the issue for us to be able to see and can give out the best solution for this issue? Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-6-23
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I don't see any restricted area issue...you're just east of Denton and out of their airspace.

To start the motors, pull aft and out (7:30 and 4:30) or aft and in (4:30 and 7:30).  Do not pull straight back only. Or if you auto takeoff on the RC, make sure you are watching the screen when you push the button as you have to do something on the screen, too.

When you power up the RC and drone, are you getting video on your mobile device of what the camera is looking at???

2022-6-23
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 6-23 22:45
I don't see any restricted area issue...you're just east of Denton and out of their airspace.

I'll try again at lunch today, and pull the sticks in the way you described above.

I tried auto takeoff a couple of times, but got the same result. I did get a prompt on screen where I had to tap to take off, but still nothing.

Yes, I am seeing video from the camera when I use with either controller, so I know the smart controller as well as the original controller are connected and communicating with the drone.
2022-6-24
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-23 19:45
Hello there TMac67. I am sorry to read and to know about this issue that we are having with your DJI Mavic Air 2 and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try posting a short sample vice showing the issue for us to be able to see and can give out the best solution for this issue? Again, I am sorry and thank you.

I will take a short video at lunch today of what happens when I try to fly the drone, then share it here. Fingers crossed that that additional information helps to identify what the issue is.

Video to come in a few hours, once I step away from the desk for lunch. Thank you, everyone.
2022-6-24
Use props
TomBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 913891 ft
United Kingdom

When you tap the take off button ( small icon to the left of the screen) another box should pop up, if it does then you have to press and hold until the green circle goes all the way around that icon. Once the drone starts it will rise and hover to about 1.2m  (6 ft) and will stay there until you push on the sticks.
Good luck, and we welcome you to Scotland
2022-6-24
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

For manual take off, you have to pull both sticks back and then inwards, like Rustic17 described. For auto take off, you have to tap the take off button and another box will pop up, then you have to tap and hold on that one till it takes off, like TomBee described. If you are doing that, it would be interesting to see a video of you trying to take off, not just a screen recording and if you are doing the procedure correctly, then I would have to think something is wrong with that drone. But we will help you all we can here though.
2022-6-24
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

TomBee Posted at 6-24 11:41
When you tap the take off button ( small icon to the left of the screen) another box should pop up, if it does then you have to press and hold until the green circle goes all the way around that icon. Once the drone starts it will rise and hover to about 1.2m  (6 ft) and will stay there until you push on the sticks.

I tried auto takeoff again, and this time the way you described - waiting for the green circle to complete. Weird, there was no green that I saw before.......but regardless, that worked! Finally, my Air 2 became airborne!

Thank you so much!!! Now I know what I'll be doing with part of my day tomorrow!  
2022-6-24
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

Huge thank you to everyone that responded here, I was able to get my Air 2 airborne today, finally! I used auto takeoff, and this time held down the button on the screen until the green circle completed. I truly appreciate the help and hope you all have a great weekend
2022-6-24
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Now, the next thing to resolve is why moving the control sticks to the aft 45 degree positions doesn't start the motors.   Aft and both outboard or aft and both inboard should start up the motors.
2022-6-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Rustic17, just got my Mavic Air2 as well, already had the Smart Controller.  When craft and SC are linked, I pull both sticks towards me and to the inside,
then I get a notice to check  that the propellers are installed correctly, I check them and they are correct.  Then I tap a small button to start the motors.
Having the obstacle avoidance on I hear a beeping until the craft is up to about 7 or 8 feet, then the beeping stops.  I think we will have some fun with
these drones, and enjoy your trip.
2022-6-25
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

TomBee Posted at 6-24 11:41
When you tap the take off button ( small icon to the left of the screen) another box should pop up, if it does then you have to press and hold until the green circle goes all the way around that icon. Once the drone starts it will rise and hover to about 1.2m  (6 ft) and will stay there until you push on the sticks.

Thank you, I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited about any other trip I’ve taken!
2022-6-25
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-25 15:35
Rustic17, just got my Mavic Air2 as well, already had the Smart Controller.  When craft and SC are linked, I pull both sticks towards me and to the inside,
then I get a notice to check  that the propellers are installed correctly, I check them and they are correct.  Then I tap a small button to start the motors.
Having the obstacle avoidance on I hear a beeping until the craft is up to about 7 or 8 feet, then the beeping stops.  I think we will have some fun with

Agreed, loads of it and thank you!
2022-6-25
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 6-25 15:35
Having the obstacle avoidance on I hear a beeping until the craft is up to about 7 or 8 feet, then the beeping stops.  I think we will have some fun with

The beeping is probably because you or an obstacle is in the obstacle sensor range triggering a warning.  Once you climb to 7-8 feet the sensor doesn't see the obstacle.  This is very common when you do a hand takeoff.  Also, once you clear the propellers installed correctly message, the manual motor start using the control toggles should work.
2022-6-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 6-25 22:23
The beeping is probably because you or an obstacle is in the obstacle sensor range triggering a warning.  Once you climb to 7-8 feet the sensor doesn't see the obstacle.  This is very common when you do a hand takeoff.  Also, once you clear the propellers installed correctly message, the manual motor start using the control toggles should work.

Agreed, see, we are learning already, have nice trip.
2022-6-26
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

not trying to be a smart alec, but please.. PLEASE read the manual.  Whenever someone I know gets a new drone,  I tell them to read the manual, then read it again.  Read it one more time. Now open the box and pull the drone out.  Read the manual again while looking at the drone.  And remember, there are a lot of people here on the forum and out around that are more than willing to help you.  

Besides.  I only live about 15 miles south of you.  I'm up in your area half a dozen times a month doing drone real estate shots.  
2022-6-28
Use props
TMac67
lvl.1
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 6-28 11:24
not trying to be a smart alec, but please.. PLEASE read the manual.  Whenever someone I know gets a new drone,  I tell them to read the manual, then read it again.  Read it one more time. Now open the box and pull the drone out.  Read the manual again while looking at the drone.  And remember, there are a lot of people here on the forum and out around that are more than willing to help you.  

Besides.  I only live about 15 miles south of you.  I'm up in your area half a dozen times a month doing drone real estate shots.

Ok.....not trying to be a bitch, but ---- I DID read the manual. That's something my dad taught me, is to always read the manual first. Why would you assume that I didn't??   I read the manual, watched several DJI tutorials, you name it, I did it.  Obviously something was not working as it should, or I wouldn't be here in the first place.  I exhausted every option I could think of, before coming to this forum for help. Thankfully other members here chimed in with helpful feedback, and without making assumptions about what I'd done before reaching out for help.
2022-6-28
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

TMac67 Posted at 6-28 12:04
Ok.....not trying to be a bitch, but ---- I DID read the manual. That's something my dad taught me, is to always read the manual first. Why would you assume that I didn't??   I read the manual, watched several DJI tutorials, you name it, I did it.  Obviously something was not working as it should, or I wouldn't be here in the first place.  I exhausted every option I could think of, before coming to this forum for help. Thankfully other members here chimed in with helpful feedback, and without making assumptions about what I'd done before reaching out for help.

I've flown a Mavic Pro for years and quite present in the forum for the pro. We had a guy a few years ago with a pro who took it on vacation to Iceland. On his entire trip up there, his pro refused to launch. The forum thread read pretty much like this one full of advice and information for several pages. I asked him about the control stick manuver to start the motors. He'd forgotten all about the csm. Went outside and the drone was perfect. And launched as it should.
I've been on this forum for years and about 75% of the problems are solved if people would read first. 2 friends had an old DJI drone. Tried for 3 days to start the motors. Claimed it was totally dead. I came over and it was flying in 3 seconds.
I apologize if I offended you in any way. I try to help when asked. No offense intended.
2022-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules