Dji mini 2 wire scraping
1300 8 2022-7-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
roteko
lvl.1

Netherlands

Hi all,

As a techsavy nerd i am always keen to see how things look from the inside. Yet when I looked into the battery compartment of my mini 2, i saw this:

wire protection shaved off

wire protection shaved off

As you may be able to work out from this somewhat terrible picture, the red wire cover is coming off, likely from friction when the battery is moved in and out of the drone.

What should I do? Is the drone still safe to fly? It does not look like it is safe to fly...

2022-7-4
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi mate, that cable looks like it's been getting hot to me, probably by a bad/loose connection, I've seen plenty of overheated cables in my working life, I'd get checked out if I were you.
2022-7-4
Use props
roteko
lvl.1

Netherlands

UKMoose Posted at 7-4 11:38
Hi mate, that cable looks like it's been getting hot to me, probably by a bad/loose connection, I've seen plenty of overheated cables in my working life, I'd get checked out if I were you.

that is another theory indeed, I did not think of that yet. If it is getting hot, I would expect electrical faults as well tough, or am I overlooking something?
2022-7-4
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

roteko Posted at 7-4 11:42
that is another theory indeed, I did not think of that yet. If it is getting hot, I would expect electrical faults as well tough, or am I overlooking something?

Hi again, if you look at your picture, there is a round indentation which looks like somthing on your battery is pressing on the hot cable or possibly causing the the cable to heat up, either way have it checked, you don't want to loose your drone.
2022-7-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's a very good photo, what's the camera?
See the attached photos below to compare the photo quality, those were the best I could get with my phone lol.

The red wire is one of the wires leading from the ESC board above the battery compartment to one of the left hand motors, probably the front one.
Is it critical. YES. the motor will likely stop or not run or misbehave if it breaks or disconnects.
It SHOULD NOT protrude into the battery compartment.
Look along the line of the inside face of the battery compartment wall in that area and check whether any wiring does protrude into the battery compartment.
To be honest that looks more like melting from a soldering job to me were the wiring may have accidentally touched the barrel of the iron, if so I would hope the conductor is firmly attached and it is nerely the insulation that has come lose through melting.
Is this a new or second hand drone?

Attached are
1) photos of the insides of three Mini 2's, I completely rebuilt one of them, I can't remember which.
2) relevant photos of a partially dismantled Mavic mini which, for the purposes of this post, is identical to the mini 2

So you have the inside view of 4 Minis to compare yours to.

The black stuff on the rearmost motor-wires is some sort of paint/glue/sealant that DJI use.

2022-7-4
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If the mini 2 has not been repaired previously, I think DJI have a big quality problem, it's definitely looks like a load related heating problem(overload) by pressure or a bad soldered joint.
2022-7-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That insulation on the wire is scorched and melted.  The wire inside may be exposed and could possibly cause a short.  Definitely a problem that needs checking out before you fly it again.
2022-7-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unless two bare wires around there are extremely close together, they are, relatively speaking, fairly stiff and, if they are safe when tucked out of the way, I doubt that there would be much chance of them vibrating into shorting contact, unless there are loose broken strands 'floating' about.
However it might be an idea to try to build up, in stages, layers of epoxy glue or putty around them to 'glue' them apart and also add a little insulation. There is no finger room in there to do much else, unless perhaps you had a sensible young kid about and their tiny fingers.

I think anything else would require removing the top shell.

Personally I'd probably whip the top shell off and sort it but not everyone is that daft.

2022-7-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there roteko. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information and this photo with us. Since we are hvaing this issue with your DJI Mini 2, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We will do there best to help and give out the best resolution for this issue. Thank you.
2022-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules