New design gimbal cover
5511 33 2022-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249249 ft
United States

I had to exchange my original Mini 3 Pro (manufacture date of May 2022) for a new one because of Lens Fogging.  The new drone has a June 2022 manufature date and I noticed they changed the gimbal cover design.  The original style gimbal cover was a PITA to properly put on.  The new design is slightly tweaked and is a SNAP to put on--literally.  The new style is missing some of the chanels inside which makes it easier to put on.  It's MUCH better.  At first I thought I had just gotten good at putting it on.  When I inspected further, I noticed that the new cover is entirely different on the inside.  I suspect that people were inadvertently damaging their camera and gimbal when putting the old style cover on so DJI decided to change the design to prevent that.  
2022-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us here at DJI Forum. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.
2022-7-9
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Wonder if you can post a picture of the new gimbal cover?  Thx.
2022-7-9
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nosnoop Posted at 7-9 21:31
Wonder if you can post a picture of the new gimbal cover?  Thx.

Yup this post means nothing without a picture
2022-7-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please post a picture.   
2022-7-9
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As suggested on YouTube I still put the piece of packing foam in place just like it was shipped.

It makes fitting the cover so much more easy.
2022-7-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear DJI re-designed the gimbal cover.  The original one is a bit finicky to put on.  Would be nice to see a shot of the newly designed cover.
2022-7-10
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
United States

This is a picture I took of the inside of the new cover.  
2022-7-10
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-10 14:36
This is a picture I took of the inside of the new cover.  [view_image]

Thanks for Picture. That is the same cover I have. Received my drone June 7th  No problem taking cover off and on.
2022-7-10
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

Goggles Pisano Posted at 7-10 17:59
Thanks for Picture. That is the same cover I have. Received my drone June 7th  No problem taking cover off and on.

Received mine on June 21st, and got the old style.
2022-7-11
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Mine is from 17th June and is the old style too. No complaints about how it works for me.

2022-7-11
Use props
sbonev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3665279 ft
United Kingdom

i also have the "old" style, though i received mine 21st of may, so i guess it was one of the first. I wonder how big issue there was to make them change it, and why they don't offer the new one as free replacement...
2022-7-11
Use props
nOxxxx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

I have the impression that the old cover protects the gimbal better and is therefore better. Comparing the two designs, I can see more structural stiffeners inside the old cover. It is best to mount the cover in a vertical position with the gimbal facing up.
2022-7-11
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wonder if we can do a request for the newer one. I have the old one too and it can be a pain to put back on.
2022-7-11
Use props
JMCANZO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 305581 ft
United States

Received mine the last week of June. I have the new cover
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
United States

Another potential problem with the older style cover was that if you turn on the drone to put it into quick transfer, the gimbal would try to move inside the old cover and not be able to.  Sometime it would make a grinding/popping sound.  That doesn't happen with the new cover.  That could be the real reason they changed the design.
2022-7-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sbonev Posted at 7-11 03:16
i also have the "old" style, though i received mine 21st of may, so i guess it was one of the first. I wonder how big issue there was to make them change it, and why they don't offer the new one as free replacement...

Free replacement that will be the day. Imagine the logistics of that..... We also have screwdriver gate to deal with now
2022-7-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-11 08:18
Another potential problem with the older style cover was that if you turn on the drone to put it into quick transfer, the gimbal would try to move inside the old cover and not be able to.  Sometime it would make a grinding/popping sound.  That doesn't happen with the new cover.  That could be the real reason they changed the design.

What............... You must always take any cover off before you turn the drone on. Sort of Obvious I thought
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
United States

I haven't, I don't even unfold the arms when I put it in quick transfer and don't intend to fly.  With the new cover, you don't have to take it off.  The gimbal cam rotate inside just fine.
2022-7-11
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-11 08:25
I haven't, I don't even unfold the arms when I put it in quick transfer and don't intend to fly.  With the new cover, you don't have to take it off.  The gimbal cam rotate inside just fine.

I am sure when your gimbal is ruined you will find out
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-11 08:29
I am sure when your gimbal is ruined you will find out

With the NEW drone I got (June 22 production) the gimbal moves just fine inside the cover.  It moves freely.  It was the old drone I exchanged and the old cover that was the problem.  The gimbal could not move inside the cover.  It moves just fine in the new one.
2022-7-11
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-11 08:25

So theres full movement with no interference on the gimbal startup routine?
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
United States

That is correct, no interference with startup routine.  The old style gimbal would not let the startup routine occur.  Now that I've thought about it, I suspect that was the primary reason for the change--because the mechanism was becoming damaged from people leaving the cover on during startup routine.  
2022-7-11
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-11 19:02
That is correct, no interference with startup routine.  The old style gimbal would not let the startup routine occur.  Now that I've thought about it, I suspect that was the primary reason for the change--because the mechanism was becoming damaged from people leaving the cover on during startup routine.

I believe the ‘new cover’ as you describe and pictured has been replaced by what you state as the old cover to keep the gimble secure during transportation.  I wouldn’t want the gimbal moving around during transportation and I would never turn on the drone with the  gimbal cover on.  
2022-7-11
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-11 19:02
That is correct, no interference with startup routine.  The old style gimbal would not let the startup routine occur.  Now that I've thought about it, I suspect that was the primary reason for the change--because the mechanism was becoming damaged from people leaving the cover on during startup routine.

Duplicate post sorry .........
2022-7-11
Use props
djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN
lvl.3
United States

No, my old drone with a May 2022 production date had the old cover.  The June 2022 production date has the new cover.  Can anyone with an April 2022 production date see what kind of cover they have?  
2022-7-11
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

Duplicate post sorry .........
2022-7-11
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

Either way the drone is fantastic
2022-7-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-10 14:36
This is a picture I took of the inside of the new cover.  [view_image]

But how does that stop the camera moving around in transport.   Maybe it’s a defect that slipped through.  
2022-7-12
Use props
fansa3ca2932
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1614416 ft
Russia

djiuser_UiOpbSlvbHqN Posted at 7-11 19:31
No, my old drone with a May 2022 production date had the old cover.  The June 2022 production date has the new cover.  Can anyone with an April 2022 production date see what kind of cover they have?

April 2022 = old one.
2022-7-12
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

MHM Posted at 7-11 19:30
I believe the ‘new cover’ as you describe and pictured has been replaced by what you state as the old cover to keep the gimble secure during transportation.  I wouldn’t want the gimbal moving around during transportation and I would never turn on the drone with the  gimbal cover on.

Do you unfold the arms as well when you plug it into a computer?
2022-7-12
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 7-12 02:23
But how does that stop the camera moving around in transport.   Maybe it’s a defect that slipped through.

It doesn't with the new design.   It certainly would stop all the complaints about being difficult to put on.

To stop the camera/gimbal from moving around for the new design, you have to use the foam + the cover.
For the original cover, you don't need to use the foam.
2022-7-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nosnoop Posted at 7-12 21:25
It doesn't with the new design.   It certainly would stop all the complaints about being difficult to put on.

To stop the camera/gimbal from moving around for the new design, you have to use the foam + the cover.

I have the first cover and now I have flown the drone a few times I have got the hang of putting it on. It takes a while but you will get there
2022-7-12
Use props
fansa3ca2932
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1614416 ft
Russia

After all, dremeled the old cover. everything is ok now. Thanks to all who posted info and pics!

To make gimbal move at startup routine absolutely freely also small side guides need to be grinded a little, they are not as big as an old-style ones, didn't notice before.

2023-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules