639 21 2022-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MalcT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398307 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

New M3 user here. i have noticed on all my flying sessions to date (half a dozen) in N mode, the flight when moving forwards is intermittently "jumpy".  The AC behaves as though I have pulled back on the stick, but this is not the case.  I can be flying in a straight line, stick pushed forwards and fixed, but the AC bucks 3 or 4 times as though it is trying to stop.  Very strange and disconcerting.  At first I thought it was my poor stick handling but definitely not the case now.  Looks like a equipment problem to me.

I was flying in a very open space, no obstacles, and very calm conditions.  OA set to Brake.

Anyone else had this problem?  Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.
2022-7-18
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'm seeing this on my M3 too, with the latest FW updates. It'll even do it when close to the ground with OA turned off, and/or in Sport mode, though it's not nearly as bad. But if I get too close to the ground it'll stop itself even in Sport mode.
I guess it's good that it won't let me fly it into the ground, though, so maybe that's just normal...
Seems like the obstacle avoidance is way way over sensitive....
2022-7-18
Use props
Dr Tone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166450 ft
Canada

It’s been reported various times on this forum.  A common issue.

It only happens in cinema or normal mode for me and not every time.  Putting it into sports mode solved the stop and go fluctuations.
2022-7-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to perform the IMU calibration to see if the issue persists? In addition, if you could provide us sample footage showing the issue that would be a great help for us to further identify the problem. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-7-18
Use props
Dr Tone
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 7-18 17:50
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please try to perform the IMU calibration to see if the issue persists? In addition, if you could provide us sample footage showing the issue that would be a great help for us to further identify the problem. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

IMU calibration doesn’t solve it.
2022-7-18
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dr Tone Posted at 7-18 20:38
IMU calibration doesn’t solve it.

Neither does providing sample footage showing the issue, nor uploading logs...
2022-7-18
Use props
Dr Tone
lvl.4
Canada

It’s obviously getting false positives with obstructions and braking and then resuming speed. Over and over.
2022-7-20
Use props
MalcT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

An Update for those interested.

I flew the M3 this evening, the first time since my issues described above.

I have now read all the earlier threads about this problem.  It is clear there is an issue, and it is not limited to my M3.  Some have suggested it relates to the OA functionality,  so I decided to test this with my M3.

Anyway, in short, I flew for over 1 hour.  A gentle breeze, warm evening, in a completely open area free of all obstacles (same place as before).  Result - I had ZERO/ NO/ ZILCH bucking/ jumpyness at all. In ALL OA modes (Bypass Normal and Nifty/ Brake and None), it flew like a DREAM, smoothly, quick, turned perfectly, etc. etc.  It felt like another aircraft.  I also used 3 different batteries during the flights to test if that had any effect, but no.  The same experience EVERY flight.  Exactly what I was expecting after spending my hard earned on this device!

Ok, I am not saying this issue doesn't exist - I have seen it from other's posts, and my previous experience matches exactly with other users have had.  I reserve my judgement until I have had more flights and I get some consistency.  But it does beg the question why the M3 behaves like this for some owners, and why the inconsistency of the apparent problem?

Interesting but intriguing?  Thanks for indulging me.  Hope this helps.
2022-7-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MalcT Posted at 7-20 14:10
An Update for those interested.

I flew the M3 this evening, the first time since my issues described above.

In ALL OA modes (Bypass Normal and Nifty/ Brake and None), it flew like a DREAM, smoothly, quick, turned perfectly, etc. etc.  It felt like another aircraft.
Have I missed some important details of your story? What exactly did you do to have it 'felt like another aircraft'?
2022-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Monkey007 Posted at 7-18 22:22
Neither does providing sample footage showing the issue, nor uploading logs...

While none of those solve anything, in order to get to the bottom of it, showing video and flight logs that will show the pitch of the craft which is prominent with this problem can only help to try resolve this.
2022-7-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 7-20 15:42
While none of those solve anything, in order to get to the bottom of it, showing video and flight logs that will show the pitch of the craft which is prominent with this problem can only help to try resolve this.

This, now well known jumpyness, doesn't bother me too much, as long as it does not appear on my videos.
2022-7-20
Use props
MalcT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks for your responses.
I have the flight logs in .txt format.  How do I get these to you please?
They are both near 5MB each, but the attachment drop down says it does not accept .txt files, and only files under 1MB.
Sorry, new here hence the lack of knowledge.
2022-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

OA is too sensitive, see many logs with OA braking ; just false readings.
Too much light direct into the sensors causes false reading.
My own MA2 suffers from this, i fly at height always with OA off....

IMU calibration does not help.

see the chart of a M3, typical OA braking. Craft in APAS ; full fwd all the time, craft climbs after each braking. Lower red 'diamonds' in chart - braking.

cheers
JJB
OAbraking.png
2022-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MalcT Posted at 7-21 00:20
I have the flight logs in .txt format.  How do I get these to you please?
They are both near 5MB each, but the attachment drop down says it does not accept .txt files, and only files under 1MB.

use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2022-7-21
Use props
MalcT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The "jumpy" flight log is here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6LQOLVU0JDF4KKER5A2J

The smooth flight log is here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0Y0SY5XSWNJWWUIJIK6A

Hope this helps
2022-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MalcT Posted at 7-21 02:41

The "jumpy" flight log is here: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/6LQOLVU0JDF4KKER5A2J

Hi,

See my charts of your data, data shows many many drone pitches up.2 reasons possible...
1) OA false reading > braking action by pitching up
2) Flying forward speed AND applying yaw input ; this will slow down craft by also pitching up.

see the chart, bottem diamonds = yellow : pitching up yaw input, red = pitching up false OA obstacle reading.

cheers
JJB

analysis4.png
2022-7-21
Use props
MalcT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you.

The only issue now is why I did not observe this behaviour (at all) in the smooth flight a few days later, in ALL OA modes.
2022-7-21
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Even in brake mode, during dusk/dawn/bluehour/water reflections/etc OA sensors can affect the flight performance with false positives even when set to brake mode. When shooting in those light conditions, it's better to turn the OA off till you are going back to land.

For example during bluehour there's a 15-20 min range of time when the M3 can't decide whether to keep the OA on or turn them off, that's where you must manually turn them off to have a smooth flight (or switch to sport).
2022-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MalcT Posted at 7-21 03:06
Thank you.

The only issue now is why I did not observe this behaviour (at all) in the smooth flight a few days later, in ALL OA modes.

hi,

did another check on your flight.  made a correction to my text previous post

Chart of your 'smooth' flight.

OA false readings are not always there....direct sunlight into the sensor doesn`t help....
Flying with full stick foward, than yaw input will reduce flying speed (pitching up), drone start to yaw and bank at the same time into the turn.

cheers
JJB
analysis5.png
analysis7.png
2022-7-21
Use props
Dr Tone
lvl.4
Canada

I’ve had a few flights where the M3 flies great in normal mode.

Sunlight conditions and the sensors seems like a very plausible reason for the intermittent results.
2022-7-21
Use props
MalcT
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Flying with full stick foward, than yaw input will reduce flying speed (pitching up), drone start to yaw and bank at the same time into the turn.

Thanks - yes, I thought there would be some pilot error in there - I guess I am too heavy on the sticks, I need more practice
2022-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MalcT Posted at 7-21 04:48

Thanks - yes, I thought there would be some pilot error in there - I guess I am too heavy on the sticks, I need more practice

Hi,

Not a pilot 'error' !  DJI changes this way of turning year ago or so.

Before : possible to fly full speed and with yaw change fly direction.
Now : full speed flying and yaw = reduce speed and craft will yaw and bank as well.
Why?  mayby to get less stress on the structure or so...

cheers
JJB
2022-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules