2350 43 2022-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just seen this thread, now, whilst i do have radar issues relating to the RC indicator incremental direction movements issue as I've already posted about, i do not see the issues that matey has in his video, I am on the latest FW's and App, i was also afforded a compass calibration at the time of that update, this i did and i have done 6 flights, i think, so far and other that the incremental issue, I do not see his issues.

With that in mind, perhaps refreshing the FW and then calibrating the RC compass away from any magnetic interference.

If you cannot calibrate the compass because it says its normal, run a magnet close to the back bottom edge and you will see it say error, you can lose the magnate and try to calibrate it again, but do it quickly, one of each, roll left/right, pitch back and forth, in quick succession. if you feel you didn't get enough time, do the magnet again.
2022-7-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tried a few time now and I cant get the calibrate to make any difference,   but my issue is more like NG's -
2022-7-19
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

It is not the first time DJI is messing up with this.
It looks like they are inventing the wheel over and over again with each FlyApp update.
2022-7-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. We will forward this issue to our designated team for attention. We will keep you posted once we have an update. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2022-7-19
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you, look forward to a favourable outcome
2022-7-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-19 03:01
Tried a few time now and I cant get the calibrate to make any difference,   but my issue is more like NG's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJx8FcjVMk0

+1.  I'm having the same issue DA.  When my 2nd Mini 3 arrives today I will not be updating to 1.6.9 for sure.
2022-7-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-19 03:58
+1.  I'm having the same issue DA.  When my 2nd Mini 3 arrives today I will not be updating to 1.6.9 for sure.

Are you also having any issues with the drone banking slightly right when it should fly straight?
2022-7-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am just sorting out my screen recording now, hopefully, it will be done by the time i post this, I have just been out to test mine, i saw no wandering, i took it out a few hundred meters and it came back in place, i don't think i touched the right stick at all.

As for the radar, no issues with regards to the indicators being off 180 degrees, certainly nothing like that.

What i did actually find was, when turning the RC anticlockwise, the precise second that the RC indicator turns green is when your bang on aligned with the drone.
Anything after that is just wildly incorrect, so in that respect, its off by about 30 or so degrees, if we look at it the other way e.g. lets say youre pointing 70 degrees away from the drone but anticlockwise, once you start turning clockwise, the RC indicator changes green at about 30-40 degrees before pointing at the drone, so its probably about 15-20 degrees too far anticlockwise

I tested the pointing upwards too, i managed to replicate it only once, you will see the signal turn white, that was pointing roughly at 45 degrees, i then moved a little further forward and i still had signal but could not replicate the pointing upwards, pointing outwards was more favourable. So perhaps there are some truths to this as to what the circumstances re i don't know. I would like to try this at max range though and see what happens.

2022-7-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-20 00:10
Are you also having any issues with the drone banking slightly right when it should fly straight?

Just replied to this but forgot to quote so you wouldnt ordinarily get a notification, hence this reply lol, see above
2022-7-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-20 01:38
Just replied to this but forgot to quote so you wouldnt ordinarily get a notification, hence this reply lol, see above

The straight up technique did nothing for me around wifi interference but in open fields it make a big difference.
2022-7-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-20 01:44
The straight up technique did nothing for me around wifi interference but in open fields it make a big difference.

I will give it a go when I go out next, thanks...
2022-7-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-20 02:35
I will give it a go when I go out next, thanks...

It takes a few seconds when you move the controller to see any difference,  certainly not instant.  
2022-7-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-20 02:42
It takes a few seconds when you move the controller to see any difference,  certainly not instant.

Oki, thanks, will bare that in mind..
2022-7-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-20 00:10

Not seeing that issue.  Of course, it could be and I just haven't noticed.  Got a medical appointment this morning but when I get back will take the replacement drone and other drone out.  I'll keep an eye out for the slightly banking right.

2022-7-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-20 02:43
Oki, thanks, will bare that in mind..

I flew out earlier today until I was on 2 bars and then held the remote up wards and it jumped to three,   Im not sure if its just making the remote higher that has the effect or the antenna are more directional,  I need to find the remote tear down again and see how they were built.
2022-7-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-21 00:08
I flew out earlier today until I was on 2 bars and then held the remote up wards and it jumped to three,   Im not sure if its just making the remote higher that has the effect or the antenna are more directional,  I need to find the remote tear down again and see how they were built.

It is weird, even the manual says to point it at the drone. although i think it shows there's a little leeway, there's not mind lol not that if found. I am waiting for a calm early morning to try my run again.

In the teardown there's a flat section on the end of the antenna that's in the tip section of the RC, i would have thought that the flat section would need to be pointed at the drone
2022-7-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-21 00:57
It is weird, even the manual says to point it at the drone. although i think it shows there's a little leeway, there's not mind lol not that if found. I am waiting for a calm early morning to try my run again.

In the teardown there's a flat section on the end of the antenna that's in the tip section of the RC, i would have thought that the flat section would need to be pointed at the drone

I can see why holding it up might make a small difference.

2022-7-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-21 01:17

To be fair, I aint got much of a clue on how antennas should work, unless they are the standard dipole,
so looking at these, how should they work?
If it is pointing to the sky, why are dji saying otherwise?
2022-7-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-21 01:17

Forgot to mention in the PM, during the journey i tested this,  pointing from flat to 90 degree up in slow increments, slow, wait, slow, wait and it only went up one bar once on the way out but dropped again a second or 2 later, i couldn't replicate again. What i could replicate a few times was pointing at 45 and then down flat, and it dropped from white to orange, i think this was at about, let me double check, no good on the video really, sped up too much to notice, oh, found it, watch from 2:11 once i got the 4 white bars on the return, i then pointed at 45 degrees, you will see the signal drop, i laid horizontal and it jumped back to 4, did it again and it drops again, as soon as its horizontal again, signal back to 4 white bars, if it was to help for me, it would have done on the way back as I'm getting closer to the HP.

Perhaps there's something slightly different with yours, as its one of the 1st on sale isn't it? its all i can think of, i wish it would have worked cause it would have meant an even better signal lol but to say I'm quite proud of it anyway is prob an understatement
2022-7-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-21 23:36
Forgot to mention in the PM, during the journey i tested this,  pointing from flat to 90 degree up in slow increments, slow, wait, slow, wait and it only went up one bar once on the way out but dropped again a second or 2 later, i couldn't replicate again. What i could replicate a few times was pointing at 45 and then down flat, and it dropped from white to orange, i think this was at about, let me double check, no good on the video really, sped up too much to notice, oh, found it, watch from 2:11 once i got the 4 white bars on the return, i then pointed at 45 degrees, you will see the signal drop, i laid horizontal and it jumped back to 4, did it again and it drops again, as soon as its horizontal again, signal back to 4 white bars, if it was to help for me, it would have done on the way back as I'm getting closer to the HP.

Perhaps there's something slightly different with yours, as its one of the 1st on sale isn't it? its all i can think of, i wish it would have worked cause it would have meant an even better signal lol but to say I'm quite proud of it anyway is prob an understatement

One thing I notice is that Im flying a bit higher than you are when Ive tested it.   I will have to make a little demonstation video next time Im out so you can see if Im doing something different.  
2022-7-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-21 23:50
One thing I notice is that Im flying a bit higher than you are when Ive tested it.   I will have to make a little demonstation video next time Im out so you can see if Im doing something different.

Granted, that would play a part, but lets say for the sake of it, you're 3km out ( hypothetical), at that distance at say 16m compared to 120m is not going to make a lot of difference to that angle, the angle will get bigger the closer you get though, so say you're 1km (hypothetical) at 120m then certainly some angle to the controller will be more beneficial as opposed to it being horizontal.

To be honest, i am far from any good at angles or maths, in fact i am really rubbish at them, what i do know is that the horizon from the ground is 5km away (google lol), throw a drone that far at 120m in height and it will appear to be pretty much on the ground. from the pilots perspective that is.

I remember asking a friend a while back for this very purpose (not you specifically lol i think it was FB related),
A drone at only 1500m and at 100m height, the angle of LOS  is only 4 degrees.

You can see why I've "banged on" about the angle of the dangle lol when folks complain about range, it's how I've always flown mine since the P4P, whilst you can angle the antennas on the P4P, you can't with a parabolic installed, you have to angle the RC itself.

For me to get my max range, the RC always ends up being horizontal at the turning point, (YMMV) and as you can see it faired me well today

2022-7-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-22 00:52
Granted, that would play a part, but lets say for the sake of it, you're 3km out ( hypothetical), at that distance at say 16m compared to 120m is not going to make a lot of difference to that angle, the angle will get bigger the closer you get though, so say you're 1km (hypothetical) at 120m then certainly some angle to the controller will be more beneficial as opposed to it being horizontal.

To be honest, i am far from any good at angles or maths, in fact i am really rubbish at them, what i do know is that the horizon from the ground is 5km away (google lol), throw a drone that far at 120m in height and it will appear to be pretty much on the ground. from the pilots perspective that is.

I'll have to check,    but I dont think Id get that sort of range if I was that low.
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-22 03:46
I'll have to check,    but I dont think Id get that sort of range if I was that low.

No, that was hypothetical, but I didn't manage aaround the 3 today 16m high, they took it to 32m for the other leg, and this Mini 3 is very capable, I can't wait to test FCC, I have found a source but I would rather stick with whom I know and trust,so I can wait, not like there's any rush, I nearly beat  Mini 2 in FCC  but that was held back by the battery only....
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Glad it is all now fixed for you
2022-7-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-22 04:13
No, that was hypothetical, but I didn't manage aaround the 3 today 16m high, they took it to 32m for the other leg, and this Mini 3 is very capable, I can't wait to test FCC, I have found a source but I would rather stick with whom I know and trust,so I can wait, not like there's any rush, I nearly beat  Mini 2 in FCC  but that was held back by the battery only....

Feel free to pm me when you find a way to do fcc. I would also be interested.  
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-22 05:58
Feel free to pm me when you find a way to do fcc. I would also be interested.

Of course chap, you'll be the 1st to know, the way that i know of now, you would be interested, i am only 20% thinking about it as it seems a bit sketchy, but yeah, i will let you know,
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How do you know all this I thought you only had the Fly mode kit
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-22 12:19
How do you know all this I thought you only had the Fly mode kit

Stop trolling my posts and stop creating stupid polls about me too, we know you created that poll because I have said it's still not right yet you keep calling me a liar, so you thought you would try to prove i am lying... ...that failed didn't it? ;)

Then you come out with a stupid quip in a reply like this one, or you criticise or contradict what say

if I say something on here, it is correct to the best of my knowledge, there has been the odd time where i have stood corrected but for the most part, it's pretty much bang on, so once again, back off and stop trolling my posts.
2022-7-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Hey Bashy, I just wrote this reply on the "poll" thread. Just making sure you see it.
Good day, Bashy. I know some will disagree with me, I don't care. My controller arrow was about 5-7 degrees off also. NOT what I expected or paid for!! I tried this with my Air 2S. I carefully calibrated the IMU, then went outside and calibrated the drone compass. Since then, the arrow points where the drone is!!! No more than 1 or 2 degrees off, if that much. I haven't tried the controller in center, tomorrow I will. It was all over the place before, hopefully no longer.
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-22 19:33
Hey Bashy, I just wrote this reply on the "poll" thread. Just making sure you see it.
Good day, Bashy. I know some will disagree with me, I don't care. My controller arrow was about 5-7 degrees off also. NOT what I expected or paid for!! I tried this with my Air 2S. I carefully calibrated the IMU, then went outside and calibrated the drone compass. Since then, the arrow points where the drone is!!! No more than 1 or 2 degrees off, if that much. I haven't tried the controller in center, tomorrow I will. It was all over the place before, hopefully no longer.

Thanks MH, Ive never calibrated the IMU on this one, mostly because its not asked me to. Are you saying that doing the IMU has helped the Mini 3 Pro too?
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just to inform those who may be unaware. It is quite possible to fly your drone without using the little green arrow. Using the map function and the ‘drawn’ line and of course your own eyes is far better.

Just a little heads up from a drone and RC pilot of many years
2022-7-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 7-22 20:15
Thanks MH, Ive never calibrated the IMU on this one, mostly because its not asked me to. Are you saying that doing the IMU has helped the Mini 3 Pro too?

I do not know if it helps the Mini 3. I just thought my 2S experience might be helpful.
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-22 20:26
I do not know if it helps the Mini 3. I just thought my 2S experience might be helpful.

Heck, i will give it a try, might have to wait till Monday now mind, will see how it goes, thanks
2022-7-22
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-22 20:46
Heck, i will give it a try, might have to wait till Monday now mind, will see how it goes, thanks

Every day is a School day isn’t it
2022-7-22
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 7-22 20:24
Just to inform those who may be unaware. It is quite possible to fly your drone without using the little green arrow. Using the map function and the ‘drawn’ line and of course your own eyes is far better.

Just a little heads up from a drone and RC pilot of many years

Its gotten to the point now whereby you're just embarrassing yourself.

Lets see how well you would have done your 1200m "test" and back again without the use of the map or radar, now that would be fun to watch.

So instead of a heads up, hang it in shame!
2022-7-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-22 07:04
Of course chap, you'll be the 1st to know, the way that i know of now, you would be interested, i am only 20% thinking about it as it seems a bit sketchy, but yeah, i will let you know,

Here's a 5 second example of held up vs horizontal. -  
2022-7-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-23 00:39
Here's a 5 second example of held up vs horizontal. -  https://youtu.be/ctr40rbr6M8

That is really weird, it goes against the grain so to speak, you are 1500m out, so it should have improved the signal as you would be pointing the antenna nearly directly at it when it's horizontal, have the RC pointing at 45 degrees or so is like trying to control the ISS lol. Perhaps it's like I said, as yours is one of the earlier sales, perhaps there is something different with it.

Having said that, I didn't test mine stationary, that's the only thing else done differently, next time I will test it stationary at the same distance and height as yours and see what happens, oh unless there is soenthing in the way or close to being in the way of the drone to RC, then pointing up would be more beneficial cause of the way radio travels, in waves, say  small hill for example or some trees, even if they are not breaking los,  pointing horizontally, the waves would scramble around the "body"  dispersing them, pointing at sky bound would in fact send them out and over.
2022-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-23 01:05
That is really weird, it goes against the grain so to speak, you are 1500m out, so it should have improved the signal as you would be pointing the antenna nearly directly at it when it's horizontal, have the RC pointing at 45 degrees or so is like trying to control the ISS lol. Perhaps it's like I said, as yours is one of the earlier sales, perhaps there is something different with it.

Having said that, I didn't test mine stationary, that's the only thing else done differently, next time I will test it stationary at the same distance and height as yours and see what happens, oh unless there is soenthing in the way or close to being in the way of the drone to RC, then pointing up would be more beneficial cause of the way radio travels, in waves, say  small hill for example or some trees, even if they are not breaking los,  pointing horizontally, the waves would scramble around the "body"  dispersing them, pointing at sky bound would in fact send them out and over.

It does go against the grain,   it was only because someone here posted about it I thought Id give it a go.  I wonder if there is a hardware revision on the controller somewhere we could compare.
2022-7-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I ran out of words allowed on the phone version lol but I hope you get what I'm try to say. I have no hills and I sent the drone to the side of those trees, so in effect I have nothing in the wave horizontally,
2022-7-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 7-23 01:07
It does go against the grain,   it was only because someone here posted about it I thought Id give it a go.  I wonder if there is a hardware revision on the controller somewhere we could compare.

Should be but maybe inside it or it may show on dji assistant?
2022-7-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules