Home button newbie question
1833 9 2022-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fizzyfizz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67520 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I'm just wondering if the Mini 3 Pro is supposed to return and land in exactly the same place it launched from when pressing the home button? Or does it return to roughly a few square feet/metres from where it started? The reason for asking is because when I tried it earlier it landed in my neighbour's garden instead of mine!

THANKS
2022-7-20
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

The normal RTH (return to home) should bring it to within a few feet of the recorded home point. if the RTH is initiated when the drone is close to home already ( I don't remember the exact distance but  I am sure it is less than 20 feet) it will just land where it is and not try to get any closer to the recorded home point. Did you initiate RTH while it was close?
Did it prompt you at first take off that it had "recorded" the home point?

EDIT: I just looked in the manual just to verify and the distance to just land is 5 meters

2022-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The gps tolerance is approx 3 metres so make allowances for this before take off.
Always wait for the lady to say homepoint has been set,
2022-7-20
Use props
fizzyfizz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67520 ft
United Kingdom

Great, thanks for the replies
2022-7-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In addition, all the above assumes that the homepoint was set at your feet. If the drone took off before it had sufficient satellites to establish a home point then, and assuming a homepoint is later established, the home point will be wherever sufficient satellites were first acquired.
You need to google this and how to reset the home point to somewhere applicable if it happens.

Read up on the RTH distance thresholds, page 16 of the manual. There are two thresholds, one at 5m and the other at 50m, the behaviours either side of a threshold are significanlty different.

2022-7-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 7-20 04:30
The gps tolerance is approx 3 metres so make allowances for this before take off.
Always wait for the lady to say homepoint has been set,

Hi hallmark

True about the gps tolerance but if the tolerance during flight doesnt change, drone will not land in a neighbours garden ;-)
GPS accurancy: if you plot the takeoff coordinates on google maps than mayby you will see your neighbours garden, but drone will land at start point on the same coordinates.

Same reason why DJI drones hover so amazingly steady above the same spot, but doesn`t mean that the hover LatLon is the acual hover spot in maps.

cheers
JJB
2022-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 7-20 08:03
Hi hallmark

True about the gps tolerance but if the tolerance during flight doesnt change, drone will not land in a neighbours garden ;-)

I think its important to have a landing area sufficient to allow for tolerance 3M should be good and preferably on your own property ;+) if RTH is initiated involuntarily usually you can gain back control before landing, but if your RC runs out of battery you have no choice but to allow drone to land on its own , so never really a good idea to take off 1m from the water the edge of a cliff ;+).
2022-7-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

3m (10ft) is quite a distance really. Bring back precision landing is what i say, this drone should be capable i would have thought?
2022-7-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 7-20 08:25
I think its important to have a landing area sufficient to allow for tolerance 3M should be good and preferably on your own property ;+) if RTH is initiated involuntarily usually you can gain back control before landing, but if your RC runs out of battery you have no choice but to allow drone to land on its own , so never really a good idea to take off 1m from the water the edge of a cliff ;+).

well, all my drones had landed within 1 meter or better to the starting point.
But agree with you that best is to start at a position to accomodate 3m tolerance, mayby one day your drone will need this....

More important to know,imo, is that loosing contact with your drone while drone is within 5 meters (depending on type drone) of HP it will land in that position.....

Must be awkward to see, standing at a cliff edge, to see your drone decending and descending and.... 4 meters in front of you....!&@#%*&!%#

cheers
JJB
2022-7-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 7-20 08:39
3m (10ft) is quite a distance really. Bring back precision landing is what i say, this drone should be capable i would have thought?

GPS tolerance has less impact on landing, it will not land one day 3 meters left of HP and the next day 3 meters right of HP. But plotting GPS coordinates will show the tolerance....

Try yourself ;
First find a takeoff spot with good markings to find 100% back on a map.
Takeoff + land and check LatLon on the map.

cheers
JJB

2022-7-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules