Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
When will it be possible to softly stop the Mavic 3?
12Next >
2397 73 2022-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UgoFly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6843596 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Although there have been other previous posts on the subject, the problem of hard braking of the Mavic 3 still has not been solved.

With the Mavic 2 it is possible to adjust the brake so that you can stop sliding without having the final blow which unfortunately on the Mavic 3 is clearly evident later in the shots.
If the CINE text on the drone arm is true, this big defect should already have been solved 7 months after being put on sale.
2022-7-25
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It can't stop softly and flies terribly in windy conditions. The gains and brake settings are all wrong.
2022-7-25
Use props
fateofangel
Captain
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

no good
2022-7-25
Use props
CreativeSky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, DJI, PLEASE FIX THIS CRAP. WHY WHY WHY OH WHY is this even like this. Give us the control back to smooth this out and turn off auto land. You ask for more money and then you take stuff away. What kind of logic is this?

The Mavic 2 Pro is like butter compared to this little sporadic machine.
2022-7-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
Flight distance : 10238648 ft
  • >>>
United States

The ending of that was noticeable when the drone stopped.  Was it already alerting on obstacle avoidance due to the statue?  I can understand why that shot is not acceptable.  I never have really enjoyed the flight characteristics when compared to the M2.   

There has to be some way to smooth out the braking.
2022-7-25
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am saving my M3 for posterity. It's like having a 1959 Ford Edsel. Priceless!
2022-7-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Captain
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-25 20:16
I am saving my M3 for posterity. It's like having a 1959 Ford Edsel. Priceless!

Good one Gary.  
2022-7-26
Use props
Oulala
lvl.4
France

we need that damn FW update
2022-7-26
Use props
SamDover
lvl.1

United States

Oulala Posted at 7-26 07:13
we need that damn FW update

What update? It's been out since November. There is no "update" that will take care of this.
2022-7-26
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SamDover Posted at 7-26 11:20
What update? It's been out since November. There is no "update" that will take care of this.

Of course there is.

Not sure how new you are to this, but we used to be allowed to tune DJI drones. Now it's decided by DJI and the only way to get better tuning is when they release a FW with either a better optimised gain/brake setting or they give us back the control to set it ourselves.
2022-7-26
Use props
SamDover
lvl.1

United States

CloudVisual Posted at 7-26 11:49
Of course there is.

Not sure how new you are to this, but we used to be allowed to tune DJI drones. Now it's decided by DJI and the only way to get better tuning is when they release a FW with either a better optimised gain/brake setting or they give us back the control to set it ourselves.

Good luck with that. Nothing on the horizon in that arena.
2022-7-26
Use props
Oulala
lvl.4
France

SamDover Posted at 7-26 12:22
Good luck with that. Nothing on the horizon in that arena.

Well Phillip Bloom came with a petition about this problem to DJI and they responded positively
2022-7-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

In general, it has been proven that DJI does refine these things over time with firmware, so those commenting that it is not going to happen tend to be proven wrong.  Does it happen as timely as we would like?  Nope.  Do the release notes indicate what was fixed?  Nope.  But by the end of the run, it's usually pretty sporty.  I am still holding out some hope.
2022-7-26
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

TonyPHX Posted at 7-26 15:37
In general, it has been proven that DJI does refine these things over time with firmware, so those commenting that it is not going to happen tend to be proven wrong.  Does it happen as timely as we would like?  Nope.  Do the release notes indicate what was fixed?  Nope.  But by the end of the run, it's usually pretty sporty.  I am still holding out some hope.

But there are plenty of things that DJI doesn't change that are requested by users.
They've never done anything to change AEB intervals from 0.7EV, image file numbers have only gone to DJI_0999 since 2015, to name just a few.

2022-7-26
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-26 18:10
But there are plenty of things that DJI doesn't change that are requested by users.
They've never done anything to change AEB intervals from 0.7EV, image file numbers have only gone to DJI_0999 since 2015, to name just a few.

Well Labroides.... good point.  

True enough.
2022-7-26
Use props
UgoFly
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

TonyPHX Posted at 7-25 19:35
The ending of that was noticeable when the drone stopped.  Was it already alerting on obstacle avoidance due to the statue?  I can understand why that shot is not acceptable.  I never have really enjoyed the flight characteristics when compared to the M2.   

There has to be some way to smooth out the braking.

I don't remember if he had already detected the obstacle but I'm sure the "obstacle avoidance" function was deactivated.
2022-7-27
Use props
UgoFly
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

TonyPHX Posted at 7-26 15:37

The recent commercial policy of DJI is to release a new drone every year so if this problem is not solved after all these months they will probably solve it in the future Mavic 4 so we would be forced to change the drone again.
2022-7-27
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just in case anyone missed my video in other threads.

2022-7-27
Use props
UgoFly
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

CloudVisual Posted at 7-27 02:33

https://youtu.be/jiLz2zsiKis

This is exactly the problem! They built a drone that moves abruptly without being able to dampen the gimbal !!!
2022-7-27
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

UgoFly Posted at 7-27 01:20
The recent commercial policy of DJI is to release a new drone every year so if this problem is not solved after all these months they will probably solve it in the future Mavic 4 so we would be forced to change the drone again.

Well, if that is the case, sign me up for a Mavic 4.
2022-7-28
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

This video sums it up nicely.  Would be nice to get some DJI assistance with this twitchy bird!!
2022-7-28
Use props
Oulala
lvl.4
France

TonyPHX Posted at 7-28 16:32
This video sums it up nicely.  Would be nice to get some DJI assistance with this twitchy bird!!

well know i discovered that there's no upscale limit of the gimbal in the RC Pro
2022-7-28
Use props
Mzp
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I actually have a funny story I wanted to share. I hadn't flown my Air 2s for a while b/c I have been flying my Mavic 3. Recently I ran out of batteries on my Mavic 3 and since I carry my Air 2s with me as well, I got it up in the air and I immediately noticed "something is wrong". B/c I got so used to Mavic 3, I thought that my Air 2s got broken b/c it was flying like you showed in the video. I completely forgot that a drone could fly this way and could brake so smoothly and nicely. B/c of Mavic 3 stopping so abruptly I got used to creating a gradual stop by slowly releasing sticks, slowly releasing gimbal wheel prolonging its spin...
     Thank you for this video, it actually put my mind to ease in a sense that my Air 2s is not broken, but it would be really great to have a simple option for brake sensitivity for Mavic 3. I have a gut feeling it is something really simple do, i.e. to piggy back from existing code base of DJI Go 4 or even write the code from scratch. Hoping this would come in a future firmware, at least if this could be done for the Cine mode as that is what this mode is for imho...

Thanks, Mike.

2022-7-28
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mzp Posted at 7-28 17:20
I actually have a funny story I wanted to share. I hadn't flown my Air 2s for a while b/c I have been flying my Mavic 3. Recently I ran out of batteries on my Mavic 3 and since I carry my Air 2s with me as well, I got it up in the air and I immediately noticed "something is wrong". B/c I got so used to Mavic 3, I thought that my Air 2s got broken b/c it was flying like you showed in the video. I completely forgot that a drone could fly this way and could brake so smoothly and nicely. B/c of Mavic 3 stopping so abruptly I got used to creating a gradual stop by slowly releasing sticks, slowly releasing gimbal wheel prolonging its spin...
     Thank you for this video, it actually put my mind to ease in a sense that my Air 2s is not broken, but it would be really great to have a simple option for brake sensitivity for Mavic 3. I have a gut feeling it is something really simple do, i.e. to piggy back from existing code base of DJI Go 4 or even write the code from scratch. Hoping this would come in a future firmware, at least if this could be done for the Cine mode as that is what this mode is for imho...

I agree Mike.  When I move from M3 to M2P, it takes some getting used to.  The jerky M3 is just so.... twitchy.  I wonder if it even raises my blood pressure when I fly the M3.  : )
2022-7-28
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 7-28 16:30
Well, if that is the case, sign me up for a Mavic 4.

It is apparent you have no lack of money or ridiculousnence;-) Good for u.
2022-7-28
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The M2 flies with perfection. The M3 disappoints with perfection as well;-)
2022-7-28
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 7-28 20:12
It is apparent you have no lack of money or ridiculousnence;-) Good for u.

Well, I do like to stay current.  No such thing as unlimited money, but I would of course sell and divest out of the M3 if a whole new model comes out that makes my day better.  
2022-7-29
Use props
Mzp
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 7-28 19:15
I agree Mike.  When I move from M3 to M2P, it takes some getting used to.  The jerky M3 is just so.... twitchy.  I wonder if it even raises my blood pressure when I fly the M3.  : )

Lol same here Tony, Mavic 2 seems like a drone made by different company with the difference in behavior / features

Thanks, Mike.
2022-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

UgoFly Posted at 7-27 02:58
This is exactly the problem! They built a drone that moves abruptly without being able to dampen the gimbal !!!

The drone does not move abruptly it actually moves pretty smoothly . It stops more abruptly. But are you looking for a drone that does not stop when you release the sticks or a drone that will continue on and stop somewhere you don’t want. I don’t believe this abrupt stopping in any way effects filming and I can point to many extremely creative videos that clearly show great skill by drone users using Mavic 3, I have seen very few if any showing that videoing was ruined because the drone stops abruptly. But perhaps many drones are still flying because they actually stopped when user decided to stop them IE taking fingers off the sticks.

If dji want to add a feature to cine mode where the drone continues to fly a limited distance before coming to a stop as they did with other drones “that’s Fine” but if I’m flying in sport mode and I need to emergency stop or in normal mode then I want the drone to stop as quickly as it can.
2022-7-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-29 07:14
The drone does not move abruptly it actually moves pretty smoothly . It stops more abruptly. But are you looking for a drone that does not stop when you release the sticks or a drone that will continue on and stop somewhere you don’t want. I don’t believe this abrupt stopping in any way effects filming and I can point to many extremely creative videos that clearly show great skill by drone users using Mavic 3, I have seen very few if any showing that videoing was ruined because the drone stops abruptly. But perhaps many drones are still flying because they actually stopped when user decided to stop them IE taking fingers off the sticks.

If dji want to add a feature to cine mode where the drone continues to fly a limited distance before coming to a stop as they did with other drones “that’s Fine” but if I’m flying in sport mode and I need to emergency stop or in normal mode then I want the drone to stop as quickly as it can.

All we're asking for is to make the Mavic 3 fly like ALL the other drones they've previously released.

Whenever this subject comes up, you exaggerate what we want to achieve with it. No, I don't want it stopping 30 ft beyond where I expected it to stop, but I do want it to come to a controlled stop at a distance which I would expect it to take to slow down.

Do you slam the brakes on your car when you reach traffic lights or do you use your skills to gently apply the brakes and come to a gentle and predictable stop which is a short distance from when you initiated the brakes?
2022-7-29
Use props
UgoFly
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

The drone does not move abruptly it actually moves pretty smoothly . It stops more abruptly. But are you looking for a drone that does not stop when you release the sticks or a drone that will continue on and stop somewhere you don’t want. I don’t believe this abrupt stopping in any way effects filming and I can point to many extremely creative videos that clearly show great skill by drone users using Mavic 3, I have seen very few if any showing that videoing was ruined because the drone stops abruptly. But perhaps many drones are still flying because they actually stopped when user decided to stop them IE taking fingers off the sticks.

The Mavic 3 starts and stops abruptly and if the subject to be shot is close enough the defect on the shot is evident. If, on the other hand, what you are shooting is far away, it is clear that the defect is not visible. If you want to see a shot ruined by this defect, just look at the one I posted on the post. I challenge anyone to take a moving shot with the Mavic 3 and then slowly stop and continue shooting, it's impossible. If, on the other hand, I needed to stop abruptly, I could always do as I do with other drones and that is to move the sticks in the opposite direction in order to give a force contrary to the movement.
2022-7-29
Use props
UgoFly
Second Officer
  • >>>
Italy

Mzp Posted at 7-29 06:31
Lol same here Tony, Mavic 2 seems like a drone made by different company with the difference in behavior / features

Thanks, Mike.

The Mavic 2 is a drone made by a company that had understood with DJI GO 4 that users are of many types, from those with few needs to those who have yet to learn or video professionals who need a small drone but not for this poor man. Unfortunately, now this company by replacing DJI GO 4 with DJI FLY has decided to abandon the professional users who are probably also the ones who complain the most to dedicate themselves only to undemanding people.
2022-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 7-29 07:28
All we're asking for is to make the Mavic 3 fly like ALL the other drones they've previously released.

Whenever this subject comes up, you exaggerate what we want to achieve with it. No, I don't want it stopping 30 ft beyond where I expected it to stop, but I do want it to come to a controlled stop at a distance which I would expect it to take to slow down.

No I don’t slam the brakes on my car and when I use my drone I can judge without any difficulty where and when I want my drone to stop and I cannot see anything wrong with that. Releasing the sticks will stop the drone so I cannot see the problem. Looking for the drone to continue on after Braking doesn’t make any sense , if you want to continue filming then brake later. If you want a similar mode that you see in orignal Mavic Air cinematic mode then thats a whole different kettle of fish. Im quite happy that my drone stops when Im no longer controlling it.
2022-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

UgoFly Posted at 7-29 07:54
The Mavic 3 starts and stops abruptly and if the subject to be shot is close enough the defect on the shot is evident. If, on the other hand, what you are shooting is far away, it is clear that the defect is not visible. If you want to see a shot ruined by this defect, just look at the one I posted on the post. I challenge anyone to take a moving shot with the Mavic 3 and then slowly stop and continue shooting, it's impossible. If, on the other hand, I needed to stop abruptly, I could always do as I do with other drones and that is to move the sticks in the opposite direction in order to give a force contrary to the movement.

I seen what you posted above and was simply amazed that you wanted the drone to fly closer “out of your control” instead of flying as close as you could knowing your drone will stop. The example makes no sense and Im not sure why you would risk your drone crashing into something after you voluntarily gave up control. So what you need to do is fly as close as you would with your old drone and you won’t need to reversing trying to save a collision. Again some dji drones had a cinematic feature that allowed “a measured continuation of flight” that might make more sense. But yes I’m quite happy to have my drone stop when I lay off the sticks and I have no problems filming with Mavic 3.
Almost all film makers on your shot above would have started close to the statue and moved slowly backwards, reverse the footage and you will get much smoother footage of that shot...
2022-7-29
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The drone does not move abruptly it actually moves pretty smoothly . It stops more abruptly. But are you looking for a drone that does not stop when you release the sticks or a drone that will continue on and stop somewhere you don’t want. I don’t believe this abrupt stopping in any way effects filming and I can point to many extremely creative videos that clearly show great skill by drone users using Mavic 3, I have seen very few if any showing that videoing was ruined because the drone stops abruptly. But perhaps many drones are still flying because they actually stopped when user decided to stop them IE taking fingers off the sticks.

True enough Hallmark.  A few of us are being inprecise on our words.  I just would like to see it stop a lot smoother to feel like it's not breaking it's back just to come to a stop.

I don't have a lot of examples where the shot was ruined because as a best practice I keep shooting past the planned stop point to edit in post anyways, but for ideal behavior, I really do want the M3 to be able to come to a more less than frantic stop.  : )
2022-7-29
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 7-29 07:28

To be fair, we need to seperate drone flying from driving cars.  I do in fact slam on my brakes.   Addiitonally, I drive +10 over PSL.  But that's just a preference.  : _)
2022-7-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-29 09:45
No I don’t slam the brakes on my car and when I use my drone I can judge without any difficulty where and when I want my drone to stop and I cannot see anything wrong with that. Releasing the sticks will stop the drone so I cannot see the problem. Looking for the drone to continue on after Braking doesn’t make any sense , if you want to continue filming then brake later. If you want a similar mode that you see in orignal Mavic Air cinematic mode then thats a whole different kettle of fish. Im quite happy that my drone stops when Im no longer controlling it.

Can you just watch my video and comment on the fact that the M3 stops differently to the Air 2s?

You seem to think that we can't make a drone gently stop. The issue is that no matter how gently you try to stop a M3, the 1% to 0% input always causes the drone to abruptly brake. The video I've posted shows how the brake settings are too sharp for this drone, when compared to other drones.

What this also leads on to, is terrible oscillations when the drone brakes too hard and causes it to have to overcompensate. I'm in the process of getting a flight log uploaded from yesterday when this exact issue happened and it looked like the drone was about to flip itself out of the sky, all caused by a diagonal flight, where the crossover between horizontal and forward inputs caused severe oscillations.
2022-7-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 7-30 00:20
Can you just watch my video and comment on the fact that the M3 stops differently to the Air 2s?

You seem to think that we can't make a drone gently stop. The issue is that no matter how gently you try to stop a M3, the 1% to 0% input always causes the drone to abruptly brake. The video I've posted shows how the brake settings are too sharp for this drone, when compared to other drones.

First off it also is different to my Mini 3 which is also different to my air2s so im quite familiar how they work. I also fly with two other guys who own a Mavic 3 one of them shoots film for ITV , he tells me and I have seen that he has tremendous control over his Mavic 3, much better than me. So its not a problem controlling Mavic 3 in fact you will most likely learn to have better faster control over it simply because you know what its going to do. So unlike you Im happy to control the Mavic 3 as it is.
I did say in earlier posts that an option with Cine mode for the drone to continue after release would be helpful.

“What this also leads on to, is terrible oscillations when the drone brakes too hard and causes it to have to overcompensate.”

With regards to above this was a great problem with phantoms because people were using “reverse” to try stopping the drone going forward and this would more likely damage your drone than the way it is now. In fact the OP here is recommending it, which seems strange.

But as it is Im not having problems with “instant braking” and apart from the drone sounding or looking aggressive I’m over that.
2022-7-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TonyPHX Posted at 7-29 14:11
True enough Hallmark.  A few of us are being inprecise on our words.  I just would like to see it stop a lot smoother to feel like it's not breaking it's back just to come to a stop.

I don't have a lot of examples where the shot was ruined because as a best practice I keep shooting past the planned stop point to edit in post anyways, but for ideal behavior, I really do want the M3 to be able to come to a more less than frantic stop.  : )

I’m not sure exactly why they designed it to work as it is. But I will say it’s no more difficult to control than any other dji drone in fact It’s more responsive now. So I don’t have any real problems. Yes it sounds more aggressive when it stops and looks to be a bit jumpy but it’s just doing as the controller signal tells it to. Bigger drones react similarly. Not sure giving up control is a good idea. Just my thoughts.
2022-7-30
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2022-7-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced