Motor arm cracks
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I'm starting a new thread here as the existing ones seems to be getting a bit out of hand.
I have some 80+ flights over 50Km distance, and I am generally blown away by this fantasic product. For example when you try to explain all of the P3s features you just find yourself going on, and on, and on, as there are so many.  I have a brilliant collection of pictures taken over the last 2 months that would be impossible to take without hiring a private helicopter, and even then the Heli could not get to some places where my Phantom has been.

But, it is obvious that the shell is not robust enough.
I understand that the shell used is virtually the same as the P2, however the motors and ESC's have been upgraded.  Users of the P2 have commented how much faster the P3 is in horizontal and vertical flight.  I have no experience of the P2, but when I first got my P3 I was astounded at how fast it accellerated, and even more about how quickly it stopped when the controls were centred, was like having a set of disc brakes up there.  After upgrading to the latest FW the first thing I noticed was how "soft" the controls had become, particularly when braking, my P3 now takes a couple of seconds to stop from maximum horizontal flight in quite a gentle deceleration compared to before the update.  In fact I often find myself applying my own "brakes" by reversing the control input to stop it quicker and in the position I want.

Now I'm thinking that DJI were aware about the shells cracking, due to the engine braking and much higher torque produced by the new motors and ESC's, maybe on thier long term test models, and DJI made the P3 a lot less aggressive in flight particularly with the extreme acceleration and braking being tamed somewhat by the FW.
But it looks like this was not sufficient and the cracks are appearing on the P3 in increasing numbers, both due to the amount of flights each P3 has flown, and the knowledge gained from the forum.  i.e. people are now looking for cracks.

All credit to DJI for making the P3 much faster to accelerate and quicker to respond to control inputs and aerodynamic forces and gusts.
All credit to DJI for trying to prevent the cracks through the gentler handling.  If this was the case, I am guessing here.
All credit to DJI for changing thier replacement policy regarding cracked bodies as ther now realise that the cracks are not the users fault but a design flaw.
But now the big issue seems to have passed to the length of time this warranty replacement of bodies will take, most people expecting 8 weeks or more, and the doubt in every owners mind that the replacement shell will be no different, and that within another say 50 flights thier new shells will have cracked.

So the solution?
1.  A strengthened lower shell with reinforcement around the cracking stand offs.  Maybe larger head screws to spread the load over a greater area, the simple addition of material, addition of fillets and webs to the failure areas, maybe metal inserts at the site of the failures all could or should be considered?
2.  Free shipping of a new strengthened shell to each customer who requests this, i.e. the hobbyist and model maker who thinks they are capable of doing this work.
3.  A much quicker turn around time of a strengthened shell for the other customers with cracked lower shells who are not capable or who dont have the time or inclination to carry out this work.

My interim solution is to strengthen the coupling between the lower and upper shell with a couple of layers of adhesive tape tightly wound around each arm just inboard of the motors.  This will still allow the 2 halves to move with reference to each other as different forces from the motors flex the arms, but the tape should reduce this movement, hopefully to the levels that will prevent the cracks either happening or propogating.  The tape mod has considerable stiffened my P3s arms both by limiting the twisting of the arms and the movement of the upper shell against the lower shell, this is evidenced by the reduction in "creaking" noise.  This tape can be periodically removed to inspect for cracks, and if any do develop it will prevent the two halves parting in flight.  When a new strengthened lower shell is available I will probably opt for 2. or 3 depending on the turn around time for 3.

I dont think we can expect a 100% refund of the purchase price from DJI, but we do need a solution to this well established problem.  A month of flying followed by 2 months repair is not something I am looking forward to.........

2015-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules