Advice for learning Acro
1360 9 2022-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jfbond
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1240538 ft
Ireland

Ultimatly I'd like to fly acro in order to be able to increase filming possibilities (ex: swirling around a point of focus after approaching it at speed.)

II am thinking of flying in angle mode at first, doers that help or is it detrimental to the learning proces (ex: taking bad habits)

I also  have bought an acrobee65 to learn flying acro. Is it something that you guys are doing or do you fly directly with the DJI FPV.

-> I don't want to crash.

Thanks!

2022-7-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jfbond. Good day and thank you for reaching out. I hope that our fellow DJI Co Pilots who owns the DJI FPV can give out the best recommendation and information with regards to this matter. Thank you and keep flying.
2022-7-29
Use props
FlyLow
lvl.3
Switzerland

Ultimatly I'd like to fly acro in order to be able to increase filming possibilities (ex: swirling around a point of focus after approaching it at speed.)
>> you can do it easily in Sport mode if you want and even more easily by leaving the Goggles on the side, in VLOS mode.

2022-7-30
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

Sooner or later you're going to crash. Even the pro's crash. Try not to let that scare you off. I have several drones. And if you're looking to practice without the pain of your wallet then I would recommend using one of those.. But I've crashed those and I've crashed my DJI. One of my crashes was in sport mode
2022-7-30
Use props
Reguzz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60375420 ft
Indonesia

If you want to fly like this for example , yes you need to learn fly in manual mode  learn first using simulator (Liftoff, Uncrased, or VelociDrone) on PC using your DJI FPV remote controller. For real life, and if you afraid crashing your DJI FPV, you need to use costum BNF drone 2 or 4 inch, not the micro one like 65mm, because big different flight charateristic between micro drone and the bigger one.

Flying fully manual can take some time to master, just keep practicing!
2022-7-30
Use props
jfbond
lvl.4
Ireland

SgtRay Posted at 7-30 11:56
Sooner or later you're going to crash. Even the pro's crash. Try not to let that scare you off. I have several drones. And if you're looking to practice without the pain of your wallet then I would recommend using one of those.. But I've crashed those and I've crashed my DJI. One of my crashes was in sport mode

I agree. I have been watching pros on yt and they do crash, they even admit that it is "part of the process".

The financial aspect is one thing but what I can really not contemplate is crashing in somebody's field or worse. If I had a huge field to train that would be fine (like The RCAddict on youtube.)

I have just reset my left stick to spring loaded mode for the time being. I have noted that you crashed once in S mode, risk 0 doesn't exist, I can live with that.
2022-7-31
Use props
jfbond
lvl.4
Ireland

FlyLow Posted at 7-30 07:07
>> you can do it easily in Sport mode if you want and even more easily by leaving the Goggles on the side, in VLOS mode.

+1

VLOS is actually something I am  seriously contemplating because of regulations. You are correct that a lot can be achieved in Sport mode.
2022-7-31
Use props
jfbond
lvl.4
Ireland

Reguzz Posted at 7-30 21:50
If you want to fly like this for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAWXrtIfY9o, yes you need to learn fly in manual mode  learn first using simulator (Liftoff, Uncrased, or VelociDrone) on PC using your DJI FPV remote controller. For real life, and if you afraid crashing your DJI FPV, you need to use costum BNF drone 2 or 4 inch, not the micro one like 65mm, because big different flight charateristic between micro drone and the bigger one.

Flying fully manual can take some time to master, just keep practicing!

I considered liftoff but I am on Ubuntu. So for the time being I decided to train with an acrobee 65. The problem I found is I don't like analog view in the googles + the range is small.

Do you have a recommendation on a small drone for learning, specifically?
2022-7-31
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

jfbond Posted at 7-31 05:26
I agree. I have been watching pros on yt and they do crash, they even admit that it is "part of the process".

The financial aspect is one thing but what I can really not contemplate is crashing in somebody's field or worse. If I had a huge field to train that would be fine (like The RCAddict on youtube.)

Lol yup no mode is safe. If you have a r/c club they would have a good size field.

Also the tiny hawk is a very good practice drone.
So is this bigger Hawk
https://youtu.be/JPP8aJNdDQU
2022-7-31
Use props
maihem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 251211 ft
United States

jfbond Posted at 7-31 05:37
I considered liftoff but I am on Ubuntu. So for the time being I decided to train with an acrobee 65. The problem I found is I don't like analog view in the googles + the range is small.

Do you have a recommendation on a small drone for learning, specifically?

I agree with SgtRay on the Tiny Hawk, Baby Hawk, etc...they are good and not overly expensive.  My neighbor and I had a few of them.  I also am a big fan of the KingKong Fly Eggs, there are several different sizes.  That said, I am still not a great flyer in ACRO.  Early on I was thinking I would cautiously learn on a RotorX Atom V2, which was a mistake.  Flying in a school parking lot at night I punched out high, was doing a lazy roll over that I had pulled off a couple times already, lost sight of the parking lot lights, got disoriented, and pile drove that thing right into the pavement.  I do not recommend learning on anything that cost more than the equivalent of a few hundred dollars.  That's not to say crashes don't happen regardless.  Oh, I also still like flying the KingKong 90GT and 95GT, super small and really fun.
2022-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules