An RTH behaviour question. What do you think happens when ..........
1645 24 2022-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edit 2.... It seems fair to say that I was not the only person to labouring under the misconception of what will happen with the Mini 2. Which is what I wanted to discover.
I was flying in the expectation that the climb to RTH would be cancelled and the drone would then start its flight home.
Attached are a screen capture of the app message and a chart from CsvView showing the throttle, flight mode and height.
I needed a live screen view to judge how low I could descend over vegitation before starting the RTH, it didn't occur or to me to set the camera to manual exposure before starting the climb, sorry for the white space.
EDIT 3. From the manual of the Mini 3 which is perhaps an interesting explanation of the 'new' behaviour.
"When the aircraft is ascending or flying forward, push the control stick completely in the opposite direction to exit RTH, and the aircraft will brake and hover."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With out looking it up or testing or looking at the answers provided by, hopefully, others i.e. press  the ''Post Reply'' button below. PLEASE just say/write what you think will happen when.....
I am interested in finding out what people think without looking it up.
Edit 1. For those who have posted and those who have yet to post, could you please add the drone's firmware version and the App version?
The RTH ceiling is high, say 80+m/262ft, the Mini 2 is 200m/656ft from the home point and at a indicated height of 10m/33ft. You trigger an RTH and after the Mini 2 is above 20m/65.6ft you briefly close the throttle, either completely or partially?
THanks.
Please do not publish the results of testing.......yet.
Ultimately I am interested to see how many people's belief is wrong. That is not a condemnation, hopefully all will become clear later on.
I have done my own test and am not commenting on that ......yet, hence post #9 being about my expectations and only those expectations.

mini 2 rth behaviour.png
mini 2 rth behaviour chart.png
2022-7-30
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

RTH is cancelled
Latest versions of firmware and app.

BTW: this is a guess, I did not try it.
2022-7-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

It keeps RTH. I actually did this a few days ago. You can yaw as it returns on a straight path.
2022-7-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

by pressing descending stick?
2022-7-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 7-30 11:24
by pressing descending stick?

yes that is what I was asking, what do you think happens?
2022-7-30
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-30 11:27
yes that is what I was asking, what do you think happens?

im pretty sure it continue RTH
I am cancelling RTH by long pressing button on the RCN1 controller or on the app
2022-7-30
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone should continue to rise to preset RTH height and head directly for homepoint
2022-7-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

It continues to Return to Home (RTH).
2022-7-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My expectation ......it would halt the climb and trigger the actual flight to home.

I am still interested to see what people think will happen so please posting what you think will happen.

Edit   .........App version 1.3.0. I will need to look the firmware version up .

2022-7-30
Use props
apb7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1267579 ft
United Kingdom

I did it yesterday. It will continue in RTH mode but you can change its speed or direction and the drone will find the best path to return home every millisecond depending on the new position.
2022-7-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ahh thanks but I have edited the opening post to ask that people NOT post the results of 'experimentation' or reality........yet.
There is a reason for the "cloak and dagger" approach.
I have done my own test,  I make, and made, no comment about whether or not the drone behaved in accordance with my expectations.
2022-7-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

omg, mini2 has crashed...why did you not say about the trees    ;-)
2022-7-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 7-31 00:41
omg, mini2 has crashed...why did you not say about the trees    ;-)

????? did you post in the correct thread? or a joke?????

2022-7-31
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-31 01:09
????? did you post in the correct thread? or a joke?????

sorry  
2022-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-31 01:50
During RTH, if you reduce throttle while a bird is climbing to its RTH altitude, it will stop ascending & RTH at the current altitude.  This is the way it has always functioned.

That's the old way, but DJI has made changes in recent models and ascent isn't stopped by moving the throttle.
2022-7-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh well, indeed closing the throttle did cancel the RTH, .................A major step backward in my opinion.

I saw it sometime ago, somewhere  in the manual,  but it is NOT HIGHLIGHTED which, for a fairly important change, I think DJI should draw attention to it. I only remembered to test it a couple of days ago.

Page 15  of the manual

''If the aircraft is at an altitude of 65 ft (20 m) or higher and has not yet reached the RTH altitude, the
throttle stick can be moved to stop the aircraft from ascending and the aircraft will fly to the Home
Point at its current altitude (only available with firmware v1.0.0.0. This function is not available when
the firmware is updated to v1.1.0.0 or late.''

2022-7-31
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

The drone will still continue on its RTH path. Moving the throttle sticks won't cancel RTH
2022-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Suren Posted at 7-31 19:37
The drone will still continue on its RTH path. Moving the throttle sticks won't cancel RTH

It does in my testing with a Mavic 3.
Hold the throttle down a couple of seconds while in RTH and RTH is cancelled..
2022-7-31
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 7-31 21:03
It does in my testing with a Mavic 3.
Hold the throttle down a couple of seconds while in RTH and RTH is cancelled..

I did not know that, thanks
2022-7-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Post #1 edited to show screen capture of the cancellation message and a csvView chart
2022-8-1
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-1 05:29
Post #1 edited to show screen capture of the cancellation message and a csvView chart

Hi,

Flying at the RTH setting AND pushed fwd/aft stick fully aft = RTH cx as well
DJI should change their messages, "Aircraft flying backward" is nonsense, drone is flying foward ofcourse in a RTH.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a look at my the forward/reverse and left/right stick commands and this is what I found. That's forward stick I think.
2022-8-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From the manual of the Mini 3

"When the aircraft is ascending or flying forward, push the control stick completely in the opposite direction to exit RTH, and the aircraft will brake and hover."
2022-8-6
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

fateofangel Posted at 7-30 11:32
im pretty sure it continue RTH
I am cancelling RTH by long pressing button on the RCN1 controller or on the app

That's what I do to when I trigger an RTH. Under those conditions, if the signal strength is good, you can cancel the RTH by pressing the "Flight Pause" button on the center left of the RC N1 controller. That will stop the RTH, and the drone will then hover where it is until you tell it what to do.

I don't think you can cancel ONLY the climb portion of the RTH feature. I fly in the mountains, and I have my RTH set pretty high, so this comes up for me fairly often.

If you want to, you can cancel the RTH as described above, and then go into the "Control" tab in DJI Fly, and set the RTH altitude to some lower value. If the altitude that you set is below the current altitude of the drone, you can hit the "Flight Pause" button again, and it will then proceed home without climbing.

If the control signal is broken, and the RTH triggers as a result, this won't work. The drone will the  climb to the RTH altitude that you last gave it. Frequently the climb will restore the control signal connection, and you can then cancel RTH.

TCS
2022-8-7
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

thanks for testing, i was wrong
2022-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now