FAA updates: Mini 3 Pro Remote ID / Lance Capability?
12Next >
8199 79 2022-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11224 ft
United States

Hey folks,

I have my Part 107 and I am looking to fly the Mini 3 pro over people in the USA. The smaller drone is a lot less intimidating.

With prop guards (or a plus battery) we're going to have to classify this thing as a type 2 UAV which requires remote ID as well as compliance with the 11 foot-pounds of kinetic energy.

As a very "new" drone, and with DJI taking about Remote ID in blog posts, I would have expected something to be said by now regarding this.

Since we're inside of 45 days for manufacturers to be compliant, when can we expect to see whether our Mini 3's will need external Remote ID boxes or just a software upgrade?

Oh yeah, and what happened to integrated Laanc.. again, an encouraging blog post way back when... and then nothing.
2022-8-2
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

RemoteID doesn't kick in until Sept 2023. I'm guessing the Mini 3 Pro will never be compliant, instead will just be thrown away.
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

integrated laanc?
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

looks like rid is going to happen. however, nobody knows for sure what it takes, is everything even finalized yet?  https://dronedj.com/2022/07/29/faa-remote-id-drone-rule/
2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

jefish Posted at 8-2 12:35
RemoteID doesn't kick in until Sept 2023. I'm guessing the Mini 3 Pro will never be compliant, instead will just be thrown away.

That means theyll have to stop selling them in 45 days.
2022-8-2
Use props
jefish
lvl.3
United States

JeremyLaurenson Posted at 8-2 13:18

What? Why?
2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-2 13:01
looks like rid is going to happen. however, nobody knows for sure what it takes, is everything even finalized yet?  https://dronedj.com/2022/07/29/faa-remote-id-drone-rule/

"That said, if you fly a Mavic Mini, Mini 2, or Mini 3 purely as a hobbyist, you have nothing to worry about." is not true - they have to "not lacerate skin" which likely means a prop guard, which will push it over 250g...
2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/drone_pilots

"Next, there are compliance dates:

September 16, 2022:
Manufacturers and producers of UAS must comply with the final rule's requirements for them."
2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

So basically the Mini 3 will have had a shelf life  of 4 months.
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jeremy, this is a good video to start with:

2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

Actually, I think we just need some straight info from DJI now... we're within 45 days as of today, the challenge was rejected and theyre going to need to let us know.
2022-8-2
Use props
fans5d3e3440
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4964 ft
United States

I thought the requirement was only for "new" drones that first come on the market, to be compliant, not existing models, no matter when they are manufactured/sold.
2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-2 12:59
integrated laanc?

https://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-welcomes-easy-fast-access-to-controlled-us-airspace-for-recreational-drone-pilots

“The FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier last year, which will in the future allow DJI professional and recreational customers to use DJI solutions to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals when planning flights. Further details on LAANC services currently under development by DJI will be announced in due course.”
2022-8-2
Use props
fans5d3e3440
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4964 ft
United States

Also only "registered" drones require Remote ID.  So the M3P can continue to be sold and flown without it, as long as you don't use the Plus battery, and fly under the 44809 exemption.
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans5d3e3440 Posted at 8-2 15:17
I thought the requirement was only for "new" drones that first come on the market, to be compliant, not existing models, no matter when they are manufactured/sold.

this is why it is so confusing because words matter.  i agree with you but didn't you intend to say

"I thought the requirement was only for "new" models that first come on the market, to be compliant, not existing models, no matter when they are manufactured/sold."

when you say new "drones", those could be drones on the shelf that haven't yet sold.  people are talking about pulling inventory, reworking stock, etc.   nightmare.
2022-8-2
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JeremyLaurenson Posted at 8-2 15:27
https://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-welcomes-easy-fast-access-to-controlled-us-airspace-for-recreational-drone-pilots

“The FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier last year, which will in the future allow DJI professional and recreational customers to use DJI solutions to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals when planning flights. Further details on LAANC services currently under development by DJI will be announced in due course.”

to me, "integrated" would mean pull back on the sticks to fire up the props, pause for a second, get a text message with your authorization details.  never going to happen.  not a big deal, it's already pretty easy.  back in the day, this news likely meant app provider as in the smart controller or in fly.
2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

fans5d3e3440 Posted at 8-2 15:35
Also only "registered" drones require Remote ID.  So the M3P can continue to be sold and flown without it, as long as you don't use the Plus battery, and fly under the 44809 exemption.

Yes; except its the Mini 3 "pro" indicating part 107 and registration and prop guards are an issue to hit the type 0 requirement.

Also of note is that in this post: https://viewpoints.dji.com/blog/faa-remote-id-what-it-means-for-you-and-your-dji-drone
Posted April 21 of 2020, they state: "DJI’s newest drones are being designed and built with these future Remote ID requirements in mind." so presumably the M3P is in that crop.

Either way, before I sink more money into it, id like clarification as to whether I should just wait.
2022-8-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It will be extended as they have not ratified the protocol yet for remote id -

2022-8-2
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

I’m looking for status updates from DJI.

None of this is a surprise to them.

We can guess all we want, but they obviously will “have a plan” that they’ve just been keeping close to their chest.

2022-8-3
Use props
MySky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

As they have recently implemented RID for Japan with one of the last FW updates, i think it should be easy for DJI to implement it the same way.
2022-8-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-8-3
Use props
JEZ2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Just to clarify "we" can't classify anything as category 2 in the US.  DJI will have to do that through testing and certification and its not guarantee that it will be.
2022-8-3
Use props
bjr981s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jefish Posted at 8-2 12:35

My understanding is that no new drones can be sold from this coming September without inbuilt Remote ID. even though you don't have to switch it on till sep 23. And there is no published standards.

There goes the market, hobby shops will be empty buy October if the don't delay or change the law.

Fortunately I live in a free country and we don't have this malarky.
2022-8-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bjr981s Posted at 8-3 15:26
My understanding is that no new drones can be sold from this coming September without inbuilt Remote ID. even though you don't have to switch it on till sep 23. And there is no published standards.

There goes the market, hobby shops will be empty buy October if the don't delay or change the law.

we live in a country more free than yours and somebody lied to you if that's what you believe.  
2022-8-3
Use props
Volsi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116089 ft
Japan

In japan we use this. The Mini 2, Mini 3 pro (and others)  manage the remote ID with DJI Fly (you have to use this if you bought your drone after the june 20th of this year). It's easy, just record your id inside the app.

Will be the same for other countries.
2022-8-3
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

Volsi Posted at 8-3 16:13
In japan we use this. The Mini 2, Mini 3 pro (and others)  manage the remote ID with DJI Fly (you have to use this if you bought your drone after the june 20th of this year). It's easy, just record your id inside the app.

Thank you Volsi-san for a real answer. Hopefully the spec is close enough to USA rules. Do you have any link to the details for remoteID in Japan?
2022-8-3
Use props
Volsi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116089 ft
Japan

I have a link (in english with google translate)  https://www.dji.com/jp/newsroom/news/dji-remote-id-start
It was with the firmware V1.6.6

2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Ah no,why would they stop selling them ?
2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

If you use the mini 3 pro with the regular batteries it is 249 grams,do not have to register.No register,it is therfore exempt
2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

You will need neither as the weight is 249 with regular battery,no register,then is exempt from remote ID.However if using the +
2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

battery then registration is needed,and remote ID is factored in.
2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

Volsi Posted at 8-3 16:13

That is a different remote ID and has nothing to do with whats coming in Sept.2023
2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

JeremyLaurenson Posted at 8-2 13:32
"That said, if you fly a Mavic Mini, Mini 2, or Mini 3 purely as a hobbyist, you have nothing to worry about." is not true - they have to "not lacerate skin" which likely means a prop guard, which will push it over 250g...

fly in an area that does not need a prop guard,there you go comes in under 250 g. nothing to worry about.
2022-8-3
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

Ah no afraid your way wrong there.
2022-8-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pastime Posted at 8-3 18:56
Ah no,why would they stop selling them ?

is that what the law says?  after september 2022, merchants can continue to sell new drones which are not RID-capable as long as they are used for recreational purposes and weigh less than 249g?
eta:  personally i think the deadlines will be extended but i agree with you in a different way.  i believe new models (not new-in-box) drones have to comply.  anyway, we'll see.

one more video, sorry it's a long one, but a good one and it has way more rid information than just the recent ruling:

2022-8-3
Use props
JeremyLaurenson
lvl.2
United States

Yes, as stated at the first post, I fly under part 107.
I am looking for DJI updates on RemoteID and to a much lesser extent Laanc as to the viability long term of a Mini Pro vs some of the bigger models.
Its awesome that a lot of you are all rec flyers, but that wasnt my question and most of the DJI lineup (including Minis with prop guards) will be subject to the rule, regardless.

2022-8-4
Use props
KLRSKIR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

JeremyLaurenson Posted at 8-4 04:30
I am looking for DJI updates on RemoteID and to a much lesser extent Laanc as to the viability long term of a Mini Pro vs some of the bigger models.
Its awesome that a lot of you are all rec flyers, but that wasnt my question and most of the DJI lineup (including Minis with prop guards) will be subject to the rule, regardless.

Exactly! 107 requires registration regardless.  Also, if you check the plus battery manual, DJI recommends adding no other accessories including prop guards. Anyway, like MySky said, when RemoteID gets closer, DJI should implement via FlyApp.
2022-8-4
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
United States

fans5d3e3440 Posted at 8-2 15:35
Also only "registered" drones require Remote ID.  So the M3P can continue to be sold and flown without it, as long as you don't use the Plus battery, and fly under the 44809 exemption.

Ahmen,you have it right.
2022-8-4
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

JeremyLaurenson Posted at 8-4 04:30
I am looking for DJI updates on RemoteID and to a much lesser extent Laanc as to the viability long term of a Mini Pro vs some of the bigger models.

Might want to reach out to DJI directly to try to get a direct response from them. Not sure if they will respond, but better chance then here.
Till then, it'll just be a discussion on this thread.

2022-8-5
Use props
Glhs958
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753130 ft
  • >>>
United States

JeremyLaurenson Posted at 8-2 15:27

“The FAA approved DJI as a LAANC UAS Service Supplier last year, which will in the future allow DJI professional and recreational customers to use DJI solutions to seamlessly apply for LAANC approvals when planning flights. Further details on LAANC services currently under development by DJI will be announced in due course.”

I do not see DJI as a authorized LAANC provider.
FAA LAANC approved providers
2022-8-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules