GPS on ipad air 2 without 4G module
2581 9 2015-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

I just bought an ipad Air 2 without the 4G module (No way i'm paying $200 more for that and figured i would tether to my phone if needed anyway), however I didn't realize it also doesn't come with GPS so I cannot use the "make my location the home location" feature.  Anyone know if tethering will allow use of cell GPS?  I have tried, but still can't get it to work.  If that's not possible, what's the best method of getting GPS on the ipad so I can use that?  Reason is, while boating I am moving around and when we stop, it would be easy to set my location as home and have it come back to me no matter where I am.  I am also concerned that the "follow me" will not work once they release it.
2015-8-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Customers have 14 days to return or exchange the iPad, in your case for a Cellular version.
You don't need to have a CELL account to utilize the GPS.

That's also what I'm using and it's awesome, it works great.

Enjoy the new App and FirmWare.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-6
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Oh how much I hate taking a drink of that Apple cool-aid.....That's what I ended up doing, but hated spending the additional $150 after already dropping that much on the thing in the first place.  LUCKILY the cell version went on sale.  This was the cool-aid that I drank:  Bought Wi-Fi only edition on sale for $125 off normal price, cell version was not on sale so it would have been almost $300 higher at the time.  Luckily, just before the 14 day cutoff the cell version went on sale for $100 off so that upgrade still cost me almost $200.  In the end I have a nice top notch iPad for the price of what I could get 2 android tablets for.  Just got the new version last night so I haven't had time to see how well it all works, but I am assuming it will work smooth.  I have to admit it is a very nice device, but I have never felt they are worth their price.  Guess I should have got the Gold color so I can at least say it is made of gold!
2015-8-7
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

I also use my phone as a hotspot so I can get the maps and use the "my location".
Works a treat with no issues so far.
2015-8-7
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Colin,  when you use your phone for data, are you saying your "My location" works?  Mine told me it couldn't set the location due to GPS signal.  I tried tethering from my phone and from a dedicated hot spot with no luck.
2015-8-7
Use props
al.zamorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256362 ft
United States

I use my iPad Air 2 with wifi as my cell phone as the hotspot and works perfect. Home point and maps load perfectly. I wasn't going to spend the extra $ for the 4G version plus the added expense of paying for an extra device for data on my plan.

2015-8-7
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Hey kleake1, just one caution.  When you're on your boat, always try to land the Phantom manually (meaning, in GPS mode, but not RTH).  Even in RTH mode, the Phantom could land anywhere from 6-10' or more away from where it recorded Home Point.  The below photo was a RTH test I did - it landed about 6' away from the black square which was HP.  Would hate to see your next post, "Missed the boat by that much."  (Said in my best Maxwell Smart accent)

RTH.JPG
2015-8-7
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

haha, yea that wouldn't be purdy there Hunter.  I only use the RTH to get it close to me, then I always manually take over and land.  I even do that while on the ground because I like the practice of landing and the auto is a little abrupt when it touches down.  Besides, the boat usually drifts a little from when I set my home point, but at least I can get it within 20-30 feet of me instead of a mile away at my starting point.

al.zamorski, are you saying it sets your home point when you launch or that you can successfuly reset your home point to where you are standing, while the quad is flying?  These are two different things.   Since the quad has a GPS, I can always set it's location as the home, but I couldn't set "MY" location as home since I didn't have GPS.  If yours is working, that means that in some way your phone is sharing it's GPS signal as well?
2015-8-7
Use props
cob666
lvl.2

Canada

Tethering will not transfer the iPhone GPS data.  
You can get location data on the WiFi only iPad through WiFi location information but applications that need actual GPS data will not function properly.
2015-8-7
Use props
Skyrider
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules