transfer photos without removing gimbal cover
3122 14 2022-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vkondra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1177257 ft
Israel

Currently, photos can be transferred from the drone in 2 ways without removing SD card:
- over wifi
- over USB

In both cases, drone is pwered on first, this implies gimbal cover removal to avoid gimbal damage. In case of WiFi, it is also suggested to unfold legs to improve signal.

Can we have some method to copy images that will not require gimbal cover removal?

I suggest this: connect drone to computer with USB cable first, then power it on. In this case drone can detect USB data connection and don't try moving gimbal and motors. Can you please change the drone firmware  this way?
2022-8-9
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

If you use the new style gimbal cover (which now comes with all new drones), then it does not need to be removed as it can move freely inside the cover.
It is also available from 3rd party.

2022-8-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would however be concerned about ventilation which is already a 'problem' with the Mini 3.
From what I have seen there are a lot of ventilation slots behind the gimbal and quite a few folks already have fans blowing over switched on, non flying Mini 3's

Though, to be honest, I do not see the point in wasting a drone switch on or battery power on a USB transfer to a computer when it is easy enough to remove the card and insert it in a reader attached to the computer. Besides which I dislike using USB connections on camera devices and if you do not have the battery hub you are already using the USB connector to charge the battery and perhaps updates.
2022-8-9
Use props
vkondra
Second Officer
Israel

It is matter of taste, what you like more - removing SD card or plugging USB. Both options has pros and cons. I am not trying to argue what is better. My point USB option may be easily improved and made usable. After all, when you remove SD card, you insert it into some type of USB adapter, unless your computer has this adapter built-in. If drone detects USB data connection, there's no point to turn on power consuming parts, it may act as flash drive with minimal power consumption. Therefore ventilation will not be needed.
2022-8-9
Use props
fans5d3e3440
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4964 ft
United States

nosnoop Posted at 8-9 07:37
If you use the new style gimbal cover (which now comes with all new drones), then it does not need to be removed as it can move freely inside the cover.
It is also available from 3rd party.

Which begs the question, exactly how much of the camera/gimbal is it really protecting, if the gimbal is free to move around.
2022-8-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vkondra Posted at 8-9 10:26
It is matter of taste, what you like more - removing SD card or plugging USB. Both options has pros and cons. I am not trying to argue what is better. My point USB option may be easily improved and made usable. After all, when you remove SD card, you insert it into some type of USB adapter, unless your computer has this adapter built-in. If drone detects USB data connection, there's no point to turn on power consuming parts, it may act as flash drive with minimal power consumption. Therefore ventilation will not be needed.

You have a point about reducing power consumption.

From memory, when down loading DAT's from either a Phantom 3 or perhaps a M2P, but probably the Phantom, the download takes a LLLoooNNNggg time, yet the battery consumption is minimal. As if the drone switches off unneeded parts. Whether or not DJI could modify the boot behaviour I have no idea but the P3  certainly goes through a full boot sequence before it it possible to use the App to switch it into the data transfer mode. That I remember the M2P goes through a full boot process too though the data transfer is triggered  by the running Assistant 2

But if the Mini 3 is connected to the computer without the drone being switched on doesn't that initiate the battery charging mode where the drone can NOT be switched on? It does with the Mavic Mini and Mini 2.

But I still have concerns about ventialation etc. etc. and point a fan at the P3 and M2P.
2022-8-9
Use props
vkondra
Second Officer
Israel

Actually, drone don't even need be powered on to act as a USB drive when connected to the computer... USB provides enough power for the flash drive functionality.
2022-8-9
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

The low power state when plugged into the USB shouldn't power off the drone from overheating (from staying idle too long), right?
2022-8-9
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Most probably the USB functionality is part of the built in microcontroller, you cannot divide the functions, the controller at least has to be booted to activate its USB connection. And if you'd then like to keep the motor controls off you'd have to first implement a more complex power management into the whole system. Which adds up more components and pcb space. I think at some point you have to cut the bill and leave out the things not really needed.
2022-8-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

vkondra Posted at 8-9 11:54
Actually, drone don't even need be powered on to act as a USB drive when connected to the computer... USB provides enough power for the flash drive functionality.

Is the drone designed and built as a USB flash drive?  
2022-8-9
Use props
vkondra
Second Officer
Israel

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-9 13:04
Is the drone designed and built as a USB flash drive?

Depends on design.
2022-8-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-8-9
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

fans5d3e3440 Posted at 8-9 10:39
Which begs the question, exactly how much of the camera/gimbal is it really protecting, if the gimbal is free to move around.

I think in most situation, you mainly want to keep any objects coming into contact with the gimbal and camera lens - and that's exactly what the new cover can achieve.
Slight movement of the gimbal and camera during transportation should not be an issue.
But if the drone would be subjected to rougher handling, then the gimbal should be immobilized with a foam or use the old cover.
2022-8-9
Use props
djiuser_fyGp3xt33Xpr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88593 ft
United Kingdom

fans5d3e3440 Posted at 8-9 10:39

I think the protection isn’t from itself! Nothing can bang it inside its bubble.
2022-8-12
Use props
djiuser_WGnWczGV6EaC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28862 ft
United States

djiuser_fyGp3xt33Xpr Posted at 8-12 02:50
I think the protection isn’t from itself! Nothing can bang it inside its bubble.

I saved the piece of foam that the factory wedged between the back of the camera and the body when it shipped. When transporting demands it I will use it to stop all movement of the camera/gimbal inside the bubble.

How does one identify the old cover from the new one? Thanks!

2022-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules