Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
up up and away.... never to return... FOUND!!!!
12Next >
5355 58 2015-8-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ed.weibe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40056 ft
United States

Well I just put the latest firmware on my P3. Yes the firmware from the day or so ago.
Last night we flew out, got the battery warning, and she was trying to return home when she stopped
and just landed adhoc.   After fruitless searching and a days pay, I still cannot find it from th latest coords I have
on my tablet from it.

It was recording video at the time. I got nice video for about 5 minutes when I was near it, of leaves and vines  lit all red.

Now....  I get one set of position data on the pointer map, and another set of data from the flight log.
Which do I believe.
Is there anything I can get out of these logs like lattitude and longitute etc?
I want to recover before a huge rain comes

2015-8-6
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

doesnt it show on the map where it is? Also, set your critical low battery all the way down so it wont auto land so soon. you can resist landing by pulling throttle up. hope you get your bird back
2015-8-6
Use props
TAZ
lvl.3

United States

Have you downloaded the FlighLog.txt from your phone (is it iOS or Android)?  Once done you can use djilogs.com to convert the log to either a Comprehensive CSV so it is readable by Excel, or a Google Earth KML file so you can see the entire flight path in 3 Dimensional space.  Both methods will allow you to not only see the exact Lat, Long...but also investigate the entire flight path in detail to assist you with finding it.

If you haven't downloaded the .txt file, I can post instructions if you identify your OS of your tablet.
2015-8-6
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

I am using an IOS device.  IPAD air I think it is.

man any help is appreciated. I've been looking all day
2015-8-6
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-7 05:17

man any help is appreciated. I've been looking a ...

go by your map, its is accurate to within 10 meters or 30' i believe.
good luck
2015-8-6
Use props
TAZ
lvl.3

United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-7 05:17

man any help is appreciated. I've been looking a ...

To download your flight logs for more detailed inspection:

1). Connect your iPad to iTunes.
2). In iTunes, Select the Apps Section on your device.
3). On the right side of the iTunes screen scroll to the very bottom of the screen until you see the File Sharing section.
4). Select the DJI application
5). On the right side of this screen, you will see the DJI documents.
6). Drag and drop the FlightRecords folder onto your desktop.  You only have the option to drag the entire folder...not specific Flight Records.

You will now have your flight records locally on your computer.  They are not readable in this format, but you can convert them to a readable format:

1) Find the correct Flight Record text file on your desktop.
2) Go to djilogs.com
3) Upload the associated Flight Record Text file

Your can now convert this flight record to a readable format (Comprehensive CSV) and read it in Excel for example, or into a Google Earth format...or both.  The Google Earth format will display your complete flight path in 3 dimensional space.  If you don't have Google Earth, you can now download the PRO version for free:  just use GEPFREE as the License Key.

In the CSV file you can look at the columns OSD.latitude and OSD.longitude last entry record...and that will tell you it's last known location.  You can type those coordinates into iOS maps (with a comma between the two) or any GPS application, and you'll see precisely where it was.  Loading the KLM file into Google Earth will help you identify the location in 3 dimensional space, and if you zoom down to a surface view, you'll be able to see sorounding landmarks.
2015-8-6
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

trying to even get itunes to show anything described here.  I get ITUNES STORE.
2015-8-6
Use props
TAZ
lvl.3

United States

Can't help you too much in figuring out your version of iTunes.  Not at my computer now.  But, I've attached a stock picture.  Connect you device...select it...and choose Apps.  Scroll to the bottom on the right, and find File Sharing.  The remainder of the instructions should be appropriate.  You're iTunes version may vary from the picture, but if you've selected your connected device...chosen Apps...scrolled down, you should see File Sharing.

image.jpg
2015-8-6
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-7 09:49
Can't help you too much in figuring out your version of iTunes.  Not at my computer now.  But, I've  ...
actually got it to work on my PC
2015-8-6
Use props
TAZ
lvl.3

United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-7 09:51
ok.will try this tomorrow on my large mac.

Also...once you've selected the device...and Apps...make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom on the right. When I first did this myself, I didn't realize there were two sections (one being screen layout...the other being File Sharing).  Two different sections.  If you get to the point you've gotten the flight logs and provide them in a file share...I can help you with the rest, if you'd like.
2015-8-6
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

I've got them.  Logs, videos of some of its descent, and  flight records.

You'd think it would be easy with the descent video. I cant be sure its the final one. I tried to abort the landing so many times but it kept going.
Then I have stills after it landed and I was able to get signal after driving my car into the area.

How to decode the logs?  (nevermind you said this already)
2015-8-6
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

I've gt all decoded.  the telemetry stops midair it seems. the longitude and latitude are in Antarctica.  wtf?
The track of flight looks right. having some trouble getting in a 2d presentation
I'll acccpet your help if your offering
2015-8-6
Use props
TAZ
lvl.3

United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-7 12:05
I've gt all decoded.  the telemetry stops midair it seems. the longitude and latitude are in Antarct ...

For sure. Not sure how to PM on this forum.  Tried adding you as a friend.  You might have to accept first and then that might allow it.  Go to your account settings and see if you can find the friend request.  Otherwise, you can post the FlightRecordxxx.txt on a public share (GoogleDrive or DropBox) and put the link here.  Others might help as well... and we can go from there.

In regards to Antarctica, it might simply be a difference of a +- in regards to the NS or EW of the lat/long.
2015-8-6
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-7 12:36
For sure. Not sure how to PM on this forum.  Tried adding you as a friend.  You might have to accep ...

ok I had lat an d long backwards. I got thr real position.  As I drove around at the time I was getting downlnk of leaves. The unit was down and still transmitting.  I have a ton of files here especially the video captures, info and rec files.

The log files I have. Cant read them.  The flight log files are overwritten apparently. It only saved 4 that night after the hunt for it had begun an th battery was depleted. Can I retreve old fies?

I ahve data. Just how to interpret.
2015-8-9
Use props
TAZ
lvl.3

United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-10 07:04
ok I had lat an d long backwards. I got thr real position.  As I drove around at the time I was ge ...

Instructions as above.  Djilogs.com.
2015-8-9
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.4

United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-10 07:04
ok I had lat an d long backwards. I got thr real position.  As I drove around at the time I was ge ...

Probably too late now because of battery, but what others recommend when that happens is to do an engine start up when you think you are near it and listen for the prop sounds.
2015-8-10
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

The dang thing beeps like crazy when doing a firmware upgrade.... too bad there isnt an option in the app to enable a "location beacon" beep noise.
2015-8-10
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-8-11 01:28
The dang thing beeps like crazy when doing a firmware upgrade.... too bad there isnt an option in th ...

decoded log gives a position above the woods where I think it is about  a minute or two befopre it came to rest.  stil not finding it but it raqises hope maybe its in a treetop.

Oh I strongly suggest a beacon mode or something.   I ordered up some Squares (Tiles)  to put one on it so I can at least use my phone to find it independent of its own signals.

2015-8-10
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

squares have how much range?
2015-8-10
Use props
Mark97564
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

How does the name of this thread fit what actually happend? Up up and away and never to return?  More like it came down down down cuz I didn't know how my toy operates and it landed on me someplace in the woods..  so, are you going to read the owners manual for the next copter?
2015-8-11
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-8-11 10:12
squares have how much range?

the range of bluetooth BUT... at least it will get you to the correct tree.
2015-8-13
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

message removed for the hell of it
2015-8-13
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-10 09:13
Instructions as above.  Djilogs.com.

thanks Taz. Your info helped.  Its just whenever I see Itunes I cringe.  We have the logs to DJI now as well as video and pics. A search drone is going out tonight to check tree tops.
2015-8-13
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-8-11 01:28
The dang thing beeps like crazy when doing a firmware upgrade.... too bad there isnt an option in th ...

maybe an idea for the next upgrade is a tone button. can't say.
2015-8-13
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-8-7 01:26
doesnt it show on the map where it is? Also, set your critical low battery all the way down so it wo ...

it shows where IT thinks it is. and its not there. Most likely now through process of elimination and foilage -type in the video, its in a tree top.
2015-8-13
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-7 02:02
Have you downloaded the FlighLog.txt from your phone (is it iOS or Android)?  Once done you can use  ...

the folder only keeps the 4 newest files. I left the app run for a good while, during the initial night search, and it doesnt have the 4 files in that time period.  Its all good.  I wont bother you people with this problem.  When I recover it I'll just let the few folks who want to know, know.
2015-8-13
Use props
DMB2015
lvl.3

Canada

would be nice to know when you do find it.  good luck!
2015-8-13
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

DMB2015 Posted at 2015-8-14 03:54
would be nice to know when you do find it.  good luck!

currently using another drone to find that drone.
2015-8-13
Use props
Sir Wallaby
lvl.1

Australia

Best of luck
2015-8-13
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

Trakimo??  Got one, have not had to use it, great security blanket. Sorry I can't help.
2015-8-14
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

United States

I'm on the mobile version so it doesn't tell me where you're from. I know that if there's a lost one in my area if always send mine up to try and spot it. I'm in the Baltimore, md USA area
2015-8-14
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc6zby ... st_flight.xlsx?dl=0

here's the last flight on my dropbox.  let me know if you can figure out
what happened.
2015-8-15
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2015-8-14 18:45
I'm on the mobile version so it doesn't tell me where you're from. I know that if there's a lost one ...

Kauai, a little ways off.....lol
2015-8-15
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

clkilljoy1 Posted at 2015-8-14 18:08
Trakimo??  Got one, have not had to use it, great security blanket. Sorry I can't help.

just got another P3P and a Trackimo.  How are you attaching it?
2015-8-15
Use props
Zdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ed.weibe Posted at 2015-8-14 03:33
the folder only keeps the 4 newest files. I left the app run for a good while, during the initial  ...

Weird, about a week later the flight log appeared on my app.  I uploaded the
final flight at the bottom here.
2015-8-15
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

suqsid.bobmail Posted at 2015-8-10 08:08
Probably too late now because of battery, but what others recommend when that happens is to do an  ...

The downloaded video in the IPAD show me doing just that. I tried to relaunch, and  the video shows it trying to get out of the tree ow=r wherever it is.  Guess what.... fall is coming.... I'll find that beast.  
2015-8-31
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

Gabe R Posted at 2015-8-14 06:45
I'm on the mobile version so it doesn't tell me where you're from. I know that if there's a lost one ...

I appreciate that.   I've since obtained a second one and am doing just that. Search and rescue.
2015-8-31
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-8-6 13:26
doesnt it show on the map where it is? Also, set your critical low battery all the way down so it wo ...

Its back.  Full of rain water but thats being remedied.  It was not under power when the water got it so we should be able to recover.  Battery is fine as far as I can tell.   I am not powering up the unit itself until she dries out in Damp-Rid for a week or so after a full flushing with no-residue cleaning fluid.

I had flown search and rescue missions with another drone I built off of ebay,  We had a very windy day during the week and it flexed lots of the trees where I could tell if it was in a tree or not by recording my fly-overs of the area. I scared some folks in the process and got a good talking to by the man of that house, but it was all good

That took me back to the original search site, and some math calculations on the last of the video I had from it to get a bearing as well,and a dfferant view angle in the same area of its original crash led me to find it sideways under foliage in a bush by a tall tall tree.   Recovery of the footage shows it making a damn good auto-descent until it hit the foliage and it just shut off its motors. I was all over the area immediately after the crash and was unable to see the red light it was emitting. Thats how thick the foliage was.

Camera was full of water. Its been cleaned since and is still drying as is the ESC board. The sticker has gone to red and with customer service of DJI taking months and months to get to anything, I am taking my chances fixing it myself.  I have not opened the body.  I have a spare empty one if I need it, but we're going to go with what we have right now. It wasnt completely submerged at all so we have good hopes.
2015-9-11
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

TAZ Posted at 2015-8-6 14:02
Have you downloaded the FlighLog.txt from your phone (is it iOS or Android)?  Once done you can use  ...

Taz thank you.  We've recovered it.  She needs a lot of cleanup after a month out in the wild we're hopeful.
2015-9-11
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
United States

blank

intentionally left blank.
2015-9-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced