Built in Remote ID?
6275 22 2022-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lethargus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5551 ft
United States

Not finding anything obvious, but given we're within the 18 month window for vendors I feel the need to ask.  Does the Avata have built in Remote ID support?  It's over 250 grams.
2022-8-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i see a couple of parts to your question so others will chime it if i get it wrong.  not sure about the 18 months you are referring to but next month is the "deadline" for manufacturers to comply with moc.  as a drone pilot, you are free to fly your drone (any drone) for at least another year and a month.  personally i believe one or two of the deadlines will shift.  i do not believe the current dji drone has remote id "built in" meaning when you go to register your drone at the faa website, you do not choose remote id capable.  like almost all modern dji drones, i do believe they will be properly equipped in the future to comply with the remote id law if not with a sw update then likely with an external module.  finally, this 250g figure you quoted does not pertain to manufacturers, it only means pilots don't need to broadcast remote id if you are less than 250g and fly recreationally.  all commercial drones regardless of weight need remote id.  im not an expert on the law so i could be confused.
2022-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Lethargus. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The new DJI Avata ( https://www.dji.com/avata?site=brandsite&from=nav ) drone supports the ADS-B ( Airsense ) system. Thank you.

2022-8-26
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

https://www.dji.com/se/flysafe/airsense

So it seems we as pilots can get information about other commercial aircrafts, but our DJI drones does NOT broadcast their information. So @DJI Stephen, I think that was not what the OP was asking about.
The new laws demands that OUR drones identify themselves.
Edit. The Avata sends out DJI Aeroscope signals which allows it to be monitored. But I don't know if that feature is in accordance to FAA, EU drone regulations etc.
2022-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2022-8-27
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Avata will be updated via firmware when the time comes. As for the FAA/R-ID, it's all going to get pushed. As always, the United States Federal government overlooks the fine details in an effort to squash innovation, and us all.
2022-8-27
Use props
Lethargus
lvl.1
United States

@ DJI Stephen: Not what I was asking about.  Thanks though.

@ The Saint: If it's over 250g and doesn't broadcast remote ID then it is severely limited to where it can fly once this takes effect, regardless of reason for flight.  https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id  Not to mention you're going to have an interesting case arguing "within line of sight" if you've got the goggles strapped to your face.

@ KLRSKIR: Do you have any references on this?  Module vs built in makes a huge difference, so I'd feel a lot better getting one if I knew it had the hardware to support it and just needed a firmware update.

Bottom line is module vs built in makes a huge different regardless if commercial use or not (See my link.)  One requires line of sight, the other doesn't.  I would hate to buy a drone that's going to be severely limited in where/if/how I can fly it in a year.

Is your average home flyer going to care?  Perhaps not.  As long as they don't have any incidents they'll likely get away with breaking the rules.  Anyone using it for commercial purposes in any way shape or form?  If you want to have insurance coverage as a commercial endeavor then this is going to be a big problem.

Manufacturer compliance date is Sep 16, 2022, less than a month away.  So it makes sense they can enable it (or they'll have to stop US sales/pull from Best Buy shelves on that date) but just looking for confirmation since it's mentioned nowhere I can find.
2022-8-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i think my point was most manufacturers will not decide to include remote id based on the aircraft weight.  regardless of the weight, either the drone gets remote id or it doesnt.  since there are applications where less than 250g drones need remote id, it only makes sense to include it.  however, i can understand if it's a tiny toy drone, maybe never.

never in this country has a consumer product been pulled from the shelves because it didnt comply with a government regulation.  the consumer drone won't be the first one.  anytime i see someone mentioned stop sales or pull from the shelves, i see this as voluntary and almost always initiated by the manufacturer (for business reasons) or the retailer and NOT because of the government orders.  the date isn't meant to be that kind of date, trying to cut off the flow of non-remote id drones into the world.  the date is meant to get manufacturers to start creating new models with remote id and let non remote id drones die out.  let's say a sw update is made available tomorrow, there will still be product on the shelf without this sw update, can it be sold?  if i were best buy, i would take my inventory and send it back and have it re-worked if that were the case.  small merchants are not going to clean out their drones over this.  and before you say a sw update solves the problem so it can be sold....that's not what the regulation says.

the only exception is a recall; a government recall.  products that are officially recalled cannot be sold and current owners must be notified.  very difficult for the government to force a recall that a manufacturer doesn't want and my guess is this won't happen because it isn't a bona fide safety issue.

those are my thoughts.  i agree the dates should move.  lethargus, i agree most recreational flyers won't have remote id but once the word gets out and civilians cannot locate your drone when they spot it flying around the neighbor, this amps up the conversation and the remote id topic will be front and center; we'll start to hear about "ghost drones" that cant be identified.
2022-8-27
Use props
Lethargus
lvl.1
United States

Reading the wording, you're partially right.  Any drone *made* before the cutoff date can still be sold.  So they won't pull stock from shelves.  But they won't be able to sell any drones made after that date unless it supports Remote ID.  So if it is a software patch, they'll need to have the patch in place before the inventory made by 16 Sep 2022 sells out, or they'll run out of stock.  Either way, I'd just really like confirmation that a drone I buy today I can still fly in a year.  I'm not finding anything official from DJI on the topic.

My biggest concern is the FCC application for the Avada: https://fccid.io/SS3-QF2W4K22 only lists the extreme upper bands of the 5GHz wifi range.  I don't know if Remote ID requires the full wifi range, or if just the upper channels will be fine.

Again, anything official from DJI that this drone can still be flown in the US a year from now would be great.  Anything else is just speculation.
2022-8-27
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lethargus Posted at 8-27 11:37
Reading the wording, you're partially right.  Any drone *made* before the cutoff date can still be sold.  So they won't pull stock from shelves.  But they won't be able to sell any drones made after that date unless it supports Remote ID.  So if it is a software patch, they'll need to have the patch in place before the inventory made by 16 Sep 2022 sells out, or they'll run out of stock.  Either way, I'd just really like confirmation that a drone I buy today I can still fly in a year.  I'm not finding anything official from DJI on the topic.

My biggest concern is the FCC application for the Avada: https://fccid.io/SS3-QF2W4K22 only lists the extreme upper bands of the 5GHz wifi range.  I don't know if Remote ID requires the full wifi range, or if just the upper channels will be fine.

DJI recently provided firmware updates to comply with the new Japanese regulations. It also has been mentioned here from various DJI reps that new compliance would be provided via firmware when needed. Take that for what it's worth.
2022-8-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lethargus Posted at 8-27 11:37
Reading the wording, you're partially right.  Any drone *made* before the cutoff date can still be sold.  So they won't pull stock from shelves.  But they won't be able to sell any drones made after that date unless it supports Remote ID.  So if it is a software patch, they'll need to have the patch in place before the inventory made by 16 Sep 2022 sells out, or they'll run out of stock.  Either way, I'd just really like confirmation that a drone I buy today I can still fly in a year.  I'm not finding anything official from DJI on the topic.

My biggest concern is the FCC application for the Avada: https://fccid.io/SS3-QF2W4K22 only lists the extreme upper bands of the 5GHz wifi range.  I don't know if Remote ID requires the full wifi range, or if just the upper channels will be fine.

but you didn't "read the words" otherwise you would not have used the word *made* out of context in reference to assemble or manufacture.  that's not in the rules.  in fact, the rules says, in the proper context:

"After September 16, 2022, no person may produce an unmanned aircraft for operation in the airspace of the United States under a design approval or production approval issued under part 21 of this chapter unless:"

in other words, produced under an unapproved design.

the mini 3 pro is an approved design (shortly), especially with the correct (updated) software.  the intent of the rule is to insist that manufacturers stop producing drones that are incapable of remote id.  when a drone is made, it needs to comply.  that's the end of it.  nothing about transporting drones, shipping drones, buying drones, selling drones, trading drones, flying drones....

the deadline speaks to the makers and manufacturers.  all sellers, merchants, pilots, vendors, etc can pretend like there is no sep 2022 deadline and go about their business.  the rules have no commercial business implications, there are no directives to businesses....they don't have to check anything, they don't have to make phone calls.....nothing.  in the united states, the government doesn't tell businesses how to run their business.  of course they can make rules for manufacturers and they can tell flyers how to fly but anyone who stops selling is doing so of their own free will or maybe they don't understand, not because of government orders.  these are not cigarettes or booze.  like i said, name any other product over the last 20 years that had to be pulled from the shelves because the government changed the rules?  none.

again, what good will the module serve if you can't buy or make a plain drone and attach a module.  if every single drone after next month is remote id inclusive already then the module is only for older drones and when those are gone, no need for a module?

on sept 2022, dji needs to ship drones with sw version 1.00R which is remote id capable.  nothing else changes.  i don't know what it means to have a "patch in place" but it would be nice if everyone who already has the drone can get sw version 1.00R but i'm reading the faa rules and there's nothing in it that says all of us flyers need to have sw version 1.00R before we can fly and there's nothing in it that says a seller can only sell a drone with sw version 1.00R or later in it.

as for the second part of your question:  we can talk about sept 2023 later.
2022-8-27
Use props
Lethargus
lvl.1
United States

Where did you find reference to a software version 1.00R having Remote ID?  I'd love an official DJI link, if you have one.  My biggest concern about this is just being able to fly the thing a year from now if I buy it today.

As for the module, I didn't make the rules, but the FAA clearly makes a distinction between built in vs a module attached.  And a drone with a module has a few more restrictions placed on it (mainly line of sight requirements) than a drone with it built in doesn't.  The distinction is built in also broadcasts the location of the ground station, where the drone with a broadcast module doesn't.  You're going to have a very hard time making a line of sight argument if you're wearing FPV goggles.  So yes, I think any Remote ID module would be for older drones.  Or people who are OK with the line of sight requirement and don't want their ground station location broadcast.
2022-8-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

1.00R is a place holder for the next version of software which contains remote ID (R).

you're the first person i've heard that claims teh faa rules are "clear."

so what will happen in real life?  pilots who make their own fpv drones will attach a module and then continue to fly however they wish which includes no spotter and not los.  let's be realistic.
2022-8-28
Use props
Lethargus
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-28 09:34
1.00R is a place holder for the next version of software which contains remote ID (R).

you're the first person i've heard that claims teh faa rules are "clear."

So... there is nothing official from DJI.  I didn't say all the rules were clear.  Just some of the pieces, like what constitutes built in vs module has nice bulletized items in that link I posted.

And I totally agree most people will completely ignore the rules.  But if you're flying for any commercial reason and you have an incident, well, if you're not following the rules, don't expect liability insurance to cover you at all.

Hence why I was just looking for some sort of confirmation that if I buy the drone today I can keep flying it a year from now.
2022-8-28
Use props
djiuser_CzgoOgnlqZaa
New

United States

Not finding the answer, I went to the live chat support for DJI. In response to my question - whether or not my Avata broadcasts Remote ID, I was told that he would (the support chat person) “need to create a contact reservation for you to let the senior team to answer your concern”.

Odd. Why not have this answer?
2022-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_CzgoOgnlqZaa Posted at 8-31 13:01
Not finding the answer, I went to the live chat support for DJI. In response to my question - whether or not my Avata broadcasts Remote ID, I was told that he would (the support chat person) “need to create a contact reservation for you to let the senior team to answer your concern”.

Odd. Why not have this answer?

probably because the answer is no and he didn't want to tell you for sure since he didn't know for sure.

what does it really matter (right now)?  i think we would all like to know but can't you wait until mid-september to find out for sure?  if dji drones support remote-id, those that get a september sw update should be getting a push with "remote id" noted in the release notes. if not, perhaps that means it's already capable but even then, it will likely to be published so you know one way or another. at this stage, all you would be doing it talking to all the wrong people meaning you would likely get all the wrong (inaccurate) answers i.e. it's kinda a waste of time.

the september date is a deadline for dji; not for the pilot.  i agree pilots should at least be informed so we know what are drones are doing but if i were dji and i anticipated a change to the deadline (because i might have heard rumors thru back channels), i would remain silent until then.  honestly, dji doesn't owe the pilot a definite answer [yet].  i understand potential buyers would like to know if they can fly their drones a year from now and thus, we should be told (in september) one way or the other with some certainty, no argument there.
2022-8-31
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Here's an official DJI blog from a few months ago:
https://viewpoints.dji.com/blog/faa-remote-id-what-it-means-for-you-and-your-dji-drone

Even as of a few weeks ago, the FAA still has not finalized the technical details of Remote ID (not sure if it is by now or not).
So not even DJI has the answer when the technical details are not known.
2022-8-31
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Let's face it, you are NOT going to get anything solid from the FAA, DJI. your state judge, local judge nor your local authorities. When it's all said and "NOT" done, the can will be kicked down the road, at least here in the United States.

My guess is that the FAA will notify anyone with a current Part 107 cert, or by that time a Part 108 cert (yep, you've heard of that right?). I will keep flying and not worry until the boot is on my throat, and we'll know when that is!
2022-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

my understanding is the moc has been approved, accepted, and published as of august 2022 and at this point, drone manufacturers should know exactly what they need to know do in order to come into compliance by september 2022.
https://www.suasnews.com/2022/08 ... m-f3586-22-for-rid/

why do i think the september 2022 deadline will shift?  one month official notice doesn't seem like enough time to make it happen even if you sorta have had an idea what is expected for quite some time now.  maybe it's not that hard, maybe it's just a simple sw update to your entire drone line and that's it.

stay tuned....
2022-8-31
Use props
CutAussie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336657 ft
Australia

I just received my new DJI AVATA September 2022 direct from DJI.    I’m in Australia.
Outside of box says ADSB included.
User user manual says I will receive warning of ADSB equiped AIrcraft in close proximity but does say whether I’m transmitting anything
2022-9-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

see what skydio thinks about remote id and how they plan to handle it:  https://www.skydio.com/blog/skydio-drone-remote-id/
2022-9-7
Use props
EkerX2
lvl.1

Mexico

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-26 20:11
Hello there Lethargus. Good day and thank you for reaching out. The new DJI Avata ( https://www.dji.com/avata?site=brandsite&from=nav ) drone supports the ADS-B ( Airsense ) system. Thank you.

[view_image]

Specifically under the new rules Part 45, (for 107 Commercial Pilots)

"89.125 - Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast(ADS-B) Out prohibition.

• Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Out equipment cannot be used to comply with the remote identification requirements of this part."
2022-9-13
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497421 ft
  • >>>
United States

Look here https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
2022-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now