Urgent help needed to unlock geo zone
5407 37 2022-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcaton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39606 ft
United States

There is a lost dog in my area, been lost now for 8 days with no food or water but reportedly spotted in a marsh west of the island we're on (Wildwood, NJ).
The damn no-fly bs on my mini 3 won't let me take off in this area because it's in a restricted zone.  I go to Background certification - DJI FlySafe and fill in my info and box pops up wanting a code sent to my phone, but the damn code is never received. Not on my phone or my wife's so the problem isn't with our phones.

I've been trying repeatedly for the past 18 hours but the code is never received (probably never sent, despite what the web page says).  I've tried this from my phone and my laptop with differernt broswers. So I can't get past the point where I can even request an unlock code.

In the meantime, there's a dog out there hanging on to her life by a thread and I'm unable to assist.  What bull****.  If I can supposedly go to a web site and get an unlock code by simply requesting it, what purpose does the code serve???

Please, does anyone know how to bypass this crap?  Anyone from DJI here that can help?
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Some additional info...  As noted above, this is with a Mini 3 Pro with the new controller with the built-in screen.  The app isn't any help.  Even if I connect it to my phone's hotspot, it only lets me get so far with requesting an unlock code then tells me it can't send the SMS code to this device (no sh**) and tells me I have to use "phone authorization".  When I click on the link for phone authorization, nothing happens.  Nice programming, DJI.

I have a Mavic Air 2 that I haven't used in quite a while, which I use with an iPad mini that has a cellular connection.  I'm going to charge the batteries and see if I have any better luck with that but if it won't send a confirmation code via SMS I'm probably screwed with that as well.
2022-8-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Go to the DJI Flysafe page and request unlock there.  Simple, and it only takes a few minutes. No need for sms, just copy the code.
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-28 08:02
Go to the DJI Flysafe page and request unlock there.  Simple, and it only takes a few minutes. No need for sms, just copy the code.

As I said, I've tried that. Over and over, on different devices and with different browsers.
I have to complete the "background certification" page first and it needs to verify the phone number I enter with an SMS code.  If I leave the phone number blank, it won't let me continue. Without entering the code I never receive, I can't continue either.
2022-8-28
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297126 ft
Netherlands

I tried to take off in a restricted area by accident and got a message that I needed to unlock a geozone?
I cancelled that message and it looked like I could take off after that…
So out of curiosity I took off and that worked.

Just made her hover and flew at low altitude within 10m or so, but no issues.
Stopped directly after testing my curiosity though.

You can’t cancel the message?
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-28 08:59
I tried to take off in a restricted area by accident and got a message that I needed to unlock a geozone?
I cancelled that message and it looked like I could take off after that…
So out of curiosity I took off and that worked.

Did you try this with a Mini 3 Pro and the controller with the screen? The embedded app is probably a crippled version of the app you would normally run on your phone or tasblet.

If the controller is not connected to wifi, it simply won't take off and it says Authorization Zone in a red box in the upper left part of the screen. There's nothing to cancel.

If I connect the controller to my phone's hotspot, occasionally it will take me to a screen where I have to request a code. But after I enter the required info, it says something like "unable to send SMS to this device" and tells me I need to do a "phone authorization" with a link.  Clicking on that link does nothing.

I've also tried to take off outside the authorization zone, but it will not let me fly into the zone.  The drone simply will not move forward at that point.

2022-8-28
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

dcaton Posted at 8-28 08:20
As I said, I've tried that. Over and over, on different devices and with different browsers.
I have to complete the "background certification" page first and it needs to verify the phone number I enter with an SMS code.  If I leave the phone number blank, it won't let me continue. Without entering the code I never receive, I can't continue either.

Why not leave a phone number? The phone that receives the sms does not need to be connected to the rc. I did it using a laptop.
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-28 09:10
Why not leave a phone number? The phone that receives the sms does not need to be connected to the rc. I did it using a laptop.

Before you can request a geo unlock code, you have to complete the Background Certification page. There is no other option. Presumably this is a one-time thing, so if you've requested a code before then you aren't going to be redirected to the Background Certification page again.

In order to fill out the Background Certification page, you have to enter a phone number.  Then a verification code is sent to that phone number via SMS to verify that it's your phone.  THE SMS WITH THE VERIFICATION CODE IS NEVER SENT.

I cannot complete the Background Certification page without the SMS verifcation code (or by leaving the phone number blank), therefore I cann't request an unlock code for the geo zone I need to fly in.
2022-8-28
Use props
JMR58
First Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Something wrong with the phone number you brought in the Certification page, my experience, use the correct country prefix number and ALL the numbers of your phone number, including the zero's...
Eventually delete your pilot account and restart a Background Certification page as new pilot and your Dji account mail address..., just trying to help to rescue the dog!
2022-8-28
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

dcaton Posted at 8-28 09:06
Did you try this with a Mini 3 Pro and the controller with the screen? The embedded app is probably a crippled version of the app you would normally run on your phone or tasblet.

If the controller is not connected to wifi, it simply won't take off and it says Authorization Zone in a red box in the upper left part of the screen. There's nothing to cancel.

Yep.
The 3 pro and the RC controller.
With the screen indeed.

I don’t think it is a crippled version though…
I think it is the normal android version?
(I was used to iPhone versions, but must say that I see no real differences).

Perhaps not all geo zones are equal.
I am also in the EU while you are in the US…
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

JMR58 Posted at 8-28 10:15
Something wrong with the phone number you brought in the Certification page, my experience, use the correct country prefix number and ALL the numbers of your phone number, including the zero's...
Eventually delete your pilot account and restart a Background Certification page as new pilot and your Dji account mail address..., just trying to help to rescue the dog!

Thank you, but I do know how to enter my phone number correctly and I know what my country code is (=1).  
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-28 10:15
Yep.
The 3 pro and the RC controller.
With the screen indeed.

Well, perhaps not crippled but the app is not running on a phone so there's no cellular radio and therefore no SMS capability. I know the RC is running Android but most likely a customized build for this particular hardware.
2022-8-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I failed to get the SMS or unlock at all on a mobile device or controller - had to use a desktop browser and do it from there.
2022-8-28
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

If all else fails, maybe contact support at: flysafe@dji.com

PS: It seems the SMS stuff is no longer used ... check this video about unlocking the Mini 3:

PPS: I did it myself and registered for the unlock account and yes, you need a SMS verification code to unlock your personal data (not the zone) first. I immediately received the SMS on my cell phone. I used Safari on an iMac and used +49 as the code for Germany and my phone number without spaces and without the leading zero, we usually use inside Germany ... in other words ... international phone number format ;-)
2022-8-28
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

SMS to app is still used if you haven't previously unlocked from a desktop or browser.

Its used on-site if theres no internet.  Of course, no data often means no service so no SMS (as i found out).

2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-28 12:45
I failed to get the SMS or unlock at all on a mobile device or controller - had to use a desktop browser and do it from there.

Thanks, but as I said, I tried multiple times on my laptop with different browsers and with two different phone numbers.
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Drone Jockey Posted at 8-28 13:18

PS: It seems the SMS stuff is no longer used ... check this video about unlocking the Mini 3:

Thanks. I'll check out the video.

Just for fun (well, not really) I tried the background certification thing on my iPad with Safari and the SMS code isn't sent from that device/browser either.  None of the three devices I've tried have anything in common (firewalls, dns servers, etc.) so I think the fly-safe thing is just broken, at least as far as sending SMS goes (or at least sending them to US phone numbers).  Ugh...
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Drone Jockey Posted at 8-28 13:18

What this video shows is exactly what I did.  Over and over, ad nauseum.  Around 2:51 it briefly shows the dialog box where the SMS code is requested and entered.  I do not receive a code and theres no way to proceed without it.  
2022-8-28
Use props
FL_Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810594 ft
United States

dcaton Posted at 8-28 16:17
What this video shows is exactly what I did.  Over and over, ad nauseum.  Around 2:51 it briefly shows the dialog box where the SMS code is requested and entered.  I do not receive a code and theres no way to proceed without it.

I have a suggestion, check with your mobile service provider. I had a problem with T-Mobile blocking SMS “short codes”. Google that topic to see the problem.  Good luck.
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

FL_Flyer Posted at 8-28 16:34
I have a suggestion, check with your mobile service provider. I had a problem with T-Mobile blocking SMS “short codes”. Google that topic to see the problem.  Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I get SMS codes all the time when logging into various things.  Never been a problem.
2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dcaton. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and for giving out these information. For us to be able to assist you with regards to this matter. Kindly please send an email to our DJI FlySafe Department at flysafe@dji.com for us to be able to help you further. Again I am sorry and thank you.
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Well, I sent an email to flysafe@dji.com, fully expecting to get some canned response and little help. To my surprise, I received a reply from a real person within minutes and after I provided the requested information, he unlocked the zone for me, and said the SMS issue had been sent to R&D for investigation.

So kudos to DJI support for the quick response and resolution. I guess I should have done that first, but I wasn't expecting real customer service from a big company like DJI.  I was wrong.

Now, please pray that this poor dog will be found before it's too late.
2022-8-28
Use props
Goggles Pisano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8810745 ft
  • >>>
United States

dcaton Posted at 8-28 18:55
Well, I sent an email to flysafe@dji.com, fully expecting to get some canned response and little help. To my surprise, I received a reply from a real person within minutes and after I provided the requested information, he unlocked the zone for me, and said the SMS issue had been sent to R&D for investigation.

So kudos to DJI support for the quick response and resolution. I guess I should have done that first, but I wasn't expecting real customer service from a big company like DJI.  I was wrong.

Glad to hear..
2022-8-28
Use props
Hannibal_
lvl.4
Netherlands

Good!

Well imo DJI support normally tries to help.
2022-8-28
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Hannibal_ Posted at 8-28 22:55
Good!

Well imo DJI support normally tries to help.

Well, it was a lesson learned about preconceived notions.

I avoid contact with any sort of customer service at all costs and try to figure things out on my own.  If I have to resort to contacting customer service, I usually set the bar really low and generally that's the experience I get. I'd rather chew on crushed glass than call the cable company, etc.

No so with DJI, their support at least in this particular instance was first rate.
2022-8-29
Use props
DocSavage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48107 ft
United Kingdom

Was the dog found?
2022-8-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Sadly no, not yet, but I think everyone is looking in the wrong place. She was supposedly spotted yesterday but the details are sketchy. I'll be going out again shortly.
2022-8-29
Use props
Burstmode
lvl.4
Flight distance : 258379 ft
United States

Don't forget the sausage and string...

2022-8-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

That's a very interesting idea.  Unfortunately, nobody knows exactly where the dog is and it's a pretty large area with a lot of marsh and tall grass and salt water.  There have been a few sightings, but there are very few landmarks to even get a somewhat accurate location. And the trappers say that at this point the dog is very scared and most likely will not come to people, even its owners. If someone could just get a definitive sighting...
2022-8-29
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Mmh ... it's seems now a drone with an infrared camera would come in handy, like in fawn rescue.
2022-8-29
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Drone Jockey Posted at 8-29 09:25
Mmh ... it's seems now a drone with an infrared camera would come in handy, like in fawn rescue.

Sadly, I located the dog late Tuesday afternoon, but she had already passed away. A heartbreaking, needless tragedy that could have been prevented (not anything related to the no-fly zone thing).

Yes, a drone with an IR camera would have located this poor dog two weeks ago. We're holding a fundraiser for the non-profit group who tried so hard to save her to obtain one.

FWIW, the SMS confirmation thing is working again on the DJI no-fly registration site.
2022-9-2
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Too bad ... wouldn't it have been possible to rent an IR drone?

PS: But I fear, for such a drone you would also need a pilot licence? In Germany, that's the case.
2022-9-2
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Drone Jockey Posted at 9-2 12:21
Too bad ... wouldn't it have been possible to rent an IR drone?

PS: But I fear, for such a drone you would also need a pilot licence? In Germany, that's the case.

I did a quick Google search for drone rentals or drone companies in the area but came up empty handed.

I was out of town and by the time I got involved the dog was already missing for eight days, in a harsh environment with no fresh water. A lot of things went wrong and things that should been done weren't done.

If this had been my dog, I would have moved heaven and earth to buy or rent an IR capable drone or find someone who had one as soon as the dog was lost.  I can't see why you'd need a license to operate a drone with an IR camera. If you fly commercially I believe you need a license in the US. But frankly, if my dog's life depended on it, I wouldn't give a damn about not having a license.
2022-9-2
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

In Germany we also have drone pilots, who do fawn rescue for free, just to save these poor animals, who often get killed by harvesters. And we have websites to find those helpful hands.

I bet some of those pilots would also help with lost dogs or cats. But for sure, you won't find those helpful guys all over Germany ... some regions might be missing.

We also have renting services for drones and cameras, but I'm not sure, if they also have IR drones / cameras.

Regarding the license ... it's not a matter of the camera, but the drone weight and where you want to use it. The keyword is EU drone regulations. And yes for sure, pros using IR equipment usually have a license. I just thought, if you don't have a license and want to rent such a drone, you are pretty likely not allowed to fly it everywhere. And illegal flights can cost you up to 50.000€ penalty fee.

I guess, in the US it's similar.
2022-9-2
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Drone Jockey Posted at 9-2 13:31
In Germany we also have drone pilots, who do fawn rescue for free, just to save these poor animals, who often get killed by harvesters. And we have websites to find those helpful hands.

I bet some of those pilots would also help with lost dogs or cats. But for sure, you won't find those helpful guys all over Germany ... some regions might be missing.

I honestly don't know. I think you need a license if you fly commercially (ie for money). You don't need a license to fly in restricted airspace. At least, some of them.

Part of the area I was searching was in a restricted zone that overlaid one of the local airport's runways. But it was a simple matter to get an authorization code from DJI's web site (once it was working) to self-unlock that area. This is a very small regional airport though, with no commercial traffic. You may need proof of a license to fly in areas with more traffic.

You could be right though that it might be difficult to rent an expensive IR drone without having a license.
2022-9-2
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

It seems, the drone regulations in the US and the EU are a bit different. In the US for example you only have one pilot license, as far as I know. In the EU we have two.

One (the smaller A1/A3) is mainly for recreational flying, the other (bigger A3) mainly for commercial flights. But finally it doesn't really matter, if you fly commercially or not, because the main factor, if you need a license and which one, is the weight of the drone ... if the drone weights more than 250g, you'll need at least the "small license".

But even recreational pilots can get the bigger license, if they want and have learned for it. This allows you to enjoy some advantages. On the other hand every commercial flight requires a pilot license.

But the EU drone regulations are so complex, that some people fly illegally without knowing ... and some people just don't care. Fact is, if you get caught flying illegally, the penalty fees can really shock.
2022-9-2
Use props
dcaton
lvl.3
United States

Drone Jockey Posted at 9-2 22:39
It seems, the drone regulations in the US and the EU are a bit different. In the US for example you only have one pilot license, as far as I know. In the EU we have two.

One (the smaller A1/A3) is mainly for recreational flying, the other (bigger A3) mainly for commercial flights. But finally it doesn't really matter, if you fly commercially or not, because the main factor, if you need a license and which one, is the weight of the drone ... if the drone weights more than 250g, you'll need at least the "small license".

I think there's probably some value in getting a license in the US even for a hobbyist pilot, for the additional education you'd gain from it. Maybe someday when I have free time, I might look into it.
2022-9-3
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

dcaton Posted at 9-3 09:14
I think there's probably some value in getting a license in the US even for a hobbyist pilot, for the additional education you'd gain from it. Maybe someday when I have free time, I might look into it.

The certification itself might not be needed for most private pilots (depends on the country and drone used), but it makes sense to check the regulations, especially because they will become more strict over time, I guess.

A further interesting topic is Remote ID ... they are trying to observe every pilot.

The more you know, the less risk of bad surprises ;-)
2022-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules