Sdk and Third party apps for Mavic mini 3 pro?
12Next >
11516 41 2022-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cyrilp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14465 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi,

is there any update regarding the Sdk and Third party apps for Mavic mini 3 pro?

I'm really frustrated that the mavic mini 3 pro doens't work with third party apps, i need them for photogrammetry.

yours,
Cyril

2022-8-29
Use props
Viralsaber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141070 ft
United States

I agree +1
2022-8-29
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

Me too ... I'm also interested in photogrammetry and especially land surveying too.
2022-8-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Cant work out why anyone would use a Mini 3 for photogrammetry.  Lens distortion, image artefacts, lack of waypoint mode etc.  Wrong tool for the job.

I wouldn't expect the SDK any time soon, the Mavic 3 has been out near a year and still has no SDK, no third party Apps.  DJI really dont seem interested.
2022-8-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From - https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en- ... mer-level-aircraft-

The MSDK is gradually prioritising to the enterprise level aircraft, the priority level of product from high to low is enterprise level aircraft > consumer level aircraft > hanheld product.

There is no plan to support Mini 3 Pro in 2022.
There is no plan to support Mavic 3 consumer level series in 2022.

Also moving forward the SDK will only be updated for Android.
2022-8-29
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Kindly please refer to the response of DAFlys on post #6 also we will forward this suggestion of yours to our designated team for follow-up. Thank you for your understanding and support!
2022-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Certainly looks like DJI are trying product and market differentiation purely due to software limitations.  

It may well be the Mavic 2 Pro was the last of the fully capable consumer drones around and from this point forward if you want 3rd party apps, automatic flight etc you need to pay for enterprise.
2022-8-30
Use props
djiuser_dCla1RZXVIi2
lvl.1
Germany

If DJI does not intend provide API support for the mini 3 Pro, then the name is definitely misleading.  With any DJI drone labeled „Pro“  I‘d definitely expect API support.
I just got one and was not aware there is no API support -> I‘m deeply disappointed I have to say.
2022-9-3
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

djiuser_dCla1RZXVIi2 Posted at 9-3 12:06
If DJI does not intend provide API support for the mini 3 Pro, then the name is definitely misleading.  With any DJI drone labeled „Pro“  I‘d definitely expect API support.
I just got one and was not aware there is no API support -> I‘m deeply disappointed I have to say.

Yes, the Mini 3 is definitely not a PRO drone :-(
2022-9-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree, at least with the Phantom 4 PRO, you get extra sensors, with this one you just get ''some'' sensors, if there were side sensors then perhaps you could call it semi Pro, it would need to have a 1" sensor and 360 sensing to be called a Pro in my book. Even just adding the SDK would help a long way to live up to its title.
2022-9-3
Use props
djiuser_u3Och3NThqwm
lvl.1

United States

please make this possible soon. I'm trying to use this "pro" drone for photogrammetry, compositing, etc.
2022-9-28
Use props
DataSphinx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 809426 ft
  • >>>
Curaçao

As I do "pre-planned flights" that have to be repeated over time I really need to have 3rd party apps to be able to work with my m3p.

Or does dji intent to bring that feature in?
2022-10-9
Use props
DataSphinx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 809426 ft
  • >>>
Curaçao

As I do "pre-planned flights" that have to be repeated over time I really need to have 3rd party apps to be able to work with my m3p.

Or does dji intent to bring that feature in?
2022-10-9
Use props
d-pilot
lvl.1

Greece

Hello DJI,
SDK is an integral part of "PRO" drones. Even the entry level ones. Not all pilots, and especially beginning ones, do not have tons of cash in their pockets to start off with the higher level drones. Don't leave us hanging!  
2022-10-26
Use props
djiuser_DI8xBMSFKN7k
New
Flight distance : 440 ft
United States

I would definitely like 3rd party app support for the Mini 3 Pro.  Like others have said, the word Pro is in the name.  I also made the mistake of purchasing this drone with the misunderstanding that it could or would eventually receive 3rd party app support for photogrammetry.  
2022-11-9
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

It was clear from day 1, that the Mini3pro will NOT get any SDK/3rd party support.
So constant crying will not help.

No, I am no DJI fanboy and it took me some time to accept this DJI-decision, before I decided to buy a  M3P.
2022-11-10
Use props
djiuser_YxBudLLkjjwH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6240 ft
United States

UweE Posted at 11-10 03:47
It was clear from day 1, that the Mini3pro will NOT get any SDK/3rd party support.
So constant crying will not help.

• how was this made clear?
  • Constant complaining about a product a consumer purchased should inspire the manufacturer to atleast provide an answer to consumers who have spent their hard earned money on their product.
  • It being marketed as a pro-level product should provide the features of a pro-level drone.
  • Definitely sound a DJI bootlicker, why would you not also be for allowing third-party apps to be supported for the drone and not be locked down? If you purchased the product you should be able to do any and everything you wish to it as long as you are comfortable with those consquences.
  • Most probably would be fine if DJI allowed for SDK/3rd party support with a disclamier that if any issues/crashes arise due to third party apps then the warranty would be void.
2022-11-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_YxBudLLkjjwH Posted at 11-16 04:35
  • how was this made clear?
  • Constant complaining about a product a consumer purchased should inspire the manufacturer to atleast provide an answer to consumers who have spent their hard earned money on their product.
  • It being marketed as a pro-level product should provide the features of a pro-level drone.

• lots of good questions here but can you provide a link to the marketing by djii that promoted this as a pro-level drone?  i kinda thought of it as close to a play toy or something to just fly around and have fun with taking a few pictures here or there but i guess some people go by the "name" of the product or the "price" huh?
    2022-11-16
    Use props
    djiuser_YxBudLLkjjwH
    lvl.2
    United States

The Saint Posted at 11-16 10:18
    lots of good questions here but can you provide a link to the marketing by djii that promoted this as a pro-level drone?  i kinda thought of it as close to a play toy or something to just fly around and have fun with taking a few pictures here or there but i guess some people go by the "name" of the product or the "price" huh?
    Why do you seem like you’re advocating for misleading labels and pricing by manufacturers? By calling a product pro and pricing it as such is misleading to consumers if it is not in fact “pro”. Further, by locking down the product so you cannot use third party features and addons as android was originally designed for, are we really owning this product? As Dji locks down the software to limit it so that you’ll need to purchase more expensive equipment.  Toys are not called “pro” products. Again, how was it made clear by DJI prior to releasing the mini 3 “pro” that third party integration wouldn’t be allowed?
    2022-11-16
    Use props
    The Saint
    First Officer
    • >>>
    United States

djiuser_YxBudLLkjjwH Posted at 11-16 13:31
    Why do you seem like you’re advocating for misleading labels and pricing by manufacturers? By calling a product pro and pricing it as such is misleading to consumers if it is not in fact “pro”. Further, by locking down the product so you cannot use third party features and addons as android was originally designed for, are we really owning this product? As Dji locks down the software to limit it so that you’ll need to purchase more expensive equipment.  Toys are not called “pro” products. Again, how was it made clear by DJI prior to releasing the mini 3 “pro” that third party integration wouldn’t be allowed?

all i asked for is a link.  not advocating anything.  no disrespect but your posts are a bit bizarre.

2022-11-16
    Use props
    djiuser_YxBudLLkjjwH
    lvl.2
    United States

The Saint Posted at 11-16 14:01
    all i asked for is a link.  not advocating anything.  no disrespect but your posts are a bit bizarre.

3FB15956-C78F-45F9-97D6-2FBF2B0E5A0F.jpeg
    2022-11-16
    Use props
    The Saint
    First Officer
    • >>>
    United States

i just don't see where that screams sdk, waypoints, unlocked sw, etc.

if anyone says they saw this link and thought they would get those things....that's weak.

when you buy the iphone 14 pro over the iphone 14, what do you get?  something i think dji believes they are more like apple than google.   anyway, it's 2022 and things are changing.....
    2022-11-16
    Use props
    djiuser_YxBudLLkjjwH
    lvl.2
    United States

The Saint Posted at 11-16 15:31
    i just don't see where that screams sdk, waypoints, unlocked sw, etc.

if anyone says they saw this link and thought they would get those things....that's weak.

I agree there. With your first point, it's quite a stretch.
    The analogy is weak though. Because phones are not typically, actively used to create professional work. MacBook Air/MacBook Pro would be a better one. If apple came out with a MacBook Pro and I was unable to render, edit photos, videos, code, the list goes on. They should not call it a MacBook Pro. like-wise with the drone.
    Drones are used to create and deliver professional work. Don't call it pro, if it's locked down to limit it so that you will have to buy more expensive equipment, so that the pro model cannot do pro related work.
    2022-11-17
    Use props
    Bashy
    Captain
    Flight distance : 2354357 ft
    • >>>
    United Kingdom

The thing is, there is an argument here, this is the Pro version of the Mini range, but that's all, so it is to be expected that it would at the very least continue with the same or better features as its predecessor's.

On the other hand, this is not a professional drone, you're getting hung on the word or term, Pro, like i said, it is just the Pro version for the Mini range, i.e. sensors etc, that is all, it does not mean that it is a drone for professionals, but that's not to say that it cannot be used in that way. Stop getting hung up on the word or terminology. You still have an argument for the SDK / 3rd party apps though as the other Minis have this so it was to be expected
    2022-11-17
    Use props
    FL_Flyer
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 810594 ft
    United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-29 09:37
    Cant work out why anyone would use a Mini 3 for photogrammetry.  Lens distortion, image artefacts, lack of waypoint mode etc.  Wrong tool for the job.

I wouldn't expect the SDK any time soon, the Mavic 3 has been out near a year and still has no SDK, no third party Apps.  DJI really dont seem interested.

Well said!
    2022-11-17
    Use props
    bret0622
    lvl.1

United Kingdom

I hear all the time the question, why people want to do photogrammetry with the DJI mini 3 pro, and why they don't use a more professional one (I agree by the way with the previous members who are questioning the PRO in the name of DJI Mini 3 pro...).
    The answer is simple: because the new drone regulation in Europe and also in UK let you to fly in urban environment the sub 250g drones without any special permission. So just a suggestion for the sales department at DJI: if you want to make more money you should rename the Mini 3 pro to Mini 3 for the consumer buyers, and you should make a more expensive Mini 3 pro (REAL PRO) with properly working SDK for the business buyers. I think for a lot people and company not the price but the weight what matters...
    2022-11-20
    Use props
    d-pilot
    lvl.1

Greece

Here's a petition, don't know if it'll do anything, but I guess we got nothing to lose.

https://chng.it/X66cwFJG2s
    2022-11-24
    Use props
    Lieutenant
    lvl.4
    Australia

d-pilot Posted at 11-24 02:56
    Here's a petition, don't know if it'll do anything, but I guess we got nothing to lose.

https://chng.it/X66cwFJG2s

Just a thought :
    I wonder if any of the mini 3 pro content creators on youtube would be interested in promoting this petition.
    2022-11-27
    Use props
    d-pilot
    lvl.1

Greece

Lieutenant Posted at 11-27 17:18
    Just a thought :
    I wonder if any of the mini 3 pro content creators on youtube would be interested in promoting this petition.

That is a great thought. Maybe they can "convince" DJI to put more manpower into their software development team, that seems to be lacking manpower. But I find it very annoying that they release a product, having "Pro" in the name which obviously - and at that price point - is a "Prosumer" Drone, and not have an SDK ready on the first day. Really, I am a bit tired of "Banana Products" ripening at the hands of the customers (who have paid full price for the product).

2022-11-29
    Use props
    agrajag
    lvl.1
    Germany

DAFlys Posted at 8-29 23:58
    From - https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en-us/articles/8818033368857-What-is-the-plan-for-the-consumer-level-aircraft-

The MSDK is gradually prioritising to the enterprise level aircraft, the priority level of product from high to low is enterprise level aircraft > consumer level aircraft > hanheld product.

There was another announcement before saying it will be supported. You still find the original text quoted in another post:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-265443-1-1.html

Then DJI edited the original post with the announcement to say there are no plans to support it.

( just to mention with the current praxis of DJI to modify posts without marking as it is comfortable : if that cite post „disappears“ too, screenshots of the whole story will be made available in other drone forums. I‘d highly appreciate a sincere and professional communication, instead of just put statements out like „It was never said by DJI that…“ )
    2022-12-10
    Use props
    Nerdworld
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 645144 ft
    • >>>
    Germany

RE: Sdk and Third party apps for Mavic mini 3 pro?

gnirtS Posted at 8-29 09:37

Legal reasons, for example. Or is there a "DJI Mini 3 Pro Ultra+" with 249g than CAN do photogrammetry?
    2022-12-10
    Use props
    gnirtS
    First Officer
    United Kingdom

Sub 250 is handy for that but the Mini 3 is wholly unsuited to photogrammetry or ortho.  The rolling shutter alone combined with with low MTF means its pretty poor and always will be.

Suspect their goal is enterprise for photogrammetry and those will have commercial permissions for area overflight so the weight isnt a factor.
    2022-12-10
    Use props
    Acerodon
    lvl.1

Germany

@gnirtS

Do you have a suitable alternative in case you have to stick to the <250g ?

BTW Push for the SDK  
    2023-1-11
    Use props
    Pins
    lvl.1

Italy

Hanno rilasciato sdk per il mini 2 quindi non trovo il motivo per il quale non devono rilasciarlo per il 3 Pro che ha caratteristiche molto più alte
    2023-1-11
    Use props
    Mini Harley
    New

Canada

I’m just a photo amateur who loves filming with drones. Since I don’t have years of professional experience flying drones, I just want results of what my creative mind comes up with.  Third party apps like Dronelink, Litchi or Maven provide me with ease of successfully obtaining  the results I want with waypoints, cablecam, spiral and so much more which the DJI Fly app does not  even come close to offering multiple automated flight features. From what I read above, DJI expects people to Buy bigger and better..   I have a spoiler alert for DJI.   I currently have a Mavic Mini and would be ripe to upgrade to Mini 3 Pro but if I can’t get any 3rd party apps to automate flights, then I have no interest in upgrading the hardware.  I have no interest in buying a 250gr + drone as I have no interest in obtain a permit & registering. It’s a hobby for me, not a profession.   If I was DJI marketing chief, I would ensure the SDK be released ASAP to 3 rd party developers so beginners can be encouraged to fly and upgrade hardware year after year.  I’m sure many beginners buy a drone, crash it or don’t obtain smooth results and as a result get discouraged, hence they rarely use it and of course will certainly not buy drone related products again.  If Apple sold phones and you could only use Apple apps and no App Store, would you upgrade your i-phone year after year?  Just a thought.
    2023-1-22
    Use props
    gnirtS
    First Officer
    United Kingdom

I was a day or so away from ordering a Mavic 3 Cine as like most people assumed the SDK would be soon (and DJI said it was on the roadmap).  As it was i narrowly escaped wasting a LOT of money and still use my Mavic 2 Pro as its more featured due to an SDK.

(Apple is a very bad example by the way - the force everything to go through their own tightly controlled app store, no app installs outside that, no 3rd party stores and incredible restrictive.  Apple is very similar to DJI in business practices and lockins).
    2023-1-22
    Use props
    The Saint
    First Officer
    • >>>
    United States

Mini Harley Posted at 1-22 07:41
    I’m just a photo amateur who loves filming with drones. Since I don’t have years of professional experience flying drones, I just want results of what my creative mind comes up with.  Third party apps like Dronelink, Litchi or Maven provide me with ease of successfully obtaining  the results I want with waypoints, cablecam, spiral and so much more which the DJI Fly app does not  even come close to offering multiple automated flight features. From what I read above, DJI expects people to Buy bigger and better..   I have a spoiler alert for DJI.   I currently have a Mavic Mini and would be ripe to upgrade to Mini 3 Pro but if I can’t get any 3rd party apps to automate flights, then I have no interest in upgrading the hardware.  I have no interest in buying a 250gr + drone as I have no interest in obtain a permit & registering. It’s a hobby for me, not a profession.   If I was DJI marketing chief, I would ensure the SDK be released ASAP to 3 rd party developers so beginners can be encouraged to fly and upgrade hardware year after year.  I’m sure many beginners buy a drone, crash it or don’t obtain smooth results and as a result get discouraged, hence they rarely use it and of course will certainly not buy drone related products again.  If Apple sold phones and you could only use Apple apps and no App Store, would you upgrade your i-phone year after year?  Just a thought.

thousands of m3p yt videos would prove you wrong.  the m3p is very capable as it is...for everyone, beginner or not.  what we have here is an amateur who doesn't have the skills to make stock m3p work for him and is begging the cmo who has no control to release a kit so somebody else can improve dji's best sub250 drone.  if you use all those 3rd party apps, youre not an "amateur", why not post your superior example here, we would love to see how much better your drone can perform when you use dronelink or litchi or maven.  just post the link to a couple of yt videos please.

no disrespect but if you are in teh usa and you're claiming you need to sub250 in order to forgo permits and registrations and restrictions and other govt issue, that's a bit disingenuous.
    2023-1-22
    Use props
    ScottArt
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 54032 ft
    United States

+1 for the SDK for Mini 3 Pro!  That kind of flexibility is what I was looking for when I bought it, knowing that it hadn't been released yet, but was typical in DJI roadmaps.
    2023-1-25
    Use props
    gnirtS
    First Officer
    United Kingdom

If you're in Europe without jumping through a *lot* of very expensive hoops you need a <250g to fly over people and built up areas.
    So for photogrammetry and ortho mapping the Mini *would* be ideal (in fact the Mini 2 is as it has sdk).

Doing it manually really isnt an option.  Manually flying for an ortho at a set speed and taking 100s or 1000s images at the exact time to get the correct overlap will be incredibly time consuming. Same goes for any decent size object for photogrammetry.

2023-1-25
    Use props
    gnirtS
    First Officer
    United Kingdom

There's a glimmer of hope today:-
    https://sdk-forum.dji.net/hc/en-us/articles/8818033368857

We will support Mini 3 Pro and Mini 3 on earily Q2, 2023 in MSDK v5.3.0.
        There is no plan to support Mavic 3, Mavic 3 Cine and Mavic 3 Classic currently.
        There is no plan to support DJI Avata currently.

So in theory in the next 3-4 months.

BUT remember it was on this list before and they removed it.
    2023-2-3
    Use props
    12Next >
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules