P3 Compass Error, Exit P-GPS Mode while flying
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scott
lvl.3

United States

I got an error that I've never seen before while flying the Phantom 3 Pro today.  I updated the firmware and App a few days ago when it was released and I've flown about 6-7 times prior (after upgrading the firmware and DJI Go App) without any problems.  
Today while flying the gimbal got floppy for a second and then I got an error in the DJI Go app saying "Compass Error, Exit P-GPS mode" and had to fly back in Atti mode.  I toggled the modes on the controller from P to Atti mode to see if I could get it to reset and it did not reset until it was almost all the way back home.  No crash or damage but it was strange because I have never seen that error before.  I had calibrated the compass in the same place just a couple flights prrior and it worked perfectly prior to that flight.  I flew again from the same location and had no other issues.  

Any ideas?  

Thanks,
Scott

My Youtube Channel
2015-8-7
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thats actually cool that the app instructed you on what to do during the mishap.  
2015-8-7
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would do cold IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.  Then when you go out and fly redo your compass calibration.  
2015-8-7
Use props
scott
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-8 11:31
I would do cold IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.  Then when you go out and fly redo ...

Thanks for your advice.  After the upgrade to the firmware a few days ago, I have not done a IMU calibration.  Perhaps that would have made a difference in this case.  

I'll do a cold IMU re-cal tonight.

Thanks again,
Scott
2015-8-7
Use props
mrnookie
New

United Kingdom

I also recently installed the new firmware and I am having the same issues. What irritates me with these firmware updates, DJI have had months to produce a glitch free piece of software that should have been tried and tested prior to being offered to their customers. Phantoms are expensive and therefore the support and updates should be of a high standard. Let us hope that they sort this issue out asap. Not happy......
2015-8-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

mrnookie Posted at 2015-8-13 02:13
I also recently installed the new firmware and I am having the same issues. What irritates me with t ...

I have beta tested for Adobe for years. They are very demanding about participation if they sign you up. And you have to hammer that software for months and months - and the beta pool is rather large. Even with all the testing and tweaks that go into the software prior to launch, there are still multiple problems that are uncovered after the fact. I think it's a bit lofty to expect perfection on day one. And I don't mean that to come across as condescending. What a lot of people do that don't trust a new release, is wait until others uncover the many mysteries that go with a new software/FW release.

-Brad
2015-8-12
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

I too had this same message, this is the first time.
However I was flying in a harbour full of oil rig support ships, which looked fantastic, but after my usual compass calibration, and check of all my sensors on the ground, I took off, checked the response to L R F
R inputs, when I was over the water and within 50m of the ships I got the error and a quite rapid drift to my right.  I went immediately to Atti mode, which had no effect.  When I turned it round 180 degrees it continued to drift to my right, which was now it's left.
I flew it back in Atti mode, and when overhead it stopped drifting.
I did not fit there again.  I guess the 1000 s of tons of ferrous metal just freaked out the compass.
So thanks for all the forum members who advised to practice Atti mode, I did, and P3 is safe.  90 flights now!
2015-8-12
Use props
caiken9621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499793 ft
United States

I had the same compass error yesterday with my P3A.  It was the second time I'd flown since doing the current update, which went smooth.  On the previous 2 updates I did not do an IMU Calibration and never had a problem.  After this one I decided I should take everyone's advice and did the IMU calibration before doing the gimbal calibration and then compass calibration before flying.  I did not see this problem on the first flight (2 Batteries) but I didn't get the bird cold enough the first time so warm up was a little long.  I decided to chill it down a little more this time.  2nd IMU Calibration solved the warm up problem but then started seeing the compass error.  I guess I'll try the IMU calibration once again along with the gimbal calibration and compass calibration just before I fly it.  
2015-8-12
Use props
kairkyo161
lvl.2

United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-8-13 02:54
I too had this same message, this is the first time.
However I was flying in a harbour full of oil r ...

larger ships like oil tankers will have their own radar and radio systems. both witch are throwing out EM that will mess with your compass
2015-8-13
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Btw, it is good reaction of drone, it is better if it get ATTI mode than make uncontrolled fly away caused by bad compass indications.
2015-8-13
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

I had that happen once on the 1.1.9 fw right after I got the thing. I haven't seen it again since. I chalked it up as a fluke.
2015-8-13
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

Im get 20flyes with P3P and now get errors in compass.
I travel yesterday about 35km in another place to fly and powered all equipments on, just like before and tells me that i should do compass calibration. So, i made it just like before and the right way.

Compass says that its normal, and there is need for calibration for safe fly. But in middle top screen says in green "safe to fly", so i fly and worked well.
Later evening i travel back to home, and tested to fly and all worked good but when i was flying back home, it says compass error. I hit RTH and it return succesfully back in home.

Today, i make IMU calibration, and gimball calibration in first start today. Then i go outside and ready to make new compass calibration. Made it just like all videos is telling, and gives me "safe to fly" butt also that yellow (!) mark in compass line to telling you should make compass calibration to safe fly.
All firmwares is the newest.
So, if there something what i do wrong, or is it just replacement part? New landing gears include new compass? That avoid warrantly if i replace that my self?
2015-8-16
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

Now i tested more and see that is only in samsung issue, with ipad i dont get that (!) mark.
Butt the plane is drifting quite badly. In FPV video, you can see that the plane is running an little sideways. If go about 10m forward, it runs about 1meter right too.
Any ideas for that?
2015-8-16
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

EMF's have a lot to do with the compass. although you may calibrate it where you are taking off from (should state 1500 +-100 in the sensor read out) that does not mean that the compass is calibrated to the areas that you are flying over. environmental conditions will affect the compass as rightly said above - a proper site survey should be carried out with anticipation of compass errors happening in these areas. if you haven't already, it is good practice to create an Ops Manual - UK based pilots wanting to use their SUAS commercially require a flying qualification before applying for their permissions for aerial work (PFAW).

there is no excuse for not having a set of emergency procedures learnt cold in case something happens...
2015-8-16
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

Yeah, just wondering why that error comes, because i have now 22flight, and 21 of all flights is in same place without problems. Today tested with ipad and no errors but now drifting. I  try compass calibration again if that helps.

That value is about 1500-1600 all the time, so that means its ok.
2015-8-16
Use props
jason.c.mclemor
lvl.1

United States

New P3 mid flight compass error firmware 1.1.9 & 1.3.20, RC GL300B

My maiden flight - fully charged RC and P3 battery, install Dji go app on Ipad air 2 and Nexus 7 kitkat 4.4.4, IMU calibration (made sure aircraft was cold), gimbal calibration and compass calibration.  Flight status (Safe to fly GPS) set home position and beginner mode. Auto takeoff hover 10 ft yaw left to right then notice a flight status red error in Dji app (compass error, exit P-GPS Mode) enters P-OPTI mode, 60 seconds later or so returns back to P-GPS 60 seconds later compass error returns this continuously happens.

I decided to upgrade to 1.2.6, updated aircraft with no issues, however, I was unable to upgrade my RC GL300B via USB or via SD drive plugging into the aircraft gimbal, after attempting to upgrade my RC I read that RC GL300B only supports  upgrading via the Dji Go app, so I left RC on 1.1.9, re calibrated IMU, gimbal and compass test flight was successful with no compass errors, after a successful day of flying i decided to upgrade to 1.3.20 since I was not comfortable with my RC on different firmware then aircraft.

I successfully upgraded aircraft 1.3.20 followed by upgrading my RC via the Dji app to 1.3.20 using Nexus 7, performed all collaboration, flight test resulted  to my surprise the same behavior on 1.1.9 mid flight compass errors, I read that 1.3.20 supports downgrading to previous firmware, I downgraded the aircraft back to 1.2.6 successfully, however, I’m unable to downgrade my RC since GL300B does not support usb firmware upgrades or downgrades for that matter. re calibrated aircraft, test flight results (aircraft 1.2.6, RC 1.3.20) I continue to get mid flight compass errors, I’ve tested with my Nexus 7 and iPad air 2 with the same results.

Does anyone know of away to downgrade an RC GL300B without using the Dji App?

I did open a ticket with support but no response as of yet.
2015-8-17
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

And about that my prolem, now over 5flights with ipad and no errors. Maybe its somekind issue with android app or something....
2015-8-19
Use props
VegasJM
lvl.1

United States

sprawl Posted at 2015-8-19 16:54
And about that my prolem, now over 5flights with ipad and no errors. Maybe its somekind issue with a ...

I get the compass error on my Ipad Air 2 as well, after further testing I found the compass error occurs when I face the aircraft "West" causing the flight mode to switch to P-OPTI,  once I turn the aircraft to the North, South or East flight mode switches back to P-GPS compass error clears until I turn the aircraft back to the West.

I've performed IMU calibrations, gimbal and compass. What's strange when I perform a compass calibration I never get any errors. I'm puzzled and DJi support is no help, I guess I need to send it back for an exchange.

What firmware release is your IPAD on?

RC 1.3.20
P3 1.3.20
Nexus 7
Ipad air 2

2015-8-19
Use props
RozBujnik
lvl.2

Canada

Today when  I had the Compass Error mid flight I hit the RTH out of annoyance. The bird returned, live picture all the way, with app showing the error until the bird appeared directly above me.  Go figure.
2015-8-19
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

sprawl Posted at 2015-8-16 22:30
Yeah, just wondering why that error comes, because i have now 22flight, and 21 of all flights is in  ...

I'm in the Arctic and took my P3A to get some great pics.  My first flight after calibrating the compass I got a compass error.  Flew ATTI for a bit then tried again to fly  GPS. This time got compass error as well as strong electromagnetic  interference.  The area I'm in is loaded with ferrous rock and I'm to far north to have accurate compass orientation. A few things to consider when flying in northern climates.
2015-8-19
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

VegasJM Posted at 2015-8-20 07:00
I get the compass error on my Ipad Air 2 as well, after further testing I found the compass error  ...

I wouldn't risk that; you won't see it for at least three months if you send it to them. Since you have a predictable fix, I would just go with it, unless you have a second bird you can use.
2015-8-19
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

kalin2011 Posted at 2015-8-20 09:10
I'm in the Arctic and took my P3A to get some great pics.  My first flight after calibrating the c ...

how do you find flying in such cold conditions? what affect does the cold have on the aircraft?
2015-8-19
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

Skygod14 Posted at 2015-8-20 15:27
how do you find flying in such cold conditions? what affect does the cold have on the aircraft?

I'm 800 km north of the Arctic Circle and its 12c and sunny.   Won't want to be here in 2 months in -40c and 24hr. night.
2015-8-20
Use props
ArmoredRevenge
lvl.1

Canada

Same issue today, flew out over a real neat bridge hoping to get some cool video got about 1000 feet out then the go app triggered an alarm, saying there was a compass error my phantom began to list rapidly to the left, which i originally mistook as a crosswind in the valley, Horizontal control was lost and there were some rather large trees getting to close so i red lined the motors and ascended rather then waste the last seconds i had attempting a recovery i got high enough that i could navigate, error message and lag continued until i got about 100 feet away then system went green again.
2015-8-21
Use props
mustang05sc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38612 ft
Canada

VegasJM Posted at 2015-8-19 17:00
I get the compass error on my Ipad Air 2 as well, after further testing I found the compass error  ...

I have exactly the same problem since I upgraded the firmware on my P3A.
Leaves GPS mode into ATTI mode when I face the P3 west.
North, south and East are all stable in GPS mode connected to 16 - 18 satellites.
Calibration does not make a difference and firmly believe this is a firmware upgrade glitch.
Never ever had this issue until the upgraded firmware 1.3.20
So intimidated to fly now as we all know the expense related to the P3A or P3P.
Would love an answer or suggestion from DJI direct.
2015-8-30
Use props
kesamora80
lvl.1

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-8 11:31
I would do cold IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.  Then when you go out and fly redo ...

Have I little problem.... I just bought a phantom 3 standard... Did update and everything was just fine.. See the gimbal little tilt and diced to do I IMU calibration... The IMU calibration was good no problem... After IMU calibration the auto gimbal calibration won't do nothing is telling me can do no calibration... And now since the IMU calibration and having problems with gps... Before I start I always do compass calibration... Everything goes fine... But when I'm in the air.. Mid air... I got... Compass error exit gps mode... And only happens for like 15 sec. And go back to gps.. I don't know how to fix it... Any help pls {:4_177:}{:4_177:}
2016-8-8
Use props
rightflightsyst
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133222 ft

I just had the same issue as the others here, I was in an open field, and staying clear of power lines to the south of me, and set the p3s facing west. lifted off, made an attempt to do point of interest on myself. The copter flew a quarter of a circle and proceeded to speed west, then south.  Lost LOS but eventually got it down using video feed to find the ground.  It landed unharmed but I now don't trust the thing.  I've done IMU reset and compass reset, but it still randomly switches to atty mode, really annoying.  Here are two logs of two separate occasions that its done this:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/0DWYW64KVOPOVVOBGLC3/
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/KZ8EJIUJS4ZH4EHX18PJ/

Ill give you that the second one that was on top of a carpark, which is basically a rebar cage covered in concrete, so there's that. But the first one was in an open field and far enough away from powerlines, i'd think, although I ended up bringing it down safely underneath them.
Yaw errors and compass errors abound.  I've had it for less than a week and now have no faith in its systems.  I'm sticking to my first quad, a Latrax Alias for now until I get some answers as to why it goes haywire.
2016-8-8
Use props
hkristia1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Just tried my brand new PH3 Pro with the same issue as described. I was wondering if anyone tried to "demagnitize" the compass as was done with the PH2? That is spinning around the compass module with a magnet? I will see if I can find a magnet and do that today, and then re-calibrate the compass and have a go... One ref: demagnitize
2016-9-10
Use props
hkristia1
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hkristia1@gmail Posted at 2016-9-10 14:51
Just tried my brand new PH3 Pro with the same issue as described. I was wondering if anyone tried to ...

Well, no luck. I demagnetized according to previous link and went to a field out in nowhere. Turned it on and as expected it was screaming compass error. Calibrtaed and had a go. After about 3minutes it's started to  complain, Exit-P mode bla,bla............... I have ordered a new compass (The complete set of legs actually) and will have a try with that. Then I will return it to sender. Very disappointed.. I have to add. I'm on FW_V01.08.0080 and latest GO app.
2016-9-10
Use props
cristobaldeleon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 212320 ft
Mexico

mines did the same thing for a lot of time ago.... until i decided to open up to see any problems... and voila, the gps molex connector was doing false contact... i fixed it.. and now i have flyed like 30 times w/o problems...
2016-9-29
Use props
Håkan K
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

hkristia1@gmail Posted at 2016-9-10 06:43
Well, no luck. I demagnetized according to previous link and went to a field out in nowhere. Turned it on and as expected it was screaming compass error. Calibrtaed and had a go. After about 3minutes it's started to  complain, Exit-P mode bla,bla............... I have ordered a new compass (The complete set of legs actually) and will have a try with that. Then I will return it to sender. Very disappointed.. I have to add. I'm on FW_V01.08.0080 and latest GO app.

For completeness sake. I did never attempt replacing the compass module (in the leg) I returned and purchased a new. From an older batch. (Delivered with much older FW). Working flawlessly up to now...
2017-1-22
Use props
Donnep
New

Australia

My p3 pro have compass error and it won't start, everytime i try to start it this will pop up
IMG_2279.PNG
2017-2-9
Use props
Donnep
New

Australia

It started when i replaced the body shell, i'm not sure if i damaged the compass. I tried calibrating the compass few times buy it failed, also tried calibrating imu but still wont work. Please help i'm a newbie, just got my p3 last december
2017-2-9
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I DID get this error message when I had FW 1.8 - 1.9.6  but havn't   since I changed to 1.10.9 FYI .....
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules