Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey DJI,.....  Ed, Bruce and Autumn

Respectfully, can we get the DJI Pilot App back please!  

Some of us do not need the media connectivity and your store options for flying the Inspire 1 or for that matter our Phantom Quads. I would like the ability to just manage the aircraft and settings without all the post video tools etc... .  Honestly, we know how to get to your store and the forum. We  do not need to have the Pilot (GO) app force all this stuff on us full time while shutting down the whole purpose of the app in the first place .....  flight controls, camera settings and map options.

Please join me and comment on this thread and show to DJI that we would like the Pilot App BACK as alterative option!

Thanks for listening.
Rich
2015-8-7
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

I echo your words.

R&D should be spending their time developing what has been originally promised - waypoints and PoI.

Social sharing comes easy in any OS platform (iOS and Android) and can be done at post.
IT IS NOT A PRIORITY.

We need the tools and reassurance to build confidence on this platform and achieve the results we are looking for, responsibly.
We need to feel 100% confident on this platform, and it's not going to happen by giving us resources to share and provide DJI with free marketing.

Stop targeting the I1 to teenagers.
2015-8-7
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

I agree, and yes you can if youre using an android device.
2015-8-7
Use props
mixmaven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1699081 ft
  • >>>
United States

Actually, just make it so the Go app can disabled all of those features.     
2015-8-7
Use props
patou72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3316614 ft
Switzerland

I'm with you...no need of this linked commercial social network stuff for flying.

-IMO the Pilot App and the "Instant share part" should be 2 Apps. For me it's a question of security and to have a stable platform exclusively dedicated for flying.

- You fly OR you share...but not both of them. DJI is praying safety and and this should be also a point to be instructed.
2015-8-8
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Rich- absolutely on target post. Skinny down to necessity and expand on function. Loose the fluff.
2015-8-8
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Rich,

I agree with your post and was thinking exactly the same when it first starts up explaining the different media connectivity functions.  It would be nice to just have the basic Pilot App to assist in the flying and recording of the media.  I don't use it for nothing else but the flying and managing the settings and monitoring flight data and telemetry whilst in flight.  All editing is done via a separate software.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully appreciative for DJI providing updates to firmware etc. and addressing all the little bugs we have experienced and even updating the look of the App, but we also want to fly the Inspire to its full potential and without unnecessary functions in the App for editing, media integration, web shop etc.  Lets have what we have been promised and waiting for since pre-order and delivery in January e.g  the Waypoints and auto flight functions in the App instead of the media connectivity.

On another note, it would be nice if DJI could release an instructions manual for the iOS App and Android App explaining all the functions and then perhaps update notices when a new update is released with new functions.  It is so annoying coming across a new function and trying to fathom out whats its for and how to use it  e.g Smart Go Home ??

Please DJI get back on track, back to basics and deliver the flying experience not the media experience.
2015-8-8
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

You can always downgrade your Apple app, (and probably Android) simply by retaining a copy of your .ipa file. It will be found in your trash after an upgrade. (Don't empty trash after upgrading until you remove the .ipa files. Then open iTunes with your device attached, delete the new app (you can always download again later), drag the old .ipa file into iTunes and resync your device.  That's how I still use 1.0.2
2015-8-8
Use props
keithh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22395 ft
United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-8-8 20:22
You can always downgrade your Apple app, (and probably Android) simply by retaining a copy of your . ...

Where is the 'trash' on an iPad?
2015-8-8
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I support your request, i don't need store, director, neither forum access, i just need Camera View and Settings, it use to much resources from the Ipad and its not necessary, i could use my computer for all that, hope DJI could give an alternate Light version of the DJI Go App.

Regards,

Leo
2015-8-8
Use props
keithh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22395 ft
United States

I agree with you, Rich. At least let us disable the parts we don't need/want!!
2015-8-8
Use props
marco
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1500794 ft
Austria

Hi Rich - I couldn't agree more!

To me it looks like DJI just hired some kid fresh from university with a degree in internet-marketing and now this guy annoys us with useless bells and whistles and abuses a flight-tool as a marketing instrument ;)
2015-8-8
Use props
nilsblix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-8-8 18:52
I have a towbar on my car.
It allows me to pull a trailer for when I need to carry more stuff than m ...

Spot on                     
2015-8-8
Use props
alan
lvl.2

United States

Agree. I wonder how many people use those features. For Instance, I can't imagine why I'd want to stream rough footage to Youtube. Maybe a few need to do this for some reason. I certainly don't want to shop for things while flying.  All that I want in the app is what is needed to fly the Inspire, review the videos and photos, and log the flight information.

I've been thinking about the camera app lately and it could be vastly improved by adding one feature... You should be able to click on any part of the screen while flying and have the camera track that object either in the center or at a place on the screen that you indicate.  Old cameras of mine could track a specific spot on a moving object to maintain focus and plenty of current cameras do facial recognition, smile detection, etc. DJI certainly understands this technology as it uses something similar for the downward facing camera.  And it alread has the ability for you to maually move the camera by dragging across teh screen.  So why not put a useful feature like that in the App instead of all this stuff that is extraneous for flying?

2015-8-8
Use props
Outlander0088
lvl.3

United States

I second, third, fourth, etc. etc. agree with your post Rich. It seems rather than "listening" to what the customer wants, DJI is implementing what they "think" the customer wants. However, if DJI would read this forum they would find out how wrong they are.
2015-8-8
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

Hey guys

Got my Inspire 1 a week ago - updated to the latest firmware then (1.2.1.06) as the App insisted on it.
Started learning the machine and Pilot App and used the weekend to check everything out and I was impressed.
The system performed well especially the automated functions (for peace of mind just in case of...) like "return to home" and "fail safe" functions on low battery etc. etc.  I tested it exhaustively.

Tuesday morning I left to do a job some 500km from home base with no 3G or Wi-Fi anywhere nearby.
That evening a firmware and App upgrade was "forced" on me (at the guest lodge I was staying - it has Wi-Fi)... actually now in retrospect, I'm very cross with myself for allowing the upgrade to happen.

The next morning I started working with the new stuff - it looked nice and flashy to start off with, but soon I got irritated...
  • IMU updating nearly every time I power on the Inspire, for no reason in my opinion... (not allowing auto take off). This happens between one power on and the next in more or less the same geographical position
  • Cannot update the location (not even manually) in the Flight Record, even though the maps load now that I have Wi-Fi - it just keeps on saying "Map Loading"
  • Setting "Home Point" manually not easily accomplised
  • "Return to Home" function seems to ignore the GPS position the Inspire departed from and just starts descending anywhere
  • I cannot find the "format" command for the SD card (it was super easy in the previous version of the App) - somehow the file system got corrupted and a warning pops up on screen.  It appears that the warning is not a link.

I flew uniturrupted trips of 10km and 11km at times - in one direction...
Flew successfully in winds steady at 8 to 10m/s and gusting up to 12m/s or more.
Managed to get the shots required by the land surveyor and the electrical engineer.
The "Flight Record" shows a Total Flight Time of 2hr 44min, Total Distance of 54 006m and Total Flights of 36 over 3 days - not bad even if I may say so myself.
Used the Charging Hub (3 batteries connected at any one time) and a deepcycle 12V battery with 500W inverter to charge batteries "on the fly"...

But the new App still sucks!

2015-8-8
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I just want to fly!!!!  I down load everything onto a computer and deal with it later as I see fit. I don't need or want any social media crap in the app. Why can't we just have a great flying machine instead of a mediocre flying social media outlet. I am seriously starting to question my decision to purchase this bird. I thought I was moving UP, but apparently the up has stopped and now it's starting a downhill run.
I LOVE the Inspire 1, But I'm loosing confidants in DJI's ability to provide the product I thought I bought. Had I known DJI was going to take this direction with the I1, I would NEVER have bought into this company's products. :@
2015-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-8-8 20:22
You can always downgrade your Apple app, (and probably Android) simply by retaining a copy of your . ...

Rbimd,
You make a very good point and actually you can get this file from your iTunes program before syncing it. Go to your PC under my documents open your music folder.  Now open the iTunes folder inside and you will see the mobile applications folder. All of your apps are kept inside this folder. Copy the .ipa and paste it somewhere that you would like to keep the backup.

The only problem with this is you do not benefit by any of the fixes that are released.

Rich
2015-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-8 19:55
Rich,

I agree with your post and was thinking exactly the same when it first starts up explaining t ...

Hello GB

I am so glad that I am not the only one that was shocked with the new GO app. You stated this much better than I. You are absolutely correct and many others are feeling that we have lost our Pilot tool for what it was intended,,,, Flying!!

Rich
2015-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Outlander0088 Posted at 2015-8-8 23:18
I second, third, fourth, etc. etc. agree with your post Rich. It seems rather than "listening" to wh ...

Agreed..... my friend.

All I can hope is they reconsider this GO app and let us have the Pilot app back with the features they said they would have ready this quarter. Where is our Automatic flight tools?

Rich
2015-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

PaulKerry Posted at 2015-8-8 18:52
I have a towbar on my car.
It allows me to pull a trailer for when I need to carry more stuff than m ...

Paul
This is so true!! Hopefully DJI will air-arc off the welded trailer of junk from this app.  
I love this statement

"Fix what's broken, provide what was promised and maybe THEN and ONLY THEN think about giving us some little extras as long as they're lightweight."
2015-8-8
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

We are not the only ones talking about this, look at this link.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... t-impressions.4741/
2015-8-8
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is being driven, IMHO, by unfounded valuation expectations. Adding social and sharing features to products, whether they make sense or not, is often rooted in an expectation that these features will make their product go viral and drive up sales, eyeballs, and in turn company valuation. Everyone wants to be the next Uber with a $50B valuation. They probably pitched this idea to investors they recently raised money from and now feel compelled to deliver on it.

Funny thing is, the editing and sharing features on the app are clumsy and difficult to learn and use, particularly on a mobile device. I find it to be far easier to capture video using DJI tools, but edit and share using a real computer with proper tools (like Adobe's) that have had decades of evolution and can produce great results. DJI is trying to innovate on two fronts right now - UAVs and video editing. They'd be better served sticking with what they are great at and partnering or acquiring on what they are not.
2015-8-8
Use props
Arie Klapwijk
New

Netherlands

Very nice tool. No complains. Update went well. Beatifull app.  Rich: We can better talk about what missing in the app than talk about all the option for other users.
2015-8-8
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
United States

keithh Posted at 2015-8-8 21:53
Where is the 'trash' on an iPad?

The trash is on the computer which you use to sync your iPad with iTunes
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-8-9 09:25
The trash is on the computer which you use to sync your iPad with iTunes

Im not an apple user but how exactly do you plug an ipad into a computer, is it even possible? they dont have any usb ports, lol!  Im sure most if not everyone is updating over a data connection.
2015-8-8
Use props
Adamastor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616079 ft

South Africa

Good morning...

Found something strange this morning in the new App.
When I log in from my iPad (I'm no Apple fan - this is my first product), it tells me there is already such user name.
It then promptly logs me in with my email name as the username.Needless to say I am recognized as a brand new user... and I cannot see my posts and relpies.
And signing out and logging back in does not change things either...

I go back to the PC and the login works fine.

What gives?
2015-8-8
Use props
the.abyssal.pla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 628392 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I don't want to be forced to be a DJI aerial photographer/videographer. Most of the footage and stills I produce on all my DJI aircraft will be down to my creativity as much as the drone technology. The creativity part IS MY IP and always will be otherwise how would I make a living?

At a time I'm trying to get to know my wonderful Inspire 1 DJI are dispensing major changes to the platform, some unannounced or wholly confusing like the GO App? What is it? Should I stop using Pilot App?

We need  a period of stability and not be having to install, load and re-test all the time!!!
2015-8-9
Use props
the.abyssal.pla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 628392 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. My videos and pics are my IP why would I want or need to give the to DJI Skypixel?  I buy drones to make money for myself and not aggrandise DJI. Get out of my life...
2015-8-9
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

I agree 100 percent
2015-8-9
Use props
Propslinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19633 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree,  give back Pilot app
2015-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hello Folks,

I do not come on this site to complain and bad mouth the DJI products as this would be counter productive being an owner of the Inspire 1. I believe this is a good place to share information and if something is broken, talk about it. It is pretty clear to me that Inspire 1 operator's are not happy with these changes to the DJI Go App. So far based on many other websites, the message speaks poorly for the new DJI GO bloatware App.

It would be nice if someone from DJI would comment and pass this information to DJI corporate. It would be nice if the customer voice could effect a change and bring back the Pilot App

Rich   
2015-8-9
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sure going to stay with my old app and glad I did not update yet.
2015-8-9
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Austria

Ever get the feeling Dji presses the mute button a lot?

2015-8-9
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 09:32
Im not an apple user but how exactly do you plug an ipad into a computer, is it even possible? the ...

On a Mac iPad, the charger port and USB connector are the same port.
2015-8-9
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

Fully Agree, get rid of al that unwanted, no pilot overload and commericial trash
It s a pilot app DJI !!!!!!!! keep it professional and stay focused on that...DJI ....!!!
2015-8-9
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-8-10 02:07
Ever get the feeling Dji presses the mute button a lot?

Yes, it sure seems like they do not want to open up and comment on this one.  

I wish they would at least forward our dislikes of the new App version to the corporate office to see if we can get someone to listen to our requests. We the customer would like another option and have the DJI Pilot App back to use with our Inspire 1.  !!

Rich
2015-8-9
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-8-10 03:40
On a Mac iPad, the charger port and USB connector are the same port.

Ah, of course, duh! lol, I was pretty tired when I asked that stupid question, thanks.
2015-8-9
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-8-10 00:59
Hello Folks,

I do not come on this site to complain and bad mouth the DJI products as this would be ...

I agree 100% about wanting the Pilot App back!!  I will be pushing this request up the chain of command to corporate.  
I will do what I can, Rich. Wish me luck!
Dave
2015-8-10
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I have all of the old software Rich I also have some new that is not out yet
2015-8-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now