Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 fly away and crash
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sscbulgaria
Flight distance : 214787 ft
Bulgaria

Today my phantom crashed. After take off and gain height, the bird rotates perpendicular, reach 23m/s speed and then fall off from 20m on the propellers. The camera was ripped off the gimbal, the battery was about 5m from the aircraft. Now the bird blinks green, red, yellow and can`t connect to remote. I can`t download DAT files. I can download only "DJIFlightRecord_2015-08-08_[16-30-21].txt" from my iPhone, via Itunes - https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... lU/view?usp=sharing
This is video from my iPhone`s screen The Phantom was with the latest firmware

Some pics

I have wrote to support, they told me to send the bird to download DAT files themselves. What you think, will DJI replace my Phantom?
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

I am sure they will if it was a manufacuting fault!!, however, if they find any changes you may have made to p3 or if the data shows you did a CSC inadvertently then im afraid you will be out of luck
i wish you the best
2015-8-8
Use props
sploodge
Captain
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like you took of before it had GPS and you can see its alternating between P-OPTI, P-GPS and P-ATTI. Looks like a bad compass calibration or a strong magnetic field at takeoff point to me..

Did you take off from the roof of a car?

Will they cover it.. Mmm..
2015-8-8
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

Are you sure you dont hit anything? I mean you were only at 26m and the buildings on that map looking pretty high, maybe an antenna on the roof or something? The GPS reception was very bad thats why it switched to atti all the time it seems. Between high buildings the GPS reception has sometimes problems and switch to Atti which means it will glide with the wind direction. Windspeed in sofia was like 9-10 km/h from the east which is probably why the quad on that map was pushed to the west. Can you upload the video?
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i believe spoodge is right, keeps jumping modes right at take off, good luck man
2015-8-8
Use props
sscbulgaria
Bulgaria

No, I didn`t hit anything. The was now wind. I always what for a good GPS signal. In this flight I had 15 satellites. The bird rotates with the propeller to the west, and the camera pointing east. Like a airplane.
2015-8-8
Use props
sscbulgaria
Bulgaria

I have download log file. The are uploaded here - DAT file, converted CSV file and txt file prom my phone. - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7db3qacKw4hfm5NMFRrTS10Tm9EMTJqRDJVT2pLRG56Zng3MjVsbmhzM0dVVk42RDJUNm8

This is flight route

http://www.flightreplay.com/share/track/crash-2173
2015-8-9
Use props
Jack57
lvl.4

Canada

It looks like there was a strong magnetic field at takeoff point, a lot of cars are nearby that can interfere with it. And for sure there must of been antennas on roofs...
Where was the P3 when you went to grab it? On the roof or ground? perhaps you hit something on the roof.
2015-8-9
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

To me it looks like those buildings are more than 11 meters ?
Please link google maps coordinates.
2015-8-9
Use props
sscbulgaria
Bulgaria

www.google.bg/maps/@42.6524881,23.3427087,212m/data=!3m1!1e3 - you have to copy link manually
The Phantom flew above this building with the red roof, and fall between this 2 buildings on the ground. The problem was, that the bird rotates like a plane. The propellers and gimbal was at the same level!. There are no cars there, there is a hole at the street and construction workers changing pipes. The second building is about 20-25m above the ground, but the first is about 7-8m.

2015-8-9
Use props
jdbell2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 305289 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any update on this?  I had a similar situation at the beginning of July.
2015-8-12
Use props
EpicDroner
New

Colombia

looks like this guy didn't calibrate correctly or wait for GPS lock.  you can see the monitor going from GPS to ATTI and back and forth while flying around those buildings.  guy didn't calibrate.  
2015-8-12
Use props
sscbulgaria
Bulgaria

Why are you judging me man? I was checking similar threads before and was hoping this will not happen to me since I take this seriously and strictly follow the instructions. This is a machine and it is normal to have bugs. I always calibrate for every flight, since they are from different place every time and always take off after having the green note "Safe to fly"
2015-8-12
Use props
axidify
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

sscbulgaria Posted at 2015-8-13 15:33
Why are you judging me man? I was checking similar threads before and was hoping this will not happe ...

Looks to me you lost orientation and it drifted off because you didnt have a gps lock. also do not recalibrate your sensors if yours are working and within 100miles of your calibration point. Most of the flyaways I see are always people who always recalibrate their compass in every spot they fly at
2015-8-12
Use props
grahimo
lvl.1

United States

axidify Posted at 2015-8-13 15:58
Looks to me you lost orientation and it drifted off because you didnt have a gps lock. also do not  ...

Ithink your suggestion is valid.  But do you see this (do notre-calibrate with on 100 miles) is suggested by DJI?  if it is theyshould somehow incorporate this in the display (like calibration is needed ornot)  I do calibrate every single time and I did have flyaway on P3last month and fortunately no crash as result.  I lostconfidence.  DJI must address this expensive issue. Seriously thisflyaway issue is a big deal and a scary/expensive event, property damage couldresult.  I still see DJI must address this issue by placing few safetyfeatures such as No fly if GPS is not locked, No fly if campus is notcalibrated... I am waiting to purchase my new one and will not buy another Phantom till I know the system is robust and free from any of these issues.  

_Phantom lover ( when it operates normally)     

2015-8-13
Use props
sscbulgaria
Bulgaria

After some email with DJI Europe, they told me that they will replace it. The drone was sent from Bulgaria (21.08.2015) and it was in their local office in Germany (28.08.2015). They sent me email that the drone is in their warehouse on 07.09.2015. Today i received the drone. The drone and the battery are replaced.  I am very pleased from the DJI Europe Tech Support.
2015-9-11
Use props
ranges
lvl.4

United States

sscbulgaria Posted at 2015-9-11 04:44
After some email with DJI Europe, they told me that they will replace it. The drone was sent from Bu ...

It is good to know they did the right thing.
2015-9-11
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40056 ft
United States

wow.  Good going man.  All I get from them is...fill out this form....
2015-9-11
Use props
Rocket_Aus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Here's a tip fly in open fields and parks ect....just a thought
2015-9-11
Use props
ultimatepump
lvl.1

United States

I just had the same exact experience and after the firmware update.  terrible crash.  the engines sounded like they were fighting as I gave throttle and then it just turned over and crashed.  I'm waiting for reply from support.  I am devastated.
2015-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules