DJI Go SUCKS! ipad air 2 reboots mid flight??!?!!!??
12Next >
3766 53 2015-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

So I was flying today when my P3 was about 4000' feet out. I could see it out there and then my ipad air 2 showed no signal and then rebooted... I pressed the RTH button on the controler and it look like the P3 was still heading out down range. I then  lost sight the the P3. I was like FU@#... am I haveing a fly away... By this time all I see on my ipad is the apple logo as it was rebooting... When the ipad was booted up I started the app back up.  Now mind you have I have lost sight of the P3 and I am not hearing it. When the app started it went to a screen that said something like "flight log" or some crap like that... I had to funble around with the ipad and then I finally get the app running. It still said no signal... Then the screen flashed and I got video back... It was still like 3000' out...

Let me tell you... I have not had this type of issue with the ipad... I am NOT an apple fan but ONLY bought the ipad for the P3... This was my 2nd flight with DJI go...

Is there a way to go back to DJI pilot? If yes... where can I get the file?

If anybody wants to to post logs let me know and how to do it...

Not a happy camper at all...

2015-8-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

What about the temperature? Did you rebooted the Ipad before flight? Did you reinstalled the app or just made an update? Did you set it to airplane mode? what about hardware decode on or off?
2015-8-8
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you have hardware decoding ON or OFF and the Air 2 in the DJI App?

Also, do you have superman eyes to be able to see a P3 that's 0.7 miles away in the sky
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

It was a cold boot before the flight as I had just powered it on. The ipad didn't seem hot. I updated the app through the app store and this was my 2nd flight. I was not in airplane mode as I had never have in the past. I have flown this same area before. I had hardware decode on.
2015-8-8
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Can you finish your story?  Did your DJI3 RTH and land or did you take control and land?  You might consider investigating the incident in detail before condemning DJI GO.  Best of luck and fly safe.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-9 01:34
Can you finish your story?  Did your DJI3 RTH and land or did you take control and land?  You might  ...

Yes it did return to home and when it was descending I took over control and landed it.  By the the time it was over head the app had booted up... Plus you don't need the app to land.

The reason I an comending the app is the fact I had not had any issues like the ipad rebooting before I updated. I have had numrous flights on the old app with zero issues.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

It seems this is not just with the P3 but also the inspire 1

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid187824

Me thinks app...
2015-8-8
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Netherlands

I've had exactly the same experience as you. Resetted before take off my iPad 2 air which only has the DJI Go app with no other third party software. Turned on hardware decode, turned off video-caching, used flight mode and cached the google map etc. No hot temp outside and my iPad air 2 just rebooted during the flight. Got my bird back with the RTH button and took over controll as soon I had it insight. The second flight I changed the third party usb cable with an original Apple lightning cable and didn't have a reboot.

Trying again tomorrow with my fingers crossed.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Stealth... Posted at 2015-8-9 01:46
I've had exactly the same experience as you. Resetted before take off my iPad 2 air which only has t ...

How many flights did you have before this issue? and do let me know if the apple cable works better. I have one of them short ones but have a lot of flights with that set up and the older app.
2015-8-8
Use props
Troublemaker
lvl.1

United States

When I flew with DJI Pilot with iPad Air at me during flight, every time appeared "No Signal"! I had to reboot DJI Pilot to continue to fly. :@ It is a problem there was each my flight! Now I updated firmware, but didn't fly, I hope such won't be any more.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-9 01:30

Also, do you have superman e ...

hardware decoding was ON... Not super human eyes... just a a hill in the background to contrast the P3.

I use to fly high power rockets... You would be surprised how well you can see them... even at 20,000' feet. It's finding them again ones you blink...
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

I really wished they would have an unbloted app just for controlling the P3. I could give a darn about video editing and what not.
2015-8-8
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Netherlands

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-9 01:52
How many flights did you have before this issue? and do let me know if the apple cable works bette ...

I've had 28 flights before and this was the first time after the new firmware update and DJI Go. It's to early to say that the cause of the reboot was related to the third party cable BUT it's alway's better to use the original lightning cable.
2015-8-8
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Spankybear, thanks for the rest of the story.  I use the iPhone 6+ and have not experienced any issues with DJI GO.  I've only flown 4-5 flights after upgrading to DJI GO.  My son flies the DJI3P with an iPad Air 2, with no issues to date.  We both deleted the previous DJI App and loaded the new one.  We also did a lot of initial hovering and close to home flights to ensure DJI GO was working properly.  We practice in ATTI Mode to maintain what I call proficiency in the event P Mode disengages.  I'm no expert but I enjoy the forum and learning from others.  Have fun and fly safe.  
2015-8-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Airplane mode was the reason of some disconnects in the past so i would do it, it wont hurt. Also to reinstall the app is maybe a good idea.
2015-8-8
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3

Colombia

Just a quick note.  I bought a cheap, 3rd party, Uncertified, Lightning Cable to connect my iPhone 6+ to the remote controller.  After thinking about the Uncertified Cable and the amount of $ I invested in my DJI3 I discarded the Uncertified Cable and purchased a short, Certified Lightning Cable from the Apple Store.  Did it make a difference?  Who knows but I do have peace of mind and no problems yet.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-9 02:10
Airplane mode was the reason of some disconnects in the past so i would do it, it wont hurt. Also to ...

I will reinstall the app... But the airplane more kind of has me peeved... I bought the ipad air 2 with cellular just for the app... If I am flying it in airplane mode I could have saved big bucks. I wanted the GPS... (don't use the cellular) also if we ever get the follow me feature you are going to need GPS for that.... and the GPS will be off in airplane mode... Food for thought.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-9 02:05
Spankybear, thanks for the rest of the story.  I use the iPhone 6+ and have not experienced any issu ...

Up till now the ipad was flawless on 1.2.0 of the app.. I did lose the signal when I was across the valley but not the ipad and reboot... Will wait to see what others have to say.

Thanks!
2015-8-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-9 02:23
I will reinstall the app... But the airplane more kind of has me peeved... I bought the ipad air 2 ...

The gps is only useful when you wander around a lot during the flight, the maps can be loaded with your cellular device before you start the motors for example but on the field. You dont really need to reload the maps during flight.
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-8-9 02:30
The gps is only useful when you wander around a lot during the flight, the maps can be loaded with ...

Well what if we get the follow me feature like it was marketed?
2015-8-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-9 02:35
Well what if we get the follow me feature like it was marketed?

yes thats why i said only if you are moving during filming, for me its not a problem since i never wandering around and i personally have no use for it because its also dangerous to film myself while driving a car for example. But some ppl use that follow me feature because they want to film themselfes a lot, maybe while riding a bike or during windsurfing, i dont know. I never was a fan of that feature.
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-9 01:34
It was a cold boot before the flight as I had just powered it on. The ipad didn't seem hot. I update ...

i have been having same issue with my iphone 6+ since the new FW update. I have been trying to go thru the steps, one by one and i have found out that when i put the phone in airplane mode i have no problems!! like you, i never used to do that but for some reason after the new app update and fw update if not in airplane mode i get disconnected constantly. i also went back to the apple lightning cable instead of third party.
there is a thread on this that i started, go look and see the results there.
hope this helps
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-9 01:52
How many flights did you have before this issue? and do let me know if the apple cable works bette ...

i had over 100 flights before the new app and fw update, never an issue. since updates, many disconnect issues, which i have resolved by changing cable to oem and putting device in airplane mode. to be honest who wants to receive a call or txt saying' "honey being me some milk on your way home"
thanks
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-9 02:20
Just a quick note.  I bought a cheap, 3rd party, Uncertified, Lightning Cable to connect my iPhone 6 ...

absolutely, you did good by purchasing oem apple cable
2015-8-8
Use props
Superfantastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-9 01:30

Also, do you have superman e ...

Also, do you have superman eyes to be able to see a P3 that's 0.7 miles away in the sky

2015-8-8
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Superfantastic Posted at 2015-8-9 06:31

Turned off Hardware decode and problem solved, flawless working Ipad
2015-8-8
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-9 01:57
I really wished they would have an unbloted app just for controlling the P3. I could give a darn abo ...

Nice. Totally agree and have stated this a few times.
2015-8-8
Use props
yasrooh
lvl.2

United States

thts happend to me also  with last dji app and I pressed the RTH button
2015-8-8
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Netherlands

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 13:43

That's very strange because the advise is to enable hardware decode(ON). When enabled it's using the powerfull A8 processor of the iPad air and not the software layer. The next flight I'll try it with the hardware decode disabled.
On the link below you can see the difference with "OFF" and "ON". OFF gives delay and ON less delay.

2015-8-9
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 13:43

Hardware decode ON for A7 iDevices, OFF for A8 as it seems t have some GPU issues. Not everyone gets it but a device reboot is the symptom..
2015-8-9
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Netherlands

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-10 02:07
Hardware decode ON for A7 iDevices, OFF for A8 as it seems t have some GPU issues. Not everyone ge ...

Thanks! Maybe that explains  why I had this reboot issue two times,;)
2015-8-9
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-10 02:07
Hardware decode ON for A7 iDevices, OFF for A8 as it seems t have some GPU issues. Not everyone ge ...

and I went with the air 2 just for the A8
2015-8-10
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

Ok is there a way to go back to the DJI pilot app? I really just want an app to control the camera and FPV... I am not inserted in the video editing and the other stuff in the app...
2015-8-10
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-10 23:32
Ok is there a way to go back to the DJI pilot app? I really just want an app to control the camera a ...

I read on rcgroups.com that it is not possible to go back, I'll show you the post.
Also this September or October IOS9 will be available for the IPad Air 2 and it will fix a number of issues like rebooting for whatever reasons and overheating.
2015-8-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Funny my iPad Air 2 has never even gotten warm from the Pilot App or our new Go version while flying.
I must be one of the lucky iPad purchasers too.
Of course I don't live in Texas or Florida, where you folks get those even hotter temperatures, than we do up here in the north.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-10
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-10 23:54
Funny my iPad Air 2 has never even gotten warm from the Pilot App or our new Go version while flying ...

Mine was not hot at all... it was cool to the touch... It just rebooted
2015-8-10
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never had a problem with the old app,  my mini 2 has crashed twice while running the new app.
2015-8-10
Use props
kelleyre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59199 ft
United States

I just got everything updated with the latest firmware and everything went well, I just did and Imu calibration, then I also calibrated the compass,I was just about the lift off when I noticed that the radio quality went from good to poor then I got a disconnect. I've been flying this inspire now for about four months and it's been awesome, absolutely no issues whatsoever until today. One very odd thing is that the indicator at the top of the app that indicates level of the radio signal, not the video signal indicator, but the radio signal indicator is showing full bars but I'm still getting getting good to poor messages and then all of a sudden it will disconnect and then reconnect.  I thought I would mention one more thing, after loading the updates on the inspire 1 and the RC controller I was in the app looking around and all of a sudden it crashed the iPad totally rebooted it. The ipad that I'm using is the latest air with 128 gigs  with the cellular radio in it.  It hasn't crashed since it rebooted.

At this point I  guess I'm going to have stopt flying until I can get some more information about what's happening, just a little unnerving.
I guess I'll try and call DJI or get on the chat and see if maybe they have any ideas.  Fingers and toes crossed

Thanks for any ideas you guys may have

RK
2015-8-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-10 23:28
and I went with the air 2 just for the A8

I did the same thing and i cant use the option...
2015-8-10
Use props
cisco15010
New

United States

My Video Fed failed and and my dji go app rebooted In my inspire 1
2015-8-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules