Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Going full down left stick = CRASH ? willie wonka speculation.
123Next >
4826 105 2015-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

I think DJI needs to fix this massive problem, when you are flying and relaxing watching your phantom then all of the sudden you see your battery is low so you decide to get down fast or you need to go pee or whatever and you want to bring the phantom down fast, you go and pull the left stick down all the way to decent and before you know it after two seconds of full down it goes down like a rock and crashes into pieces.

DJI needs to route the kill motors function from the CSC and the full left stick down to the back buttons on the controller or a different less used combo than this, as i tested both possibilites and it killed my freaking motors mid AIR !!!

SO if you are going down and need to go down fast, DO NOT GO FULL DOWN, increase your EXPO on throttle like i did and make sure you don't pull down all the way more than ONE second.

To clarify : this is just a specualtion and it happend in a controlled location, no phantoms were harmed in this controlled test.
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

I use full down all the time Willie. Did a little while ago as a matter of fact. No premature disarming for me.  Maybe you have an issue with yours? That's puzzling!
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-9 01:55
I use full down all the time Willie. Did a little while ago as a matter of fact. No premature disarm ...

Now if I hold the p3 in the air (hand catch) and then do full down it will stop it as it senses that it is not falling anymore and assumes that I want it to disarm. If you are having barometer problems I could forsee this happening however.
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-9 01:58
Now if I hold the p3 in the air (hand catch) and then do full down it will stop it as it senses th ...

Thats what worries me, so you are telling me you did go full down more than 2 seconds and it kept going down without problems ?
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 02:03
Thats what worries me, so you are telling me you did go full down more than 2 seconds and it kept  ...

Oh yes. All the time. I like to bring her down fast!
2015-8-8
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Thats what worries me, so you are telling me you did go full down more than 2 seconds and it kept  ...

I do it all the time. Motors have never stopped...yet.
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 01:43
DJI can't do much to prevent poor pilot skills...

Your ignorance has left me almost speechless, what did Willie do wrong?  Please humble us with your insight that is so far absent from your troll like comment.
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-9 02:05
Oh yes. All the time. I like to bring her down fast!

Thank you for clarifying it as i am always sketchy when pulling that stick down, having nightmare of it just falling down as i was testing all stick combinations that would cause killing the motors in my HAND.

I hope it does not rely on the barometer and only rely on the gyroscope.
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

willie i am the first to say CSC is an absolute engineering bolloxed up!!, but i use throttle full down all the time to descend and it has never cutt off motors!!!
i dont know what the problem may have been but that has not happened on mine!!!

2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 02:09
Thank you for clarifying it as i am always sketchy when pulling that stick down, having nightmare  ...

Yeah. I disarmed my ol' P2v+ the same way and had many many thousands of miles on that baby with no hiccups. I think the tech is sound on that.
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

Just a theory...

Have you heard anything about some of the reported barometer issues that some are saying has been corrected with the recent firmware update?

I wonder if your Phantom was experiencing this error, it believed it was not descending and killed the motors?  

I have actually feared that this would happen.

Were you able to update the firmware before this happened?

Were you anywhere near the take off elevation when this occurred?
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

YAY i can go full down now without peeing my pants at the same time LOL
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 02:15
YAY i can go full down now without peeing my pants at the same time LOL

Hang it out if ya gotta!! LOL. I am amazed at how much faster this descends than my other model. It is kinda scary it's so fast. They slowed the old p2's down in a fw upgrade way back. Not the p3 though! As I said earlier. The down stick shouldn't get you on that.
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-9 02:15
Just a theory...

Have you heard anything about some of the reported barometer issues that some ar ...

The barometer issues were just inaccurate. I don't think any failed to report a decrease in altitude, just wrong altitude. I wouldn't think anyone should have lost a bird from that.
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-9 02:15
Just a theory...

Have you heard anything about some of the reported barometer issues that some ar ...

I did all my tests while holding it in my hand, which as jim said it could have detected its not going down anymore and thought it landed and stopped the motors.
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-9 02:22
The barometer issues were just inaccurate. I don't think any failed to report a decrease in altitu ...

So there was consistency to the inaccuracies?  Like as in the barometer was still consistently fluctuating and never freezing or level?  I honestly don't know because I was lucky not to have those issues.
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
Second Officer
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-9 02:27
So there was consistency to the inaccuracies?  Like as in the barometer was still consistently flu ...

No freezes on me. I flew and disarmed with left stick all through the last fw fiasco.
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

There we go again, i don't understand why i attract flies and nats when i try to express something to be discussed ? Mr. licensed troll do you feel better after attacking other people? does it make you a better person? please if you don't have something to contribute then please go on your marry freaking way and bother someone on the street or even better go give a heart attack to one of your imaginary airplane passengers.
2015-8-8
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Could it be that the function is only possible if altitude is zero
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-8-9 02:54

That is what i am thinking, will try again while moving the phantom around in my hand.
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

sure, if u like. forum is to help not try to take a dump on people!, i dont know willie any more than i know you, but i do know that he has tried to be helpful, which is more than i can say for you
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 02:54
There we go again, i don't understand why i attract flies and nats when i try to express something t ...

no, you just want opinions that support your preconceived notions. You've decided DJI is wrong and you are right and can't handle opposing viewpoints with other than name calling.
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 02:48
Not speechless enough, apparently.
Is it more likely to you that he, as he moved the left stick ...

he very well may have, as i did on 2nd day of having received the p3, due to not having read the manual about the most stupid engineering flay, CSC, the same controls that is used to fly!!, i suppose a kill button under a flap just wouldnt have made sense, right?
so lets say he did do that, so now you gotta drive the nail in and gloat over someone else's misfortune?
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-9 03:07
he very well may have, as i did on 2nd day of having received the p3, due to not having read the m ...

Man you are just a hater. He posted his story and was clearly looking for alternate explanations. Don't hate just 'cause you didn't like my answer that every crash is not DJI's fault.(I understand that is the trend)
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 03:07
no, you just want opinions that support your preconceived notions. You've decided DJI is wrong and ...

I am always right until i am proved wrong, thats how i learn and i accept others opinions and facts, i am not a wise guy nor should you be god ole mighty and put down your hammer of sarcasm.

No more gasoline for this one...
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 03:12
I am always right until i am proved wrong, thats how i learn and i accept others opinions and fact ...

"I am always right until i am proved wrong" Gee, you must be a fun guy to be around...
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 03:10
Man you are just a hater. He posted his story and was clearly looking for alternate explanations.  ...

he didnt say it was. and your alternate answer is "poor pilot skills?
and what is it that i hate exactly? apart from insensetive people
and as an intelligent person you dont think a better way to kill motors?
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

EOD, Bud.   
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 02:48
Not speechless enough, apparently.
Is it more likely to you that he, as he moved the left stick ...

Lol hence the word "almost"

Either way, I obviously disagree that this is a pilot error and your most recent response seems to validate that you have rethought that?  Or is there some unspoken rivalry between you and Willie Wonka I have missed here?

Do you know what kind of rivalry I am talking of?  I get it with some of my good friends, exploiting any opportunity to take a jab at the other.  
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-9 03:26
he didnt say it was. and your alternate answer is "poor pilot skills?
and what is it that i hate e ...

Press the EJECT button lol
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-9 03:30
Lol hence the word "almost"

Either way, I obviously disagree that this is a pilot error and your  ...

Haven't rethought anything, still sounds like pilot error to me. And no I don't know Willy Wonka from Harry Potter.
As a licensed pilot, when I make a mistake (and live!) I evaluate what I did so I can learn from it (but I don't blame the airplane). All I'm saying is let us stop being so quick to blame DJI for everything.
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 03:10
Man you are just a hater. He posted his story and was clearly looking for alternate explanations.  ...

That wasn't an answer it was an opinionated statement created for the sole purpose of stirring the pot.  That is why you are being described as a "troll."  "Troll" as it is used in online forums and social media is not name calling, it is a short hand description based off of trolling for fish to catch them.  You are simply "trolling" for responses and to stir things up.  

I give you credit, you have been successful in your attempt.  If this is what you need to get off, you may now be excused, just don't come back until after you have washed your hands lol.
2015-8-8
Use props
rayrokni
Captain
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 03:31
Press the EJECT button lol

ok i will.
But seriously people, dont you guys think there is a better way to kill motors instead of using flight controls?
this is happening way too often, agreed, IT IS USERS FAULT FOR NOT READING MANUAL. IT ABSOLUTELY IS NOT THE FAULT OF DJI.
I am just saying that there must be a better way, imagine if you could kill your car's engine whith the steering wheel, well i suppose you could, by STEERING IT IN TO A TREE!!
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Booradley Posted at 2015-8-9 03:36
That wasn't an answer it was an opinionated statement created for the sole purpose of stirring the ...

troll is a word of the weak minded when they don't agree with your opinion.
2015-8-8
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

That wasn't an answer it was an opinionated statement created for the sole purpose of stirring the ...

"just don't come back until after you have washed your hands lol."
Well thank you your majesty.
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

I just took a shower to clean myself from the splatter LOL
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 03:36
Haven't rethought anything, still sounds like pilot error to me. And no I don't know Willy Wonka f ...

Don't put words in my mouth.  Being a "licensed pilot" does not excuse you from ignorance.  I know first hand and I know 2 licensed pilots, one in which was also a mechanic, flew in Vietnam, flew helis, Cessna, Beechcraft, and is now dead...  

I actually know/knew more licensed pilots that have died in plane crashes than those killed in or around automobiles.  You can validate my claim too with FAA records.  My best friend's Dad died in a plane I had been in on numerous occasions (Warner Springs, CA), one that I would have been in at the time of his crash if I had not gone snowboarding that day.  Within 30 days of that incident, my former baseball coach and his son, went down in the Rockies on a clear day with light winds in a twin engine plane.  They waited an extra day for good weather and were still adversely effected by it.  Both incidents ironically occurred just weeks before Sully landed in the Hudson.  (January 15th, 2009)

I also know a good pilot practices humility.  Not running around every forum on the www to brag about being one.  In my opinion, you have something to prove for a lack of something else and I'd be willing to bet I am not the only one here with that theory.  I would be rightfully nervous to share the skies with you and have already had more than one encounter with a "know it all" in the air that feels like they are above the common courtesy of communicating with air traffic control above a runway, or to learn the English language well enough to fly in an English based airspace.
2015-8-8
Use props
robrogkr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 293976 ft
Poland

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-8-9 02:54

No, this is not working like that. If it was so, a small mistake of barometer could cause the switch off of the motors.
In those 2 seconds P3 checks whether the altitude is decreasing. If its decreasing, it doesn't switch off the motors. If it's constant, it switches them off.

2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 03:38

No it's not.  Making up our own definitions are we?

LOL nice try.  
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
Second Officer
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-9 03:38

"From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).

"lease do not feed the troll" redirects here. It is not to be confused with Wikipedialease do not bite the newcomers.

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[3]

This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5] In addition, depictions of trolling have been included in popular fictional works such as the HBO television program The Newsroom, in which a main character encounters harassing individuals online and tries to infiltrate their circles by posting negative sexual comments himself.[6][7]"

Again, nice try
2015-8-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules