windsurfer antenna works!
3620 19 2015-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

People windsurfer antenna actually works! I saw him today, fabricated and tested , normally I can in good conditions when I'm high enough fly fetch about 3,500 meters, now I was at 4,200 meters without signal loss , the limiting factor is the battery now , at 55 % it indicates you have to go back , and that's true good, you need 50 % to achieve the maximum distance and another 50 % to come back safe with a safety margin of 5 %So more can hardly , I flew with 7 meters per second, so maybe if you fly faster to the max you come up even further?
2015-8-9
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

i have been using them and yes they work, i ve been using them for other things also.
i bought one 3d printed on ebay but havent recieved them yet, so im using my hand made ones for now and they do a good job. i just cant bring myself to go thru some expense and a lot of messing around inside the RC ton install other rande boosters since the battery is the limiting factor right now!!
2015-8-9
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

Yep battery is the limed gonna try once more ad full speed perhaps its getting a bit further, but 4K is far annyway, you don,t want to lose your bird so ad this distances you are taking some risks, when there is going something wrong your screwed...
2015-8-9
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

I just Emailed giufini and plan to order his Range Booster unless I find a better one.
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Skater67 Posted at 2015-8-10 05:09
I just Emailed giufini and plan to order his Range Booster unless I find a better one.

I have a FPVLR stage 2 kit and can fly farther than the battery will allow. About 17k feet 1 way is as far as I can stomach. It lands at about 10% after 34k feet. No loss of signal. It's freaking crazy!! Most of the time I just use some tp-link 9db omni directionals as they work easily out 1 mile and there is alot less bulk. If you have interference then the boosted job will work much better.  
2015-8-9
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-10 05:40
I have a FPVLR stage 2 kit and can fly farther that the battery will allow. About 17k feet 1 way i ...

you just brought a good point up jim, its not about going further, if you have thick foliage, trees house, anything that weakens oem antennas then the booster makes good sense, in this case i may just get one, which one jim? the one you got or the, what is dbsilte or something like that?
2015-8-9
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450492 ft
Canada

Question for people making these antennas. How many layers of aluminum foil tape are you using? Is 1 layer enough or should i layer the crap out of this thing? Also for people with a 3D printer I uploaded a model I used to make mine. Was a fairly easy print. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:962325
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-10 08:35
you just brought a good point up jim, its not about going further, if you have thick foliage, tre ...

This one buddy..... https://fpvlr.com/store/product/phantom-3-advanced-antenna-kit/
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-10 08:35
you just brought a good point up jim, its not about going further, if you have thick foliage, tre ...

https://fpvlr.com/store/product/phantom-3-advanced-antenna-kit/
2015-8-9
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

raynelang@gmail Posted at 2015-8-10 10:02
Question for people making these antennas. How many layers of aluminum foil tape are you using? Is 1 ...

one layer as smooth as you can
2015-8-9
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Jim and Ray,  The upgrade looks intriguing. Curious why DJI wouldn't offer this as stock?  Jim - How long have you been using the upgrade and have you noticed any ill effects?
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2015-8-10 11:49
Jim and Ray,  The upgrade looks intriguing. Curious why DJI wouldn't offer this as stock?  Jim - How ...

I have had it about 2 months. No problems at all And I got rid of those darn stock  "bo-bo's". Now I can use any type of antenna I want. They are truthful when they say 400% range over stock. Oh, I installed the terminals all by my lonesome. I am pretty handy but it is NOT hard.
controller.JPG
remote.JPG
2015-8-9
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

How tough was the install?  I see they offer an install service as well. Wondering if it would be worth it.
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

I have flown 6500 ft with 9db tp-links on a modded rc. I imagine the refractors would push it even farther.
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2015-8-10 11:57
How tough was the install?  I see they offer an install service as well. Wondering if it would be wo ...

30-60 minutes with marginal "know-how". There is a great instructional video and it was easier for me than the guy that did it. He did some tedious cable routing that was not necessary. I shaved some time and complexity off.
2015-8-9
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

I dit foill on two sites so olso the back site, used carton from the battery box haha! this is idial for bending in the richt parabolic shape, 2 ours work in total, the thing is you have to make the shape and the alu foil as smooth as possible in order to let it work, but it is cheap and it works !!
2015-8-9
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

k.kavelaars@qui Posted at 2015-8-10 15:45
I dit foill on two sites so olso the back site, used carton from the battery box haha! this is idial ...

A friend of mine just got the "windsurfer" in and on. He went out almost 7500 Ft! Sounds good to me for a stock. I really don't see a reason to modify with these results.
2015-8-10
Use props
giufini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 399039 ft
Italy

Hi guys, here I am, this is "giufini", the maker of the genuine "DJI Phantom 3 / Inspire 1 Range Booster". I wish to remark that this accessory was born as a free add-on for all the users of the last generation DJI Drones, since I published on Thingiverse.com a "ready to be printed" 3D model of a very performant and accurate parabolic antenna for the Remote Controller of your DJI drone:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:946565

Anyway, for everyone who don't have a 3D printer, I can sell them an ABS printed and hand-finished Range Booster ready to use with internal aluminum coating already applied (19,00 € + shipping fees).
If you are interested, you can contact me at giuseppe.finizia@gmail.com.

Have a Nice Flight with your DJI Drones!
2015-8-10
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

Hello, I have with my homemade windsurfer antenna covered a one-way distance of 14000ft, so a total of 28000ft! it was not because the signal fell off but because the battery flew its limit of 55 % at the given distance..
50% for outbound and 50% to come back with a safety margin of 5 %
So the intelligent flight batteries really do work well , you really just want to stay richt of the yellow ball with the (H ) but this is not recommended because you are flying to the limits of your drone if you make an error in judgment for example, because if you have headwinds than will you lose your drone ..
So the bottomline is the limit is 4000 meters do not go further!
2015-8-11
Use props
DanH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315177 ft
France

I use one of the windsurfer antenna models found on Ebay, and it is working perfectly.
I decided to issue a RTH at 4040 meters (13250 feet)  with still 68% battery remaining because of the wind.
No signal loss, lightbridge video was fine.

During the return flight, headwind was quite strong (approx 10m/s), and I landed with only 15% spare battery.

Here is the image just before hitting the RTH.

002.jpg
2015-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules