Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost Drone in Forest - Recover GPS data from Flight Record?
3564 7 2015-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ernestodc1981
New

Paraguay

I’ve lost a drone in the forest (in Northern Paraguay, while shooting a documentary). My colleagues didn’t take any of the necessary precautions, and actually were not prepared or trained to fly it and it and a mixture of complete inexperience with controls, very heavy winds, and probably even poor satellite signal, made it go out of sight, and the loose battery, and fall or land somewhere in a dense patch of low-trees forest... A pity, because we were fixing to get some amazing images of a very special region of the world not yet very much seen from above :-/

When I look at the DJI Go App, this unfortunate flight has left a record in Flight Records, and I can see the whole path, trajectory, from the place where it took off, and from that we have a rough idea of which area in the forest it is in. But without a precise location it is very difficult.

Does anybody know if there is a way to extract GPS coordinates from the flight record? That way we could know more precisely where exactly it disappeared, and start the search there. It must have coordinates because even being an area without phone signal, when i arrived at proper internet reception, it plots the flight path unto satellite imagery, and it perfectly matches the geographical landmark of the home point, for instance, etc.. I have triangulated that information unto google-earth to try to find an exact location, but I can’t be very precise...

I would appreciate any input..

Thank you!

2015-8-9
Use props
TheCutter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94688 ft
Germany

You can upload the FlightRecord to my online conversion tool:
http://thecutter.net/djiconverter
2015-8-10
Use props
RDTeam55
R&D Team

Hong Kong

Hi, ernestodc. You can ask our service department for help. They can help you. Good luck.
2015-8-11
Use props
Filmax
lvl.2

Norway

send me a map and the flight recording, so I can start looking, would have liked a inspire in reserve
2015-8-13
Use props
rehan2haque
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84898 ft
United Kingdom

sorry to hear about your loss. It is however good to know that it was due to a number of controllable factors that were not met, it puts myself at ease as a new user. I would of been more paranoid if you had lost it and it was not down to anything you could of done.
2015-8-14
Use props
f.selvini
lvl.1

Italy

So i think for search into a big area you need another drone. In this case IS more simple find The lost drone!
2015-8-14
Use props
gordon
New
United Kingdom

f.selvini@gmail Posted at 2015-8-15 00:14
So i think for search into a big area you need another drone. In this case IS more simple find The l ...

Lol... Good luck with that idea.
2015-8-30
Use props
chamanea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 999262 ft
  • >>>
New Caledonia

Just for the record, you can also convert your log on http://flylitchi.com/logs, which will give you all coordinates in a CSV file (free)
2015-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules