Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
@DJI - where is the GO App manual?
29758 39 2015-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just moved from Android to iOS, and into GO at the same time.
  • What's 'Smart Go Home'?
  • Where can I find an explanation of the different 'Gain & Expo Tuning' settings?
  • Where can I find an explanation of the new (?) 'Gimbal Pitch/Yaw EXP' controls (they don't seem to do anything)?
  • What does 'Hardware Decode' do?
  • blah blah...

I know the good people of this community are likely to know the answers but it would be great if our supplier could provide some clarity.
2015-8-10
Use props
daviskw2004
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wish there were one as well... I cannot understand why produce a slick complicated program then provide no manual.

Butch
2015-8-10
Use props
tigger4725
lvl.1

Canada

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-8-11 09:34
I wish there were one as well... I cannot understand why produce a slick complicated program then pr ...

I agree, we need a manual to explain all the functions...the phantom is too expensive to do the trial and error game...!!!!!!
2015-8-11
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.3

Netherlands

Check this  tutorial  on YouTube.

2015-8-11
Use props
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Well, that video's not fully applicable anymore given it's a guide for a (now) legacy app, and... it's a video. So I've got no index and a user's interpretation of what's what. Apologies if that sounds spikey...

I know most I1 and P3 pilots are desensitized to the DJI madness, but it really is madness i.e. a consumer can go out and buy an extremely powerful and equally dangerous aircraft and fire it up into shared airspace (problem 1 of 1000), and the manufacturer doesn't provide a detailed user manual for the front end.

The regulatory bodies would have a field day with such irresponsible behaviour... oh wait.
2015-8-11
Use props
BigCol
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361647 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with all comments above, except watch it on you tube. I need a manual that explains all the functionality and capability. If I drive a car, use a washing machine, buy an iPod, use excel or a lawn mower there are detailed instructions. The Go app control a complex, potentially dangerous bit of kit. DJI please provide a manual?
2015-8-11
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is why we have a tutorial in the App.  You can enable it and drill down to the details.  I will ask HQ for a video.  
2015-8-11
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.3

Netherlands

Whispermode Posted at 2015-8-12 04:38
Well, that video's not fully applicable anymore given it's a guide for a (now) legacy app, and... it ...

NHF, but it helped me through most of the settings and by the lack of a manual....{:3_57:}
2015-8-11
Use props
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-12 10:32
That is why we have a tutorial in the App.  You can enable it and drill down to the details.  I will ...

Thanks, Ed, but I really don't think that's acceptable.

I don't want a video unless that's our only option - again, if I want to remind myself of what a specific function does until I've committed the entire app to memory, how do I quickly find it in a video?

Also, I've just fired up the app to take a look at the tutorials, turned them on and... nothing. I'm guessing it has to be linked to an 'on' I1/P3 to work. Mine's at the end of my garden in a lockup.

Kind of like the pages on my Haynes manual being completely blank unless my car's running...

Without looking (because I can't), is there really sufficient detail in the in-app tutorial about gain controls or IOC?
2015-8-12
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Whispermode Posted at 2015-8-13 06:09
Thanks, Ed, but I really don't think that's acceptable.

I don't want a video unless that's our o ...

DJI does not recommend that users adjust the gains unless you are advanced and understand how the parameters effect flight.  F mode is explained in the craft's manual.  The information is available but not the precise way that you are looking for it.  I am sorry.  I will bring your concerns up when I am at HQ in China.
2015-8-12
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-13 08:17
DJI does not recommend that users adjust the gains unless you are advanced and understand how the  ...

Ed,

I have raised this also on other threads.  

Can I respectfully request that DJI consider releasing update Notices with any additional functions  such as the " Smart Go Home" and detail exactly how they work in a user friendly way so any new functions are easily understood by everyone, novices  and experienced flyers included.

I have also asked on the forum for a DJI explanation for the "Smart Go Home" as I get the feeling that no one knows for sure exactly what it does when enabled or switched off.

PS
Thanks for that token appreciation, very nice.
2015-8-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-13 17:19
Ed,

I have raised this also on other threads.  

I will be meeting with the leads and R&D on all the products to discuss current issues.  I will see what I can do.  
2015-8-13
Use props
rehan2haque
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84898 ft
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-14 03:14
I will be meeting with the leads and R&D on all the products to discuss current issues.  I will se ...

I eventually found a youtuber who went through all the options of the app in more detail and answered my questions, but was really surprised that this wasn't already included , given how slick and well presented most of everything else is. It's not even just the advanced function ( which it would be great to learn a little about via some printed instructions) it was simple stuff like what is the draw on map for ? does it have a physical influence on the craft or is it just a guild line for yourself.

The tutorial that initially opens up and highlights most of the buttons/display points is fine, but its initially quite overwhelming and you probably only take 50% of it in. Something printed you can keep referring to as you work your way through the app, learning its functions would be more effective.
2015-8-14
Use props
Whispermode
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-13 08:17
DJI does not recommend that users adjust the gains unless you are advanced and understand how the  ...

Unbelievable response.

Ed - whilst I appreciate DJI's concern about my skill level, how am I to know how the parameters affect flight if there's no documentation?

Couple of things here:

1. For some perspective, can you think of another appliance/piece of tech, simple or complex, that you own, that doesn't have a manual?

2. The tutorial that you've described as allowing you to drill down to the details, doesn't cover anything that I've asked unless I'm missing a page somewhere. Can you confirm?
------

As you've suggested, please raise this with R&D, if only for the sake of your business, because it's a shambles.

...and so it doesn't look like a one-man-crusade on my part, it would be useful to create a petition of some sort if needed e.g. a Sticky asking, "Who wants a manual?". I can't imgine any new or existing pilot stating that they're OK without one.

2015-8-15
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I leave in 5 days.  I will ask the question.  It is then up to DJI HQ to make that decision.
2015-8-17
Use props
Amber
New

United Kingdom

rehan2haque Posted at 2015-8-14 17:15
I eventually found a youtuber who went through all the options of the app in more detail and answe ...

Would you be so kind as to link the you tuber you mention so we can have a look also.
2015-8-19
Use props
BigCol
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-18 06:41
I leave in 5 days.  I will ask the question.  It is then up to DJI HQ to make that decision.

Please do take this up with the HQ. But a video is no go when trying to take in the intricacies of a complex piece of software. So areas of the app seem to be so complex that I have no idea what they are doing yet i suspect they are important.
Please provide a comprehensive manual
2015-8-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
Hong Kong

BigCol Posted at 2015-8-27 21:58
Please do take this up with the HQ. But a video is no go when trying to take in the intricacies of ...

It has already been brought up with the leaders of the App team.  It is up to them to pursue it or not.
2015-8-27
Use props
BigCol
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-28 05:49
It has already been brought up with the leaders of the App team.  It is up to them to pursue it or ...

thank you Ed, presumeably your colleagues will let you know the outcome of their deliberations as you are their communicator.
2015-8-28
Use props
expplane
New
United States

I echo all the remorse about the DJI GO app lack of a manual. Apparently 3 different "Configurations" can be set. What can be included in these "Configurations"?
The problem with software development is those that write the code are very good at software design, BUT the task of producing a really good manual is equally as challenging. However compared to coding, manual writing is boring, so if one is produced, its given to the wrong person. A technical manual is difficult to write, since you must become a "newby user" and view the task from the USER's side. That means TEACH a technical writer, not a software engineer, how to use the app expertly, then let that person write the manual. THEN give the draft manual to a new user and if that person struggles, correct those confusing parts. A clear and complete user manual is an indication of a professional and competent operation. So far DJI has failed in that area.
2015-8-30
Use props
ahmedafifi11
New

United States

It is beyond my comprehension why we .pay o much for a system that does not have a manual with it. My next aircraft will be a different brand. I am tired of spending time asking questions on the chat that dont give you clear answered. I am also tired of going to you tube to ask random people questions that have their own version of an answer.

Last but not least, the user manual is really bad. Vague explanations without a step by step instructions (which is what a user manual is for).
Someone said there is a tutorial in the app. Where is that? I hope they are not talking about the 6 screens you scroll through showing you how to connect the system.
2015-8-31
Use props
Serafin
lvl.1

United States

DJI is the most common platform for FAA exemptions in the US. You'd think DJI would provide a manual for the new app which makes the Exemption easier to write. Thanks DJI, another miss.
2015-8-31
Use props
madgitty
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Simple, DJI, tell us whats new ect, do some bloody work, customer service, look it up or ask most companies what it is, eventually it will catch up with you as others offer good service.
2015-9-2
Use props
mrapl1
First Officer
Flight distance : 3681 ft
United States

Can't help but to agree, over a thousand bucks and poor to no documentation just bites, but, I've had worse, like the Storm Quad that I purchased over a year ago from Helipal, one little paragraph on the web site on how to arm the motors, that's it. after that, you are really on your own.  But to be fair, this unit did come with a users manual for the vehicle, while perhaps not the best explanations, it's still something, and with regard to the GO Pilot app, well I did find something in the original user manual, however it's only three pages... ouch...
   So, I figured that at this point instead of waiting for DJI, that I would simply go through all of the screens and sub menus, which is good for me as I will learn what is in all of them, and simply take a screen shot and then compile them so I can make my own manual and what the hell, share it. Now there are a couple of things that I still have to figure out, but I would say that this probably covers about ninety five percent of what is in there. Also, if and when I fill in the remaining blanks, I will post an updated version. Hope it helps you... It's helping me...

2015-9-4
Use props
jamspandex
lvl.1

France

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-8-12 04:32
That is why we have a tutorial in the App.  You can enable it and drill down to the details.  I will ...

A tutorial you say? How do I access that? If only there were a manual to tell me how to access the tutorial !! Or do you mean the tutorial vidoes that are accessable from the start page?
2015-9-6
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Wait until the next version of the App is announced.  There will be a manual that goes with that along with a video.  I am not sure if they will be released at the same time.
2015-9-6
Use props
dji
lvl.1
Flight distance : 833396 ft
United States

mrapl1 Posted at 2015-9-4 13:23
Can't help but to agree, over a thousand bucks and poor to no documentation just bites, but, I've ...

Thanks for the step through of the app!  Definitely helped me see things I'd missed before.
2015-9-7
Use props
rebeamer
lvl.1

United States

Ed,  I donwloaded the latest Android version of the GO app. You talk about enabling the Tutorial - I'm at a loss to find out how to do that. I do not see anything in the app that speaks to it. Any assistance would be appreciated. I'd ditto the comments about a manual. For something the cost of the P3P, thorough documenation should be a given. Thanks!
2015-9-7
Use props
mrapl1
First Officer
United States

rebeamer Posted at 2015-9-8 10:32
Ed,  I donwloaded the latest Android version of the GO app. You talk about enabling the Tutorial - I ...

It is here in this screen....   
tutorial.jpg
2015-9-7
Use props
rehan2haque
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84898 ft
United Kingdom

Amber Posted at 2015-8-19 14:06
Would you be so kind as to link the you tuber you mention so we can have a look also.

this youtube video goes into each option on the app.
2015-9-9
Use props
mrapl1
First Officer
United States

And for those who prefer the verbiage, try this....  http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 1&fromuid=71509   Excellent detailed information...
2015-9-14
Use props
46chief
lvl.1
Flight distance : 581519 ft
United States

How long has this version of the DJI Go App been on the market? I think by now there would be a good wiki on the functions of the app.
2015-10-13
Use props
46chief
lvl.1
Flight distance : 581519 ft
United States

Try this guide written by a helpful user. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=24691&fromuid=71509
2015-10-13
Use props
MichaelM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3720 ft
Netherlands

BigCol Posted at 2015-8-11 13:50
I agree with all comments above, except watch it on you tube. I need a manual that explains all the functionality and capability. If I drive a car, use a washing machine, buy an iPod, use excel or a lawn mower there are detailed instructions. The Go app control a complex, potentially dangerous bit of kit. DJI please provide a manual?

You need detailed instructions to use an ipod???
2017-2-3
Use props
John Smith
lvl.2

United States

mrapl1 Posted at 2015-9-4 11:23
Can't help but to agree, over a thousand bucks and poor to no documentation just bites, but, I've had worse, like the Storm Quad that I purchased over a year ago from Helipal, one little paragraph on the web site on how to arm the motors, that's it. after that, you are really on your own.  But to be fair, this unit did come with a users manual for the vehicle, while perhaps not the best explanations, it's still something, and with regard to the GO Pilot app, well I did find something in the original user manual, however it's only three pages... ouch... https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Gc/view?usp=sharing   So, I figured that at this point instead of waiting for DJI, that I would simply go through all of the screens and sub menus, which is good for me as I will learn what is in all of them, and simply take a screen shot and then compile them so I can make my own manual and what the hell, share it. Now there are a couple of things that I still have to figure out, but I would say that this probably covers about ninety five percent of what is in there. Also, if and when I fill in the remaining blanks, I will post an updated version. Hope it helps you... It's helping me...https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BySLmR3APzrtdFlLeVNWWGEyVjQ/view?usp=sharing

Whoa dude!! You just won the internet!!

And not to mention my great appreciation for your work!  :-)

Thank you, sir!
2017-2-20
Use props
susanchylek
lvl.1
United States

Any ideas here? I just created 4 versions of movies with my first subject and got it done. No problems, just a little learning curve.  Second subject  created a movie, and went to upload and after about 30 seconds it goes into super s-l-o-w  m-o-t-i-o-n.  No clue why.  It was only just over 2 minutes. Tried it again and same thing, but slo mo started in a different spot. It ends uploading at 5+ min due to the slow mo. Is there a cache or something to clear?   Again a manual would help.  I am on an Apple iPad mini2 and everything was shot with a Phantom 3 Pro. HELP!!!
2017-2-26
Use props
DemolitionMan14
First Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

A user manual in pdf would be nice for documentation purposes for those of use who fly under Part 107.  Some of the larger corporations ask for manuals and product specs of any and all equipment that you are using onsite.
2017-3-23
Use props
fans6d01ce44
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43960 ft
United States

Can't believe what I am reading about lack of manual So? Where is the manual with the iPhones? Nothing now days (almost) has a manual. It's not worth committing to paper because the apps change so often. I remember the days that manuals came with everything. Nobody read them. Who needs a manual? DJI could always remove all the ability to set anything and that  would be simple.  Be glad that the program allows you to modify it. I am 67 years old so if I can figure it out, anybody can. If you can't figure it out, google it. There is more info on the Mavic than is. Ended to find out everything about it. Thanks DJI for such an awesome product!!!
2017-4-11
Use props
BobDumon
lvl.1
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2015-8-10 17:34
I wish there were one as well... I cannot understand why produce a slick complicated program then provide no manual.

Butch

Totally agree.  I have a Mavic Pro and have to sort through a bunch of hit and miss YouTube videos to find out how to adjust the speed of the sticks, e.g., slow down the acceleration of actions so I can use them smoothly and not jerk around with the video.  Get us a written manual with an index please.
2017-5-17
Use props
Helmar Joe Joha
New

United States

BobDumon Posted at 2017-5-17 07:00
Totally agree.  I have a Mavic Pro and have to sort through a bunch of hit and miss YouTube videos to find out how to adjust the speed of the sticks, e.g., slow down the acceleration of actions so I can use them smoothly and not jerk around with the video.  Get us a written manual with an index please.

I am old school, I like something printed whereas I can make notes.
I have tied making notes after watching the youtube videos but its not the same, at all.

You boys need to get on the stick here and either charge for the DJI Go 4 app and have a manual or, I am not interested.
I just found the Litchi app for $23 bucks and for me, its worth the money if I have something I can read on paper instead of on line.

I agree with others, everyone else is doing your work by putting out the youtube instructions.

I can only hope enough people will start bitching and the word gets to the right people to get this problem solved.
2017-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules