Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI AVATA Fix
12Next >
7900 59 2022-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

Considering the DJI Avata problem with fast turn what is your choice?
Single SelectVote, Total 47 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

6.38% (3)
53.19% (25)
40.43% (19)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-10-11
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Normal and sport mode until they fix it...
2022-10-11
Use props
UAVin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300502 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Holding off purchase until all issues have been ironed out.  Too much bad press at moment..
2022-10-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mat8861. Thank your reaching out and for creating this post. The DJI Avata has an onboard propeller guard, which enhances the safety performance but adds certain resistance when the DJI Drone fly sideward. Provided that the DJI Drone does a sharp turn in strong wind or sideways emergence brake whilst in flight, those movements will incur attitude errors. Considering the scenarios, kindly please fly with caution. Thank you.
2022-10-11
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1702457 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can do fast turns, but they have to involve Yaw, Roll and Pitch, not a full hard stick YAW.
2022-10-12
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

I tried to get my Avata into tumble, but it wouldn't.
Am I a good pilot? Or am I lucky with a good working drone? Maybe I didn't push too hard?

At least I'm still confident to fly manual.

2022-10-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Woobisah Posted at 10-12 07:32
You can do fast turns, but they have to involve Yaw, Roll and Pitch, not a full hard stick YAW.

I’d call that a skill…
2022-10-12
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

Killerbee Posted at 10-12 12:20
I tried to get my Avata into tumble, but it wouldn't.
Am I a good pilot? Or am I lucky with a good working drone? Maybe I didn't push too hard?

Those are pretty soft yaw turns though
2022-10-12
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

yeah, you are very slow turning and also think your camera angle isnt that high hand have lower speeds
2022-10-12
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

CappyA330 Posted at 10-12 14:42
Those are pretty soft yaw turns though

Gyroflow makes the turns look softer.

Anyways, it gave me enough confidence to just go out and fly.
The way I fly my whoop probably won't get me in any trouble.
2022-10-12
Use props
fans7b22832e
lvl.2
Italy

I don't think there is an issue. Even with a powerfull 5inch racing quad you can experience weird behaviors if you perform harsh and bad manoeuvres. FPV is all about flow and smooth flying.
I flown my Avata at 2000m with strong wind but I didn't experienced anything strange

Probably the default rates are too fast... even for super-expert-pro pilots!!. Just lowering from 650deg/s to 300deg/s can make you smoother and less prone to harsh manoeuvres.

2022-10-13
Use props
Ross14
lvl.4
Czechia

fans7b22832e Posted at 10-13 05:38
I don't think there is an issue. Even with a powerfull 5inch racing quad you can experience weird behaviors if you perform harsh and bad manoeuvres. FPV is all about flow and smooth flying.
I flown my Avata at 2000m with strong wind but I didn't experienced anything strange
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2wI9CTozx4

I am blown away by your beautiful and smooth flight, great!
2022-10-13
Use props
stenr
lvl.2
Italy

If you experienced a crash try this rate:
Roll 50 350 0.50
Pitch 50 350 0.50
Yaw 50 350 0.25

N and S rates are very smooth and slow compared to the default Manual rates (switching from N/S to M could be hard if you are not used to fly in acro).
2022-10-13
Use props
stenr
lvl.2
Italy

Ross14 Posted at 10-13 06:52
I am blown away by your beautiful and smooth flight, great!

Thanks
2022-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think your video shows you are an excellent FPV pilot, but also shows whats possible and just how good the Avata can be “in the right hands” thank you…
2022-10-13
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

4:  Learn to Fly
2022-11-4
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

All I can say is this:

2022-11-5
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Someone I know who's not on this forum pointed out to me that while the Avata is an FPV drone, it's not quite designed for acro the same way custom-built acro drones are. That sort of makes sense to me - if I fly it to get FPV-style flight videos, I think it does the job decently enough, and I haven't the competence myself to fly in manual. Props to @fans7b22832e for his amazing flying
2022-11-6
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193967 ft
Italy

Ken-W Posted at 11-6 00:32
Someone I know who's not on this forum pointed out to me that while the Avata is an FPV drone, it's not quite designed for acro the same way custom-built acro drones are. That sort of makes sense to me - if I fly it to get FPV-style flight videos, I think it does the job decently enough, and I haven't the competence myself to fly in manual. Props to @fans7b22832e for his amazing flying

You are right, the problem is, you are not going to sell a worlwide product that everyone can buy with a such problem. Just imagine your avata while doing a yaw turn above the head of a person or above cars... i experienced that when the drone makes this issue, it speeds flipping side down to the ground 450gr + speed + gravity = Someone could get hurt seriously

In any case, I did send my dji avata to dji, and they told me that they are working on that, and that i have to turn slow in manual until "maybe" they fix it. So sad for that
2022-11-7
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1655138 ft
Hong Kong

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-11 23:54
Hello there Mat8861. Thank your reaching out and for creating this post. The DJI Avata has an onboard propeller guard, which enhances the safety performance but adds certain resistance when the DJI Drone fly sideward. Provided that the DJI Drone does a sharp turn in strong wind or sideways emergence brake whilst in flight, those movements will incur attitude errors. Considering the scenarios, kindly please fly with caution. Thank you.

so you mean the "sideways emergence brake" will create problem due to the product design, our movement and the environment condition?
But the "sideways emergence brake" is a safe to users who have lost control to the drone.
Does it we can't even use "sideways emergence brake" under the condition you said coz it will create even more problem?
2022-11-7
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

Any custom drone would never do something like that ( i do own some ), it is ok prop washout, it is okay shaking, it is ok vibration, but what is not okay, is the fact that when the error comes, the drone will not respond to any command for the time of the error. That means, when the drone do a fast yaw turn from forward to go backwards it will flip side down for a short time, in this short time you cannot do nothing, no commands at all, which this short time is enough to touch the ground if you are at least 10 meters high, if you are at 20meters high you will be able to recover it before it crashes.
2022-11-7
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

arkchan Posted at 11-7 05:09
so you mean the "sideways emergence brake" will create problem due to the product design, our movement and the environment condition?
But the "sideways emergence brake" is a safe to users who have lost control to the drone.
Does it we can't even use "sideways emergence brake" under the condition you said coz it will create even more problem?

Well, not really like that. The problem occurs in any condition ( I experienced that multiple times with mine ). Wind or no wind, the problem occurs when you do a very fast yaw turn. For example you go very fast forward and than you do a fast yaw turn to go backwards, when you do that, the drone flips side down and speeds to the ground for a second or about 10 meters. If you push the emergency brake button in this case, will not work.
2022-11-7
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

Maybe this video will help a lot of people who don't understand that this is an error.
Ps. I know pretty much every video present on youtube about this issue.

This guy in this video shows how many times the dji avata go into this error. And for those who say to other people "learn to fly", they probably fly only forward with a mavic.
If this people that say that, don't know what PID is and don't know how to build a drone from 0, they should never talk. Please, if you are not a "REAL" expert, don't reply to any post about this error.
2022-11-7
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Jaydem_ks Posted at 11-7 06:58
Maybe this video will help a lot of people who don't understand that this is an error.
Ps. I know pretty much every video present on youtube about this issue.

Nice vid.
some people say avata is not designed for this fast movement... seriously? the vid shows even not  extreme move but only normal move for a cinewhoop, the problem is still happening, and frequently.

If you say avata is not designed for that, then we can only conclude that Avata is kinda disappointing cinewhoop which is not capable to do normal move then...

However, i think Avata is capable to do such movement but somehow the firmware has problem...
So I hope DJI would not disappoint us and fix the issue soon!
2022-11-7
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Not buying one till DJI has fixed this....
2022-11-8
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Jaydem_ks Posted at 11-7 04:58
You are right, the problem is, you are not going to sell a worlwide product that everyone can buy with a such problem. Just imagine your avata while doing a yaw turn above the head of a person or above cars... i experienced that when the drone makes this issue, it speeds flipping side down to the ground 450gr + speed + gravity = Someone could get hurt seriously

In any case, I did send my dji avata to dji, and they told me that they are working on that, and that i have to turn slow in manual until "maybe" they fix it. So sad for that

I'd have to agree with you on this - the fact that the Avata can be used with the FPV RC2 would imply that DJI should ensure that such in-flight movements do not cause the drone to crash.

I believe this can be solved with a firmware update, and you are definitely right that this introduces safety issues if it falls out of the sky and lands on a person or vehicle. (That said, some may argue about UAV laws prohibiting flight over people...)

At this point in time, I wouldn't consider the Avata for acro moves. In fact, after reading about these flight concerns, I'd be worried flying my Avata into any area which I cannot access (e.g. canyons, mountaintops) even with the Motion Controller.  But that's just me
2022-11-9
Use props
Ken-W
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Jaydem_ks Posted at 11-7 06:58
Ps. I know pretty much every video present on youtube about this issue.

I have to say this guy has good skills to catch it when it's lost control!
2022-11-9
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

BadBert Posted at 11-8 03:14
Not buying one till DJI has fixed this....

Guess you won’t be buying one then.  They can’t fix physics and bad flying.
2022-11-12
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Woobisah Posted at 11-12 22:59
Guess you won’t be buying one then.  They can’t fix physics and bad flying.

they dont need to fix physics, they confessed malfunction mainboard issue happens in Avata, they just need to fix their product
2022-11-12
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Woobisah Posted at 11-12 22:59
Guess you won’t be buying one then.  They can’t fix physics and bad flying.

what @arkchan says....

you can keep saying there is nothing wrong with the avata, but there IS something wrong with it.

As said in other topics and by a lot of other pilots with cinewhoops: as bad as it is on the avata is NOT normal....
2022-11-13
Use props
stenr
lvl.2
Italy

Jaydem_ks Posted at 11-7 06:50
Any custom drone would never do something like that ( i do own some ), it is ok prop washout, it is okay shaking, it is ok vibration, but what is not okay, is the fact that when the error comes, the drone will not respond to any command for the time of the error. That means, when the drone do a fast yaw turn from forward to go backwards it will flip side down for a short time, in this short time you cannot do nothing, no commands at all, which this short time is enough to touch the ground if you are at least 10 meters high, if you are at 20meters high you will be able to recover it before it crashes.

I had this "tumble" once. I was about 1 meter to the ground and I performed a very fast bad turn to keep a subject in frame but when the tumble happend I just  throttle up and used the roll and pitch stick to recover the avata without crashing. To me this "tumble" is like a very strong propwash becouse of the avata size and props. Of course if it happen to a begginger it's tragic... but with some experience you can manage these situation by instinct.
2022-11-18
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought the AVATA for cinematic fun flying not for hard freestyle moves.... for them I use the Nazgul or my emax babyhawk hd
2022-11-18
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

stenr Posted at 11-18 00:44
I had this "tumble" once. I was about 1 meter to the ground and I performed a very fast bad turn to keep a subject in frame but when the tumble happend I just  throttle up and used the roll and pitch stick to recover the avata without crashing. To me this "tumble" is like a very strong propwash becouse of the avata size and props. Of course if it happen to a begginger it's tragic... but with some experience you can manage these situation by instinct.

Yeah, at the end when you understand when the issue comes you will be able to recover it. Does not change the fact that this issue is dangerous even if you can recover it in time. We don't have to forget that this drone is sold as "Safe drone for everyone", so, the safety even in this case is a "MUST" in my opinion
2022-11-18
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

Ken-W Posted at 11-9 23:00
I'd have to agree with you on this - the fact that the Avata can be used with the FPV RC2 would imply that DJI should ensure that such in-flight movements do not cause the drone to crash.

I believe this can be solved with a firmware update, and you are definitely right that this introduces safety issues if it falls out of the sky and lands on a person or vehicle. (That said, some may argue about UAV laws prohibiting flight over people...)

When i sent my avata back to dji, they called me back days after to explain me the problem ( Which is the same problem i explained them into the issue description of the repair ticket ), and they told me that they are working on this issue, but is still hard to fix because of the design of the drone, so in the meanwhile they told me "to turn slow" if i want go forward and then backwards ( Which i found a very useless advice ).

As i already replied to someone else, this drone is sold as "safe drone for everyone", which is not at the moment.

Anyway, a drone not designed for something does not mean that can't do something. I saw someone who pushed the mavic into acro mode and made powerloops and roll loops on that, very bad powerloops of course because is absolutly not designed for that, but still freestyling better than the avata
2022-11-18
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

arkchan Posted at 11-7 21:47
Nice vid.
some people say avata is not designed for this fast movement... seriously? the vid shows even not  extreme move but only normal move for a cinewhoop, the problem is still happening, and frequently.

The avata, without this issue, could do almost everything. Maybe you cannot dive and then stop it at 2 meters from the ground in full power, but with nice skills you can do it.
2022-11-18
Use props
Jaydem_ks
lvl.2
Italy

stenr Posted at 11-18 00:44
I had this "tumble" once. I was about 1 meter to the ground and I performed a very fast bad turn to keep a subject in frame but when the tumble happend I just  throttle up and used the roll and pitch stick to recover the avata without crashing. To me this "tumble" is like a very strong propwash becouse of the avata size and props. Of course if it happen to a begginger it's tragic... but with some experience you can manage these situation by instinct.

I add. Sometime is so strong the flip that even if you are god, it will crash. And i repeat, this drone is designed for "unexperienced people", is sold as "safe drone for everyone".
2022-11-18
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

arkchan Posted at 11-12 23:49
they dont need to fix physics, they confessed malfunction mainboard issue happens in Avata, they just need to fix their product

They never confirmed anything.  You watched some Youtube video that didn't involve DJI.  Keep waiting for it though,  maybe you'll be all set for the Avata 2
2022-11-22
Use props
Woobisah
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jaydem_ks Posted at 11-18 03:44
I add. Sometime is so strong the flip that even if you are god, it will crash. And i repeat, this drone is designed for "unexperienced people", is sold as "safe drone for everyone".

You should learn to fly or stay in Normal/Sport mode.  Manual is not for the inexperienced.
2022-11-22
Use props
Elendil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 458904 ft
Philippines

Don't wait for DJI to fix the DJI AVATA. Switch with GEPRC CINEBOT 30 with DJI 03 AIR UNIT. Same camera quality you can even use your dji goggles and RC2 but with no flipping issues unlike with DJI AVATA where it won't let you fly the way you want it to be.
20221123_084004.jpg
2022-11-22
Use props
arkchan
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Woobisah Posted at 11-22 16:50
They never confirmed anything.  You watched some Youtube video that didn't involve DJI.  Keep waiting for it though,  maybe you'll be all set for the Avata 2

they did, many emails and responds from DJI already. Hope you read other posts as well
2022-11-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules