Action 2 - Magnetic Case useless?
1384 11 2022-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxime Bermond
lvl.3
Italy

Hi, I have for a few days now the Action 2 Power Combo with magnetic case. I live in Europe and there is no High Temperature mode available (there is only Standard mode). I've noticed that both with the magnetic cover and without, the duration provided by the Action 2 does not change. For example at 4K@120 fps the expected recording time is 6 minutes (with the power module attached). Starting recording (indoor) then does not go beyond 2 minutes because the camera shuts down due to overheating. I basically don't understand what the magnetic case is for if nothing changes. Does this happen to anyone else as well? Any suggestions? Thank you very much.

2022-10-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm what firmware version are you at right now? In addition, after you install/mount the Magnetic case, did you receive a prompt on the camera unit that says "Magnetic Protective Case Installed"? Is this issue occurs when shooting outdoor? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-10-16
Use props
Maxime Bermond
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-16 19:58
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm what firmware version are you at right now? In addition, after you install/mount the Magnetic case, did you receive a prompt on the camera unit that says "Magnetic Protective Case Installed"? Is this issue occurs when shooting outdoor? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Hi Paladin, these are the firmware versions:

Firmware

Camera Firmware

Battery Module Firmware

Yes, when I turn on the cam I display the prompt "Magnetic Protective Case Installed". Although a few times it didn't happen, and in the options there was also High Temperature Mode that you could turn on (I live in Europe). Then I did a factory reset and I connected the cam to the DJI Mimo app, so the situation was restored. Sometimes however, with the Power Module plugged in, the prompt still does not show up and I only see for a moment a red line on the sd card symbol in the upper left corner. This does not affect the expected recording time however and the camera works normally.

I have not yet had a chance to try the Action 2 outdoors; I received it a few days ago.

The strange thing is that I display the same time of approx recording duration (when 25° C) if the magnetic case is installed that or that is not installed. In addition, the actual recording sometimes time turns out to be much shorter than expected because of the overheating (during recording I keep the display off). The approx recording time changes only if I disconnect the Power Module (it halves more or less).

Could you tell me if these expected recording times (Standard Temperature mode) with Magnetic Case and with Power Module attached are correct, please?

1080p@60 - approx 14 min
1080p@240 - approx 11 min
4K@60 - approx 9 min
4K@120 - approx 6 min

I checked even now, if I remove the Magnetic Case these predicted times do not change at all.

Thank you very much.

***ADD***

I just did two indoor recording tests (temp 24° C) at 4K@120 and RockSteady stabilization:

WITH Magnetic Case + Power Module: 6 min 08 sec
WITHOUT Magnetic Case + Power Module: 6 min 09 sec

Sorry, but for me the Magnetic Case does not give any benefit in recording time at all. I'm disappointed about this. I purchased Action 2 after reading that overheating problems had been solved with the Magnetic Case.

2022-10-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Maxime Bermond Posted at 10-16 23:25
Hi Paladin, these are the firmware versions:

Firmware

Thank you for your response and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused.  In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-10-18
Use props
Maxime Bermond
lvl.3
Italy

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-18 02:08
Thank you for your response and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused.  In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Hi Paladin, I bought it on Amazon, I am considering a return. However, I often don't get the "Magnetic Protective Case Installed" prompt, I have to bring something magnetic near the top of the camera to display it when it doesn't appear automatically. Any suggestions? Thank you.
2022-10-19
Use props
jhoff80
lvl.4
United States

Worse than useless, as far as I'm concerned.  It makes the camera mount less securely and caused damage to my camera.
2022-10-19
Use props
Maxime Bermond
lvl.3
Italy

jhoff80 Posted at 10-19 08:39
Worse than useless, as far as I'm concerned.  It makes the camera mount less securely and caused damage to my camera.

Another anomalous thing: I did an indoor test with the cam on a tripod on a desk at 4K@25 + Power Module + RockSteady Stabilization: WITH the Magnetic Case it overheats after 26/27 min. WITHOUT Magnetic Case now it is still recording after 60 min. I stopped it, no overheating. As if the case makes the cam heat up even more, without bringing any benefit. Is it possible that the Magnetic Case is only effective if you can select High Temperature mode? All European consumers are excluded from solving the problem? Nonsense
2022-10-19
Use props
Zarkost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66739 ft
Serbia

I have bought Action 2 in Serbia (Europe), and I have option to select "High temperature" mode. It is a strange that some of peisces have possibility for High temperature mode, and some not. I assume that is software based thing. If it is, DJI should fix it through software update, in my opinion.
2022-10-24
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Zarkost Posted at 10-24 00:23
I have bought Action 2 in Serbia (Europe), and I have option to select "High temperature" mode. It is a strange that some of peisces have possibility for High temperature mode, and some not. I assume that is software based thing. If it is, DJI should fix it through software update, in my opinion.

My understanding is that there are EU regulations that limit how hot to the touch an appliance can get, which is why the high temperature mode is unavailable in most European countries. Maybe Serbia allows for the "hotter" setting.
2022-10-24
Use props
Zarkost
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66739 ft
Serbia

fish sticks Posted at 10-24 00:50
My understanding is that there are EU regulations that limit how hot to the touch an appliance can get, which is why the high temperature mode is unavailable in most European countries. Maybe Serbia allows for the "hotter" setting.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Serbia is not a member of EU, so maybe it is explaining things.
2022-10-24
Use props
Maxime Bermond
lvl.3
Italy

Zarkost Posted at 10-24 01:52
Yeah, maybe you're right. Serbia is not a member of EU, so maybe it is explaining things.

Yes. In EU there is only Standard Temperature mode.
2022-10-24
Use props
NanaEnter666
lvl.1
Romania

Hi I have the same situation as Maxime Bermond, I live in Europe and bought and installed the Magnetic Case cover in order to have access to high temp recording and the problem is that this is not available for selection. even the protective case is detected by showing the prompted text on camera power on. So to understand for Europe Camera version this is more like a cosmetic and protective case than functional one ?!
2023-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules