Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Still turning off VPS even with 1.3.2?
1707 15 2015-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bradneal24
lvl.4
United States

Are most people still turning VPS off as a rule, even with the improvements in 1.3.2?

I does help with softer landings, but that's about it when flying outdoors.
2015-8-11
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

I would definitely turn it off over water.  Otherwise I leave it on.
2015-8-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I have Never turned mine off, not even in practice.
Yeah, I  Just got lucky with an awesome Phantom. Never a problem, concern, or error.

It's too bad, everyone hadn't the same wonderful exeriences. Such an incredible model.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-11
Use props
hundleton1
Captain
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i had really bad VPS issues but all resolved in 1.3 so all good.
2015-8-11
Use props
Superfantastic
First Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

issues i had before are gone with 1.3.2 with vps back on
2015-8-11
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

i wish you could make a c1/v2 button toggle  vps
2015-8-11
Use props
dlongcamp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michael M Posted at 2015-8-12 04:44
i wish you could make a c1/v2 button toggle  vps

That would be very cool.   
2015-8-11
Use props
Skater67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Works great with new firmware and its fun to hover low to the ground while maneuvering.
2015-8-11
Use props
Rigworker
First Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-12 03:30
I have Never turned mine off, not even in practice.
Yeah, I  Just got lucky with an awesome Phantom. ...

Agreed. I have never turned my VPS off except to test what it would do without it on.  My Phantom has been pretty well trouble free. My only minor problem has been with the pilot app.
2015-8-11
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.4

Seems to behave a lot better than 1.2.8 (P3A in my case) when using the new firmware..  

Although I did turn it off again after trying it post the upgrade, not for any particular reason mind you, just because. :-)
2015-8-11
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.4
United States

Cool! thanks for all the feedback.

One more question... I still have yet to muster the courage to take mine over water. But, I live on the Mississippi river, so it' inevitable. But as it relates to being over water, does it only become confused at close proximity to the water, or even at say, a couple hundred feet?

Thanks,
Brad
2015-8-12
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.4

United States

Hey Brad - I believe it is perfectly safe now, especially in P modes with GPS outdoors. After all, the VPS is just for/engages at relatively low altitudes anyway (that's right, isn't it?) and I have seen A LOT of over-the-water videos using the P3 that were super stable. In other words, at the heights you use the P3 most of the time (including over water), you and your aircraft sensors are relying much more on other systems like GPS, gyros, accelerometers, etc.

Pretty sure the firmware lets those systems trump VPS at height.
2015-8-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.4
United States

ArialLens,
That's kind of what I thought. Just don't want to learn anything the hard way if I don't have to! ;-)

Thanks,
Brad
2015-8-12
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.3

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-13 00:03
Hey Brad - I believe it is perfectly safe now, especially in P modes with GPS outdoors. After all, t ...

I have always left mine on, the VPS is only used if you are less than about 15 feet or so, any higher and it does not matter/not being used. So flying with any kind of altitude it should be fine over water.

Alan
2015-8-12
Use props
Daninho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I turned it off and will never turn it on again i think because i rarely or better said i never fly indors. It will just waste energy when its turned on and keep it simple is sometimes better. I also set braking to the lowest setting, i dont like the behaviour of active braking.
2015-8-12
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.3

Netherlands

I'll olso turn the VPS off, it will give my a aditional 3/4 minutes more flying time, and i will never fly indoors, above 15" the VPS does not work at all so why would you keep it on?
By the way Daninho, where can i find the settings for active breaking?
2015-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules