12Next >
8400 45 2022-10-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dark Horse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175276 ft
United States

I'm considering getting a second drone, I'm torn between the mini 3 pro or the Air 2s, any reccomendations? I would love to hear your experiences!
Single SelectVote, Total 37 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

64.86% (24)
35.14% (13)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2022-10-23
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Reasons for Air 2S -bigger, easier to see, more powerful, great camera, good battery life, small enough to carry anywhere, can add extras(lights, skids etc.) without worrying about weight limits.
Mini 3 "Pro" - under 250 grams(any add-ons bring weight over 250 grams) Good camera, decent battery life with standard battery, in my opinion, it's mainly a gimick drone.
2022-10-23
Use props
Gremlin17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2354931 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I voted mini 3 pro. You can fly in more places, with very little loss of performance. If you are not worried about the places you can and cannot fly in, the Air 2S is a better drone.
2022-10-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dark Horse. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional information I will post a DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ndsite&from=nav ) where in can compare the specifications of the DJI Air 2S to the DJI Mini 3 Pro and with other DJI Consumer Drones as well. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

2022-10-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 3 pro,    lighter for carrying and can fly many more places,  especially if you plan on travelling.  
2022-10-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A <250g drone is my only choice right now.
2022-10-23
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

When you will consider Mini 3 Pro, consider also that they made a mess with the camera assembly...as a lot of people here that live in cold environment is having condensation problems INSIDE lenses...
So you can get a ruined vacation very easy...as the lenses start fogging not when you get the drone outside, but when you start to fly, in a matter of 20-30 seconds...
For safer and better video quality go to Air2S without doubts...For small drone, still there are issues with Mini 3 and Nano+, Mini 3 have this stupid lens issue that is hardware, Nano+ have issues with strong winds and tracking...
Good luck.
2022-10-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really depends on what you will use it primarily for.  The Air 2S is a much more capable drone and handles the winds much better than the Mini 3.  
2022-10-24
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What do you have now?
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Mini-G Posted at 10-24 04:43
What do you have now?

I currently have the Mavic Mini, which as you probably know, is their entry level model. I am happy with it overall, but want more. I have been thinking about the Air 2s since it came out then the mini 3 Pro arrived and I wondered if it was a good compromise.
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-24 02:46
Really depends on what you will use it primarily for.  The Air 2S is a much more capable drone and handles the winds much better than the Mini 3.

I only use my mini for simple things but would like to do more. For instance we have a race track literally around the corner, I'd love to get permission to fly over the cars and record that at night. Something I can't even consider with the mini, it can't fly after dark.
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-23 22:42
When you will consider Mini 3 Pro, consider also that they made a mess with the camera assembly...as a lot of people here that live in cold environment is having condensation problems INSIDE lenses...
So you can get a ruined vacation very easy...as the lenses start fogging not when you get the drone outside, but when you start to fly, in a matter of 20-30 seconds...
For safer and better video quality go to Air2S without doubts...For small drone, still there are issues with Mini 3 and Nano+, Mini 3 have this stupid lens issue that is hardware, Nano+ have issues with strong winds and tracking...

Thank you for the heads up on that, no, I never read or heard anything about the camera issues and yes, it cold here for a good portion of the year.
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-23 22:40
A

I'm sorry to hear that your choices sre limited but happy for you that you can fly!
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-23 22:33
Mini 3 pro,    lighter for carrying and can fly many more places,  especially if you plan on travelling.

Well, yes, we would like to travel again. 10 years ago we went to Scotland, (I didn't have a Drone at that point), that would have been some beautiful country to record, so much breathtaking scenery!
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-23 19:30
Hello there Dark Horse. Good day and thank you for reaching out. For additional information I will post a DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones?site=brandsite&from=nav ) where in can compare the specifications of the DJI Air 2S to the DJI Mini 3 Pro and with other DJI Consumer Drones as well. Again, thank you for your support and keep flying.

[view_image]

Thank you for that link.
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Gremlin17 Posted at 10-23 13:14
I voted mini 3 pro. You can fly in more places, with very little loss of performance. If you are not worried about the places you can and cannot fly in, the Air 2S is a better drone.

Thank you, I'm not worried about where I can fly, we live out in the wilds of our state, and so much open country. I have been leaning towards the Air 2s for so long, that's most likely the way I'll go!
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-23 12:53
Reasons for Air 2S -bigger, easier to see, more powerful, great camera, good battery life, small enough to carry anywhere, can add extras(lights, skids etc.) without worrying about weight limits.
Mini 3 "Pro" - under 250 grams(any add-ons bring weight over 250 grams) Good camera, decent battery life with standard battery, in my opinion, it's mainly a gimick drone.

Thank you for your insight! Kind of confirms my leanings, again, thank you!
2022-10-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dark Horse Posted at 10-24 05:54
Well, yes, we would like to travel again. 10 years ago we went to Scotland, (I didn't have a Drone at that point), that would have been some beautiful country to record, so much breathtaking scenery!

Something else to consider is that the Mavic 3 Classic is due to launch soon and it may replace the Air2S in the line up.
2022-10-24
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Travel with the Mini 3 is convenient and might also have less regulations overseas. Took it to Switzerland recently and was just picture perfect using it there.
2022-10-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dark Horse Posted at 10-24 05:52
I'm sorry to hear that your choices sre limited but happy for you that you can fly!

Yeah, thanks to the regulations (I don't mind them, but sometimes it is a pity)
2022-10-24
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8984337 ft
United Kingdom

Duplicate reply
2022-10-24
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8984337 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I’ve owned the Air2S for 15months and also own the m3 pro for 3-4 weeks.I voted air2S as it's amazing. Camera better, wind flying better better lights and stay on when recording and solid built.
I purchased the m3 pro to use where I can't fly my air2S. It's a great drone but already noticed the video quality especially in zoom is not as good and also notice it doesn't stay as steady in the wind.
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Dou6ie Posted at 10-24 08:13
Hi, I’ve owned the Air2S for 15months and also own the m3 pro for 3-4 weeks.I voted air2S as it's amazing. Camera better, wind flying better better lights and stay on when recording and solid built.
I purchased the m3 pro to use where I can't fly my air2S. It's a great drone but already noticed the video quality especially in zoom is not as good and also notice it doesn't stay as steady in the wind.

Thanks man! That's quite a recommendation right there, having them both to compare for yourself, and passing that info along... Very helpful!
2022-10-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You’ll probably find those owning one or other will opt for that one. I own both and if you’re looking for newest tech mini3, it has most of what you need in a drone and is packing as much as the air2s. But the air2s has a one inch sensor so good photographers will get a bit more from this.
If you want a drone that will fit in socially then its the mini3 . Both great drones, just depends what you want it for.
One thing to remember is djirc is a great bonus.
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Thank you for your insight! What is djirc?
2022-10-24
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-24 14:30
You’ll probably find those owning one or other will opt for that one. I own both and if you’re looking for newest tech mini3, it has most of what you need in a drone and is packing as much as the air2s. But the air2s has a one inch sensor so good photographers will get a bit more from this.
If you want a drone that will fit in socially then its the mini3 . Both great drones, just depends what you want it for.
One thing to remember is djirc is a great bonus.
Thank you for your insight! What is djirc?
2022-10-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dark Horse Posted at 10-24 15:33
Thank you for your insight! What's is djirc?

Its the remote control you get with the mini 3 combo and its a huge bonus for flying small dji craft. Definitely a deal breaker.
2022-10-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Dark Horse Posted at 10-24 05:55
Thank you for that link.

Hi there Dark Horse. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Keep flying and have a nice day. .
2022-10-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have to agree with Hallmark - you can purchase the DJI RC controller with in-built screen with the Mini 3 Pro, and that controller is (currently) not compatible with the Air 2S. That said, there's a risk that DJI could leave that controller behind sometime in the future because only they can update it to the most recent versions of the Fly app. Hallmark will concur with the fact this is what happened with the Phantom 4 Pro+ controller.

That said, I bought the Mini 3 Pro to take with me to Europe recently. I had no problems with flying it there being a Class 0 drone. The quality of video and photo is awesome for it's size, and it offers a range of newer software features also. The Air 2S has wider sensor coverage for avoidance, and would be a little more stable in higher winds (mainly as it's heavier). My only concern with the Air 2S is that it's been on the market for a while now, and it's likely now to be a lower priority for firmware updates than the Mini 3 Pro.

Tough call really - the controller may be the deciding point if you want that, along with the currency of firmware.
2022-10-24
Use props
rpguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5738396 ft
United States

Voted for the Mini 3 Pro.  I own both. Rumor has it that the DJI RC will be compatible with Air2s by the end of October. Having the DJI RC allows you to start flying so much faster. I like the 4x zoom on the Air2s, but you can't use the 4x zoom for taking photos. 4x zoom is only available for video on the Air2s.

2022-10-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dark Horse Posted at 10-24 05:50
I only use my mini for simple things but would like to do more. For instance we have a race track literally around the corner, I'd love to get permission to fly over the cars and record that at night. Something I can't even consider with the mini, it can't fly after dark.

I use a Skydio 2+ for filming my grandson racing his gokart and motorcycle.  It's without a doubt the best sport's tracking drone available at this time.  
2022-10-25
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 10-24 20:52
I have to agree with Hallmark - you can purchase the DJI RC controller with in-built screen with the Mini 3 Pro, and that controller is (currently) not compatible with the Air 2S. That said, there's a risk that DJI could leave that controller behind sometime in the future because only they can update it to the most recent versions of the Fly app. Hallmark will concur with the fact this is what happened with the Phantom 4 Pro+ controller.

That said, I bought the Mini 3 Pro to take with me to Europe recently. I had no problems with flying it there being a Class 0 drone. The quality of video and photo is awesome for it's size, and it offers a range of newer software features also. The Air 2S has wider sensor coverage for avoidance, and would be a little more stable in higher winds (mainly as it's heavier). My only concern with the Air 2S is that it's been on the market for a while now, and it's likely now to be a lower priority for firmware updates than the Mini 3 Pro.
Thanks for your thoughts, yet they leave me with a at least one question. If things are working well with the Air 2s, and no more firmware updates come out, and I'm happy with it.... Would dji moving on and disregarding the Air 2s be a bad thing? I have the mini and I don't think I've ever updated the firmware, (because of Windows, they always mess things up when they "upgrade"). Thanks!
2022-10-25
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

2022-10-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dark Horse Posted at 10-25 07:30
Thanks for your thoughts, yet they leave me with a at least one question. If things are working well with the Air 2s, and no more firmware updates come out, and I'm happy with it.... Would dji moving on and disregarding the Air 2s be a bad thing? I have the mini and I don't think I've ever updated the firmware, (because of Windows, the always mess things up when the "upgrade"). Thanks!

That's a valid point, so long as all functions of the drone are operating to spec, and any issues with the  Air 2S should have been resolved by now. The only thing you'd be missing out on is future improvement of features, such as APAS and Master Shots, but again, if you're happy as it stands now...
2022-10-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

you may be lucky dji have just introduced FW to make dji RC compatible with Air2s although you will have to buy one separate .
2022-10-26
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 07:13
you may be lucky dji have just introduced FW to make dji RC compatible with Air2s although you will have to buy one separate .

Beat me to it! And on that basis, if the OP isn't concerned about flight restrictions, the Air 2S is an awesome little drone, and now that the RC is compatible it's a good pairing. Perhaps wait a little while to see if DJI offer both as a bundle?
2022-10-26
Use props
Dark Horse
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 10-26 07:13
you may be lucky dji have just introduced FW to make dji RC compatible with Air2s although you will have to buy one separate .

FW, Firm Ware? Also what advantage does the RC have over using my phone as controller?  I have an older dedicated phone for this purpose, I don't use my everyday phone.
2022-10-26
Use props
him7403
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374557 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I would get Mini 3 pro for weight restrictions.
If that doesn't matter then get the Air 2s.
2022-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dark Horse Posted at 10-26 15:34
FW, Firm Ware? Also what advantage does the RC have over using my phone as controller?  I have an older dedicated phone for this purpose, I don't use my everyday phone.

Well it depends how old are the phones.
Set up time is much longer, phones dont like conditions cold or hot, much bigger set up extra controls.
2022-10-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Punchbuggy Posted at 10-26 15:34
Beat me to it!  And on that basis, if the OP isn't concerned about flight restrictions, the Air 2S is an awesome little drone, and now that the RC is compatible it's a good pairing. Perhaps wait a little while to see if DJI offer both as a bundle?

It would be a very nice little bundle, also crashed mini owners wanting to sell dji rc ;+)
2022-10-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules