4694 15 2022-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Albion Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 2747100 ft
United Kingdom

Glenfinnan Viaduct and the Hogwarts Express

We had a great trip with Highland Adventures from Inverness, riding the Jacobite train from Fort Willam to Mallaig and over the Glenfinnan Viaduct before returning via bus to be able to see the train cross back over the Viaduct, however, a user error on the controls meant no footage of the train crossing the viaduct was captured - much to my great dismay - hence only the photos taken whilst on the train are available for this video... Perhaps one day we shall get another chance to see the train cross the viaduct and to film it...

The Glenfinnan Estate now operates a NO DRONES policy - nicely illustrated with a couple of drones nailed to the sign - however you can still overfly the area as long as you do not Take off and Land from their land and maintain Visual Line of Sight with your drone according to the Drone Code. Landowners do not control the airspace, and unless there is an active NOTAM from the CAA they cannot prevent overflight as long as the flight is completed according to Drone Code and complies with GDPR regulations.

We were unaware of this restriction prior to arriving, hence the footage we have is taken from a good distance away - complying with the landowner's request not to fly from their land - which several other fliers did not, I saw 2 other drones flying much closer to the viaduct. As hubby was sufferring with his hip I was on my own for this flight, and added to the restrictions I didnt feel I could fly any closer to the Viaduct, hence the footage is from a good distance away.

It is a shame that permission is now withdrawn as there used to be a very reasonable £10 Take off fee, but this has now been increased to a £1250 filming license, which is not sustainable for a hobby flier like ourselves.

2022-10-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
2022-10-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely footage.  Id heard about the £10 fee but Id hadnt heard that they withdrew it for a greedy 1250.   thats disgusting.
2022-10-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PS,   From your video I know realise the Loch Shiel was also in Harry Potter.
2022-10-31
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-31 08:03
PS,   From your video I know realise the Loch Shiel was also in Harry Potter.

Yup, Hogwarts is supposedly just over the hill on the RH side of the Loch... I did look, but didnt see it...
2022-10-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Albion Drones Posted at 10-31 08:30
Yup, Hogwarts is supposedly just over the hill on the RH side of the Loch... I did look, but didnt see it...

Darn it,  that would be epic to fly around.    Last time I was there it had snowed.

2022-10-31
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 10-31 08:34
Darn it,  that would be epic to fly around.    Last time I was there it had snowed.

[view_image]

Invisibility spell matey, they must have been down on the day you visited... Even the Hogwarts Express was invisible to the drone - or was it I didnt press the record button... Lol
2022-10-31
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice footage. I was there in April and saw the nailed drones. As the weather was bad I didn't get any usable footage.
2022-10-31
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 10-31 12:42
Nice footage. I was there in April and saw the nailed drones. As the weather was bad I didn't get any usable footage.

Yeah, they have the desired effect alright, seeing them produces a fear reflex - even though you know they cant 'shoot' them it still makes you pause...
2022-10-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovely compilation.    
2022-11-1
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Lovely scenes - even without the train
2022-11-1
Use props
djiuser_2xHZh5mztNUv
New

United Kingdom

So can I take off from the carpark? If not where can I TOAL?
2023-3-15
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

djiuser_2xHZh5mztNUv Posted at 3-15 08:14
So can I take off from the carpark? If not where can I TOAL?

You could take off from the beach, or anywhere that is public land... I walked down the path to the bridge form car park, and saw the sign, so retreated back over bridge and TOAL from there, meant I couldnt get too close, but got some good footage, just a shame I missed the train - didnt press record! Argh!
2023-3-15
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567815 ft
United Kingdom

Excellent video
2023-8-13
Use props
Albion Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you
2023-8-13
Use props
djiuser_NveIgxuimchI
New

United Kingdom

Hi looking at the OS  map of the area isnt there a PUBLIC footpath to and from the viaduct  which means if its a public footpath the landowner has no right to tell you not to launch a drone from there surley?
2-15 19:36
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules