910 4 2022-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ETK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277979 ft
United States

Hello.
I am using the DJI Mic in my church with the receiver directly connected to the soundboard to use with a live stream.  On occasion, while the speaker is speaking and moving around, the microphone will suddenly cause a loud popping sound.  I can also see the sound meter on the receiver jump when this happens.  After reviewing a video of the first time this happened, it seems that the speaker (who was wearing a suit and tie) was building up a static electricity charge and while moving the DJI mic touched his tie and that is when I heard the loud pop.  Assuming this was a static discharge problem, I started using the dead cat filter on the DJI Mic to isolate the microphone element from being contacted directly, and while this greatly reduced the number of incidents, the loud pop sound still happens occasionally.  To help with my testing, I started a local recording on the DJI Mic one time, and caught the microphone static pop.  When I played back the local DJI Mic recording, it seems that the safety track worked as expected and greatly reduced the pop, however it was still very loud coming live through the receiver, and could also be heard on the live stream recording.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so are there any suggestions beyond what I have already tried?  I really like this mic, and it's range and clarity have been great, but I think I will have to move away from using it unless I can cure what I believe is a static discharge issue.

Many thanks!

2022-10-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We are sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please send us sample footage showing the issue for us to check it here on our end? You may upload the files to Google drive or Youtube and send the link here. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-10-31
Use props
ETK
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-31 19:51
Hi there. We are sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please send us sample footage showing the issue for us to check it here on our end? You may upload the files to Google drive or Youtube and send the link here. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Thank you for your response.  Below are two clips of when the DJI Mic popping sound was generated (I had to use Dropbox since I has having issues with videos not uploading to Google Drive).  Please note that the popping sound was much louder in person that it appears on the recording.  Also note that in the first example, no dead cat filter was used, while I had it mounted in the second example.  I have also tried mounting the mic pointed towards the outside of the speaker, but this did not eliminate the problem. In general, the dead cat filter seems to help reduce the occurrences of the static pop, but does not completely eliminate it.

Each time the popping sound has been experienced, the speaker is generally moving in such a way that the mic is sliding across the fabric of his suit jacket and/or tie.  With the dead cat filter mounted, the static pop sounds generally occur once per approximately 45 minutes of use, sometimes twice.  It really seems to depend greatly on the amount of movement of the speaker, and generally this speaker does not move in a very animated way.  With that said, I still can't quite figure out where how or where the static may be building up and discharging since the mic is completely isolated from ground, but I guess it suggests that the suit fabric must be developing a static charge across different parts of the suit and the mic finds itself in the discharge path.

One more question I will ask about this issue.  If it is a static discharge issue, would there be any benefit in having the speaker stand on grounded anti-static mat?

Sample 1 (static pop at 00:12 mark)  https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gu83icl5wxpond/DJI%20Mic%20static%20discharge%20pop%20sample%201%20%28at%2012%20second%20mark%29.mp4?dl=0

Sample 2 (static pop at 00:05 mark)  https://www.dropbox.com/s/64fmplueunm5c2g/DJI%20Mic%20static%20discharge%20pop%20sample%202%20%28at%205%20second%20mark%29.mp4?dl=0

Thanks again for your assistance.
2022-11-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

ETK Posted at 11-1 03:08
Thank you for your response.  Below are two clips of when the DJI Mic popping sound was generated (I had to use Dropbox since I has having issues with videos not uploading to Google Drive).  Please note that the popping sound was much louder in person that it appears on the recording.  Also note that in the first example, no dead cat filter was used, while I had it mounted in the second example.  I have also tried mounting the mic pointed towards the outside of the speaker, but this did not eliminate the problem. In general, the dead cat filter seems to help reduce the occurrences of the static pop, but does not completely eliminate it.

Each time the popping sound has been experienced, the speaker is generally moving in such a way that the mic is sliding across the fabric of his suit jacket and/or tie.  With the dead cat filter mounted, the static pop sounds generally occur once per approximately 45 minutes of use, sometimes twice.  It really seems to depend greatly on the amount of movement of the speaker, and generally this speaker does not move in a very animated way.  With that said, I still can't quite figure out where how or where the static may be building up and discharging since the mic is completely isolated from ground, but I guess it suggests that the suit fabric must be developing a static charge across different parts of the suit and the mic finds itself in the discharge path.

Thank you for your response. Can you please remove the restriction on the link that you had posted for us to check it on our end? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-11-2
Use props
ETK
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-2 01:11
Thank you for your response. Can you please remove the restriction on the link that you had posted for us to check it on our end? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Hello, and sorry for the issues with the video links.  I'm not sure what failed with the Dropbox file permissions, so below are two new Google Drive links for the videos that hopefully will work better.

One other thing I forgot to mention earlier - the DJI Mic was the only audio source enabled at the sound board.  The pulpit mic seen in the video was muted, as was all other audio sources except the DJI Mic.

Sample 1 (static pop at 00:12 mark)  https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... view?usp=share_link

Sample 2 (static pop at 00:05 mark) https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... uY/view?usp=sharing
2022-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules