Choppy PC playback but smooth on iPad
3668 14 2015-8-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
teksashorns
lvl.1

United States

Hey all - am I missing something or is it normal to have choppy playback on a PC but it's perfectly smooth on the iPad.  I've changed from MOV to MP4, file size, SD cards etc and nothing changes the results.  Trying to edit with a more robust software on PC but the files all seem to be unusable given the quality.

Any ideas?  
2015-8-12
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

no it´s not normal to have choppy playback on a PC.
What program are you editing in ?
2015-8-12
Use props
lcajiga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145384 ft
United States

Seems to me the software you are using to edit is memory heavy and your PC either needs more RAM or a better CPU. Being there, done that
2015-8-12
Use props
supercrackmunke
lvl.1

United States

Try using a different video player and/or installing a codec pack. On my machines I can't get VLC to play the videos, but MPC-HC and "Movies and TV" (pre-installed with Windows 10) play just fine after installing the Combined Community Codec Pack (which includes MPC-HC).
2015-8-12
Use props
REBELimgs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46483 ft
United States

I'd guess your PC isn't up to task. It's either a software or hardware issue.
2015-8-12
Use props
teksashorns
lvl.1

United States

FYI, when playback is in QuickTime on anyone of 3 PC's it skips about every other second.  The main PC is a Corei7 with 12gb of RAM.  All three PC's show skipping in the same locations.  Editing the video with PowerDirector 13 show the same result.

It's almost as if it's writing the video with missing frames but yet streaming the correct footage to the device.  I don't notice during flight, nor during iPad playback.  It's only on PC.
I've used multiple cards (including original sent), MOV, MP4 format, reducing file size to 1080p, insuring proper frame rate is set etc.  Regardless of settings, the result is the same.

Should I re-install the latest firmware which unit and RC have been updated and running DJ Go App.  

Thanks in advance for any ideas.  
2015-8-12
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

thats true, you have to have a pretty powerful PC so you can play 4k video smoothly
2015-8-12
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Finland

playing 4 k on my comp relies on graphics card, I have two gtx 770 with total 3000 cores and it takes 25 % of there power to render  4 k at 70 Mps  just for playback smoothly, and does not really use the i7 over clocked hex core
I think ipad might downscale footage, or if you are watching from video cache its only 720 p
I know the gopro studio downscales 4kin auto as an option for smooth playback on lesser machines
2015-8-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

My guess is that your computer lacks the resources to handle even HD playback. What you are seeing on your iPad is 720, not 1080 or 4K. What are the spec's on your computer? Like how much RAM, what processor? Which video card?
2015-8-13
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Are you playing direct from the memory card?

I found it very choppy on some playback software. Quicktime was terrible, but Windows Media Player played fine.
2015-8-13
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Depends on your hardare and what resolution you are recording/playing. Google and you will find numerouse threads on this topic
2015-8-13
Use props
teksashorns
lvl.1

United States

Thanks guys...I just figured 12gb RAM and 4GB Gforce GTX would cut it but I'm checking all drivers etc to make sure.  
2015-8-13
Use props
gregorgmeyer
New

United States

I've been having the same problem. I've had my IT guys working on it as we are planning on using the Phantom 3 for pond and ditch inspections and the choppy playback is not acceptable. They are having the same problem with playback in their office. When they reach the solution, I'll let you know what they suggest.
2015-8-20
Use props
lb11778
lvl.2
Flight distance : 368842 ft
United States

When i upload to you tube the  video smooths out even when replaying at 1080p + . I would think its probably a software / driver issue i get choppy video as well when i replay on my gamer PC.
2015-8-20
Use props
jaapotto
lvl.2

Netherlands

Friend of mine had the same problem on his pc. Files shot with his drone and played on his PC were all choppy. Files shot with my drone and played on his PC played fine.
Turned out it was the recording setting "PAL" or "NTSC" that caused it. It was on NTSC on his drone. When he switched it to PAL.....all smooth

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wik ... /PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg
2015-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules