Am I blurry? Do I have a focus problem?
2965 23 2022-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fraagles
lvl.2
Poland

Hey everyone. Unfortunately, I also seem to have a focus problem. Am I blurry?
4K, 50 fps, wide, Rocksteady on, EV -0.3

2022-11-4
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The background is nice and sharp. (On an IPad) The flats behind you looked great. You’re on the edge of its depth of field I think.
I think they are in focus but don't focus quite as close as some other action cams. (Acceptable focus, that is, not actual focus)

I get exactly the same thing.
2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Would you please share the original videos and pictures for us? Also, please tell us your SN. Thanks.
2022-11-4
Use props
Fraagles
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-4 04:00
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. Would you please share the original videos and pictures for us? Also, please tell us your SN. Thanks.

Sure, no problem.
How can I send you the original video and the serial number of the camera?
2022-11-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Yours is sharp, don't bother about face and look at background that do matter. So you have a good copy.

2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Fraagles Posted at 11-4 04:04
Sure, no problem.
How can I send you the original video and the serial number of the camera?

Thanks for your reply. You may upload the materials to a cloud drive and share the link and SN with me in PM.
2022-11-4
Use props
BigTB
lvl.2
United States

I guess it depends on what you mean by problem.  There's only a problem if the performance isn't good enough for you.  If the camera does what you want with image quality that is satisfactory to you, then there's no problem.  If it doesn't meet your expectations or needs, then it could be a problem.  But whether that problem is technically a fault of the camera is more difficult to say for sure.  

It does look like your face isn't in "perfect" focus, which is apparently just the nature of this camera.  The close focus isn't quite what many were hoping for.  Some of the cameras also seem to have a slightly soft focus over the rest of the image as well, and yours seems okay in this regard, based only on this short video.  Overall, I don't think the video looks bad, but again, it's going to depend on you.  If you are satisfied with image quality, I wouldn't worry.
2022-11-4
Use props
Fraagles
lvl.2
Poland

johansenfoto Posted at 11-4 04:04
Yours is sharp, don't bother about face and look at background that do matter. So you have a good copy.

I do not understand anything. There are tons of videos on YT where people just complain that they aren't sharp when filmed. Why does Tottel have a cool, sharp face with studio lighting at the end of his movie?

Sorry, maybe I wrote some stupid things and I don't know how such a camera is supposed to work, but I don't know anything about it
2022-11-4
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

Fraagles Posted at 11-4 04:12
I do not understand anything. There are tons of videos on YT where people just complain that they aren't sharp when filmed. Why does Tottel have a cool, sharp face with studio lighting at the end of his movie?
Tottel

At the end of his Video, he filmed with a DSLR (?), but anyway not with an action cam, he is saying, when you want to have this quality, then don´t buy an action camera.
2022-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Urbsi Posted at 11-4 04:17
At the end of his Video, he filmed with a DSLR (?), but anyway not with an action cam, he is saying, when you want to have this quality, then don´t buy an action camera.

I think it was not designed for that type of footage indeed.
2022-11-4
Use props
Fraagles
lvl.2
Poland

Urbsi Posted at 11-4 04:17

I know, I know that the ending is not action 3. I meant shots from 0:54
2022-11-4
Use props
Urbsi
lvl.3
Germany

Fraagles Posted at 11-4 04:39

Ahhhh, right. Good lightnig maybe, no rocksteady maybe...I tried to simulate it (but with regular light, not with LED or somethin) and it worked pretty good (ISO 200, no rocksteady, tripod, 1/50, 4K25, D-Cinelike).
2022-11-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 11-4 04:24
I think it was not designed for that type of footage indeed.

It wasn’t, but they advertised .3m to infinity focus. Most photographers would see this as advertising blurb because almost every camera focus will fall of somewhere in the photo. What’s happening here is many bought this camera to do something the osmo pocket does, but unfortunately this camera doesn’t have focus tracking to keep focus on a face as it continually moves . If he put the camera on a tripod and super glued his head to the back wall he would have nailed focus.

But you are right this camera is about capturing action and how good the action is not the quality of the footage. Action capture first. The osmo pocket is probably the camera a lot wanted or thought it was. And I expect if we see a new osmo pocket 3 soon there will be more people disappointed with this camera. Such is life.
2022-11-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 11-4 04:46
It wasn’t, but they advertised .3m to infinity focus. Most photographers would see this as advertising blurb because almost every camera focus will fall of somewhere in the photo. What’s happening here is many bought this camera to do something the osmo pocket does, but unfortunately this camera doesn’t have focus tracking to keep focus on a face as it continually moves . If he put the camera on a tripod and super glued his head to the back wall he would have nailed focus.

But you are right this camera is about capturing action and how good the action is not the quality of the footage. Action capture first. The osmo pocket is probably the camera a lot wanted or thought it was. And I expect if we see a new osmo pocket 3 soon there will be more people disappointed with this camera. Such is life.

Yeah, I agree.
Pocket 2 is probably a better camera for this type of shooting.
2022-11-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

This first video, his face is blurry but background is in focus so that is what I want. A camera that nail infinity focus since I don't care about close focus.

Here he have a good camera that I would be pleased with, not the sharpest at 30 cm but overall it do look great.

Problem with people shooting in lower resolution vs 4K is that in 1080p you can't clearly see how the focus is since the resolution for 2022 is really low.

And for people that do know photograpy/videography from film days, focus on film is not as sharp as nowdays where we clearly can see if a lens is sharp or not.

And an action camera with really small sensor, even with f/2.8 aperture it should give good focus all over, but with bigger sensor the narrower focus plane.
Against for people that DO KNOW photography, cheap lenses are not sharp wide open (ex. f/2.8), but is sharper with lower aperture (ex. f/4) so it could also be a problem with OA3.

To compensate for bigger sensor, they make wider lens since wider lens makes more in focus. But DJI have failed to find the sweet spot on our OA3.

And shooting in Dewarp it do a digital crop to the footage making it more blur.

I mentioned this to DJI years ago on OA1 forum, that I was hoping some manufactures would make an action camera where we could change aperture so there would be no need for ND-filters (or less need) since lower aperture let in less light + also make more in focus.

2022-11-4
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

Fraagles Posted at 11-4 04:39

The shots from around 0:54 are much wider than the video from your first post. That is probably why he appears to be sharper.

To see how sharp your OA3 can be you can take a clip in ultrawide without stabilization (put the camera on a tripod or some other stationary object).
2022-11-4
Use props
artemz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121404 ft
Russia

I compare with the old xiaomi yi camera, with the focus of the problem , I try to return the camera to the seller

2022-11-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI should have a list of serial numbers that are effected they do not, your camera is fine, if you feel its not then get with the actual team at their site. DJI should not be doingchat but phone calls
2022-11-4
Use props
MarcoR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316335 ft
Italy

artemz Posted at 11-4 09:08
I compare with the old xiaomi yi camera, with the focus of the problem , I try to return the camera to the seller

[view_image]

If I remember correctly the Xiaomi YI also has a 155° FOV and Sony 16 Mpx sensor, so ultra-wide mode.
Abysmal difference I would say, but it is not the OA3's fault, I blame it on the YI which is just fine!  
You must understand that the Xiaomi YI is not made to shoot subjects so close in focus, it is the OA3 that rightly so close does not focus them.
So it's the YI that's wrong, being an action cam, so fixed focus , it shouldn't shoot so well in focus that bottle, in my opinion it's defective.
2022-11-4
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

artemz Posted at 11-4 09:08

[view_image]

You were fooled by artificial focus, like all owners of GoPro, YI, Akaso....
I've had a YI as a dashcam in my car for years, I'll try to compare its DOF minimum...
2022-11-4
Use props
Astroita87
lvl.2
Italy

To me looks good same as mine! i don't see any problem here to be honest! background looks sharp take a look at the car's plate! maybe your face is bit soft but for sure this is going to be improved over time with firmware updates
2022-11-4
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Astroita87 Posted at 11-4 13:03
To me looks good same as mine! i don't see any problem here to be honest! background looks sharp take a look at the car's plate! maybe your face is bit soft but for sure this is going to be improved over time with firmware updates

But not exist firmware who moves DOF, remember this please, because lens and senzor are fixed, static.
2022-11-4
Use props
fish sticks
lvl.4
New Zealand

StevoB Posted at 11-4 15:19
But not exist firmware who moves DOF, remember this please, because lens and senzor are fixed, static.

That is correct. What is possible to do in the firmware is to reduce the crop factor in some of the FOV/stab modes to keep a bit more detail in the image at the expense of "zooming out", or just add sharpening. You will still be able to digitally zoom an image/video and claim that is not sharp enough and therefore not in focus.
2022-11-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If there is a problem with focus attributable to the lens, then testing in full sun will be more revealing - full sun will not matter for focus but low light could make focus appear softer (affects sensor).  I'd say the original video in this discussion is not analytical enough.
2022-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules