First flight last night.........
1533 22 2015-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

So I waited like a kid at Christmas for the post man to deliver my much awaited package yesterday.  Paced back and forth by the door to the front porch eagerly awaiting "Santa".  It arrived and I litterally jumped for joy!!  Got everything unpacked and immediately started charging the battery as I knew I was going to be doing a FW update afterwards.  Fortunately I preinted the manual and read it a few times since DJI neglected to send me one in my box.  Charged the birds battery, then the RC battery.  Now on to the FW update.  Downloaded the file from DJI and opened up the folder to see a non .bin file in there.  Thought that was weird but I tried the update anyway.  No blinking light on the gimble which I knew wasn't normal.  Turned off the bird and redownloaded the file, this time I got the .bin file.  Got the file on the card, did the update, NOOOOO ISSUES!!  Ok, on to the RC update.....again NOOOOOO ISSUES!  Thought awesome, I got lucky (that or reading the 100's of posts on here on how to properly do it helped!)  Topped off the birds battery and off we went to a park.  I already had the perfect area scouted out.  Open-ish field, only trees were in the outling areas and a few behind me by the road.  Got to my spot and instantly regreted not wearing long pants and having a can of bug spray with me.  It was evening time so the bugs were just starting to come out and feast.  Grass was a bit to tall to just put it down on the ground so I used the DJI box.  Did the compass calibration, all went well!  Took a deep breath and off she went hovering 8 feet off the ground.  I let it sit there for a bit, slowly moving the sticks around to get how sensitive she was.  OH MAN is she sensitive.  Not like flying RC planes at ALL!  Putted around a bit not getting to far from me, maybe a few hundred feet at most.  3 minutes in I brought her back down and landed her sucessfully on the box.  No issues!  Decided to take off again and went up over the tree tops, watched the sun set beautifully on the horizon.  Flew her back towards me and around the field for a bit.  THEN it happened......a mosquito or other bug distracted me on my left side and I inadvertently pushed on the right stick all the way forward.  ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM she took off like a bullet.......straight for a tree.  I hastely pulled back on the stick, slowed her down just as she reached the small branches on the outmost branch thought I had her good, but the tree decided it was hungry.  It snatched up my bird.........By this time the sun had set and I was panicing.  Surely I thought she was going to drop like a rock, but it was well wedged up there.  Thought I would try to start the motors to see if it would free itself but no go.  Rather than risk messing anything up, I raced back to the house, grabbed my ladder and raced back.  Well at this point it was very dark and of course the ladder wouldn't reach the branch where it was at.  Had to be 25-30 feet up easily.  Pulled my truck to under the branch, tried setting the ladder in the bed but still to short.  Park officer rolled by, asked what I was doing.  Told him I lost my bird and he thought I meant my pet bird.  When I told him it was an RC (didn't want to use the word drone) he chuckled and said, yeah that tree gets a few of them every year.  Suggested I call Parks and Rec in the morning to see if they could help.  HATED leaving my brand new drone in a tree, with the lights still flashing.  But I figured if I couldn't get to it (even tried climbing it and still couldn't get to it from the ground) no one else would be able to.  Of course I didn't sleep a wink last night.  8am this morning I'm already rolling out to the park, calling parks and rec, they connect me with a very nice guy who said he would be out in 30-45 min. to see if there was anything he could do to help me.  Get to the park, and the drone is still there!! (Whhheeeewww!)  Decided to put the ladder against the tree to get to the branch it was stuck in.  With a little luck, I shimmied up to the branch and thought, oh damn, this is higher than I thought but I was up there and I wanted my bird back!  I litterally crawled on my belly 20 feet out from the trunk trying to not flip over and there were only 2-3 branches the whole way out that were thick enough for me to pull on and continue to stablize myself.  Got to about 4 feet of the bird and the branch was REALLY thin at this point.  I got very lucky in that a branch that it was stuck on was just in the right position for me to use to pull the branch the bird itself was stuck on close enough to me that I was able to nab the landing gear and free it from the clutches of the tree.  I had my wife down on the ground (just in case I fell and needed medical help) toss me up a strap which I tied to the landing gear and lowered down to her safely.  Now comes the part that I try to get out of the tree.  You would think sliding backwards would be easy, but oh hell no.  Not knowing where your feet are was a pucker value of 100.  I get to the trunk of the tree and the maintenance guy rolls up and sees me.  He said he was just about to go get his BUCKET TRUCK and lift me up here.  I had to laugh as that's always they way things work out!  I get down from the tree and we talk a bit, I go to shake his hand thank you and he said "I would bud, but you just climbed up that tree covered in poison ivy, and I just got over it a few weeks ago".  I had to laugh so damn hard I almost crapped myself!  BUT long story short (I know, to late) Got the bird home, gave it a through once over, cleaned off the green leaf blood, started it up in the living room and everything works perfect!  I'm ONE lucky SOB that's for sure!  I would post the video of it, but that's a little embarrassing at this point.  I will hopefully get some footage this afternoon after my other battery and case arrive (here shortly I hope) and I head back out again.  This time I'm bringing long pants and bug spray!
2015-8-13
Use props
SuperRC
lvl.1

Australia

Funny story, very enjoyable reading. haha
2015-8-13
Use props
SuperRC
lvl.1

Australia

Most importantly, I'm happy you got your bird back safe and sound
2015-8-13
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Thanks guys, tried painting a very visual picture for everyone.  Here are a few snapshots of me up in the tree.  Like I said 30 feed doesn't sound like a lot, but it's enough when you're the one up there!

The bird is just above me and a little further out, maybe 4 feet......the branches out there were not that big.......

2015-8-13
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

jayhkr...........awesome story!  Trees and first flights somehow just don't mix well.  Have fun flying.
2015-8-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yay, another happy ending. Gotta love those short stories...
Glad to read the electric bird was freed... And you Get to fly another day....

Well done. Now, Stay Out Of Trees... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-8-13
Use props
Akaemit02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5894029 ft
United States

Lol nice story. I hope you learned your lesson next time gain altitude and release the right stick.
2015-8-13
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I need to move to Ireland so that way I have PLENTY of open area!!  Thanks guys!  I'm sure I'll have a few more bumps in the road, I just don't want them to be 30' up in the air again.  
2015-8-13
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

jayhkr Posted at 2015-8-14 04:18
Thanks guys, tried painting a very visual picture for everyone.  Here are a few snapshots of me up i ...

I couldn't get the pictures to load.  But I can imagine.  Yup, we all seem to take the same "4C" path to P3 wisdom:

Cautious > Confidence > Cockiness > Crash >>> (rinse & repeat)
2015-8-13
Use props
SuperRC
lvl.1

Australia

It says photos not found. Maybe post up the video haha
2015-8-13
Use props
SuperRC
lvl.1

Australia

Photos now working. Haha classic. Lucky that branch didn't snap off lol
2015-8-13
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Cool story. Clicking on photos just goes to photobucket though, with no results. OR just "photo not found." Hmmm. Could you put in direct links or just upload from your computer?
2015-8-13
Use props
bastell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

Great story with a happy ending thanks for sharing .
2015-8-14
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Sorry guys, I fixed the links and the pictures are back up.  Moved everything to a new folder and completely forgot to fix the picture links.  I deleted the video file as I didn't want any memory of that footage.   I do have a video of my first SUCCESSFUL flight though.  No editing or anything, just raw, boring video.  I know there's lots to work on still but at least it stayed out of trees.  I'll get that up shortly.
2015-8-14
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Ok, don't fall asleep during this yet.  I'm trying to find a good all around program that will run on my semi-old (4-5 years) laptop.  I know Adobe makes some good programs, but I'm also interested in others if anyone has suggestions.  But alas here is my flight!

2015-8-14
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I also want to be able to import my flight data into my video's for my own records.  I know I'll have to do a bit of searching on here on how to do that, as I'm sure there are lots of links to that.  But with that said I want the software for editing to be able to embed that too.
2015-8-14
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-14 05:16
I couldn't get the pictures to load.  But I can imagine.  Yup, we all seem to take the same "4C" p ...

HunterBrooks,, Love the "4C" reference. So very true!
2015-8-15
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Thanks guys, tried painting a very visual picture for everyone.  Here are a few snapshots of me up i ...

jayhkr, thanks for the story and pictures!  Entertaining and very interesting!
2015-8-15
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

Ha, I call these my "Phantom Freedom Fighters".  I use a camera backpack that has a long skinny pocket on the side for a tripod.  The longer branch cutter fits perfectly in that pocket when folded.  The vine cutter just slips into a side pocket.  Luckily I've never had to use them ... yet.

P3 Freedom Fighters.jpg

2015-8-15
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Yeah, I thought about bringing my long stick branch cutter, but I A) didn't want the bird falling 30 some feet and B) my luck I would start cutting a branch and the local park sheriff would pull up and fine me a nice ticket.  But I definitely need to have a "kit" of some sort of other issues.
2015-8-15
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

I think I see it.
IMAG0752_zps5be99508.jpg
2015-8-15
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

Wow that looks like it was a lot of work.   I carry a gopher pole with me " it's a telescopic fiberglass pole" just in case.  My kids have smaller Hubsan quads and they get them suck in trees all the time. The gopher pole saves me from doing a lot of tree climbing.

-Dog

Gopher Pole

Gopher Pole
image.jpg
2015-8-16
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Yep, that's it!  Good eyes!  That pole looks like just the ticket I needed, but again, my luck would had been it would had plummeted to the ground.  If I had this for a few years and was going to upgrade to the newest model I might had gone a different route, but since I had a total of 6 minutes of flight time I decided to go that extra mile.  Fortunately I didn't get any poison ivy, just some chigger bites, which I've put chigger-rid on to stop the itching.
2015-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules