Battery discharging
958 10 2022-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ralphhuttonthompson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666188 ft
Canada

How do people discharge the Mavic 3 batteries? Does DJI make a adapter (USB out) to allow the M3 battery to be a power bank and to discharge the batteries for maintenance purposes?
The Inspire and Mavic 2 had USB adapters but that does not seem to be the case for the Mavic 3.
I have seen a third party device that has a USB out but not sure if DJI is OK with the charging side of this device at max output power is PD 60W.

https://www.amazon.com/SYMIK-Dis ... 9FQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

2022-11-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The Mavic 3 uses Intelligent Flight batteries. No need to discharge them. They do that on their own. And, really, the best way to discharge is flying. I charge mine fully after each flight. If the batteries sit a few days, they properly discharge on their own.
2022-11-19
Use props
Ralphhuttonthompson
lvl.3
Canada

You maybe correct & it would explain why DJI doesn't provide an obvious way to discharge their batteries. Historically (been flying DJI drones professionally for 10 years, early phantom, Inspire and Mavic) it has been necessary according to DJI and battery experts to discharge the batteries fully after 20 cycles or so (DJI used to say 10 cycles) in order to recalibrate the cells to the same level. As you may have observed, the drone doesn't draw down on all cells equally. On the Mavic 2 it draws down on cell 4 a lot more often than the other cells (Mavic 2 & Enterprise Dual). This being the case for most multi-cell Lithium ion polymer batteries.
2022-11-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Ralphhuttonthompson Posted at 11-19 10:09
You maybe correct & it would explain why DJI doesn't provide an obvious way to discharge their batteries. Historically (been flying DJI drones professionally for 10 years, early phantom, Inspire and Mavic) it has been necessary according to DJI and battery experts to discharge the batteries fully after 20 cycles or so (DJI used to say 10 cycles) in order to recalibrate the cells to the same level. As you may have observed, the drone doesn't draw down on all cells equally. On the Mavic 2 it draws down on cell 4 a lot more often than the other cells (Mavic 2 & Enterprise Dual). This being the case for most multi-cell Lithium ion polymer batteries.

The Intelligent Flight batteries have a built-in processor and firmware that does several things. It prevents overcharging, over discharging, getting too hot, does not allow charging when the battery is either too hot or cold. It balances the batteries and auto-discharges at a proper rate when idle for more than a day. Let the battery firmware do its thing and you will be fine.
2022-11-19
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

They automatically discharge down to around 60%, which is fine for storing.

But  DJI recommends a full discharge once in a while, then a full charge,  and then down to 50-60% for storage. I do that if I do not fly for 3  months. I trust DJI know what is best for their batteries.

Of  course flying is the fastest and easiest discharging method, but I also  successfully use the Hanatora charger with discharge function.
A  home-made device with a 12V halogen light bulb will also work, or you can purchase it:  https://phantomangel.rocks/
2022-11-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. MobileHomer is correct in his response on post #2. The best way to discharge the battery is by flying them. Also, the battery will automatically discharge on its own when stored for a few days. Please note that do not store the battery for an extended period after fully discharging. Otherwise, the battery may over-discharge and cause irreparable damage to the battery cell. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-19
Use props
Ralphhuttonthompson
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks, I had a Phantom Angel for my Inspires, it worked well, not sure if it’s available for the M3
2022-11-20
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

How about the controller?  I have the standard controller came with my M3 that I did not charge at all because I am using the RC Pro.  Should that standard controller be charge to 50% or so or just leave it alone at shipped in the hibernation mode?
2022-11-20
Use props
Ralphhuttonthompson
lvl.3
Canada

Wouldn't worry about the controller, I've haven't heard of any special requirements, they are probably off the shelf standard Li-ion batteries. The manual does say if you store them (like over winter) then charge them every 3 months
2022-11-20
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ralphhuttonthompson Posted at 11-20 09:12
Wouldn't worry about the controller, I've haven't heard of any special requirements, they are probably off the shelf standard Li-ion batteries. The manual does say if you store them (like over winter) then charge them every 3 months

In another words I should at least get the unused control out of hibernation and charge to 50%.
2022-11-20
Use props
Ralphhuttonthompson
lvl.3
Canada

Yes this would be a good practice. In fact I expect thats a general guide for valuable electronics, Li-ion batteries don't like to run flat (0 voltage), you may not be able to revive the battery but also you may get the terminals in your gadget starting to corrode at which point its a messy job to clean up the connections. As a photographer, its good to take a few pictures every so often to prevent the shutter getting jammed up.
2022-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules