A Complete Guide to DJI Drone Batteries
28220 38 2022-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hi there, everyone knows that most DJI drones are powered by intelligent flight batteries, so what are we talking about when we call a drone battery as “intelligent”? Let's have a closer look into DJI’s intelligent flight batteries, and this guide walks you through some details, including a brief introduction, common error messages and malfunctions, and battery maintenance and after-sales services. Hope this guide helps in even a little way to better use and service your drone batteries.

A Brief Introduction to Intelligent Flight Batteries

For the sake of transportation safety, new intelligent flight batteries are set in Sleep mode before shipment. Therefore, when receiving a new battery, it is required to charge it to wake it up.

Insert the battery into your drone and get started after the battery is fully charged. Connect your drone to the related app, enter the Battery Info page, and you will see the related battery information, including Battery Cell Status, Battery Voltage, Battery Temperature, Battery SN, and Battery Cycle Counts.
1.png

Battery Cell Status shows the current number of cells and whether these cells are in a good state. The battery icons on the app change into different colors, from green to yellow and then red, according to the current battery level. If no error messages are prompted on the app, the battery can be used normally.

Battery Voltage is a significant indicator measuring the performance of a battery. On a DJI app, the “Battery Voltage” field displays the sum of cells voltage. You can fly the drone normally as long as no error message is prompted on the app. In case of a prompt saying “Battery voltage difference too large”, it is necessary to fully charge and discharge the battery. If the problem still exists after going through the above step, and your battery is within the warranty, send it back to DJI for after-sales service. If the battery is out of warranty, it is recommended to use other normal batteries.

Battery Temperature displays the current temperature of the battery. If the battery temperature is over 65℃ (149°F), it is suggested to lower the flight speed. If it is higher than 70℃ (158℉), the battery will probably catch fire or even explode. You should check the battery temperature at any time in midflight. If the temperature is too high, land and cool the battery down in time. When the ambient temperature is low, warm up the battery before takeoff. If it is a consumer drone battery, it can be operated at 0° to 40℃ (41° to 104°F).

Battery SN is unique to each battery, also known as the ID card of a battery. If you have multiple batteries, you can distinguish the batteries by their SN. When requesting an after-sales service for a battery, it is required to submit the battery SN.

Battery Cycle Count is the number of times that a battery has gone through a cycle. A battery cycle count is not the times that you charge a battery, but simply refers to the times that the battery consumption accumulates to 75% of the battery capacity. When the battery cycle count is over 200 times, battery performance will decline. In this case, it is recommended to replace the battery with a new one.
Note: For the DJI FPV, it is recommended to replace the battery once the battery cycle count reaches 100.
For the specifications of different intelligent flight batteries, as in, capacity, voltage, and max charging power, please refer to this article “Intelligent Flight Battery Technical Specifications” for help.
*Applicable Products: DJI Mavic 3, DJI Air 2S, Mavic Air 2, DJI Mini 3 Pro, DJI Mini 2, DJI Mini SE,  Phantom 4 Pro series, and DJI Avata.

Common Error Messages and Malfunctions

Although intelligent flight batteries cannot speak like a real person, you can also read its status through the status indicators. The indicators can not only tell the current battery level and the on/off state of a drone, but can also be used for prompting error messages. We all know that when a battery is charging, the indicators are blinking in sequence. What if the indicators are not blinking in sequence, or only a certain indicator is blinking, and the device cannot be charged?
ClickAbnormal LEDs Status While Charging and Solutions for details.
*Applicable Products: DJI Mavic 3, DJI Air 2S, Mavic Air 2, DJI Mini 3 Pro, DJI Mini 2, DJI Mini SE, Mavic Mini Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, DJI FPV, Spark, and DJI Avata.

DJI’s intelligent flight batteries can not only report an error during charging, but also prompt an error message on the related app if an error is detected when connected to the drone. Check the details below for some common app error messages and solutions.

Overcurrent During Discharge
When the discharge current exceeds the maximum discharge capacity of the battery, do not fly aggressively.

Overheating During Discharge
If the battery overheats during discharge, the drone will automatically reduce the power to ensure better battery performance.

Low Temperature During Discharge
If the battery is in an extremely low temperature during discharge, land the drone in time to ensure better battery performance.

Abnormal or Damaged Battery Cell
Stop using the battery, and replace it with a normal one.

Users have reported some battery charge failures on DJI Forum, which were probably caused by the following reasons.
Power Cable/Adapter Malfunctioning: Replace the power cable or battery, and run a cross test to troubleshoot.
Poor Connection Between Battery and Battery Charging Port: If the charging port is dirty, wipe it clean with a dry cloth, and try again.
Battery Over-Discharge: After left idle with a low battery level for a long period of time, the battery may over discharge, and therefore cannot be powered on and charged.
If the battery indeed has a charging failure, and is within warranty, send it back to DJI for after-sales services. If it is out of warranty, it is recommended to replace it with a new one, and properly dispose it.

Swollen batteries were mentioned by users on the DJI Forum as well. As batteries are made up of chemicals inside, improper maintenance, over-discharge, collision, and water-damaged may lead to this problem. If you find that your battery is slightly swollen soon after a flight and it will return to its normal state after left idle, it is a normal phenomenon, please feel assured to use it.

However, if the battery is swollen and cannot be restored, do not use it any more. If it is within warranty, send it back to DJI for further diagnosis. If it is out of warranty, replace it with a functioning battery.

Battery Maintenance and After-sales Service

As we all know, batteries are consumables. Due to the chemical characteristics of lithium-ion batteries, the capacity and performance of lithium-ion batteries will naturally decrease as the use time and cycle counts increase. However, if such batteries are properly serviced, its service life can still be extended. Here are some battery maintenance tips. Hope these will help.
1. Always store Intelligent Flight Batteries in a well-ventilated place.
2. Charge and discharge the battery about every three months to maintain good conditions of the battery active materials and extend lifetime of the battery.
3. Cool down the battery after a flight, and then charge it. Otherwise, it may cause damage to the battery.
4. If the battery is stored after completely drained, it may over-discharge and be damaged. The battery will enter Hibernation/Sleep mode if depleted and stored for a long period of time. Recharge the battery to bring it out of Hibernation/Sleep mode.
5. If a battery will not be used for 10 days or longer, discharge it to 40%-65% state of charge (until LED 3 lights up or blinks) for storage.

Note: The remaining part of this article will walk you through the auto-discharge function of DJI's intelligent flight batteries. By saying Battery Auto-Discharging, we mean that the battery will discharge itself to a preset battery level within a specified time. Take DJI Mavic 3 Intelligent Flight Battery as an example, the battery automatically discharges to 96% of the battery level when it is idle for three days, and automatically discharges to 60% of the battery level when it is idle for nine days. To learn more about the auto-discharging function of DJI’s intelligent flight batteries, refer to the following article.
Click →
Introduction to DJI Intelligent Flight Battery Auto-Discharging Rules to have a better look into the rules.
*Applicable Products: DJI Mini Series, DJI Mavic Series, DJI Air Series, Spark,
Phantom Series, Inspire Series, and DJI FPV.

Careful maintenance is of course necessary, but accident happens. In case of a battery failure, just feel free to contact
DJI Support for further help. DJI warrants batteries damaged due to non-user errors within warranty. Currently, intelligent flight batteries of most DJI consumer drones, with less than 200 charge cycles, are warranted for 12 months. As the warranty period varies among different products, please refer to the after-sales policies specified on DJI Official Website.
Hope this article can help. If you like this post, don't forget to like and share with others.

2022-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the info!
2022-11-21
Use props
JetSam
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

don111 Posted at 11-21 07:06
My Name is Donald from USA, I want to say thank you to Mr Mark Toray for the good thing he has done for me, Though am not sure if this is the best forum to show my joy and happiness for what he has done for me but i can’t hide my happiness and my joy so i have to share it with people. This is unbelievable, at first I never actually built any interest in this Binary/Forex trading of a thing but when I later gave it a try with the Help of this wonderful Expert Trader Mr Mark Toray, it was a successful trade for me. All i did was to invest $1000 into my first trading and to my greatest surprise, I received a huge amount of $12,520 as profit in 7 days of trading... Mr Mark Toray was the trader that made it possible and he is still doing it all for me.. You want to be happy and be free like me do well to reach out to her via Email: , Telegram: @Mark4toray_fx

Stop Spamming this Forum ....... this is not Dji Related .....
2022-11-21
Use props
Alex _ Leipzig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9057175 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thank´s, its very useful information
2022-11-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very informative guide.  
2022-11-24
Use props
dewitg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 672034 ft
Spain

Thanks for share
2022-11-25
Use props
fansb0159189
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7910364 ft
United States

I got a new battery and accidentally turned it on when I meant to just see if the light came on by pressing the button.  It must have used the small amount of power that was in it because when I went to put it on the charger I wasn't getting any light when pressing the button. Now I can't even get it to do anything I'm guessing because I don't have the small amount of power in the new battery for the charger to recognize it.  What can I do?
2022-11-27
Use props
fans0a8d972b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214656 ft
United States

I've found that my new DJI batteries and RCs will not charge for the first time on any kind of fast/quick charger. They will only charge for the first time on regular, old usb charger. After that, they will charge on a fast charger.
2022-11-28
Use props
WalkinginHellas
Second Officer

Greece

#Quick Reply Here#there is a big shortage of mavic pro 2 batteries on the market. I can't even find them from the DJI online store. it is not too old a model to create an impression on the market and 1 year ago it was the best model on the market. Is there any information what will happen?
2022-11-30
Use props
AndyAusmAquarium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165915 ft
Germany

thanks for information, Dude.
2022-11-30
Use props
Omar_Khalid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32326 ft
Saudi Arabia

Thanks for the info man
2022-12-2
Use props
djiuser_MbseFmVBn6fc
New

United States

I want to formally complain about battery communication error issue. I have purchased DJI Mini 3 Pro a month back, and lost it today in Friedrich Wilderness Park because of Battery Communication Error. It was a huge investment for me, DJI should solve this battery issue properly, so that no one else lose their hard earned money. Buying that drone was my dream for 2 years, and now I lost that because of battery issue. My flight was all good, while returning to home the RC was no longer received signal from drone. I am very sad and incurred financial loss, so I am raising this complaint. It was not at all my fault, but this known issue ruined my dream.
2022-12-3
Use props
djiuser_MbseFmVBn6fc
New

United States

I want to formally complain about battery communication error issue. I have purchased DJI Mini 3 Pro a month back, and lost it today in Friedrich Wilderness Park because of Battery Communication Error. It was a huge investment for me, DJI should solve this battery issue properly, so that no one else lose their hard earned money. Buying that drone was my dream for 2 years, and now I lost that because of battery issue. My flight was all good, while returning to home the RC was no longer received signal from drone. I am very sad and incurred financial loss, so I am raising this complaint. It was not at all my fault, but this known issue ruined my dream.
2022-12-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_MbseFmVBn6fc Posted at 12-4 10:01
I want to formally complain about battery communication error issue. I have purchased DJI Mini 3 Pro a month back, and lost it today in Friedrich Wilderness Park because of Battery Communication Error. It was a huge investment for me, DJI should solve this battery issue properly, so that no one else lose their hard earned money. Buying that drone was my dream for 2 years, and now I lost that because of battery issue. My flight was all good, while returning to home the RC was no longer received signal from drone. I am very sad and incurred financial loss, so I am raising this complaint. It was not at all my fault, but this known issue ruined my dream.

Hi, I am sorry to read about the loss of your drone. May I know if you have reported this case and filed a case number in our system?
Please refer to this flyaway guide https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1 for further assistance on your situation. And please let me know your case number if you have started a case. Thank you.
2022-12-5
Use props
zeiakleisen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 226634 ft

Philippines

Good guide for all dji product consumers.
2022-12-6
Use props
Desi Drone
New

India

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2gBgztwCws&ab_channel=DesiDrone
2022-12-14
Use props
AeroNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

Helpful information, thank you.
2022-12-15
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
Ireland

Thanks for the information! It is very helpful. As I am also dealing partially batteries, I am glad to see that DJI inserted the auto-discharge function in the batteries because it does prolong their life.
2022-12-24
Use props
NDDJayasinghe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6539 ft

Sri Lanka

Thanks for the info!
2022-12-26
Use props
superCoolDude
lvl.3
Flight distance : 453950 ft
United States

Thank You!
2022-12-31
Use props
djiuser_TK5fh3nvjnQp
New
Flight distance : 90262 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All, could anyone tell me why I can’t see all 3 my Dji mini 3 pro batteries on the battery cell status screen.

Thanks
2023-1-2
Use props
djiuser_qg6NUNyj0LPW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32608 ft
Australia

fansb0159189 Posted at 2022-11-27 02:48
I got a new battery and accidentally turned it on when I meant to just see if the light came on by pressing the button.  It must have used the small amount of power that was in it because when I went to put it on the charger I wasn't getting any light when pressing the button. Now I can't even get it to do anything I'm guessing because I don't have the small amount of power in the new battery for the charger to recognize it.  What can I do?

If your new battery won’t charge I would contact customer support and seek help on the matter. Good luck!
2023-1-5
Use props
fans1d641d3f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 494590 ft
United States

If a battery is slightly swollen and does not seat completely onto the drone, there seems to be a risk that the battery may become disconnected during flight. Is it time to replace these batteries?
2023-1-5
Use props
PixelPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1205715 ft
United States

thanks very much!
2023-2-9
Use props
RonnieHotdogs
New
Flight distance : 16473 ft

United Kingdom

Something ive noticed when charging my brand spanking new mini 2SE, is the light will go off on the battery indicating a fully charged battery, insert into drone and its already at 95 - 90% even before take off. the battery has only had 3 or 4 charging cycles.....
2023-4-3
Use props
me2me2me2
lvl.1

Canada

On my new Mini 2SE,  when the drone is sitting idle both controller and drone are "ON" - after merely a few minutes the battery gets fairly warm - checked the temp and rising 36 +  C.
I'm indoors and the room temp is around 21 C.

I'm just wondering if this temperature on the battery in this state is normal?

And what is the Max temperature it can reach in this state and still be within the normal range?

-------------
2023-4-10
Use props
dr6583
lvl.4
Flight distance : 490627 ft
United States

Haven't flown my A2S or charged the batteries in a year.  Bad thing to do, I know.  Gonna see if they charge.  Since they are over 1 yr old I suppose if they don't charge I'll need to acquire new ones.  Wish me luck they charge!
Update - all 3 still have 2 solid lights and are now, hopefully, charging.  The RC Pro though had no lights but appears to be charging.  Gonna keep time on how long it takes to charge these.

Update - at least all 3 batteries still had 2 solid lights.  We'll see how long they take to charge.  My RC Pro however had no lights but appears to be charging.
2023-4-11
Use props
Tungsten
New

United States

Thank you forthe info
2023-4-27
Use props
djiuser_FpYHSwF9IXBF
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52969 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for that article, some of it is common sense but a lot of the information you wouldn't know if hadn't read it. I live in the UK, I think that it's worth mentioning about disposing of damaged batteries. This type of battery is responsible for a lot of fires in waste recycling plants so avoid just putting it in your bin.
2023-5-9
Use props
djiuser_E6Zv4lTJEJWJ
New

Hong Kong

Thank you for sharing.
2023-5-11
Use props
Meet_me_in_Zim
lvl.1
Zimbabwe

Quite helpful. i always wondered why i would see my previously fully charged AIR 2S batteries on 3 bars after a week or so of being idle
2023-5-24
Use props
BradM05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 191178 ft

United States

What is the best way to store TB48 batteries from DJI Inspire 1 v2.0?
2023-5-30
Use props
fansb0159189
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7910364 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2022-12-5 00:35
Hi, I am sorry to read about the loss of your drone. May I know if you have reported this case and filed a case number in our system?
Please refer to this flyaway guide https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=279293&extra=page%3D1 for further assistance on your situation. And please let me know your case number if you have started a case. Thank you.

no replacement as i expected   so disappointed
2023-5-30
Use props
djiuser_5yV5UTa9gygd
lvl.1
Spain

I have some questions, probably is better to create a separate post -->  but I Have no permissions , probably becase I'm a new user.
avoid the PD certification in DJI MINI 3 (Normal version not pro)
In general what are the PD certification and watts supported for all components that arrived in my fly more combo for MINI 3

1. Cables -->  What are the cables included specifications, are those USB 3.1, usb 3.2? or even USB4?
What is the PD certification 3 or 3.1 and The watts. example are 65W and 20V, 5A or much less?
this to answer if the fast charge will be supported with this cables or I need to use my own cables.

2. The RC remote control --> What is the maximun supported Watts and is also PD certified?
What are the specifications to charge, Can I use a 140W  PD 3.1 Charger and cable for example?

3. The battery bank.-.> I guess are 30W in the PD specifications, Is this correct?

4. The USB - Charger in the dron itself --> I noticed that 2 batteries wasl almost charged in the Power bank, while only one battery was charged in the dron itself.
Probably this USB port is not enable with fast-charge and is not PD certified?

Could you please clarify my doubts --> My idea is to use a Wall charger PD 3.1 with 3 outputs to charge the RC and the battery bank in simultaneous with an USB4 cable(I already have the charger and the cable)

I just want to be sure that all the devices from JDI are PD certified in this case; I can use my own charged without any worries.
2023-5-31
Use props
HD Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5159026 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be great if DJI offered a rebate on old batteries toward the purchase of a replacement. Or a core value discount.
2023-6-16
Use props
djiuser_m9Ud8fCpLjX9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 666 ft

United States

I'm a noob and am curious if the batteries need to be in the drone in order to discharge. I have the Mini4 Pro.
1-8 07:50
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_m9Ud8fCpLjX9 Posted at 1-8 07:50
I'm a noob and am curious if the batteries need to be in the drone in order to discharge. I have the Mini4 Pro.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is suggested to remove batteries from the aircraft when stored for an extended period. Please refer to the DJI Help Center to be guided on how to properly maintain your batteries. You can use this link to check it: https://support.dji.com/help/con ... lhFQ%25253D%25253D.. Have a great day ahead.
1-9 03:12
Use props
djiuser_m9Ud8fCpLjX9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 666 ft

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 1-9 03:12
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It is suggested to remove batteries from the aircraft when stored for an extended period. Please refer to the DJI Help Center to be guided on how to properly maintain your batteries. You can use this link to check it: https://support.dji.com/help/content?customId=en-us03400006549&spaceId=34&re=US&lang=en&documentType=artical&paperDocType=paper&encryptId=D1Yh2Pb1ycWtdMudzSlhFQ%25253D%25253D.. Have a great day ahead.

Thanks for the info. I will keep them separate from the drone and let them discharge on their own in the case.
1-12 15:39
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_m9Ud8fCpLjX9 Posted at 1-12 15:39
Thanks for the info. I will keep them separate from the drone and let them discharge on their own in the case.

You are most welcome. You can always reach us if you have further concerns. Have a great day.
1-13 03:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules