NOOB! from Devon
1808 21 2015-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stan1970
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105318 ft

United Kingdom

Well sat here in front of my Mac - waiting for the dilvery of my Phantom 3 Standard - its seemed a long time tracking my order from China but it should arrive today and is out in the delivery van as we speak.  I have been watching all the DJI tutorial videos and although its raining outside here in Exmouth (Devon UK) its supposed to stop about 5.00pm.  Been looking around on the forum for ideas and insperation - I am a total Noob as this is my first drone although have been thinking about getting one ever since the Phantom 1 was launched.  I am so sad - keep checking the door to make sure the door bell is working LOL - Looking forward to help and advice on the forum and hopefully be able to contribute as well in the future.

Great to hear from anyone who is local as well
2015-8-14
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

the door bell just rang and its here!
2015-8-14
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Take your time and read the user manual.  Have fun flying.
2015-8-14
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks - just done the firmware update and now charging the batteries - was surpised that the firmware just updated direct from my phone via the app - watched a video that seemed to suggest that you had to plug the card into my computer - I guess there are some differences between the standard and advanced/proffesional in this respect as there are no tutorial videos yet on the official page for the standard.

2015-8-14
Use props
andy
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Take it steady. Do your prep before take off. Practice in none gps mode. Don't take risks and you will be fine
2015-8-14
Use props
dansonamission
lvl.1
Flight distance : 469508 ft
United Kingdom

I'm kind of local to you. There a few of us near Plymouth with Adv and pro's.

Have fun!
2015-8-14
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

dansonamission Posted at 2015-8-14 21:52
I'm kind of local to you. There a few of us near Plymouth with Adv and pro's.

Have fun!

Thanks - just tried first flight
2015-8-14
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

How did it go?
2015-8-16
Use props
Orac1
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hope you had fun and the rain stayed away. Just got my P3 a couple of weeks ago and found the following sites useful:

No Fly Zones

Sunrise and Sunset

This is for Wiltshire but Devon should have one as well

Natural England

BMFA
2015-8-17
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

as a 'noob' I would say the first thing you should understand is the CAA's stance on UAS flying, study some basic meteorology and get to grips with some air law.

I would wholly recommend that you get yourself on a remote pilots course, their not cheap but they do give you a good insight to flying safely and legally - you would also need to do one of these courses if you are wanting to earn money with your UAS. you will require a Permission For Aerial Work (PFAW) from the CAA and to have PL insurance.

An ops manual should be a go to document that you have created which will include all your aircrafts details, limitations, logging etc. but most importantly you should create a set of emergency procedures that you know cold and can use if and when required.

a great starting point to understanding what your legally allowed to do with a UAS is to read up the following Civil Aviation Publications that can be found on the CAA's website:

CAP 722 – Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace – Guidance
CAP 393 – Air Navigation Order (ANO) – Article 166 / 167
CAP 382 – Mandatory Occurrence Reporting Scheme

it is the people that do not adhere to these CAP's that will be the downfall of this industry.

Have fun flying!
2015-8-17
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks guys some really useful information - 1st flight was about 1 min in the garden - quite windy and our garden isnt big enough for a noob to be flying in but off the ground and no higher than 2 metres - clipped a few leafs on landing and thought - right idiot head somewhere bigger.  Flight 2 was in a field near the sea - nobody was around that I could crash into and got a good almost 25 mins flying and getting used to the phantom in beginner mode - flight 3 was at the same place and similar exercise - flight 4 yesterday took it out of beginner mode at Exmouth Estuary - lost sight once of it but it wasn't far away - got some good low flights over the estuary as well as taking it a bit higher.  I am very conscious of other people being around for 1 don't want the distraction but also don't want anyone thinking I am filming their children.

Really wanted to get out on Dartmoor on Saturday but by the time we had done our food shopping etc it was greying over and the weather can be wetter their than where we live on the coast - maybe next weekend

I have no plan to earn money from my UAS - just a little hobby flying around - I fit in the big kid who likes gadgets who is very safety conscious and doesn't take risks.    My friends are all asking for close ups through the neighbours windows but I wont be doing anything near peoples houses lol.

I have been looking at drones for a while now and the Phantom was always the one I was drawn to with all the safty features - it was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I thought as long as I don't crash it if it doesn't get used much I can always ebay it - that said I think it is going to get plenty of use

Thanks again
2015-8-17
Use props
mgtkilledkenny
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm from Exeter and would happily give a hand... I flying the advance ..so any questions just ask
2015-8-17
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

mgtkilledkenny@ Posted at 2015-8-18 01:36
I'm from Exeter and would happily give a hand... I flying the advance ..so any questions just ask

Thank you - out of interest where do you fly yours in and around Exeter?
2015-8-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hey, hi,
Well Come On In, to the forum. When I read the title I clicked to see who was flying in Devon,
But I thought it was our near Devon Alberta, just outside my home town. ;-)

Anyway, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment from your
Phantom, and take lots of pics and video to share with us.

Have fun, fly safe, happy landings...

RedHotPoker
2015-8-17
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-18 06:10
Hey, hi,
Well Come On In, to the forum. When I read the title I clicked to see who was flying in Dev ...

Thanks RHP!
2015-8-18
Use props
dansonamission
lvl.1
Flight distance : 469508 ft
United Kingdom

Saturday morning was great on dartmoor, we went to Burrator Reservoir.

2015-8-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Awesome country side. I love viewing any videos that provide a clear picture of the land around the members who visit here.
I need to get my stuff together, and put up some video of various points of interest around my capital city and wilderness country as well.
I live in a marvelous time, that we have these awesome photography tools at our disposal. I love photography, and enjoy sharing my knowledge and experiences with other.
My only big regret, is not having a camera handy for some of the most interesting and exciting moments of my life. Like meeting Frank Zappa or Deep Purple  guitarist Ritchie Blackmore.
Anyways, keep up the great work, and thanks very much for sharing your endeavors. Really appreciate it.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-18
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thats a great video! - sorry for the delay in replying - the forum didnt tell me I had a reply on this post lol!   
2015-8-25
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1032933 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Stan, I too am a newbie having bought my P3P last week and from North Devon near Barnstaple. Haven't had chance to fly her yet, hoping to tommorow as weather looks to be a bit better! Been practising with the simulator, especially ATTI mode without gps and with some wind to try and get her back! Just in case, you know!? Good luck good to see others here who are local!
2015-8-25
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

cookec2 Posted at 2015-8-26 02:09
Hi Stan, I too am a newbie having bought my P3P last week and from North Devon near Barnstaple. Have ...

You will love it - nice big field somewhere and play in beginner mode first - If you are like me you will be really nervous at first and the nerves will not go before your battery runs out! - remember to press record on the camera so you have something to show the folks at home!
2015-8-25
Use props
cookec2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1032933 ft
United Kingdom

Stan1970 Posted at 2015-8-26 03:47
You will love it - nice big field somewhere and play in beginner mode first - If you are like me y ...

Yep I'm working at my brothers farm tomorrow so hoping to get out in a big field to try it out! I'm nervous thinking about it! But looking forward to it!
2015-8-25
Use props
Stan1970
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I hope it keeps dry for you and you have a fun time!!! - I have Friday off so hoping for dry weather then!
2015-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules