36142 58 2022-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just backed up and saved the video from my Micro SD card onto a SSD drive and then went through and deleted all the LRF files which take up quite a lot of space.

What are these files for. Do we need them and if not it would be nice to stop them being created some how

2022-11-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The LRF files, this is low-resolution files generated simultaneously when recording, and LRF files are MP4, which can be viewed by any media player. We don't have the option to turn off this said feature. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-27
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-27 01:39
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The LRF files, this is low-resolution files generated simultaneously when recording, and LRF files are MP4, which can be viewed by any media player. We don't have the option to turn off this said feature. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Well I tried to view the LRF file on a windows PC through media player and they did not play.

Why do we need them ?
2022-11-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 11-27 02:24
Well I tried to view the LRF file on a windows PC through media player and they did not play.

Why do we need them ?

If you rename them to .mp4 then you can play them.
They are low res files used for playback on camera screen, but can also be used as proxy by some editors.
2022-11-27
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

they are not needed, DJI Please "Write a firmware to remove it for those that request.. 2-points

So use Resolve can you use the DJI Proxi  that directs to the original, or you got to    create your own, now you are eating up a tom of space
2022-11-27
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=279440
2022-11-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 11-27 04:55
they are not needed, DJI Please "Write a firmware to remove it for those that request.. 2-points

I haven't tried them with Resolve yet, but some says they doesn't work there as proxy.
2022-11-27
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 11-27 06:08
I haven't tried them with Resolve yet, but some says they doesn't work there as proxy.

gopro DJI they must be created in a folder , just can not put the   secondary file in and think they work
2022-11-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Fishycomics Posted at 11-27 08:20
gopro DJI they must be created in a folder , just can not put the   secondary file in and think they work

I need to try that one day
2022-11-27
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Yes, they do work as proxies in Resolve but as Fishycomics said you have to collect the LRF files into a separate folder first and then change the extension from LRF to MP4. This is somewhat painful if you have hundreds of short clips, unless you do batch renaming, but it does work.

Of course there's always the "Generate Optimized Media" option in Resolve in case DJI would consider adding an option to turn off LRF files.
2022-11-27
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

and you must unhide the extension to do so.

The good thing about DJI is one less file, then goPro
2022-11-27
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just delete them.
2022-11-27
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yes  that be a way to do so but  some think it eats storage up on the card?
2022-11-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 11-27 10:43
Yes, they do work as proxies in Resolve but as Fishycomics said you have to collect the LRF files into a separate folder first and then change the extension from LRF to MP4. This is somewhat painful if you have hundreds of short clips, unless you do batch renaming, but it does work.

Of course there's always the "Generate Optimized Media" option in Resolve in case DJI would consider adding an option to turn off LRF files.

Ah cool.
But I mostly just half size (proxy mode) in Resolve while editing 4K videos and it is fast to use.
2022-11-27
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 11-27 13:24
Yes  that be a way to do so but  some think it eats storage up on the card?

It does indeed eat up storage on the card
2022-11-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

They are horrible.
I wish DJI gives us an option to 'not' store them.
I don't care about reviewing my footage. I can't judge footage on my tiny Pocket 2 screen anyways.
2022-11-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 11-27 04:55

Thank you for your feedback. I will coordinate this request to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-28 02:42
Thank you for your feedback. I will coordinate this request to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.

just words, nothing more, people want proof not pudding
2022-11-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 11-28 03:53

I start to think this might be true. If you look at that link above, and follow that to the other forum section, people started to complain about it back in January of 2021. That was nearly 2 years ago. And the LRF files are still there.

(https://forum.dji.com/thread-233111-1-1.html)
2022-11-28
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 11-28 03:53

Isn't the Proof in the pudding next to the 6 Pence
2022-11-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

tYes they did.

and  half a dime a dozen more  what else is old here
2022-11-28
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

My pudding is next to the turkey sandwich, which I'm about to eat...
2022-11-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

LRF or LRV files are great  you can use a program like Magix fast track back then make low res shorts..
2022-11-29
Use props
anggapw
lvl.1
Indonesia

osmonauta Posted at 2022-11-27 10:43

I have 4k 60fps video and lrf files is 30 fps, which not detected as proxy in davince resolve. When i tried with 4k/1080p 30 fps, the lrf file is work flawlessly as a proxy. What a solution in here?
2023-8-26
Use props
fansb9031bc1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7851 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sadly they only partially work in Resolve ... having created a Proxy folder, moved all the LRF files into said proxy folder and then batch renamed them from *.LRF to *.MP4 ... Resolve only recognises a handful of them as proxies, and when I try to relink them Resolve complains about timecode and frame rate

So all in all not much use ... and easier to just let Resolve make it's own proxies I guess ... Would be nice if they actually could be used by Resolve though .. and were automatically stored in a Proxy folder as MP4 rather than the main folder as LRF)
2023-11-3
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

lrf file for fast upload to yt
2023-11-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

lol I simply copy then do my work and when done delete it all just a waste of time asking DJI to hide things today .  seems no one listens, they sure do, they are told to   hear what we say and nothing more
2023-11-4
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-11-28 02:42

DJI support are not sincere. The same was requested years ago but had never been implemented. Those lo-res files are taking 30% card space and are useless for most of users.
Looks like DJI lacks skilled engineers to come up with better solution. Luclily storage is getting cheaper
2023-11-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

utkin Posted at 11-5 02:30
DJI support are not sincere. The same was requested years ago but had never been implemented. Those lo-res files are taking 30% card space and are useless for most of users.
Looks like DJI lacks skilled engineers to come up with better solution. Luclily storage is getting cheaper

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will continue to let such feedback reach the designated team for consideration. Currently, there is no option to disable the LRF files when recording but you can manually delete these files. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-11-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So why do other camera companies have the Option already when purchasing to  enable and disable   the lrf files?    this is a simple firmware  update of switching off the lrf files that a Major or should we say a very small company does not know how to do?
2023-11-6
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Agree.
This means either lack of commitment towards end users or lack of competence of the tech staff.
And those endless "we are sorry" from the support guys without any real action are also annoying
2023-11-12
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

, whichi

We understand your expectation.
All replay, from the screen on action or from mimo,  just uses the lrf instead of decoding a 4k resolution original video, which saves alot computing and battery from camera.
So they are very fundamental construction for playback.
that is why lrf is still there.

we might consider lower the lrf birate to gain more space for SD card. however it will sacrifice playback iq especially on mimo.
2023-11-12
Use props
naked_techie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68970 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 11-12 19:20
We understand your expectation.
All replay, from the screen on action or from mimo,  just uses the lrf instead of decoding a 4k resolution original video, which saves alot computing and battery from camera.
So they are very fundamental construction for playback.

Out of curiosity, if someone doesn't care about watching playback on the device or the mimo app, if the option to disable the lrf files existing would there be a significant extension to the battery life as well as more space on the sdcard?
2023-11-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI can make it like a gopro where you Plug the sucker in via the camera see no LRF files, but when removing  the sdxc card you see them, Either way, the LRF files are there.  so  no matter what we do, it will not be gone if they hide it so that is why we see them.
2023-11-13
Use props
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

lutzmix Posted at 11-4 02:50
lrf file for fast upload to yt

That too, I use it to slow down my footage (I use a crappy video editing software (clipchamp, i know))
.. or to upload snippets from a video to quickly upload, as you do!
2023-11-14
Use props
Vojtech Papacek
lvl.2
Czechia

naked_techie Posted at 11-13 00:01
Out of curiosity, if someone doesn't care about watching playback on the device or the mimo app, if the option to disable the lrf files existing would there be a significant extension to the battery life as well as more space on the sdcard?

Many people need this feature, who would say "no" to free storage?
2023-11-14
Use props
anthony.anthonyanzalone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 927300 ft
  • >>>
United States

I shoot with 2 A4's and a P3 for multicam.  I started using the .LRF files as proxies in Adobe Premiere and never looked back.

I wrote a powershell script that copies my 4k footage to a folder and it's matching .LRF file to a "proxies" subfolder.  As it copies it appends "_proxy" to the end of the file name and changes the extension to .MP4.

The script has to do some work in order to correctly pair the high-res footage to the .LRF which would take a bit of explaining.  It also standardizes the file names across A4, P2 and P3 cameras.  (The script uses the the A4 file name convention because it embeds the date and time) This way when you look at ALL of the files in the folder they can be sorted by file name (date)

If anyone is interested in my PS script I'd be more than happy to share and explain.

From there I import the 4k footage into premiere and then attach the proxy files.  

This workflow has dramatically sped up my editing, especially multicam stuff.
1-3 05:24
Use props
NaturePi
lvl.1
United States

Just upgraded my Osmo Action One to 4... and ended up having over 360+ files on my SD Card in one day!... red this forum also... people got the same issues...

DJI what a heck the reason of making those LRF 720p files?! Can someone of your seniors engineers explain? If it is proxy files then it's got to be same MP4 file extension in a different folder...battery life drops to 60 min because of this process! TAKE IT OFF! Make FW update with a flag to turn LRF files recording off.
ALSO... Fake 10bit 4-2-0 CP LE in REc709? WTf? An elephant in a small room in the LOG file? What IS the point? Where is Rec2020+ standard Color Space?

Put back normal HDR or HLG profile(from Pocket 3) with 10bit REC2020 Color Space!
At last,  what are Video Stream 4 and 5 purpose? One is GPS? Second? Did you tested Imports besides your App in other Video Editors? Where is the documentation for this?
Thanks!
1-23 16:14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

anthony.anthonyanzalone Posted at 1-3 05:24
I shoot with 2 A4's and a P3 for multicam.  I started using the .LRF files as proxies in Adobe Premiere and never looked back.

I wrote a powershell script that copies my 4k footage to a folder and it's matching .LRF file to a "proxies" subfolder.  As it copies it appends "_proxy" to the end of the file name and changes the extension to .MP4.

HI, I have the OA4 and i have to use proxies when dealing 4k, i use Premiere Pro 2024.

I would very much like to use your script, please.

I have used them already but i did encounter a wee problem when i recorded in 4k/100fps, the .LRF were only in 25fps so i couldn't use them as they were sped up 4x or more. i cant remember if i had to forget them and encode new proxies or if i re-encoded them to 100fps, it was one or the other, but i do remember that the sound was still too fast after re-encoding them.

Have you encountered anything like that when using higher than 25fps
1-23 16:52
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NaturePi Posted at 1-23 16:14
Just upgraded my Osmo Action One to 4... and ended up having over 360+ files on my SD Card in one day!... red this forum also... people got the same issues...

DJI what a heck the reason of making those LRF 720p files?! Can someone of your seniors engineers explain? If it is proxy files then it's got to be same MP4 file extension in a different folder...battery life drops to 60 min because of this process! TAKE IT OFF! Make FW update with a flag to turn LRF files recording off.

LRF's are needed for smooth playback on the camera.

If you do not need them, just delete them, simples

What evidence do you have to say the 10bit is fake?
1-23 17:07
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules